PDA

View Full Version : CB's rolling up tight on WR's

Craic
09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
This is the first time I noticed this. However, again, as I am re-watching the game, on Troy P.'s int. Ike Taylor, just before the snap rolled up to the WR, leaving only a yard between them.

On the otherside, The CB is 12 yards off. Heck, Troy P. is closer at the snap, at 7 yards off.

I wonder if this is something I have just missed, or if it is a new wrinkle in Lebeau's defense... rolling up one CB to disrupt a timing route. It would make sense with our LB's and D line. Roll up one CB, double the other, send in a blitz and force INT's.

SteelerEmpire
09-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Possibly in response to the Falcon's WR White (I believe that's his name). A lot of his plays were quick passes close to the line of scrimmage allowing them to nickle and dime yardage out of the Defense.

Dino 6 Rings
09-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Best move of the Off Season was bringing back McFadden. It can't even be questioned at this point.

GoSlash27
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Coach Dad is adding a few new wrinkles in these early games. He's been pulling occasional snaps with man coverage, then disguising zones to look like man coverage. It really seems to be f*$^in' with opposing QBs. :D

*edit* here's an example at 3:16
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Chalk-Talk---at-Titans-Week-2/c8cec5be-6d74-499d-9179-916f8982eb8d

Mtn.Steel
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I think I wept just a little bit watching that!!! Our D is absolutely paralyzing to opposing teams. They simply have no idea what is about to happen on any given snap. Our first two opponents have simply been guessing and one thing you do NOT do is second guess one Mr. Richard LeBeau!

ALLD
09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Best move of the Off Season was bringing back McFadden. It can't even be questioned at this point.

It was like a head up trade for Holmes. We are way deeper at WR, so it worked out fine so far.

Plus other teams were beginnning to figure out our standard D and exploiting it. Seems like the D keeps the offenses off-balance more than our offense tries to mix up plays.

stillers4me
09-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Coach LeBeau said at the beginning of last year that he had some new things in the playbook even then. I don't think we even saw them last year with the D line so injury ridden.

GoSlash27
09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
They simply have no idea what is about to happen on any given snap. Our first two opponents have simply been guessing and one thing you do NOT do is second guess one Mr. Richard LeBeau!
It truly is a thing to behold, isn't it? :D
Every play looks about the same at the snap. No idea who's coming or going. All the QB knows at the release (assuming he makes it that far) is that the coverage isn't what he thinks it is. It's like the defensive equivalent of liberal amounts of gadget plays/ play action/ draw.
He's really stepped it up this year by including the man/ zone wrinkles. Give him a couple years and they won't be able to tell the difference between a 6-1 and a nickel! :D