PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Finally Find Two Diamonds In The Rough

Shoes
09-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Way back in April, I criticized Kevin Colbert (https://steelersdepot.com/2018/04/steelers-attempt-to-find-diamonds-in-the-rough-has-been-rough/) for whiffing on his UDFA classes the last two years. Groups that sure, always face long odds, but Colbert and the Pittsburgh Steelers, more than anybody, seemed to maximize that pool and find real talent. Whether they were elite players like James Harrison, stars who briefly shined like Willie Parker, or even role players like Robert Golden.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/steelers-finally-find-two-diamonds-in-the-rough/

HollywoodSteel
09-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Now we have the future Hall of Famer: Matthew Thomas.

Okay, maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. But when you have a freak athlete who improves THIS MUCH in ONE PRESEASON, you tell me what the limit is, if not the sky?

I’m not a college guy or draft guru, but I’ve been pimping this guy since we signed him and I read one article about him. He seemed to me like a potential dream come true... potential being the key word, but still...

He might turn out to be better than at least one rookie ILB that was gone in the first round before we picked. A couple of those “Star” rookie ILBs ( like Evans) have shown the world nothing so far other than their ability to be injured.

I’m on the Thomas train. Isn’t Thomas already a famous train? Well consider me on it! :)

Dwinsgames
09-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Now we have the future Hall of Famer: Matthew Thomas.

Okay, maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. But when you have a freak athlete who improves THIS MUCH in ONE PRESEASON, you tell me what the limit is, if not the sky?

I’m not a college guy or draft guru, but I’ve been pimping this guy since we signed him and I read one article about him. He seemed to me like a potential dream come true... potential being the key word, but still...

He might turn out to be better than at least one rookie ILB that was gone in the first round before we picked. A couple of those “Star” rookie ILBs ( like Evans) have shown the world nothing so far other than their ability to be injured.

I’m on the Thomas train. Isn’t Thomas already a famous train? Well consider me on it! :)

Thomas was a 5 star recruit and the crown jewel of Linebackers on declaration day when he signed his letter of intent ... the light went off and on as did his off field issues ( luckily for us it seems ) because if he had kept it all together through college he may have put it together quicker and been drafted rather high and somewhere else .....

stars may have aligned

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Getting good players out of nowhere like this helps to win championships! Reminds me of when I use to play fantasy football. Get a waiver wire pick up nobody heard off and then becomes a star. How you win at that as well.

Steeldude
09-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Hopefully Thomas can stay out of trouble and develop his brain enough to understand easy to learn defenses.

Butch
09-01-2018, 11:12 PM
I am no college guy and was trying to find out what kind of trouble he got into specifically. It seems that something happened when his mother passed and his brother was sleeping on his couch. It seems that whatever the trouble was he was forthright in his interview enough that the Steelers were willing to take a chance. I trust their judgement.

BlackAndGold
09-02-2018, 12:34 AM
Adeniyi still just being 20 years old and showing the potential he has gets me excited.

Thomas may be a starter by midseason.

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 01:26 AM

Thomas may be a starter by midseason.

This would be great, under certain circumstances. Hopefully not due to injuries to other ILBs, but because Thomas becomes objectively better than Bostic is now.

But I have a question for everyone about this because I really don’t know: how could that happen?

What I mean is, if Bostic never gets hurt but also never gets better - meaning he plays just okay, but doesn’t embarrass himself to the point where we HAVE TO STOP THE BLEEDING or that kind of thing... meanwhile Thomas masters the defense. He fixes his mental things that were holding him back from being a super star; how would the coaches know that during the season?

He won’t get first team reps during the week. Does practice work in such a way that coaches can evaluate second string talent?

That first year Tom Brady replaced Bledsoe due to injury; it turned out they had one of the greatest qbs EVER wasting away on the bench. I have to believe Brady was practicing with second teamers pretty damn well the week before the injury. If Drew Bledsoe never gets hurt, is there no way to know what you have in Brady until the following training camp?

My intuitive answer is that the coaches do not look at the backups enough during the season to know when the moment happens that a back up becomes better than the starters, if the starter is playing decently.

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 01:40 AM
After thinking about my own question for a few minutes, I’m a little optimistic that it could happen. We’re not the only ones who have noticed that Thomas is special. I could see Tomlin telling the LB coach to be aware of Thomas’s progression mentally; and then occasionally giving him some reps with the first team during the week.

But if my theory is correct with Thomas, it’s probably the exception that doesn’t proove the rule... it just contradicts it a little bit. ;)

pczach
09-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Thomas was a 5 star recruit and the crown jewel of Linebackers on declaration day when he signed his letter of intent ... the light went off and on as did his off field issues ( luckily for us it seems ) because if he had kept it all together through college he may have put it together quicker and been drafted rather high and somewhere else .....

stars may have aligned

Do you remember when we talked about him when the Steelers signed him? We both said how much athletic talent was there, but that he had a lot of work to do from a mental standpoint, and learning proper techniques within the game and certainly getting a handle on his off the field stuff. He would flash on certain plays, but disappear on others with inconsistent play. We also said that his athletic potential was off the charts, but that he had to embrace the process and do a ton of hard work.

This kid has progressed so much and has blossomed within the NFL structure. Being able to get NFL coaching and fully embracing all the things that go into being a professional has allowed him to let his athleticism emerge and be a consistent force on the field.

It appears the light has gone on. Good for him....and definitely good for the Steelers.