PDA

View Full Version : Bell Planning To Report Labor Day

AtlantaDan
08-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Le’Veon Bell has told some of his teammates he will report to the Steelers on Labor Day, in time for their first day of practice for the regular season opener in Cleveland, sources have told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/28/leveon-bell-news-steelers-rbs-james-conner-jaylen-samuels/stories/201808280158

So much for this nonsensical comment from Adam Schefter after Bell did not sign a long term deal earlier this summer

ESPN's Adam Schefter reacted to the news on Tuesday, and said he believes Bell could choose to sit out at least a part of the regular season.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/07/17/adam-schefter-explains-why-leveon-bell-may-sit-out-games-this-season/111186830/

No way Bell was going not show up once it started to cost him a paycheck

Dwinsgames
08-28-2018, 05:27 PM
unlikely BUT ... once he signs we can do whatever we want ( such as trade him ) ....

Mack anyone ?

ok ok ok I get it they won't but let me dream for a moment first

Mojouw
08-28-2018, 05:32 PM
unlikely BUT ... once he signs we can do whatever we want ( such as trade him ) ....

Mack anyone ?

That would be hilarious if the Steelers and the Raiders completed 3 trades in almost as many months!

Colbert must have them on speed dial at this point.

AtlantaDan
08-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Mack anyone ?

Might be nice, but Mack would cost more than Bell to sign to a long term deal and tough to fit under the cap if about the only available $$$ for 2018 were what was saved by shipping Bell's franchise tag salary to the Raiders

Odell Beckham’s new five-year, $95 million deal — agreed to Monday — has reset the market not only for wide receivers, but for Mack and his holdout analog, Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

The backbone of Beckham’s new deal reportedly features $65 million in total available guarantees...

The consensus belief in the NFL is that an elite pass rusher is worth more than an elite pass catcher, so if Beckham is getting $65 million guaranteed, the Raiders better be ready to offer a higher number — something more than $75 million — to get Mack to sign a new deal.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/27/khalil-mack-oakland-raiders-holdout-contract-odell-beckham-jr-obj-deal-guaranteed-money-jon-gruden-deal-aaron-donald-giants-rams/
(https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1034144698850582528)

Steeldude
08-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Who? Theo Bell?

st33lersguy
08-28-2018, 09:05 PM
I don't care about, ready for the team to move on from him, his drama, and lack of reliability after this year. After this year, he can go buzz off to an organization dumb enough to meet his salary demands

lipps83
08-28-2018, 09:11 PM
After this year, he can go buzz off to an organization dumb enough to meet his salary demands

Fingers crossed that there won't be one....salaries are getting a bit ridiculous.

:pray::pray::pray:

Neversatisfied
08-28-2018, 11:08 PM
It seems like the general consensus is let him walk and it's understandable considering his shitty attitude, on one hand you'd expect the guy to be a respectable teammate and cooperate and on the other he might see the average shelf life of an NFL RB and want to make hay while the sun shines......... or maybe he's just a selfish asshole.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2018, 01:34 AM
You guys are funny.

He’s a selfish asshole for giving the Steelers MORE than their money’s worth by WAY outplaying his rookie contract, being a GREAT teammate, working and practicing as hard as any player in the league, and NEVER holding out during any season.

But we’re not the selfish assholes who want him to take way less than he could otherwise get because we want him to wear the jersey of the team we happen to root for.

And what’s funnier is you want to trade for Mack who is UNDER CONTRACT and actually IS willing to hold out during the regular season and totally screw his team’s fans over.

Yeah, Fans are funny. Good thing we’re not selfish assholes though ;)

teegre
08-29-2018, 06:53 AM
Here’s Bell’s action-item list:

1. Show up the week before game one.
2. Contribute 2,500 yards-from-scrimmage.
3. Hoist Lombardi.
4. Say “Good-bye” to Steelers.
5. Get paid.

I’m fine with all of that.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Here’s Bell’s action-item list:

1. Show up the week before game one.
2. Contribute 2,500 yards-from-scrimmage.
3. Hoist Lombardi.
4. Say “Good-bye” to Steelers.
5. Get paid.

I’m fine with all of that.

In terms of importance my guess is he ranks winning the Lombardi last among those five items - if not he would not be fine with reducing the Steelers likelihood of winning games in September as he rounds himself into shape - unlike holdouts by Donald & Mack the $$$ Bell gets paid this season were set before training camp started and not showing up was just making a statement rather than increasing his leverage for more $$$

Every player wants to get paid but Bell, as is his right, makes it all about getting paid.

Not every great player does, one example being the hated Tom Brady not trying to squeeze the last nickel out of the Patriots in order to increase the possibility of building a roster that can win Lombardis

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2018, 08:18 AM
You guys are funny.

He’s a selfish asshole for giving the Steelers MORE than their money’s worth by WAY outplaying his rookie contract, being a GREAT teammate, working and practicing as hard as any player in the league, and NEVER holding out during any season.

But we’re not the selfish assholes who want him to take way less than he could otherwise get because we want him to wear the jersey of the team we happen to root for.

And what’s funnier is you want to trade for Mack who is UNDER CONTRACT and actually IS willing to hold out during the regular season and totally screw his team’s fans over.

I'm all for the guy getting paid, but do you really think the Steelers offered him "way less than he could otherwise get"??

I think they offered him way more than the RB market was and I know the approx. $26million guaranteed he is getting paid for 2017/2018 is far more than LeSean McCoy and other top backs are getting. This will be his last season in B&G likely and I am OK with that.

Mojouw
08-29-2018, 08:29 AM
In terms of importance my guess is he ranks winning the Lombardi last among those five items - if not he would not be fine with reducing the Steelers likelihood of winning games in September as he rounds himself into shape - unlike holdouts by Donald & Mack the $$$ Bell gets paid this season were set before training camp started and not showing up was just making a statement rather than increasing his leverage for more $$$

Every player wants to get paid but Bell, as is his right, makes it all about getting paid.

Not every great player does, one example being the hated Tom Brady not trying to squeeze the last nickel out of the Patriots in order to increase the possibility of building a roster that can win Lombardis

Bot Mack and Donald are under essentially one year contracts that pay them a set amount. There situation is only different from Bell's in that they could sign an extension any day and Bell has to wait until this winter. In either case "negotiation" is happening at all times.

An additional distinction is that Bell is not currently under contract - as in he hasn't signed it. So he really has no obligation to report or do anything. Donald and Mack are technically in breach of their signed contracts by not reporting.

As for Brady, lets not go nuts lauding the guy. He just got done forcing Jimmy G out of town. So it isn't like he is some team first automaton.

Finally, looking at the deals that OBJ and Gurley got, the Steelers offer to Bell was not good. It was great for the team, but pretty far short of the mark for the player. I fail to see why that is so hard to understand. Just because the numbers are bonkers and most of us would leave $5 million on the table to have a shot at $20 million or whatever doesn't change the fact that Bell and his agent have been proven correct in what the current NFL market will bear for a player of Bell's caliber. The Steelers are either not able or not willing to meet that market rate. So here we are. I'd be pissed too, if I was Bell.

Look. I get that Bell is wildly unpopular and he seems like a pretty solid example of a young kid with his head inserted very far up his ass. But at the end of the day this is all basically math. There was just a 24 month period where almost everyone claimed the math wasn't on Bell's side. That has been proven, twice now, to not be the case. Bottom line, the #'s say Bell's position is both achievable and a reasonable expectation based on performance to date.

Do I like that? Not really. Do I think Bell has approached this in an ideal fashion? Nope. Do I really want the Steelers to pay it? Not sure, but most likely not. But can I see what Bell is saying? Absolutely.

Honestly, the Steelers biggest mistake was not tearing up Bell's rookie deal after he broke out and before the franchise tag came into play. But something about water, bridges, and hindsight.

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Gurley and OBJ are just starting their prime age-wise. Bell is not. A strong case can be made that he’s actually closer to the end of his prime than the start. That’s a big factor when forking our guaranteed cash.

Mojouw
08-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Gurley and OBJ are just starting their prime age-wise. Bell is not. A strong case can be made that he’s actually closer to the end of his prime than the start. That’s a big factor when forking our guaranteed cash.

Certainly. Which is why the offered deal was great for the Steelers but not great for Bell.

One of the teams that does not employ Fournette, Elliot, Barkley, Gurley, or David Johnson will almost certainly be willing to guarantee Bell more than the Steelers would. If I was Bell, I would try for that as well.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Bot Mack and Donald are under essentially one year contracts that pay them a set amount. There situation is only different from Bell's in that they could sign an extension any day and Bell has to wait until this winter. In either case "negotiation" is happening at all times.

I think we are in agreement on how Bell not reporting affects his 2018 income - Bell not reporting could not increase what the Steelers could pay him for 2018 once his mid-July signing deadline passed - Mack and Donald not reporting could increase their leverage in negotiating what they will be paid by the Raiders and Rams in 2018 (and probably already has since the Beckham contract that is the latest upward ratchet of the market was signed while they failed to report).

I think we are also in agreement that it was in Bell's long term financial interest not to take the Steelers offer, as I posted in another thread within the past several days.

But since Bell not reporting has nothing to do with increasing his 2018 salary, what is he accomplishing? It most likely has very little to do with possibly reducing his chance of avoiding a major injury in preseason that could impair negotiating a long term deal in 2019, as evidenced by the Steelers being careful with AB and other teams such as the Rams & Falcons not having impact players play a snap in preseason games, what is he accomplishing? So he is gaining pretty much nothing - it is just empty posturing with no benefit to Bell other than the satisfaction of standing up to management.

So by not reporting after the signing deadline passed all Bell is really achieving is being less ready for week one in order to make his statement, which we know is what happened last season. Given how essential Bell is to the Steelers, which are the basis for his contract demands, that increases the possibility of Steelers losses in September and reflects the importance, or more accurately the lack thereof, he places upon winning a Lombardi this season.

Rotorhead
08-29-2018, 09:48 AM
I guess there are two types of players, the “It’s a business” type that only want to get paid, and the players who want to win Lombardi’s. I would fall into the latter category and take a smaller, but still great, wage to have a chance to win. Killing your possible roster help because you want to be the highest paid person for your position only hurts the team. I get he wants to make the most money he can while he can. At some point, millions and millions are enough to live the rest of your life, your kids lives and your grandkids lives without worry. A simple high yield interest saving acct will get 180k a year on 10mil, (and he has already made more than 10mil) and that would be a dumb way to invest his money!

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 09:50 AM
You guys are funny.

I think you are wrong on all fronts ...

1) even playing on the tag he is the highest paid RB in the league and the tag came prior to the Gurley deal

2) he will turn 28 at the end of next season

3) he has made 28 million in 2 years ....and not attended any of the off season work that equates to 3/4 of a million a game

4) he is quickly approaching the time RBs start going the other way why pay him as is he is on the rise when he is about to fall

5) he is a ME first guy , those kinds of guys normally are not good team guys esp once they get paid

6) he things he is worth the same money as AB ..... are you freaking kidding me ...claims to be #1 rb ( he isnt ) if he was he would be closer to 5ypc not less than 4 ... he claims he is a #2 wr if that where true he would average more YPC than Jesse James( a slow footed tight end ) ....

fun fact Boswell scored twice as many points as Bell in 2017 , so yes we have the killer B's even without Bell ....

Ben /Brown /Boswell

Mojouw
08-29-2018, 11:09 AM
I think we are in agreement on how Bell not reporting affects his 2018 income - Bell not reporting could not increase what the Steelers could pay him for 2018 once his mid-July signing deadline passed - Mack and Donald not reporting could increase their leverage in negotiating what they will be paid by the Raiders and Rams in 2018 (and probably already has since the Beckham contract that is the latest upward ratchet of the market was signed while they failed to report).

I think we are also in agreement that it was in Bell's long term financial interest not to take the Steelers offer, as I posted in another thread within the past several days.

But since Bell not reporting has nothing to do with increasing his 2018 salary, what is he accomplishing? It most likely has very little to do with possibly reducing his chance of avoiding a major injury in preseason that could impair negotiating a long term deal in 2019, as evidenced by the Steelers being careful with AB and other teams such as the Rams & Falcons not having impact players play a snap in preseason games, what is he accomplishing? So he is gaining pretty much nothing - it is just empty posturing with no benefit to Bell other than the satisfaction of standing up to management.

So by not reporting after the signing deadline passed all Bell is really achieving is being less ready for week one in order to make his statement, which we know is what happened last season. Given how essential Bell is to the Steelers, which are the basis for his contract demands, that increases the possibility of Steelers losses in September and reflects the importance, or more accurately the lack thereof, he places upon winning a Lombardi this season.

I guess it all comes down to how valuable training camp really is. The increasing trend in teams not playing key guys AT ALL in the preseason games makes me think the whole thing is way over-rated for established veteran players.

Bell knows the offense. Bell knows the other 10 starters. What does he have to learn? I really think a modern NFL camp is for the bottom half of the roster to prove themselves and learn enough to contribute unless a team is installing a new system due to a coaching change. I honestly think training camp is largely a hold-over from the days when most of the league worked other jobs in the off-season and were not in a conditioning/training program 24/7/365.

From that POV - training camp and preseason is all risk and no-reward for most players. I wouldn't go if I wasn't forced to either.

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Certainly. Which is why the offered deal was great for the Steelers but not great for Bell.

One of the teams that does not employ Fournette, Elliot, Barkley, Gurley, or David Johnson will almost certainly be willing to guarantee Bell more than the Steelers would. If I was Bell, I would try for that as well.
If the reports are true about the very low guaranteed money offered then I am disappointed in the offer. The overall was good IMO.

As for next year and his $$ prospects, I'd say he better put up 1800+ yards from scrimmage and over 4 YPC or he will be very disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

This post wins the internet today.

- - - Updated - - -

2) he will turn 29 next season

I don't think Bell is going to age 3 years in the next 12 months. :)

DOB 2/18/1992

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 11:36 AM
If the reports are true about the very low guaranteed money offered then I am disappointed in the offer. The overall was good IMO.

As for next year and his $$ prospects, I'd say he better put up 1800+ yards from scrimmage and over 4 YPC or he will be very disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

This post wins the internet today.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Bell is going to age 3 years in the next 12 months. :)

DOB 2/18/1992

typo ... he will turn 28 at the end of next season ( still does not bode well for a long term high $ contract for a RB )

AtlantaDan
08-29-2018, 11:52 AM
I guess it all comes down to how valuable training camp really is. The increasing trend in teams not playing key guys AT ALL in the preseason games makes me think the whole thing is way over-rated for established veteran players.

Bell knows the offense. Bell knows the other 10 starters. What does he have to learn? I really think a modern NFL camp is for the bottom half of the roster to prove themselves and learn enough to contribute unless a team is installing a new system due to a coaching change. I honestly think training camp is largely a hold-over from the days when most of the league worked other jobs in the off-season and were not in a conditioning/training program 24/7/365.

From that POV - training camp and preseason is all risk and no-reward for most players. I wouldn't go if I wasn't forced to either.

I agree a six week preseason now serves mainly to require season ticket holders to pay for two preseason games and to assess who will fill out the roster after the starters. If the NFL were able to increase the regular season to 18 games to make another cash grab and reduce the preseason to two games it would do it in a heartbeat.

But IMO there is a downside to not reporting until the week before the start of the regular season and we have a benchmark for Bell - he has been more productive in Septembers when he reported than when he did not in 2017. So apparently it has some value for Bell.

Tomlin, who is not known for calling out his star players, seems to agree

Tomlin said there are two big issues surrounding Bell's absence.

"I try not to have any preconceived notions, because there's some variables at play that are significant, and that is: When he gets here, and the level of conditioning he's in when he gets here," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to assume that they're going to be the same as last year."...

"I'm hopeful that he'll get to us sooner," Tomlin said. "I'm hopeful that he'll be in better condition even than he was a year ago. Those are two key components that are allowing me to have a wait-and-see attitude."

It's probably not a coincidence that Tomlin mentioned the conditioning of Bell, and that's because there's a strong belief that the Steelers running back wasn't in football shape when he finally reported to the team last September.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-tomlin-lists-two-things-hes-hoping-to-see-from-leveon-bell-before-camp-ends/

Mojouw
08-29-2018, 12:19 PM
I agree a six week preseason now serves mainly to require season ticket holders to pay for two preseason games and to assess who will fill out the roster after the starters. If the NFL were able to increase the regular season to 18 games to make another cash grab and reduce the preseason to two games it would do it in a heartbeat.

But IMO there is a downside to not reporting until the week before the start of the regular season and we have a benchmark for Bell - he has been more productive in Septembers when he reported than when he did not in 2017. So apparently it has some value for Bell.

Tomlin, who is not known for calling out his star players, seems to agree

Tomlin said there are two big issues surrounding Bell's absence.

"I try not to have any preconceived notions, because there's some variables at play that are significant, and that is: When he gets here, and the level of conditioning he's in when he gets here," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to assume that they're going to be the same as last year."...

"I'm hopeful that he'll get to us sooner," Tomlin said. "I'm hopeful that he'll be in better condition even than he was a year ago. Those are two key components that are allowing me to have a wait-and-see attitude."

It's probably not a coincidence that Tomlin mentioned the conditioning of Bell, and that's because there's a strong belief that the Steelers running back wasn't in football shape when he finally reported to the team last September.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-tomlin-lists-two-things-hes-hoping-to-see-from-leveon-bell-before-camp-ends/

Do we? 2014 was the last time Bell was in camp and played the first few weeks of the season. He rushed for 378 yards on 72 attempts for 1 TD in four games.

In 2017 he rushed for 324 yards on 87 carries for 3 scores. Since there were only 3 September games, I included the first week in October to make the # of games the same.

For laughs I took a look at 2016 where Bell did go to camp and then missed 3 games. In weeks 4-7 he had 69 carries for 344 yards (4.98 per tote) and 0 TDs.

So apparently missing training camp means 1.25 yards less per carry but 2 more scores? I realize this is all nonsense with numbers and ultimately meaningless as it changes nothing - but so is much of the battle of words between the Steelers, Bell and his agent, and Tomlin. It is all media posturing and means basically nothing.

The numbers say Bell is basically the same guy and consistently has some clunkers mixed in with some good games in his first quarter of the season. That happens whether he goes to camp or doesn't go to camp or misses the first month after camp.

I get that Bell is a dingus. I get that maybe him being there would be emotionally and mentally important to his teammates and the coaches. Not arguing that. But the on field results say it is basically a wash.

AtlantaDan
08-29-2018, 05:18 PM
I get that Bell is a dingus.

On this we definitely agree :chuckle: :drink:

And it is not as if Bell is the only person in the NFL who puts personal goals above winning Lombardis. This excerpt from the book Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times that is being published next week that was written by a real reporter that the owners made the mistake of giving access in the apparent belief he would be another one of their lapdogs like Peter King or Adam Schefter

Jerry Jones, sharing a table with Kraft, was riding high, too, having just learned the night before that he would be inducted into the Hall of Fame with the class of 2017....

I wondered whether Jones would trade his gold jacket for another Super Bowl ring...

His response was somewhat less clear. “Oh, boy,” he kept saying. “Boy. Boy! Boy! Boy! Boy.” We were sitting aboard the Dallas Cowboys’ bus in the parking lot of a golf course not far from the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. As a general rule, the Dallas Cowboys’ bus is not a place for the faint of heart or liver.

“I do like to have a drink,” Jones confirmed, something I’d heard from a few people. “Do you want a shot of Scotch?” he asked me. Sure, I said, not realizing that by “shot,” Jones was talking about large blue plastic souvenir cups bearing the Cowboys’ logo, soon to be filled (and refilled) with Johnnie Walker Blue Label, Jones’s favored libation.

I relay this by way of transparency into Jones’s inhibitions, which were relaxing rapidly. When I asked him again whether he would trade his gold jacket for another ring, Jerry’s face assumed a kind of happy grimace at this high-class dilemma. Finally, he answered. “No,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/magazine/nfl-owners-trump-football.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection% 2Fmagazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Do we? 2014 was the last time Bell was in camp and played the first few weeks of the season. He rushed for 378 yards on 72 attempts for 1 TD in four games.

In 2017 he rushed for 324 yards on 87 carries for 3 scores. Since there were only 3 September games, I included the first week in October to make the # of games the same.

For laughs I took a look at 2016 where Bell did go to camp and then missed 3 games. In weeks 4-7 he had 69 carries for 344 yards (4.98 per tote) and 0 TDs.

So apparently missing training camp means 1.25 yards less per carry but 2 more scores? I realize this is all nonsense with numbers and ultimately meaningless as it changes nothing - but so is much of the battle of words between the Steelers, Bell and his agent, and Tomlin. It is all media posturing and means basically nothing.

The numbers say Bell is basically the same guy and consistently has some clunkers mixed in with some good games in his first quarter of the season. That happens whether he goes to camp or doesn't go to camp or misses the first month after camp.

I get that Bell is a dingus. I get that maybe him being there would be emotionally and mentally important to his teammates and the coaches. Not arguing that. But the on field results say it is basically a wash.
That's a lot of numbers... the telling ones are 5.25 YPC vs. 3.72. That's the difference between Jim Brown and Fitzgerald Toussaint.

Mojouw
08-29-2018, 05:41 PM
That's a lot of numbers... the telling ones are 5.25 YPC vs. 3.72. That's the difference between Jim Brown and Fitzgerald Toussaint.

Totally agree. The interesting thing is that the seasons where the YPC is down (which is basically every season after 2014) the #'s don't get better over the course of the year by all that much.

So it isn't like Bell misses camp and puts out 3.5 for the first 4 games and then 4.5+ after that.

I think that while we disagree on Bell's "ranking", you are on to something with the YPC. It is on a fairly steady downward trend. Someone smarter than me will have to unpack all the reasons/causes for that trend. But as you have posted, there is little denying it.

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Yeah I don't think it's just the slow starts, I think it's a combination of physical decline and defenses understanding how to stop him and his unique style.

Steeldude
08-29-2018, 06:18 PM
You guys are funny.

He put drugs ahead of his job. He put himself ahead of team. He signed the contract. If he didn't like it then he shouldn't have signed it.

tube517
08-30-2018, 05:04 AM
Who? Theo Bell?I would take Theo over DHB or Hunter 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk