PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Thinks Le’Veon Bell Should Sit Out Most Of Season

Shoes
08-29-2018, 07:29 PM
James needing some attention. :chuckle:

Even though he’s yet to confirm it, the consensus right now still seems to be that Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell will finally report to the team on either Friday or Saturday to take his physical and sign his franchise tag. After all, that’s exactly what he did a year ago. However, one of Bell’s former teammates, recently retired outside linebacker James Harrison, said during a Tuesday appearance on ‘Speak for Yourself’ on FOX Sports 1 that he would handle things much differently if he were in Bell’s shoes right now.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/08/james-harrison-thinks-leveon-bell-should-sit-out-most-of-season/

teegre
08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
The comments are comedy gold (Jerry). :applaudit:

#hulkspeak

hawaiiansteeler
08-29-2018, 08:41 PM
still a little bitter there James?

teegre
08-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Question for those who sided with Deebo... and who also do not side with Bell:

Do you agree with Deebo? :huh:

#rockandhardspot

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 09:50 PM

#rockandhardspot

absolutely ... and I hope Bell does it

and I also hope Conner is shredding the league too and when Bell shows up we rip up the tag and say so ohhh glad you decided to show up but unfortunately we have decided to rescind the offer you are free to go now

st33lersguy
08-29-2018, 09:53 PM
Guess he has nothing better to do than be a troll

teegre
08-29-2018, 09:53 PM

and I also hope Conner is shredding the league too and when Bell shows up we rip up the tag and say so ohhh glad you decided to show up but unfortunately we have decided to rescind the offer you are free to go now

With that situation, we’d get nothing for him.

It would negate the comp pick if he’s “cut”... right? (I’m really asking, because I’m not sure how that works.)

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 09:56 PM
With that situation, we’d get nothing for him.

It would negate the comp pick if he’s “cut”... right? (I’m really asking, because I’m not sure how that works.)

I am not certain either , but he wouldn't technically be cut ...

he didnt show up , he would not at that point have signed the contract under the tag ... so not really our property ... he sort of kind of is but not really until the ink is dry

teegre
08-29-2018, 09:59 PM

he didnt show up , he would not at that point have signed the contract under the tag ... so not really our property ... he sort of kind of is but not really until the ink is dry

We need a capologist to explain all of this to us, because I tried Googling it... to no avail.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 10:00 PM
We need a capologist to explain all of this to us, because I tried Googling it... to no avail.

lemme ask on twitter

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 10:18 PM

here we go ...

we would get no compensation ... the cutoff date for " lost free agents to sign" and count as a loss is in May for Josh Norman it was May 12 cutoff but suspect this year was different date but in same 7-10 day time frame

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/06/pfts-mike-florio-comp-pick-was-a-factor-to-rescind-josh-normans-franchise-tag/

teegre
08-30-2018, 06:44 AM
here we go ...

we would get no compensation ... the cutoff date for " lost free agents to sign" and count as a loss is in May for Josh Norman it was May 12 cutoff but suspect this year was different date but in same 7-10 day time frame

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/06/pfts-mike-florio-comp-pick-was-a-factor-to-rescind-josh-normans-franchise-tag/

Thank you

So, Bell sits out the first 9 games, reports for game 10, and becomes a free agent after the season. Hmmm...

Looking at the bright side: Bell would come in fresh for the stretch run.

Also, every week he doesn’t show gives the Steelers $850,000 to use towards extending one of the many free agents that they have. Similarly, they can use that money to pay off some signing bonuses now (as opposed to pushing it towards the backloaded part of the contract). As in: Omar Khan will use that $7.65 million to help out our future cap woes.

silver & black
08-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Is Bell under contract?

Dwinsgames
08-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Is Bell under contract?

not until he signs the tag

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Harrison isn't wrong. Bell is 1 Vontaze Burfict cheap shot away from this being the last $14million he ever earns. So sitting out some time would not be an unrealistic thought of minimizing injury.

It just goes to show that he should have likely taken the reported 5 -year $75million contract with $45million guaranteed that he was offered and had the security and payday. Granted, if he sits out half this season, he loses $7million in pay, but stands to make what Gurley did in his 4-year $60 million contract with $45million guaranteed.

Still, he had a reported $45 million guaranteed contract, lets say he forfeits $7 million and gets a $50 million guaranteed contract....he has lost $2million. Lets also consider he will be a 27 year old RB with approx. 1400 carries and multiple knee injuries.....his market isn't what Gurley is due to age and carries IMO. Summation: Bell could sit out part of the season, but he likely is splitting hairs on contract offers and money lost in holdout vs made in future contract. He should end up with somebody like Jets, Texans or Colts in 2019.

DesertSteel
08-30-2018, 09:47 AM
I think Harrison should just retire!

AtlantaDan
08-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Harrison isn't wrong. Bell is 1 Vontaze Burfict cheap shot away from this being the last $14million he ever earns. So sitting out some time would not be an unrealistic thought of minimizing injury.

It just goes to show that he should have likely taken the reported 5 -year $75million contract with $45million guaranteed that he was offered and had the security and payday. Granted, if he sits out half this season, he loses $7million in pay, but stands to make what Gurley did in his 4-year $60 million contract with $45million guaranteed.

Still, he had a reported $45 million guaranteed contract, lets say he forfeits $7 million and gets a $50 million guaranteed contract....he has lost $2million. Lets also consider he will be a 27 year old RB with approx. 1400 carries and multiple knee injuries.....his market isn't what Gurley is due to age and carries IMO. Summation: Bell could sit out part of the season, but he likely is splitting hairs on contract offers and money lost in holdout vs made in future contract. He should end up with somebody like Jets, Texans or Colts in 2019.

Of course Bell still could get racked up after he reports in November after losing the 10 paydays

For someone who does not strike me as a devoted saver, Bell foregoing the instant gratification of 10 paychecks this season for the deferred gratification of maxing out his prospects for the big contract next season would seem unlikely

And as far as providing expertise in contract negotiating game theory goes, Harrison is the guy who overplayed his hand with the Steelers and ended up going to the Bengals for less $$$

Prior to releasing him, the Steelers attempted to renegotiate Harrison's contract (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/24/4261280/james-harrison-contract-bengals), offering him $4.5 million for 2013. Harrison refused to take a pay cut, was released and signed a two-year deal with the Bengals, which is worth $4.45 million, according to Joe Reedy of of the Cincinnati Enquirer. (https://twitter.com/joereedy/status/327067097983234049)Had he taken Pittsburgh's offer, Harrison could have made $6.57 million next season if he achieved certain incentives.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/24/4262024/james-harrison-contract-details-bengals

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Of course Bell still could get racked up after he reports in November after losing the 10 paydays

For someone who does not strike me as a devoted saver, Bell foregoing the instant gratification of 10 paychecks this season for the deferred gratification of maxing out his prospects for the big contract next season would seem unlikely

And as far as providing expertise in contract negotiating game theory goes, Harrison is the guy who overplayed his hand with the Steelers and ended up going to the Bengals for less $$$

Prior to releasing him, the Steelers attempted to renegotiate Harrison's contract (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/24/4261280/james-harrison-contract-bengals), offering him $4.5 million for 2013. Harrison refused to take a pay cut, was released and signed a two-year deal with the Bengals, which is worth $4.45 million, according to Joe Reedy of of the Cincinnati Enquirer. (https://twitter.com/joereedy/status/327067097983234049)Had he taken Pittsburgh's offer, Harrison could have made $6.57 million next season if he achieved certain incentives.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/24/4262024/james-harrison-contract-details-bengals

Yes, its an emotional game played by emotional young men and many times they let emotions of disrespect take over from what rational thought should be. If their team doesn't back up the Brinks truck for them, they feel disrespected and go elsewhere to find out its the same truck, or even smaller. But they swallow a few million dollars before they swallow their pride.

We can say its the agents job to talk sense to them, but again a young emotional guy is just as likely to fire his agent and find another guy that will back up his same irrational gameplan.

For me as a long time fan, Bell arrives when he arrives and if he is gone in 2019 its just time for the next Steeler RB to man up. I still have my towel, jerseys and the rest of my B&G.

DesertSteel
08-30-2018, 11:04 AM
I am really liking the prospects of a Conner/Samuel tandem.

Steeldude
08-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Is Harrison wrong?

AtlantaDan
08-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Is Harrison wrong?

It's happened before - Rod Woodson held out through late October 1987 his rookie season and Mike Merriweather missed the entire 1988 season before the Steelers traded him for a first round pick in 1989

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/07/17/Le-Veon-Bell-Steelers-holdout-Emmitt-Smith-Eric-Dickerson-Mike-Merriweather-NFL-players-union/stories/201807170079

But it is a lot easier to tell someone else to throw away 10 weekly paychecks of $856,000 each than to be the person doing it when you still run the risk of getting injured in the last six regular season games and any playoff games before you hit free agency next year

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Is Harrison wrong?
I don't think so. Its a viable strategy that Bell could take.

DesertSteel
08-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Let's see...
- No leverage to gain contractually
- Loss of income
- Expands his resume' as a locker room cancer

Yep... sounds like something Bell would do

86WARD
08-30-2018, 03:22 PM

Doesn’t he have until Week 10 to show up?

Edit: whoops...just read down a little further...lol.

86WARD
08-30-2018, 03:24 PM

#rockandhardspot

If I am a player, yes. If I am a selfish fan, no.

Dwinsgames
08-30-2018, 03:31 PM
If I am a greedy selfish player, yes. If I am a selfish fan, no.

fixed it

86WARD
08-30-2018, 08:03 PM
fixed it

Lol

st33lersguy
08-30-2018, 09:20 PM
If Bell is that concerned about money, shouldn't he want to get the $14 million he is already slated to get? Given the short shelf life of a RB, not sure passing up $14 million for a year will be a good idea

Craic
08-30-2018, 10:11 PM

Nope,
I hope Conner is shredding the league and then Bell shows up and can't get up the field. Then Conner goes in and puts 6, 8 yards a run on the books. It took Bell 4 games to get back up to running last year, and that was with him as the featured back. In this scenario, he wouldn't get back to that position and may sit behind Conner in the stretch. Imagine what that would do to his FA worth?

st33lersguy
08-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Nope,
I hope Conner is shredding the league and then Bell shows up and can't get up the field. Then Conner goes in and puts 6, 8 yards a run on the books. It took Bell 4 games to get back up to running last year, and that was with him as the featured back. In this scenario, he wouldn't get back to that position and may sit behind Conner in the stretch. Imagine what that would do to his FA worth?

I imagine there will be at least 1 team that will still give Bell whatever he wants even if he has a down year in 2018. Mike Wallace had a bad contract year and even was deactivated the final game and the Dolphins still gave him a fortune, and he was never as good as Bell has been 3 of the last 4 years

Steeldude
08-31-2018, 07:25 AM
If Bell is that concerned about money, shouldn't he want to get the $14 million he is already slated to get? Given the short shelf life of a RB, not sure passing up $14 million for a year will be a good idea

He wants a long term deal so he can sit back. IMO, Bell is the type of person who will no longer try after getting a big money deal.

- - - Updated - - -

fixed it

I couldn't care less if Bell plays for the Steelers ever again. I just hope there is a way for the Steelers to trade him.

Dwinsgames
08-31-2018, 08:43 AM
He wants a long term deal so he can sit back. IMO, Bell is the type of person who will no longer try after getting a big money deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't care less if Bell plays for the Steelers ever again. I just hope there is a way for the Steelers to trade him.

he is 100% tradable once he signs the tag .... question is will they , and will there be any takers ?

Craic
08-31-2018, 10:42 AM

I don't understand from where people get this idea. One of the few true positives about Bell is his work ethic. There has never been a doubt about that from his teammates or the coaches. The issue last year when he came back wasn't whether he was in shape or not, he was. The issue was his timing, regaining his vision for the field, and so on—things that usually develop in camp.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2018, 10:43 AM

Somebody will give him a contract with $45 million guaranteed money next season in free agency. Would you give up on $45 million so that you can make $14 million?

BnG_Hevn
09-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Is it in a player's contract to the position they play? If Bell comes in later in the season, can they make him play special teams?

pczach
09-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Is it in a player's contract to the position they play? If Bell comes in later in the season, can they make him play special teams?

I have never heard of a contract where a specific position was named and limited a coaches power to use them anywhere on the field.

As far as I know, they can make him play special teams. If he refuses they can suspend him without pay.

teegre
09-01-2018, 09:36 AM
he is 100% tradable once he signs the tag

Yep.

Unless... he sits out until Week 10, which would be after the trade deadline.

Butch
09-01-2018, 09:49 AM
If bell sits out week 1 I would not look for him to show until the last possible week he can and then come in and fake an injury. If he does not show week 1 cut the ties and let him walk.

Moose
09-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Ummmm, Harrison the person who turned down the Steeler contract to play for the Bungholes for LESS money......LOL, yup I'd listen to the educated experience.

Butch
09-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Ummmm, Harrison the person who turned down the Steeler contract to play for the Bungholes for LESS money......LOL, yup I'd listen to the educated experience.
The way I remember it and I could very well be wrong. Steelers wanted James to restructure the big pay out on his contract. He turned it down to see what he could get. After he got the offer from the Bungles he wanted to come back to Pittsburgh but they rescinded their offer, so James went to play for the bungles. Once things were done he retired until the Steelers came knocking on his door.

I honestly wish James would let the waters calm, but I really don't completely blame him either.

All that being said Bell is doing what Bell wants to do without concern of what anybody else thinks or cares to think.

Steeldude
09-01-2018, 12:45 PM
he is 100% tradable once he signs the tag .... question is will they , and will there be any takers ?

Hopefully.

Steelerchad
09-01-2018, 07:32 PM
He sits out until week 10 and loses $8M, that's just even further behind he will be when negotiated next year's deal. If the goal is to maximize his money, leaving $8M on the table this year is not a good way to do it. He could likely take a million or two of that $8M and buy him self a nice injury insurance policy to protect himself long term.

Dwinsgames
09-01-2018, 10:24 PM
He sits out until week 10 and loses $8M, that's just even further behind he will be when negotiated next year's deal. If the goal is to maximize his money, leaving $8M on the table this year is not a good way to do it. He could likely take a million or two of that $8M and buy him self a nice injury insurance policy to protect himself long term.

but would that not require him to be at least semi intelligent ? asking for a friend

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 02:19 AM
I think I’m in the minority here, but as soon Bell arrives, I will cheer for him and hope that the rest of Steelers Nation does the same.

He works harder at his craft than any of us. He is dedicated. He fights hard for us.

When Blount abandoned us mid game, Bell picked up the slack to close out the game, fighting for first down after first down.

He stays in perfect shape all year long.

His team mates call him an inspiration in loncker room.

He simply negotiated within the CBA RULES.

He never half asses it.

Steeler nation is treating him like... like he’s under contract and holding out... but we want Mack who actually IS holding out, violating his contract; not giving a damn about the fans

Bell is a football player through and through.

And he’s the best there is.

Steeldude
09-02-2018, 02:37 AM
You left out he chose pot over the team.

Calling Bell an inspiration in the locker room explains why the locker room hasn't been that great.

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 03:01 AM
You left out he chose pot over the team.

Calling Bell an inspiration in the locker room explains why the locker room hasn't been that great.
He made a couple stupid mistakes outside the building and apologized for them. He was NEVER HATED FOR THAT.

Steeler national were all on his side. He learned his lesson.

And the locker room is NOT in disarray. The guys love each other. Debo and Bryant maybe annoyed some team mates, but they are gone. Bell never annoyed anyone.

And what kind of selfish diva worked his ass off to become the best BLOCKER as a RB in the NFL.

You’re made at him for not caving in a negotiation. I wish he had signed for what the Steelers offered. Do you think he should have done what we as fans DESPERATELY wanted and he had taken the deal. If he had, would you like him again? Would he have become a wonderful guy?

But wait, he still smoked that weed once. He still was “cancer” in the locker room according to you and absolutely no one who has actually been inside the locker room.

You’d still have to hate him for your other accusations if you want to be morally consistent.

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 03:13 AM
And do you want to trade a top 3 all around back for players?

I’m going to assume you’d want to trade for someone with a longer deal and would end us spending more money.

Okay want a Luke Kuekli type to fix the defense.

And you think the panthers would make the trade for a tagged one year guy who is a free agent in 2019?

Show me a plausible trade scenario that work please :)

HollywoodSteel
09-02-2018, 03:22 AM
And anyone who wants to trade bell out of spite is being stupid, and puts their own childish feelings above the best interests of the team. That makes you worth hating MORE than Bell. You are a pariah.

I’m kidding. You’re probably good people... just like Bell. I say we forgive all of you. :)

86WARD
09-02-2018, 08:26 AM
And anyone who wants to trade bell out of spite is being stupid, and puts their own childish feelings above the best interests of the team. That makes you worth hating MORE than Bell. You are a pariah.

I’m kidding. You’re probably good people... just like Bell. I say we forgive all of you. :)

I’ll root for Bell. I’ll root for him to catch 2000 Yards and rush for 2000 Yards. I hope he has 48 TDS and AB and the receiving crew get 5. I’ll root for Bell to hoist the Lombardi and be Super Bowl MVP and League MVP and I’ll hope Conner NEVER sees the field in 2018-19. Then he can go and get his 14.5M from the Colts or whomever he finds willing to pay and I’ll remember him as a Steelers Legend.

Why wouldn’t you hope for that? Just because he wants to get paid? Who cares...If you wouldn’t hope for Bell
To be super successful in 2018-19, you may not be a Steelers fan.

pczach
09-02-2018, 10:37 AM
I’ll root for Bell. I’ll root for him to catch 2000 Yards and rush for 2000 Yards. I hope he has 48 TDS and AB and the receiving crew get 5. I’ll root for Bell to hoist the Lombardi and be Super Bowl MVP and League MVP and I’ll hope Conner NEVER sees the field in 2018-19. Then he can go and get his 14.5M from the Colts or whomever he finds willing to pay and I’ll remember him as a Steelers Legend.

Why wouldn’t you hope for that? Just because he wants to get paid? Who cares...If you wouldn’t hope for Bell
To be super successful in 2018-19, you may not be a Steelers fan.

Exactly.

Once he hits the field, I hope he tears it up. This is all about winning a championship. Wishing for anything else is like rooting against your own team.

Do I hope Connor gets more carries and shines? Of course. But I will be hoping that every player succeeds in their own individual performances. All of it leads to better football and wins.

If they bring home the Lombardi and he leaves for a big payday...….good for him.

As long as he doesn't pull any bullshit during the season to hurt the team in some way by holding out or milking minor injuries to stay off the field and put the team in a bind.

Edman
09-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Fun Fact: for all of the Steelers' Super Bowl Teams, they had a viable one-two punch at RB and never a single "feature" back.

1970's: Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier

1995: Bam Morris/Erric Pegram

2005: Jerome Bettis/Willie Parker

2008: Willie Parker/Mewelde Moore

2010: Rashard Mendenhall/Isaac Redman

Even Emmitt Smith has Daryl Johnston. Ladanian Tomlinson and Barry Sanders were mostly one-man shows and went ringless. Walter Payton didn't win jack until he got Matt Suhey.

Le'Veon Bell as far as it stands, is merely Barry Foster 2.0. The Steelers will compete with him, but will never be Champions with him doing the work. Bell needs a complimentary guy, and that's why the Steelers aren't throwing a crapload of money at him, and why Bell is severely overestimating his value. Jerome Bettis knew he couldn't be "the guy", and mentored Willie Parker. Lo and behold, he gets a Super Bowl ring and is in the Hall Of Fame, his legacy intact in Pittsburgh for generations to come.

Le'Veon Bell unfortunately is too self-centered and stupid to realize he's damaging his career and is on a path to irrelevancy.

I'm perfectly okay going with James Conner/Jaylen Samuels as the running combo for 2018. Bell gets on board or he can GTFO and go fade into obscurity on a mediocre team like the Cardinals or Redskins.