PDA

View Full Version : How Many Special Teams Guys Make the Roster?

Mojouw
08-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Been thinking that the bottom of the Steelers roster has been targeted for "special teams guys". Meaning guys that have little to no role on gameday except for special teams. While I realize that is critically important, how many of the below actually make the roster?

DHB - not like he really plays wideout
Marcus Tucker - starting to look less and less like an NFL wideout and like a smaller DHB
Nate Berhe - Robert Golden 2.0? If he plays on defense a lot has gone wrong.
Tyler Matekevich - Special Teams wonderkid, but is totally overmatched playing on actual defense.
LJ Fort - seems to have no role on defense but retains good to really good special teams value

SteelMember
08-27-2018, 09:28 AM
I am less convinced Quadree Henderson gets a special spot... even over DHB at this point.

BlackAndGold
08-27-2018, 09:37 AM
DHB, TM, Berhe. Fort(Unless they sign another LB)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2018, 09:39 AM
I am less convinced Quadree Henderson gets a special spot... even over DHB at this point.

Yeah, he can return kickoffs, which is easy as anybody can take a knee in the end zone.

I think DHB, Behre, Matakevich and Fort are the guys on your list that make it. Patterson looks willing to play and might be the reason they keep him as #6WR. My only question is if Toussaint or Samuels make it, as Fitz seems to be the better special teamer and looked really quick in the early going running the football, but Samuels gives the receiving value and looked better running the football last couple games.

Dwinsgames
08-27-2018, 09:40 AM

me too he played it to safe in all the chances he got ... he needed to make something happen and he instead took the fair catch at nearly every opportunity and 3 or 4 times he IMO clearly should have taken the ball and ran 10 yards was there for the taking and 1 move or broken tackle and who knows ?

I think he is gone ...

I hope the number is 2 and it is Fort and Berhe

that said I suspect it will be 3

86WARD
08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
It’s gonna be a little different now that Switzer is in the mix...

Cyphon25
08-27-2018, 06:42 PM
DHB and Matekevich are locks. Matekevich is a solid number 3 or 4 ILB on a team. He had a solid game vs the Titans last week.

Fort and Behre are likely though for some reason they don't seem to like Fort much. He may be a possible cut if they want an extra number somewhere else. Especially with Thomas continuing on the upward trend. Means Fort is clearly the 5th ILB right now.

Tucker's chances were low to begin with and now the injury and penalties mean he is maybe back to the PS or just cut outright.

He was never going to make it to begin with. His chances went from like .00003% to just straight 0 when he decided to fair catch everything. Now it is -100% since they signed Switzer.

Born2Steel
09-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Fort is a good pass cover LB. That won't help him though as far as ST. Last season Spence was brought in ahead of him so that tells you his value off ST.

Berhe's role(Golden's role) is a veteran's role. Unless we have someone else I think he makes this team.

DHB is anyone's guess. What is the reason he has stuck this long? That may be the reason he sticks for another year.

Tucker??? If it is ST ability that keeps one of these 2 WRs, I think we keep DHB over Tucker.

Matakevich I believe is a lock. He is VW 2.0 on ST and a productive(meaning he CAN tackle) ILB since being drafted.

Mojouw
09-02-2018, 02:35 PM
I guess the answer is quite a few. I see the following as guys who will not contribute to either offense or defense in a meaningful way:

Heyward-Bey
Switzer
Matakevich
Fort
Berhe
Dangerfield
Marcus Allen - maybe he plays a bit as a SS/LB hybrid

Craic
09-02-2018, 02:41 PM
I thought berhe was cut

Mojouw
09-02-2018, 03:14 PM
I thought berhe was cut

He was but multiple reports have him being rostered again as soon as he clears waivers and another player is put on IR.

Many Steelers related places have made the assumption that due to Burnett being listed as injured and the team carrying so many safeties that he is the one slated for IR with a designation to return status for Week 8.