PDA

View Full Version : Cris Carter: JuJu Smith-Schuster isn't a No. 1 receiver

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 03:18 PM
In fairness to the incorrect and exceedingly hot take that is about to be presented, Cris Carter did, in fact, praise JuJu Smith-Schuster to some extent. He said that he thinks he's "a special player." He threw plenty of praise to the rest of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense as well, and that's where problems came in. In his eyes, defenses can't focus on Smith-Schuster because of stars like Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, and that played a part in his success as a rookie. And so, on his Fox Sports 1 show First Thing's First, Carter declared that Smith-Schuster is not a No. 1 receiver.

"I think he will have a legitimate strong second season, but let’s not fool ourselves. He’s not a No. 1 guy. JuJu needs to realize that, ‘I need to stay over here behind AB, and be able to get the benefit of having him on my roster,’ those guys that are No. 2s wanting to be No. 1s, they make some critical mistakes in their career."

read more

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Cris-Carter-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-isnt-a-No-1-receiver-121119570/

teegre
09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Okay... and??? :huh:

Any wideout lining up opposite of AB is going to be the #2.

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 03:26 PM
In fairness to the incorrect and exceedingly hot take that is about to be presented, Cris Carter did, in fact, praise JuJu Smith-Schuster to some extent. He said that he thinks he's "a special player." He threw plenty of praise to the rest of the Pittsburgh Steelers offense as well, and that's where problems came in. In his eyes, defenses can't focus on Smith-Schuster because of stars like Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell, and that played a part in his success as a rookie. And so, on his Fox Sports 1 show First Thing's First, Carter declared that Smith-Schuster is not a No. 1 receiver.

"I think he will have a legitimate strong second season, but let’s not fool ourselves. He’s not a No. 1 guy. JuJu needs to realize that, ‘I need to stay over here behind AB, and be able to get the benefit of having him on my roster,’ those guys that are No. 2s wanting to be No. 1s, they make some critical mistakes in their career."

read more

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Cris-Carter-JuJu-Smith-Schuster-isnt-a-No-1-receiver-121119570/

I guess I missed JuJu saying he was the #1 receiver but you cannot go wrong taking advice from someone who screwed up the early years of his NFL careeer with substance abuse problems

pczach
09-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Exactly.

Every single WR in the NFL that lines up opposite of AB would be a #2 WR.

I don't know if JuJu is a future #1 WR. What I do know is that this team already has the best WR the NFL has seen in quite a while. They also have some other weapons and a quarterback that can get them the ball.

Just another attention-grabbing statement to make noise before the season starts. If the Steelers biggest problem is worrying about whether a second year WR is worthy of being a #1 WR while they already have the best WR in football...….it's going to be a great year.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I missed JuJu saying he was the #1 receiver but you cannot go wrong taking advice from someone who screwed up the early years of his NFL careeer with substance abuse problems

Football gave him a scrambled brain and made him do it...…..None of that was his fault...….he can't control his actions. :sarcasm:

SteelerCountry58
09-03-2018, 04:15 PM
The sky is blue and the grass is green.

st33lersguy
09-03-2018, 09:56 PM
He doesn't need to be. I swear these guys just want to hear themselves talk sometimes

tube517
09-03-2018, 10:20 PM
More elevator music

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 12:17 AM
Not only are all of you guys absolutely correct about Carter’s stupid comments, Carter is even MORE WRONG than for the obvious reason that anyone behind AB would be a #2.

Ju-Ju was great even when he DID NOT have AB in the line up.

From the article:

But for what it's worth, Smith-Schuster has already proven what he can do without Brown on the field. Brown missed most of the final three games of the 2017 season, in which Smith-Schuster caught 21 passes for 332 yards and two scores. When Martavis Bryant missed last season's matchup with the Detroit Lions, Smith-Schuster caught seven passes for 193 yards and a touchdown. Carter's argument is that Smith-Schuster wouldn't be able to dominate without other great receivers making his life easier, and yet that entire argument falls apart the moment you look at what he has done with those other receivers out. Smith-Schuster gets better with a bigger role, not worse. And he will prove that this season.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Not only are all of you guys absolutely correct about Carter’s stupid comments, Carter is even MORE WRONG than for the obvious reason that anyone behind AB would be a #2.

Ju-Ju was great even when he DID NOT have AB in the line up.

From the article:

But for what it's worth, Smith-Schuster has already proven what he can do without Brown on the field. Brown missed most of the final three games of the 2017 season, in which Smith-Schuster caught 21 passes for 332 yards and two scores. When Martavis Bryant missed last season's matchup with the Detroit Lions, Smith-Schuster caught seven passes for 193 yards and a touchdown. Carter's argument is that Smith-Schuster wouldn't be able to dominate without other great receivers making his life easier, and yet that entire argument falls apart the moment you look at what he has done with those other receivers out. Smith-Schuster gets better with a bigger role, not worse. And he will prove that this season. Well said and think JuJu can be a 1 wr for a lot of teams and we are so blessed we don't need him to be. Wait a few weeks to the Steelers play in prime time and the commentators will be praising our wr core including Washington.

j-d-s
09-04-2018, 03:19 AM
The real question is how Juju would perform without a great QB like Ben. We had one Mike Wallace once, who was a #1 receiver, but thought it was wise to go to teams bad QBs. Similar with Emmanuel Sanders... since Peyton retired, he's had a dumpster fire of QBs in Denver.

pczach
09-04-2018, 05:36 AM
The real question is how Juju would perform without a great QB like Ben. We had one Mike Wallace once, who was a #1 receiver, but thought it was wise to go to teams bad QBs. Similar with Emmanuel Sanders... since Peyton retired, he's had a dumpster fire of QBs in Denver.

The thing is, it has already been shown that even AB struggles to put up numbers when Ben isn't in the lineup. The quality of the quarterback is always some factor in the production of the weapons on that particular team.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 09:54 AM

And Wheaton has no job at the moment, same for Martavis, although we have to admit it's because Bryant is an idiot.

But I think JuJu is the real deal and he's going to have a solid career if he stays healthy and does not have a bad QB.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 09:58 AM
some of these paid talking heads start rambling and all I hear is this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Fire Goodell
09-04-2018, 11:36 AM

/thread

86WARD
09-04-2018, 12:26 PM
It could be argued that Carter himself wasn’t really a number one receiver. Mike Quick, Kenny Jackson, Anthony Carter, Randy Moss all had better numbers than Cris Carter at times...

lipps83
09-04-2018, 06:37 PM
The sky is blue and the grass is green.

Actually, the sky is transparent and doesn't have a color. The blue comes from the sunlight traveling through the atmosphere.

Grass is also not green. Its color is actually a brown (depending on the type of grass). The green comes from chlorophyll being active, which is green. This is why leaves are also green in spring and summer, but in fall when they no longer absorb sunlight to convert into energy, they turn into reds, yellows and many other colors. Those reds and yellows are the actual colors of the leaves.

That isn't even quite true, the deeper you look into it.

This isn't even going into the fact that the colors that you see, is the one color the thing you are looking at, actually isn't. A red stop sign isn't actually red, the red you see is the one color it does not absorb and reflects back to you. It is all the other colors of the rainbow, but that one.

The colors that you see, is the color that one thing isn't.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-829f09f5383354ddd4a97119910d084f.webp

Craic
09-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Actually, the sky is transparent and doesn't have a color. The blue comes from the sunlight traveling through the atmosphere.

Grass is also not green. Its color is actually a brown (depending on the type of grass). The green comes from chlorophyll being active, which is green. This is why leaves are also green in spring and summer, but in fall when they no longer absorb sunlight to convert into energy, they turn into reds, yellows and many other colors. Those reds and yellows are the actual colors of the leaves.

That isn't even quite true, the deeper you look into it.

This isn't even going into the fact that the colors that you see, is the one color the thing you are looking at, actually isn't. A red stop sign isn't actually red, the red you see is the one color it does not absorb and reflects back to you. It is all the other colors of the rainbow, but that one.

The colors that you see, is the color that one thing isn't.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-829f09f5383354ddd4a97119910d084f.webp

What do you mean by red or green? The color you label red could be wlas-2 or ss0s. "Red" is just an arbitrary symbol attached to visual experience, and it makes you dependent on someone agreeing with your language game for it to continue with that sign.

I'd post a snappy picture, but I'm not sure of the meaning to anyone else. :chuckle:

lipps83
09-04-2018, 06:54 PM
What do you mean by red or green? The color you label red could be wlas-2 or ss0s. "Red" is just an arbitrary symbol attached to visual experience, and it makes you dependent on someone agreeing with your language game for it to continue with that sign.

I'd post a snappy picture, but I'm not sure of the meaning to anyone else. :chuckle:

hahaha, sorry for my little rant but I have been studying the nature of light for a long time, and had to use that as an opportunity to express some of that knowledge.

You are in a way, also correct maybe without even knowing it. There is a tribe out there that does not know the color blue, they see it as green. They have 100's of names for shades of green, but they cannot see blue because they never separated it out from the other colors. They see it as green. Some are starting to even think color blindness may not even be a defect, but a carry over from when we were only able to see a few colors.

Here is a short synopsis article on that research.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-didn-t-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-evidence-science

Hawkman
09-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Would that be Pantone #485 or #187. :noidea::heh:

fansince'76
09-05-2018, 04:17 AM
So, does that mean Juju doesn't need to line up a "fall guy?"

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 06:46 AM

teegre
09-26-2018, 06:50 AM

10 games is a reasonable sample-size, which extrapolates over a season to be:

109 receptions
1,667 yards
8 TDs

pczach
09-26-2018, 04:21 PM
10 games is a reasonable sample-size, which extrapolates over a season to be:

109 receptions
1,667 yards
8 TDs

The kid is a stud.

He is also funny as hell and extremely likeable.

They made a great pick when they selected him.

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 05:54 PM
JuJu would be a first receiver for a lot of teams right now, including some very good teams or offense.

He is a special player.

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 06:06 PM
JuJu would be a first receiver for a lot of teams right now, including some very good teams or offense.

He is a special player.
He's our #1 the first three games...

Mojouw
09-26-2018, 09:10 PM
The kid is a stud.

He is also funny as hell and extremely likeable.

They made a great pick when they selected him.

I've never been so glad to be wrong about a pick. I simply didn't get it at the time and was really swayed by several pre-draft scouting reports that severely questioned Juju's ability to get open in the NFL.

pczach
09-27-2018, 05:52 AM
I've never been so glad to be wrong about a pick. I simply didn't get it at the time and was really swayed by several pre-draft scouting reports that severely questioned Juju's ability to get open in the NFL.

I can understand people not believing in him if they didn't watch him play very much. I had gotten to see him play a lot of football, and I saw all the things in him that stats alone don't tell you.

When the team drafted him, it was a bit of a surprise, but I did tell everyone to give the kid a chance....and that they would love him.

He isn't a burner, but he's faster than you think. He is a big, strong guy that has strong hands. He runs great routes, but also has the football IQ and instincts to work with a QB when the play breaks down. He's great after the catch, and runs with the power of a running back. He is an excellent blocker and will flat out crush people. He plays with a love and enthusiasm for the game that is contagious, and he plays at full speed at all times. He is a great kid.

When you add all that together, it transcends the 40 time and people looking at stats and shuttle times.

The kid can flat out play football. You strive to find guys like this on your team.

polamalubeast
09-27-2018, 05:23 PM

polamalubeast
09-28-2018, 03:08 PM

Fire Goodell
09-28-2018, 03:37 PM

I think Juju is not so much re-inventing the way slot WR is played, but taking a page of what worked with some aging veterans. Traditionally slot WR's were quick and shifty smaller receivers that worked well in space, or aging veterans who lost a step.

In recent memory, there were a couple of those aging veterans who put together successful seasons moving to slot, most notably Hines Ward and Larry Fitzgerald. Not only did they have production from the receiving / TD numbers, but having a physical, big bodied WR in the slot tremendously helps the running and short passing game if they can block (as we've seen many times from Ward. Fitz also isn't a bad blocker either).

Juju honestly is the first big bodied receiver I've seen drafted with the sole purpose of taking the slot WR position and becoming a star from that role. He's become that Hines Ward type of player we've been missing since he left. A physical presence as a blocker and the guy you throw it to when you need a first down.

DesertSteel
09-29-2018, 10:09 AM
I like the Anquan Boldin comparison for Juju.

pczach
09-29-2018, 12:48 PM
I like the Anquan Boldin comparison for Juju.

During the draft process, people wanted to know what type of a receiver he was.....who he compares to. I said Anquan Boldin and Hines Ward. Sort of the best parts of both of them. They were the two guys that immediately came to mind when I thought about his skillset and his game in general.

polamalubeast
11-20-2018, 07:25 AM

st33lersguy
11-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Don't look now but Juju already has over 1,000 yards for the season and is leading the team in receptions and yards.

Hawkman
11-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Don't look now but Juju already has over 1,000 yards for the season and is leading the team in receptions and yards.

....but he’s not a number one receiver!:chuckle:

Istina
11-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Including Carter. :tt02:

DesertSteel
11-28-2018, 01:51 PM
1st in receptions for AFC and 2nd in yardage.