PDA

View Full Version : Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert issued the following statement regarding Le'Veon Bell

86WARD
09-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert issued the following statement regarding Le'Veon Bell

We are disappointed Le'Veon Bell has not signed his franchise tender and rejoined his teammates. Coach Tomlin and the coaching staff will continue to focus on preparing the players on our roster for our regular season opener on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Source: https://www.steelers.com/_mobileview/news/statement-from-colbert-on-bell

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 10:28 AM
I hope he will not play another snap with the steelers

Steelers do not need a headache and drama like Bell.

vader29
09-03-2018, 10:28 AM

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert issued the following statement regarding Le'Veon Bell

We are disappointed Le'Veon Bell has not signed his franchise tender and rejoined his teammates. Coach Tomlin and the coaching staff will continue to focus on preparing the players on our roster for our regular season opener on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Source: https://www.steelers.com/_mobileview/news/statement-from-colbert-on-bell

Who knows - maybe Bell thinks he can get his $$$ now since Khalil Mack just did it by forcing a trade?

Or he decided not to report today to spite Gerry Dulac for reporting he would show up on Labor Day? :noidea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhgllqSKro#action=share

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 11:02 AM

this

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 11:14 AM
I've never disliked a Steeler player more than I do Leave Bell.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I like our current stable of RBs. Not gonna miss his 4.0 or his personality.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 11:20 AM
I've never disliked a Steeler player more than I do Leave Bell.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I like our current stable of RBs. Not gonna miss his 4.0 or his personality.

Bell thinks bigger than the team

Bell was irreplaceable when it was Josh Harris, Jonathan Dwyer or Issac Redman his backup, but when we had a competent backup like an old DeAngelo Williams in 2015, we were fine .... actually in the second half of 2015 without Bell, the steelers were 6-2 with 30 points or more in 6 of his games and 3 of his games were against a top 5 defense

We have enough talent on offense, the success of this offense will depend on Ben, Brown, JuJu,the o-line,etc .... Conner just needs to be competent and be able to catch some ball like in the game against the titans in preseason.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Dwinsgames
09-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Wednesday I would hand him the tag let him sign and start making calls around the league and see what 6-10 or less team from last year wants to offer ...to Siberia you go !!

Neversatisfied
09-03-2018, 12:29 PM
I'd imagine a a good number of his teammates wish the Steelers would rescind the tag and ship Bell off. When you hear the word 'Teammate' you think of a person that acts for the good of the entire team not just himself, I think we all get that he wants to be paid but just put yourself in the shoes of one of the guys in the locker room. Bell walks in looking pissed/cocky giving hi fives saying shit like 'I bet ya'll missed me, I'm back baby' and some players have to think of him as an asshole, I know I would! His attitude is toxic, its 6 days before opening day and he's forcing ownership to make statements regarding him as if the Steelersuniverse ( baa-zing) revolves around him.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Wednesday I would hand him the tag let him sign and start making calls around the league and see what 6-10 or less team from last year wants to offer ...to Siberia you go !!

:iagree:

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 12:32 PM

Great - maybe Bell can get his record for playing in season openers to .500

10 Rush, 32 yards

DNP (suspension)

DNP (suspension)

21 Rush, 109 yards

DNP (foot)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24566831/steelers-disappointed-leveon-bell-not-reporting-camp

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 12:43 PM

I would do that of course if I were the steelers.

The drama of Bell is much worse than Santonio Holmes when the steelers gave Holmes to the jets in 2010 and I do not care if it's only a 5th round pick that I would have in return for Bell and yes I know that the steelers are going to have a 3rd round compensation pick for the 2020 draft if they do not trade Bell when Bell will sign with another team, but I do not care about this pick right now

I prefer he does not play another snap with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Edman
09-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again.

I'm perfectly content with James Conner/Jaylen Samuels combo for 2018. We got the best out of Bell, and now its time to go.

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 12:45 PM
I'd imagine a a good number of his teammates wish the Steelers would rescind the tag and ship Bell off. When you hear the word 'Teammate' you think of a person that acts for the good of the entire team not just himself, I think we all get that he wants to be paid but just put yourself in the shoes of one of the guys in the locker room. Bell walks in looking pissed/cocky giving hi fives saying shit like 'I bet ya'll missed me, I'm back baby' and some players have to think of him as an asshole, I know I would! His attitude is toxic, its 6 days before opening day and he's forcing ownership to make statements regarding him as if the Steelersuniverse ( baa-zing) revolves around him.

There was not much resentment of Khalil Mack from his teammates when he held out to force a trade in Oakland

I would bet players resent how the NFL setup can string along players from getting the big contract after their rookie contract, in a game where a career like Shazier's can end on one hit, a lot more than they do a teammate expressing his dislike of that system.

For us it's a game - for the players, coaches, front office, and owners it's a business.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 12:48 PM
WWCD

What would Chuckie do?

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 12:53 PM

Mojouw
09-03-2018, 12:53 PM
I honestly think that fans care and coaches care because they are paid to worry about everything. But I do not think players give two flying frigs. They understand that the NFL is a cold and calculating business and keep their emotions out of it, for the most part.

Another way of reading Foster's statement above is that he didn't notice because he doesn't care and it doesn't really bother him because he is going to prepare and do his job the same way no matter what.

I think we, as fans, often project the attitudes and feelings of a high school locker-room onto an NFL team. I suspect that it is far far different.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 01:06 PM
I think that players who care about winning championships care about whether other key players show up and and do their jobs. Training camp and preseason are one thing, but game week is another. I think they do care and Foster's statement is more/less saying that he believes Bell cares about his teammates and winning a championship. He might show up, but I don't share Foster's feelings.

Dwinsgames
09-03-2018, 01:12 PM
nothing would please me more than he be traded soon after he signs ...

I never hope for players to get hurt ( unless it is burfict ) but in this case if Bell decides to show up mid week a car accident and a broken leg on the way to the office would feel pretty just and deserving IMO non football injury list for the year oh wait no pay because injury is not football related and did not happen during a signed contract .... OOPS

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 01:13 PM
I think that players who care about winning championships care about whether other key players show up and and do their jobs. Training camp and preseason are one thing, but game week is another. I think they do care and Foster's statement is more/less saying that he believes Bell cares about his teammates and winning a championship. He might show up, but I don't share Foster's feelings.

And it's not like as if the steelers have offered a cheap contract to Bell and that Bell was to make only 3-4 million in 2018.Bell is going to have 14-15 million in 2018 and it was 11-12 million last year and he holdout both times!

Antonio Brown could have easily holdout in 2015 or 2016 when he was underpaid ... He was frustrated by his contract, no doubt, but at least he never missed a training camp and he acted like a professional and if he would have holdout in one of his 2 years, the steelers would have been in the big trouble because of the suspensions of Bryant and Bell.

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Wait, the first game is against the Browns? We don't even need him for that. The minute he signs the deal, they should suspend him for one game for conduct detrimental to the team. Then while he's still in the room, take the $1 million he just lost and give it to Brown or Juju or some other player who can actually be bothered to show up and work hard. Preferably in cash, in a sack with a dollar sign on it. Seriously, fuck that guy.

JayC
09-03-2018, 01:20 PM
my feelings about L Bell are that he should

https://media.tenor.com/images/3f2a2d8ae3ba4891432ef87e37c5c089/tenor.gif

Dwinsgames
09-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Lev Bell spells team .....

I-ME-I-ME-I

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 01:23 PM
"Table for Bell, party of three? Me, me, me?"

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 01:44 PM

Neversatisfied
09-03-2018, 02:00 PM

THIS ^^^ is the the most irritating part of it all, a guy like James Conner who fights and beats cancer all showing up to practice directly after Chemotherapy, busts his ass to prove himself in the NFL and then Lev Bell walks in and says 'take a seat' then Bell takes his place as #1 running back.

Mojouw
09-03-2018, 02:09 PM
THIS ^^^ is the the most irritating part of it all, a guy like James Conner who fights and beats cancer all showing up to practice directly after Chemotherapy, busts his ass to prove himself in the NFL and then Lev Bell walks in and says 'take a seat' then Bell takes his place as #1 running back.

Right. Because this isn't a youth league team where any of that matters. It is a brutal business where talent trumps everything all day every day and twice on Sundays.

Until proven differently in rigorous NFL regular season games, Bell is a superior RB to James Conner.

It does not matter that Bell is an egocentric jack-ass. As long as he leaves it all on the field on Sundays, the other members of the locker-room will back him up and until his talent fades to the point that Conner can overtake him, this stuff will continue to matter to fans and not really matter to players.

Every time a player holds out or gets into a contract dispute with their team, the other players close ranks and back them to the hilt. Most recently we saw this with Donald, OBJ, and Mack.

lipps83
09-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Hopefully Conner plays Bell out of the starting job through the season. Nothing would be sweeter than Bell being a number 2 each and every game.

Should get Bell 7-8 million per year from some dumb team.

Only thing that would suck is the money Steelers spent on him this year.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Right. Because this isn't a youth league team where any of that matters. It is a brutal business where talent trumps everything all day every day and twice on Sundays.

Until proven differently in rigorous NFL regular season games, Bell is a superior RB to James Conner.

It does not matter that Bell is an egocentric jack-ass. As long as he leaves it all on the field on Sundays, the other members of the locker-room will back him up and until his talent fades to the point that Conner can overtake him, this stuff will continue to matter to fans and not really matter to players.

Every time a player holds out or gets into a contract dispute with their team, the other players close ranks and back them to the hilt. Most recently we saw this with Donald, OBJ, and Mack.

The problem is that Bell will not be ready for the season.

I know that Bell is better than Conner in a normal situation, but steelers do not need an all pro running back to be successful .... Only need to be a little above average as runner and as receiver.

The other thing is that Bell is a major distraction, so if I would be Tomlin and Colbert, I would do the same treatment that Santonio Holmes had in 2010, the last time that the steelers had been in the super bowl ....

No one is bigger than the team .... at least not at the level that Bell has been for a good while

BlackAndGold
09-03-2018, 02:18 PM

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 02:19 PM

I hope

silver & black
09-03-2018, 02:20 PM
I honestly think that fans care and coaches care because they are paid to worry about everything. But I do not think players give two flying frigs. They understand that the NFL is a cold and calculating business and keep their emotions out of it, for the most part.

Another way of reading Foster's statement above is that he didn't notice because he doesn't care and it doesn't really bother him because he is going to prepare and do his job the same way no matter what.

I think we, as fans, often project the attitudes and feelings of a high school locker-room onto an NFL team. I suspect that it is far far different.

Yep. I've just gone through it with a certain Bears player. :wink02:

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 02:22 PM
I believe Mike Wallace's distraction hurt the steelers in 2012.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice talent to have a better chemistry in the locker room.

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Now, let's think about why they would do that.

Any intelligent person would realize that whatever record-breaking deal another player signs - it comes at their own expense because there is now less cap space for everyone else.

So while it's tempting to think "Yeah! Our brother is sticking it to the greedy owners!" ... in reality he is just sticking it to the other players. They're all drinking from the same milkshake.

The strictly rational approach would be for players to be closely aware of what others are being paid, and not be happy when someone is getting far more than he's worth, because that's literally money that is coming out of your own pocket. Unless you are a superstar yourself, meaning in the top 1 or 2 players on a team who could hope to land such a mega-deal, it would be in your own self-interest if the superstars got less money so that the average for the rank-and-file players would be a bit more.

Unless it's based on simplistic emotions rather than cold, calculating business ... or you know, the exact opposite of what you said matters.

As far as the Bell situation itself is concerned, it now goes beyond money because the jackass is doing stuff that likely affects the team. If I was on a sports team of any kind, and our best player (well, debatable, maybe one of the best three players) showed up late and obviously unprepared, I would be kind of pissed given that I'd spent all day for the last 2 or 3 months getting ready for the season and now he's negatively affecting my chances of winning. Even more pissed if it was a sports team where you got paid, and he was getting paid more than me to do that and couldn't be bothered to take it seriously.

Mojouw
09-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Now, let's think about why they would do that.

Any intelligent person would realize that whatever record-breaking deal another player signs - it comes at their own expense because there is now less cap space for everyone else.

So while it's tempting to think "Yeah! Our brother is sticking it to the greedy owners!" ... in reality he is just sticking it to the other players.

The strictly rational approach would be for players to be closely aware of what others are being paid, and not be happy when someone is getting far more than he's worth, because that's literally money that is coming out of your own pocket. Unless you are a superstar yourself, meaning in the top 1 or 2 players on a team who could hope to land such a mega-deal, it would be in your own self-interest if the superstars got less money so that the average for the rank-and-file players would be a bit more.

Unless it's based on simplistic emotions rather than cold, calculating business ... or you know, the exact opposite of what you said matters.

As far as the Bell situation itself is concerned, it now goes beyond money because the jackass is doing stuff that likely affects the team. If I was on a sports team of any kind, and our best player (well, debatable, maybe one of the best three players) showed up late and obviously unprepared, I would be kind of pissed given that I'd spent all day for the last 2 or 3 months getting ready for the season and now he's negatively affecting my chances of winning. Even more pissed if it was a sports team where you got paid, and he was getting paid more than me to do that and couldn't be bothered to take it seriously.

That's a pretty big assumption -- that the players are generally intelligent.

Most of these guys believe in themselves first, second, and last. And even though they are bottom of the roster guys, they figure they are a handful of games away from "breaking out" and getting that top tier dollars.

teegre
09-03-2018, 03:03 PM
When Bell shows up (my guess: Week 10), I hope that he gets 250+ yards-from-scrimmage per game.

Why would I root for a player on my team to suck? :huh: I do not understand that logic. I get trading him, because that would get us something in return. But, to root for Bell to suck makes zero sense.

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 03:16 PM
That's a pretty big assumption -- that the players are generally intelligent.

Most of these guys believe in themselves first, second, and last. And even though they are bottom of the roster guys, they figure they are a handful of games away from "breaking out" and getting that top tier dollars.

That's still the opposite of cold and calculating business.

Like, if I thought I was about to break out and become a big star, surely I would realize that the more money that is not tied up in some other big contract, the more there is for me, right?

This is assuming I was not interested in moving to Oakland or Washington, D.C.

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 03:18 PM

As opposed to the morality of the franchise QB placing the 2010 season in jeopardy by incurring a 4 game suspension for allegations of sexual assault and then being handed the starting QB job when he returned?

As Mojouw posted, Tomlin is not handing out participation trophies because you are a good guy - if you are the better player you play regardless of how big a jackass someone like Bell may be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAlrzcdfRY

86WARD
09-03-2018, 03:20 PM

Bell is a better football player. If he’s ready to go, you play him. Unless you have Todd Gurley on your team.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 03:26 PM
As opposed to the morality of the franchise QB placing the 2010 season in jeopardy by incurring a 4 game suspension for allegations of sexual assault and then being handed the starting QB job when he returned?

As Mojouw posted, Tomlin is not handing out participation trophies because you are a good guy - if you are the better player you play regardless of how big a jackass someone like Bell may be

The steelers also gave our super bowl hero one year before(Santonio Holmes) to the jets for nothing in this offseason. Talent is important, but chemistry is very important too.

- - - Updated - - -

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2018, 03:40 PM
When Bell shows up (my guess: Week 10), I hope that he gets 250+ yards-from-scrimmage per game.

Why would I root for a player on my team to suck? :huh: I do not understand that logic. I get trading him, because that would get us something in return. But, to root for Bell to suck makes zero sense.

I agree. Why do fans take things about pro sports personally? I don't think any pro athlete cares about my work situation?? So when he shows up, hope that he produces and when he is too expensive to be .

I was thinking that Bell was adamant that he never said he was going to report today, so just out of principle he was gonna show up the next day. It may still happen, but I think the team gameplans with Connor as the starter for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Bell is a better football player. If he’s ready to go, you play him. Unless you have Todd Gurley on your team.

agreed, you play the better football player, not the guy with the better comeback story. That being said, Bell has had no carries and no time with the offense....I think opening day you start Connor and sprinkle some reps in for Bell IF he reports.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 03:57 PM
If we didn’t take things personally we wouldn’t be fans. And we wouldn’t be on a message board talking about it. That’s Fandom 101.

SteelerCountry58
09-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Love what Bell brings to our team but the drama has worn me out. So sick of this nitwit, I really don’t care anymore. I root for the logo and the Burgh’s faithful. The team marches on regardless! Let’s go!!

86WARD
09-03-2018, 05:17 PM
There really hasn’t been any drama. The guy is holding out. It’s what players that aren’t getting paid what they think they should be paid do. It’s not dramatic at all. Rod Woodson did it. Hines Ward did it. It’s really not that big a deal. It’s a hold out.

HollywoodSteel
09-03-2018, 05:43 PM
He is just stupid not to be here today. He had a chance to improve his relationship to the fans. He chose not to.

I think the Steelers should give themselves the best chance of winning. But if we get a big lead, make Bell close it out. Give him every single meaningless carry. Let him get hit way more times than necessary. Shake the rust off him. Then shake even more off him.

- - - Updated - - -

Make him play special teams too.

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 05:54 PM
He is just stupid not to be here today. He had a chance to improve his relationship to the fans. He chose not to.

Improve his relationship with the fans? :sofunny:

This quote describing how Keith Olbermann left ESPN fits for Bell's relationship with Steelers fans

"He didn't burn bridges here, he napalmed them."

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Make him play special teams too.

That would be the best thing that Tomlin could do!

I mean, Bell was disrespectful, not just for his holdout, but for his tweets, etc, so that would be a strong message for the entire team to put him on the coverage in the special teams!

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Steelers won’t be petty but you can bet they are exploring every avenue for leverage.

Neversatisfied
09-03-2018, 06:18 PM

I agree however when Bell refuses to show up for practice and preseason games it affects the whole offense not just Bell, Bell will no doubt have some rust to knock off not to mention getting in sync with Ben and the offensive line. This isn't quite as innocent or without drawbacks as many Would like to think.

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Steelers won’t be petty but you can bet they are exploring every avenue for leverage.

The leverage is he is gone after this season so you run the wheels off him - no worries about millions in guaranteed $$ after this season that hit the salary cap if his productivity goes off a cliff after 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7zkd0kRS4

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 06:38 PM
The leverage is he is gone after this season so you run the wheels off him - no worries about millions in guaranteed $$ after this season that hit the salary cap if his productivity goes off a cliff after 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo7zkd0kRS4
I meant leverage in relation to a no-show/holdout.

ETL
09-03-2018, 06:52 PM
If I was Bell, I would do the same thing as my time as an NFL RB is limited and this is my only leverage.

However, I would treat it as business and be quiet about it and not put out all the drama. Why? Because, that is bad business.

As a Steeler fan - Le’Veon Schemeveon. If he’s here great. If he’s not - I root for the players that are here and don’t care for those that aren’t.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 06:57 PM
If I was Bell, I would do the same thing as my time as an NFL RB is limited and this is my only leverage.

However, I would treat it as business and be quiet about it and not put out all the drama. Why? Because, that is bad business.

As a Steeler fan - Le’Veon Schemeveon. If he’s here great. If he’s not - I root for the players that are here and don’t care for those that aren’t.
You would not show up for game week with no financial advantage related to your absence?

Dwinsgames
09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
The problem is that Bell will not be ready for the season.

I know that Bell is better than Conner in a normal situation, but steelers do not need an all pro running back to be successful .... Only need to be a little above average as runner and as receiver.

The other thing is that Bell is a major distraction, so if I would be Tomlin and Colbert, I would do the same treatment that Santonio Holmes had in 2010, the last time that the steelers had been in the super bowl ....

No one is bigger than the team .... at least not at the level that Bell has been for a good while

I am not certain Bell is superior to Conner as a runner...

look Bell averaged a meager 4.0YPC last year behind arguably one of the best lines in football ...

the way Conner runs I am not so sure he could not / would not best that by a significant amount in terms of YPC goes 4.5 is a big increase in terms of judging a RB totals .. 5.0 is huge increase in production over a season of being a feature back ...

300 carries 300 more yards is the difference in 4.0 and 5.0 so quite significant ..

Bells workload and laziness for offseason work , missed training camps and party lifestyle have cost him in terms of effectiveness and now before you blink to many times age is going to start costing him too

go look at HoF RBs and look at season totals from prior to age 27 to post age 27 that is normally where you start to see a drop in production in the YPC category ...Bell was 4.0 does he drop a bit more with another missed camp another party filled off season ? all things to consider

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
I meant leverage in relation to a no-show/holdout.

I do not see how they have any until he reports other than the fact he misses paychecks - the collective bargaining agreement gives him until November to sign the tender and secure credit for a year of service for his exit to free agency in 2019.

If by that point the offense is functioning well without Bell they then could trade him. But if it was just for the rest of the season only contenders presumably would be interested and it is doubtful the Steelers would trade him to a potential AFC playoff opponent. Also unlikely they would get much for a half season rent a player trade. The ultimate cluster would be to lose to a NFC team with Bell in this season's Super Bowl.

Edman
09-03-2018, 07:04 PM
When was the last time the Steelers won the Super Bowl with a single feature back?

You won't find one.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 07:16 PM
I do not see how they have any until he reports other than the fact he misses paychecks - the collective bargaining agreement gives him until November to sign the tender and secure credit for a year of service for his exit to free agency in 2019.

If by that point the offense is functioning well without Bell they then could trade him. But if it was just for the rest of the season only contenders presumably would be interested and it is doubtful the Steelers would trade him to a potential AFC playoff opponent. Also unlikely they would get much for a half season rent a player trade. The ultimate cluster would be to lose to a NFC team with Bell in this season's Super Bowl.
To be even clearer (my apologies): If Bell shows up one or more games late and signs, what are the options that give the Steelers an upper hand? Probably nothing. I agree run his wheels off, but what if Conner is killing it and Bell is sucking?

- - - Updated - - -

look Bell averaged a meager 4.0YPC last year behind arguably one of the best lines in football ...

the way Conner runs I am not so sure he could not / would not best that by a significant amount in terms of YPC goes 4.5 is a big increase in terms of judging a RB totals .. 5.0 is huge increase in production over a season of being a feature back ...

300 carries 300 more yards is the difference in 4.0 and 5.0 so quite significant ..

Bells workload and laziness for offseason work , missed training camps and party lifestyle have cost him in terms of effectiveness and now before you blink to many times age is going to start costing him too

go look at HoF RBs and look at season totals from prior to age 27 to post age 27 that is normally where you start to see a drop in production in the YPC category ...Bell was 4.0 does he drop a bit more with another missed camp another party filled off season ? all things to consider
Bell was never fast to begin with. His lack of homerun ability has always been my complaint with him. Last year, he was markedly slower.

polamalubeast
09-03-2018, 07:21 PM

For Conner, we have to wait, since he has not had a regular season game as starter, but we have seen talented players leaving the steelers and the steelers have rarely suffered,especially at the wide receiver position.

Just remember the situation between Mike Wallace vs Antonio Brown ... Brown became the best WR in the NFL after Wallace left and he had a debate if Brown could be a number one in this league before Wallace leave.

So we have to give Conner the chance and the only thing I want from him is to be above average like the old DeAngelo Williams in 2015 and the steelers are going to be fine, but I would not be surprised if he is better than the version of Williams in 2015 ...

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 07:28 PM
To be even clearer (my apologies): If Bell shows up one or more games late and signs, what are the options that give the Steelers an upper hand? Probably nothing. I agree run his wheels off, but what if Conner is killing it and Bell is sucking?

In that case the Steelers simply guessed wrong when they tied up $14 million under the cap for 2018 on a player they assumed would play a full season at or near an All Pro level.

I still think he reports this week. Not showing up until midseason gives up millions while still being subject to a bad injury after he does report for someone who is all about the money even more than your typical professional athlete.

Dwinsgames
09-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Bell is probably pounding water the last couple days and wants another day or two to continue so he can beat the piss test that is almost assuredly waiting him when he comes into the complex

AtlantaDan
09-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Bell is probably pounding water the last couple days and wants another day or two to continue so he can beat the piss test that is almost assuredly waiting him when he comes into the complex

Maybe he has been failing his own drug screening tests and cannot yet report since he miscalculated when to start getting clean around the 4th of July :noidea:

Here’s a handy table of these average detection windows. Again, these aren’t hard limits. They’re averages. And your body could be extraordinary.

1-time use: clean in 5-8 days

2-4 times a week: 11-18 days

5-6 times a week: 33-48 days

Daily use: 50-65 days, up to 77 days

https://hightimes.com/health/long-thc-stay-urine/

Shoes
09-03-2018, 07:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z9gLokXiLs

vader29
09-03-2018, 08:01 PM

teegre
09-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Reminds me of of one of the most classic Eminem moments.

0:32 through 0:37

And, yes, I have (and still wear) the milk carton t-shirt. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w&app=desktop

lipps83
09-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Maybe he has been failing his own drug screening tests and cannot yet report since he miscalculated when to start getting clean around the 4th of July :noidea:

Here’s a handy table of these average detection windows. Again, these aren’t hard limits. They’re averages. And your body could be extraordinary.

1-time use: clean in 5-8 days

2-4 times a week: 11-18 days

5-6 times a week: 33-48 days

Daily use: 50-65 days, up to 77 days

https://hightimes.com/health/long-thc-stay-urine/

Well folks, I am now convinced THIS is what is really going on with Bell.

ETL
09-03-2018, 08:28 PM
You would not show up for game week with no financial advantage related to your absence?

If I lose 7 mil by not reporting until mid season but then some stupid team like the redskins is gonna give me $60 mil guaranteed and I only exposed myself to 1/2 year of wear and tear - that to me is a good business deal

Steeldude
09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Put Bell on the inactive list.

st33lersguy
09-03-2018, 08:48 PM
This literally accomplishes nothing but show how much of a prick he is and cost him money. He cant get his extension this year

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 08:51 PM
If I lose 7 mil by not reporting until mid season but they some stupid team like the redskins is gonna give me $60 mil guaranteed and I only exposed myself to 1/2 year of wear and tear - that to me is a good business deal
Then you should be his agent, because that's $7M in the hand vs. $_____ in the tree.

ETL
09-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Then you should be his agent, because that's $7M in the hand vs. $_____ in the tree.
If this was always true, I should have gotten a job out of high school and took the money “in the hand” vs going to college and actually losing money with no guarantees for the future.

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 09:19 PM
If I lose 7 mil by not reporting until mid season but then some stupid team like the redskins is gonna give me $60 mil guaranteed and I only exposed myself to 1/2 year of wear and tear - that to me is a good business deal

I would think that voluntarily skipping regular-season games, for no other reason than you are being a jerk, would make teams question whether they should take that big of a risk on you. "Hm, this guy skipped regular-season games just because he's a jerk," they would say. "Someone who's that volatile could randomly decide to screw us over too."

In any case, i don't think any team is going to say "Hey, that guy has five and a half seasons of wear on him, not six full seasons, let's pay him more per year."

Best case, he sits out half a year and gets the same contract he would have anyway, meaning the result was he cost himself $7 million. Truly a 200 IQ business move. But clearly this guy is thinking on a whole different level from us.

DesertSteel
09-03-2018, 09:46 PM
If this was always true, I should have gotten a job out of high school and took the money “in the hand” vs going to college and actually losing money with no guarantees for the future.
Hardly apples to apples.

steelreserve
09-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Hardly apples to apples.

Yeah, a better comparison would be more like, "I know I'm applying for a new job in 6 months - so I'm more likely to get a high-paying one if I start skipping work at my current job and tell my boss to go fuck himself, than if I just showed up and did a good job for 6 months like a normal person."

Actually, that's not even a comparison, it's literally what he's suggesting.

HollywoodSteel
09-03-2018, 11:50 PM
It is absolutely stupid to skip half the year for financial reasons. He could get 14 PLUS a giant deal next year. Instead he’d get 7 million with a horrible reputation and MAYBE the same giant deal, but he’ll be 7 million poorer, just because he wanted to SLIGHTLY lower a chance of injury.

I promise you it would be the wrong move. You know what kind of insurance policy you could buy against a career ending injury for 7 million? The payoff would be more than 70 million

Plus doing it this stupid way he might STILL get injured in the second half and screw himself out 7 mil plus the big next year deal.

In fact, if he gets injured in the beginning of the season at least he’ll have more time to heal. Plus if the longer he’s out of football the more he increases chances of soft tissue injury that could linger and screw up a deal. And even without injury, staying out of football will make it take longer for him to get in his groove with less time left in the season to make up the stats. He’ll just look bad.

With an o line less eager to block for the douche and a head coach who is NOT interested in getting him a better deal. He’d make Bell play special teams. Take a beating as much as possible and put him on offense to mostly block and give Connor all the rushing stats.

I don’t usually wish injury on anyone, but if Bell screws over this team like that the whole league will think he’s a dick. They could take as many cheap shots on him as they want and his teammates would be right not to back him. Ben could pass to him in traffic and get him hammered and he’d deserve it.

Anyway you look at it, sitting out and missing game checks is a stupid economic and life move.

He’ll show up by Wednesday.

teegre
09-04-2018, 06:42 AM
It would be great if Conner performs soooo well that Bell is seen as the second-best RB on the team. It would also be great if Dobbs and/or Rudolph surpasses Big Ben. You know what... wouldn’t it be great if Justin Hunter finally eclipsed AB.

Sarcasm aside...

Conner might be a better runner. Okay. Maybe. But, pass-catching is still Bell’s forté. And, there are few RBs in the NFL who can block anywhere near as good as Bell.

ETL
09-04-2018, 06:57 AM
I can see that no matter what - this thread is going to be a beat up Bell thread. But I am telling you that I completely understand why he is doing this. This is the system that the owners set up - no guaranteed contracts and this franchise player designation system. The only leverage that the player has is what Le’Veon is doing. And I think he knows that he’s not going to get a long term deal from the Steelers.

All the the players know this and that is why they are not criticizing Bell just like the Raiders players did not criticize Mack. Someday, it may be their turn to do the same.

Like me I said earlier, if Bell chooses to be a Steeler this year, I’ll root for him and if he’s not - then I’ll root for the other guy. But I don’t have a bone to pick with a man trying to maximize his earnings.

I personally dont don’t think that more money is what makes a happy football career. I think that Mike Wallace and Neil O’Donnell would have had better football happiness if they stayed as a Steeler than pursue more money somewhere else.

Moose
09-04-2018, 07:46 AM
I agree with the majority here.....get rid of Bell ! He provides nothing for his money.....and I believe CONNER can deliver at a lot less cost. I'm a Conner fan so far as a starter against the Browns.

steelreserve
09-04-2018, 10:03 AM
I can see that no matter what - this thread is going to be a beat up Bell thread. But I am telling you that I completely understand why he is doing this. This is the system that the owners set up - no guaranteed contracts and this franchise player designation system. The only leverage that the player has is what Le’Veon is doing. And I think he knows that he’s not going to get a long term deal from the Steelers.

How is that "leverage?" It has no benefit to him whatsoever. It is JUST throwing a tantrum. He might as well be yelling at the air.

DesertSteel
09-04-2018, 10:28 AM
It would be great if Conner performs soooo well that Bell is seen as the second-best RB on the team. It would also be great if Dobbs and/or Rudolph surpasses Big Ben. You know what... wouldn’t it be great if Justin Hunter finally eclipsed AB.

Sarcasm aside...

Conner might be a better runner. Okay. Maybe. But, pass-catching is still Bell’s forté. And, there are few RBs in the NFL who can block anywhere near as good as Bell.
A. QB is the most difficult position in all of sports. There are about 12-13 good ones in the world. RB doesn't come close to the complexity or difficulty.
B. Bell is not to RBs what Brown is to WRs. However, the real comparison would be JuJu, not Hunter.
C. Bell is a complete back (minus the speed to take it to the house). His absence means that they go RB by committee - a proven formula for winning Super Bowls.

Steelerchad
09-04-2018, 10:55 AM
While I don't think Conner is a better player than Bell, I do like the future of a Steelers RB by committee approach. I think 3 above avg. RB's are better than 1 elite back. We can also spend under $10M for all 3 vs. $15M for 1. Spend the extra $'s on an ILB.
It keeps all of them fresh and healthier, provides injury protection, allows for some specialization in the offense. I'd love nothing more than for Bell to not sign his tag, Conner to play week 1 and rip off 120 yards and 2 scores and for the Steelers to yank his offer sheet. Unfortunately, I think the more likely scenario is that we struggle against the Browns and will be lucky to squeak out a low scoring affair.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2018, 11:23 AM
I can see that no matter what - this thread is going to be a beat up Bell thread..

Great observation.

Does anybody else find it amusing that when Bell is voted by his peers as the #5 player in the Top 100 list, fans support the ranking by NFL players......but when he holds out for a long term contract that fans start thinking there are at least 5 or 10 RB's better than him?

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Great observation.

Does anybody else find it amusing that when Bell is voted by his peers as the #5 player in the Top 100 list, fans support the ranking by NFL players......but when he holds out for a long term contract that fans start thinking there are at least 5 or 10 RB's better than him?

Bell is one of the best players in the NFL and nobody said he had 5-10 better RB than Bell.....It's just that I think we can survive the same way we survived in 2015 when Bell missed the second half of the season and Williams took over.

If Conner is able to have the same production than Williams in 2015 and AB, Ben, JuJu and the o-line performs well, we'll have a very good offense.

My biggest concern is the defense, not the absence of Bell.

Fire Goodell
09-04-2018, 11:32 AM
point aim close range, lmao

- - - Updated - - -

reward: $40,000,000 guaranteed?

steelreserve
09-04-2018, 11:44 AM
While I don't think Conner is a better player than Bell, I do like the future of a Steelers RB by committee approach. I think 3 above avg. RB's are better than 1 elite back. We can also spend under $10M for all 3 vs. $15M for 1. Spend the extra $'s on an ILB.

It keeps all of them fresh and healthier, provides injury protection, allows for some specialization in the offense. I'd love nothing more than for Bell to not sign his tag, Conner to play week 1 and rip off 120 yards and 2 scores and for the Steelers to yank his offer sheet. Unfortunately, I think the more likely scenario is that we struggle against the Browns and will be lucky to squeak out a low scoring affair.

The main problem I see with this is that we simply will refuse to do it. For whatever reason, for the past decade we will only use one "main" guy for virtually every play, giving him a break for about one or two series per half. If he gets injured, then the next guy becomes the "main" guy and is used exactly the same.

Have three running backs with different strengths and weaknesses that would work great in a rotation? Nope, use one guy and the rest are strictly backups.

Have two running backs that would keep the defense off-guard if both were on the field at the same time? Nope, only one-back sets, with one RB designated as the "main" one who will be in on every play.

Have several backs and the main one is just ineffective because it's not his day? Nope, he's the only option and the rest are limited to a series or two.

This got its start in the "Parker or Nothing" offense and I really have no idea why we have decided it's the only way we'll do things. But unfortunately that means if you have a "committee" of three backs, you are only going to be as good as the best one out of those three and reap none of the benefits of the others.

DesertSteel
09-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Great observation.

Many of us are not failing to acknowledge what his past performance has been. However, contracts are not extended for a reward of past performance. All statistical indicators point to RBs falling off in production much sooner than other position players. There is a reason that RBs are one of the lowest paid positions. As fans, we aren't ignorant of these facts. The Steelers FO certainly isn't either, as they are the ones letting him walk.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 12:33 PM

All the the players know this and that is why they are not criticizing Bell just like the Raiders players did not criticize Mack. Someday, it may be their turn to do the same.

Like me I said earlier, if Bell chooses to be a Steeler this year, I’ll root for him and if he’s not - then I’ll root for the other guy. But I don’t have a bone to pick with a man trying to maximize his earnings.

I personally dont don’t think that more money is what makes a happy football career. I think that Mike Wallace and Neil O’Donnell would have had better football happiness if they stayed as a Steeler than pursue more money somewhere else.

My last post was not to beat up on Bell. I think he’s the best in the league. I’d love to have him. I don’t care what he does or who is personally.

I’m just correcting you that sacrificing 7mil dollars is the correct price to pay for a little more safety. It is very stupid. It is overly risk averse to the point of absurdity. The odds of him suffering a career ending injury are too low for that price tag. Ask any insurance actuator. He can get a policy that will pay off the same amount as he hopes to get in a deal next year for less than 7mil dollars.

That makes sitting out a stupid business decision. Perhaps he has enough stupid people advising him, that he’ll make that decision. But it is an economic mistake. He should take his 14.5 mil guaranteed this year and buy insurance against a career ending injury. He’ll get a better deal than 7mil dollars.

Sitting up is a stupid move for several reasons. In his case it buys him no leverage. It’s not a negotiating tactic, like it was with Mack.

It’s just dumb on all fronts.

Sitting out pre season made sense as it cost him nothing. Sitting out any part of the season is economically risk averse to the point of mental disability stupid.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 12:41 PM
But I also think he was dumb for not showing up Monday for PR reasons. It’s a mistake to be hated by the fans. It hurts endorsement opportunities and other owners are paying attention.

He had no risk of injury by showing up Monday. He did it to be stubborn and prove a point. Great, he proved his point.

Point taken. By all of us. It will not make his life better. He has stupid advisers or he’s too stupid to listen.

He gains no leverage by doing this. He jus gains animosity.

SteelMember
09-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Scooby-doo, where are you!?!

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
My main thought is his track record. Lets face it his track record does not exactly promote trust. My belief is that he has the rope in his own hands not ours (Steelers).I believe that the front office did what was best for the organization to hammer out what they saw as a fair deal . Now we move on. More than one player has tried to think they were" bigger than the whole " before. More than one also found out about the " grass on the other side of the fence. " Karma ain't funny , it just exists.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
My main thought is his track record. Lets face it his track record does not exactly promote trust. My belief is that he has the rope in his own hands not ours (Steelers).I believe that the front office did what was best for the organization to hammer out what they saw as a fair deal . Now we move on. More then one player has tried to think they were" bigger than the whole " before. More than one also found out about the " grass on the other side of the fence. " Karma ain't funny , it just exists.

good post

- - - Updated - - -

But I also think he was dumb for not showing up Monday for PR reasons. It’s a mistake to be hated by the fans. It hurts endorsement opportunities and other owners are paying attention.

He had no risk of injury by showing up Monday. He did it to be stubborn and prove a point. Great, he proved his point.

Point taken. By all of us. It will not make his life better. He has stupid advisers or he’s too stupid to listen.

He gains no leverage by doing this. He jus gains animosity.

agreed , but again Bell has consistently proven he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer

AtlantaDan
09-04-2018, 01:39 PM

I do not see how they have any until he reports other than the fact he misses paychecks

I stand corrected - this possibility raised in the P-G this afternoon would be epic payback if Bell waltzes in later this week

The next thing the Steelers must decide is whether to activate Bell for the game or use the two-week roster exemption. If they do, they have another option at hand: If Bell is not officially on the roster, they do not have to pay him. It’s their choice whether or not to do so.

They would save $856,000 this week if they so choose. It would cost Bell more than $1.7 million of his $14.55 million salary if they were to use both weeks of the exemption and decide not to pay him.

Would they? It likely would antagonize the player, but it’s part of the collective bargaining agreement, just as the same CBA allowed Bell not to report to them until he signed his deal.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/04/le-veon-bell-contract-james-conner-steelers-browns-opener-2018/stories/201809040098

https://media.makeameme.org/created/shit-getting-real-5939f0.jpg

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Let me make sure I have this:

1. Bell is not really all that good. His reputation is inflated in the passing game and his YPC hints at a RB in decline or at least one that has already peaked.
2. James Conner can do everything "well enough" that the offense will hum along with him being the primary ball-carrier. Anything he doesn't do well can be supplemented by Samuels and Ridley.
3. Bell not reporting and starting slow is a serious detriment to the Steelers chances in Week 1 and for a deep post-season run.

How does #3 not directly contradict #1-2?

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Let me make sure I have this:

1. Bell is not really all that good. His reputation is inflated in the passing game and his YPC hints at a RB in decline or at least one that has already peaked.
2. James Conner can do everything "well enough" that the offense will hum along with him being the primary ball-carrier. Anything he doesn't do well can be supplemented by Samuels and Ridley.
3. Bell not reporting and starting slow is a serious detriment to the Steelers chances in Week 1 and for a deep post-season run.

How does #3 not directly contradict #1-2?

you have it right up until the last line where you ask the question ...

1) Bells numbers are on a decent , any HoF RB you can find will post similar decline from age 27 to 28 Bell is showing it slightly sooner

2) is perfect and on top of it all as a team we have been more successful at deep runs into the playoffs and hoisting Lombardi's when we utilize more than 1 RB and history is our evidence of such

3) starting slow can effect the win loss column and consequently effect your chances of making the playoffs or at the very least effect your playoff seeding and chances of home field advantage

so all 3 of the statements can be true without any amount of contradiction

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
you have it right up until the last line where you ask the question ...

1) Bells numbers are on a decent , any HoF RB you can find will post similar decline from age 27 to 28 Bell is showing it slightly sooner

2) is perfect and on top of it all as a team we have been more successful at deep runs into the playoffs and hoisting Lombardi's when we utilize more than 1 RB and history is our evidence of such

3) starting slow can effect the win loss column and consequently effect your chances of making the playoffs or at the very least effect your playoff seeding and chances of home field advantage

so all 3 of the statements can be true without any amount of contradiction

It shouldn't have an impact. Because if #2 is true then force-feeding a rusty/declining Bell the ball and leading into a loss is just shitty coaching. Which is a totally different conversation.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:59 PM
It shouldn't have an impact. Because if #2 is true then force-feeding a rusty/declining Bell the ball and leading into a loss is just shitty coaching. Which is a totally different conversation.

while I agree to a point with that assertion , one could argue we have had plenty of shitty coaching over the years in terms of when to pull player A) and insert player B) instead ...

in fact we also seen a guy who was 5 yards from leading the league in rushing yards pulled from the starting spot after 4 weeks of play when bell returned to rarely see the field again and bell averaged less YPC as a result but no changes took place

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 03:18 PM

I do not think it's the same person who has said the point 2 AND 3 ...

Fire Goodell
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
I honestly would be more worried about a slow start from Bell, than I would be without him and starting a hungry, beastly looking James Conner

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 03:28 PM
while I agree to a point with that assertion , one could argue we have had plenty of shitty coaching over the years in terms of when to pull player A) and insert player B) instead ...

in fact we also seen a guy who was 5 yards from leading the league in rushing yards pulled from the starting spot after 4 weeks of play when bell returned to rarely see the field again and bell averaged less YPC as a result but no changes took place

Right. So actually what the team MAY have is a talent evaluation problem and a prioritization of playing time rather than a L. Bell problem? I don't know.

But I do know that the general fan and pundit argument floating out there has some logical holes in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not think it's the same person who has said the point 2 AND 3 ...

It is a rough summation of a generalized argument floating around Steelers and NFL media regarding the situation. Not an attempt to lay the specific claims at any one individuals feet.

Just point out that it appears there is a version of all this where some folks want to have their cake and eat it too. Either Conner et al is more than enough to win with so what Bell does or doesn't do is almost irrelevant. Remember last year Conner stunk. So he really wasn't an option.

Or Bell is the superior player and his absence will have an impact. Can't have it both ways. Can't argue that he Steelers are better off without Bell and then worry about how ready Bell is or isn't. Because then, in order for all the thoughts to be coherent, folks are really arguing that they don't trust Fichtner and Tomlin to put Bell on the bench until he rounds into form.

fansince'76
09-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Improve his relationship with the fans? :sofunny:

This quote describing how Keith Olbermann left ESPN fits for Bell's relationship with Steelers fans

"He didn't burn bridges here, he napalmed them."

That will change quickly if he strings a couple of monster games together.

Fire Goodell
09-04-2018, 04:21 PM
That will change quickly if he strings a couple of monster games together.

I'm not so sure of that. He had an already strained relationship with the fanbase leading into the playoffs, after having a good season. It certainly got worse after he was a no-show for the walkthrough before the Jax game, then especially after his Target song where he basically called out the Steeler FO and fanbase. Olbermann is right, I don't think Bell can do anything to repair the damage he's done with the fanbase imo, barring, lead the NFL in rushing AND win a Super Bowl MVP trophy. If he does that, then sure, make him the highest paid RB. Unless he does though, part ways and move on to the Conner era

DesertSteel
09-04-2018, 04:52 PM
Another thing.... people say “it’s just business” as if the fans are supposed to accept it and not revile the player. There’s no such rule. Without the fans, there is no business. When a player looks out for themselves above everything else, it comes with a cost. That cost is based on fan equity already built up. Bell, although a good performer on the field, has come up short otherwise.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Another thing.... people say “it’s just business” as if the fans are supposed to accept it and not revile the player. There’s no such rule. Without the fans, there is no business. When a player looks out for themselves above everything else, it comes with a cost. That cost is based on fan equity already built up. Bell, although a good performer on the field, has come up short otherwise.

good point

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 05:05 PM
posted in wrong thread doh ...

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Le'Veron Bell for Earl Thomas

Who says yes, who says no?

steelcityboyz
09-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Who says yes, who says no?In a heartbeat.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 05:47 PM
In a heartbeat.

I do not know if the seahawks would say yes ...

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 06:24 PM
If we were gonna trade Bell, I’d rather trade him to the Panthers for a certain middle LB who could play either ILB spots for us, or even allow us to play more 4-3 defense.

Make that happen I’ll be fine with losing the best all around RB in the league.

And I’m aware of certain concussion risks. But if we make that trade we win a Super Bowl this year. :)

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 06:24 PM
If the Steelers win the Super Bowl it's because Bell isn't just on the team but had another incredibly productive season and returns to form. This team is worse off with him on the sidelines. James Conner looks like he could be a starting NFL RB. Le'Veon has already proven he's one of, if not the best RB in football right now. I understand the frustration and disappointment over his antics off the field, but that doesn't change how talented he is on it.

If you want the Steelers to win a title this year, Bell has to contribute to that goal.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 06:35 PM
If the Steelers win the Super Bowl it's because Bell isn't just on the team but had another incredibly productive season and returns to form. This team is worse off with him on the sidelines. James Conner looks like he could be a starting NFL RB. Le'Veon has already proven he's one of, if not the best RB in football right now. I understand the frustration and disappointment over his antics off the field, but that doesn't change how talented he is on it.

If you want the Steelers to win a title this year, Bell has to contribute to that goal.

I’m not saying this would ever happen in any universe, but if we traded Bell for Luke Kuechly, do our Super Bowl odds go up or down?

I do agree that if only have these two options: having Bell, or not having Bell... having Bell is the MUCH better option. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just angry and emotional.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says yes, who says no?

If we’re only talking Seahawks, Trading him for Bobby Wagner probably helps us more in the short run than trading him for Thomas.

Not saying it’s likely. Just better for our needs. :)

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 06:40 PM
I’m not saying this would ever happen in any universe, but if we traded Bell for Luke Kuechly, do our Super Bowl odds go up or down?

I do agree that if only have these two options: having Bell, or not having Bell... having Bell is the MUCH better option. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just angry and emotional.

Having Bell be ready and without his drama would be the best option

But sometimes, when a player is not ready, and he will not be at his best in the beginning if he comes back and he could have drama that we do not need, sometimes I prefer a less talented player but without too much drama.A toxic lockeroom is never good.

If Conner plays well during Bell 's absence, I see no reason not to stay Conner as starter if Bell does not deserve to be a starter because he is not ready and etc.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 06:43 PM
The truth is no one is gonna trade us anything for Bell. Any team that’s willing to make a monster deal with him is just gonna wait until next year when he becomes a free agent. No one is gonna give the Steelers anything for him this year.

And I don’t think we even have the power to trade him until he signs his tender. He isn’t currently under contract. So we can’t trade him to avoid a hold out... unless we make a handshake deal with Bell first that he approves of the trade... then he signs his tender and we do it.

But we’ll never find a willing partner in a trade that will give us anything worth it for us. If we keep him this year we’ll get a third round supplement pick for him when we lose him to free agency.

Our best option is to keep Bell for 2018.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 06:47 PM

I honestly don't know. It's a hell'uva good question to be fair. They'd probably go up marginally because the offense will still be able to function at an incredibly high level with Conner at RB, but adding Kuechly to the middle of the defense may make it one of the best 3-4/4-3 hybrids in the NFL.

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Unsurprisingly, Bell is not with the team again today.

I would not be surprised if Bell signs his tender Friday or Saturday to have his game check and not play Sunday, but if he does not, we will wait very long(week 10) before he comes back....

86WARD
09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Unsurprisingly, Bell is not with the team again today.

I would not be surprised if Bell signs his tender Friday or Saturday to have his game check and not play Sunday, but if he does not, we will wait very long(week 10) before he comes back....

At this point they would have to bench him and give Conner the start. It would be stupid not to.

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 09:09 AM

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 09:18 AM

- - - Updated - - -

AtlantaDan
09-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Then again maybe you do not know him as well as you think you do :coffee:

tube517
09-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Mojouw
09-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Ben and the oline should re-make all those old Marino Isotoner glove commercials!

tube517
09-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Ben and the oline should re-make all those old Marino Isotoner glove commercials!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsi472UqOM

steelreserve
09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
You know what would be funny? If Bell shows up and sucks at football because he's been doing nothing but playing video games and hanging out with rappers at strip clubs all summer.

Like, I don't know what he's actually been doing, but that's all you hear him talk about. Last year at least you'd hear him periodically tweeting about how he was in great shape and working his ass off on his own. This time it's just bitching and goofing around.

Maybe that's just what he's posturing and choosing to show people and he's really in top condition ... or who knows, maybe he really did go down the rabbit hole. We'll find out!

86WARD
09-05-2018, 12:54 PM
That’s pretty much what he does post on his Twitter...and time with his daughter...

saturdaysarebetter
09-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Be great to see Conner rush for over 100 yards against the Browns. Then what does Bell think?

Fire Goodell
09-06-2018, 09:32 PM
He shall be Leave'on and he shall be a dumbass