PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Pass Defense by Route Type

Mojouw
08-24-2018, 02:22 PM
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-dvoa-routes-defense

If you can wade through the data tables, it is a pretty interesting look at where the defense did and didn't do well agains the pass.

Bottom line is the summary at the end, the Steelers were the 10th best overall pass defense according to Football Outsiders evaluation system (think WAR for football).

Edman
08-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Interesting, and then you watch the tape of the Baltimore, Green Bay, Cleveland and second Jacksonville games and see otherwise. Even against Indianapolis they were shredded for long plays. The side pass and screen pass seemed to be the Defenses greatest weakness. I noticed teams never burned the Steelers through the deep bomb. They beat them intermediate over the middle and on the short outside, and yet the YAC take over.

38 to Joe Flacco, 28 to Brett Hundley, 24 to Kizer, 38 points to Blake Bortles, and that's all I need to know about the 2017 Defense. It wasn't good and I hope 2018 is any improvement.

Mojouw
08-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Interesting, and then you watch the tape of the Baltimore, Green Bay, Cleveland and second Jacksonville games and see otherwise. Even against Indianapolis they were shredded for long plays. The side pass and screen pass seemed to be the Defenses greatest weakness. I noticed teams never burned the Steelers through the deep bomb. They beat them intermediate over the middle and on the short outside, and yet the YAC take over.

38 to Joe Flacco, 28 to Brett Hundley, 24 to Kizer, 38 points to Blake Bortles, and that's all I need to know about the 2017 Defense. It wasn't good and I hope 2018 is any improvement.

True.

They gave up 7+ yards after catch on the slant. 5.2 on the Go. They did well compared to the rest of the league on WR screens, RB screens I suspect were worse. The post route killed them with 9.5 YAC. They also stunk against the comeback.

What does it all mean, not so sure. But they mostly got killed by 2-4 big mental mistakes per game and poor tackling not consistently being shredded.

If we buy the company line then it was all Mitchell's fault and problems associated with Shazier's injury. I don't buy that. I think that Artie Burns is terminally dumb. Joe Haden has lost about 2 steps and looks to jump anything under 10 yards. Hilton is rock solid. Mitchell was always over-rated and Sean Davis is playing slow because he never understands where he is supposed to be.

If Burnett is better than Mitchell and Haden is solid and Burns got a brain transplant and Davis can play faster -- then everything is going to get way better. That is a ton of "Ifs".

I'm not actually all that down on the defense. Significant improvements have been made and I think they are on the right track personnel and scheme wise, but I just can't get past the fact that they almost led the league in sacks and were below average in takeaways. Something is wrong there.

Born2Steel
08-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Love that the pass defense has improved. It is our run defense that has fallen off. It only takes 3-4 yards per play to keep the chains moving. LBs need to impress against the Titans for me to feel better about this defense. Outside of VW and Dupree they look like a group of backups and spcial teamers. Watt's hammy issues could derail his entire season. Remember, LB play is not just about rushing the passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
08-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Love that the pass defense has improved. It is our run defense that has fallen off. It only takes 3-4 yards per play to keep the chains moving. LBs need to impress against the Titans for me to feel better about this defense. Outside of VW and Dupree they look like a group of backups and spcial teamers. Watt's hammy issues could derail his entire season. Remember, LB play is not just about rushing the passer.

Do you feel better now?

Born2Steel
08-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Do you feel better now?

I do actually. Derek Henry only played 2-3 series but defense overall played a great game. Run defense really stepped it up.

Born2Steel
08-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Where is Hilton lining up this preseason?

43Hitman
08-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Where is Hilton lining up this preseason?

I don't think he's played; has he?

Born2Steel
08-26-2018, 10:02 AM
I don't think he's played; has he?

I've seen #31 on the field. Just looks more like I see him lining up back at safety. Maybe it's just nickel/dime package.

SteelMember
08-27-2018, 09:58 AM
I've seen #31 on the field. Just looks more like I see him lining up back at safety. Maybe it's just nickel/dime package.

Currently, #31 is Berhe. Probably why you're seeing him around safety. Hilton is #28

Born2Steel
08-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Currently, #31 is Berhe. Probably why you're seeing him around safety. Hilton is #28

Huh. Did Hilton wear 31 last season or 28? I swear I used to remember player numbers better than I do now.

SteelMember
08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Huh. Did Hilton wear 31 last season or 28? I swear I used to remember player numbers better than I do now.

Last year, yes. That's why I said currently. He took Davis #28 when all that jersey number exchange went down starting with Haden getting the 23 that was Mitchell.

Born2Steel
08-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Last year, yes. That's why I said currently. He took Davis #28 when all that jersey number exchange went down starting with Haden getting the 23 that was Mitchell.

Ok makes sense.