PDA

View Full Version : What the hell...who cares about losses??? What are you favorite Wins of all time???

Butch
08-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Why does someone want to relive losses? Screw that this is a new season.

What are your all time favorite wins??? In no particular order what so ever here are a few of mine.

1. I will never forget the Monday Night game against the ravens when James Harrison had his coming out party. All the 70s Steelers were there and James gave them a show.
2. The playoff game against the oilers in the 80's. Merile Hodge was the catalyst in a game that was tooth and nail and the Steelers pulled out a stunning upset
3. Superbowl XLIII James Harrison, Santonio and Ben Helluva game
4. the playoff game that got us to XLIII thanks to the int. by 43
5. Superbowl X was the 1st Great Superbowl Swannie's catches will live on forever
6. Superbowl IX the 1st Superbowl, I remember the 1/2 time score was 2-0 and Dwight played a helluva game for being sick. LOL

I know there are a Ton more, let's hear what you got.

DesertSteel
08-23-2018, 07:56 PM
The game with Troy's INT/TD against the Ravens in the AFCCG.

teegre
08-23-2018, 08:22 PM
2. The playoff game against the oilers in the 80's. Merile Hodge was the catalyst in a game that was tooth and nail and the Steelers pulled out a stunning upset

I made a black-ink line-drawing of Hoge from an image from that game. It’s still framed on my parents’ wall.

AtlantaDan
08-23-2018, 08:24 PM
From the old days - 1974 AFC championship game win over Raiders in Oakland that launched the dynasty

Many years later Joe Greene would say that only once in his 13-year NFL career had he and the Steelers’ defense been in the zone—where the unit could do no wrong—and that was during the 1974 AFC title game.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2Fstyles%2Fmarquee_large_2x%2Fpublic%2F2013 %2F10%2Fsteelers-line-960.jpg%3Fitok%3DtWCK2T8S&w=800&q=85

https://www.si.com/2013/11/01/joe-greene-jim-otto-1974-afc-championship-game

From the not so old days - win over Colts in Indy during the 2005 season playoff run (the Bettis fumble on the goal line game)/2008 season AFC championship win over Ravens (the Troy pick 6 game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcAhSJZFBB4

st33lersguy
08-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Super Bowl 43 with the Harrison INT and the Santonio catch.

05 divisional game against the Colts: The crazy ending will never be forgotten (and probably not replicated in football on any level for at least 100 years). I also consider this the de facto Super Bowl of the 2005 season. It was the most dramatic moment of the season, the closest they came to losing during the 8 game winning streak, and the Colts were the 2nd best team in the NFL that season and would have likely rolled over the Broncos and Seattle Crybabies had they managed to win

Also 2008 and 2010 playoff games against Baltimore. Beating the Ratbirds to make it to the Super Bowl was great. Then 2010 coming back from down 21-7 thanks to 3 consecutive turnovers and 3rd and 19 (and our first introduction to AB's greatness)

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 08:41 PM
The game in 2005 against the Bears, that started their run to the SB. In the snow and the only one who could move the ball was Bettis. Running over Brian Urlacher and into the end zone. Still one of my all time favorite plays.

Bus: Smash mouth football.......Pittsburgh style!

Butch
08-23-2018, 08:45 PM
A christmas day game...time running out...Ben throws a pass to AB who is covered and short of the endzone...despite a facemasking and 3 defenders around him, AB reaches the ball out over the endzone for the WIN!!! WhoooHooo!!!!

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 08:45 PM
The game in 2005 against the Bears, that started their run to the SB. In the snow and the only one who could move the ball was Bettis. Running over Brian Urlacher and into the end zone. Still one of my all time favorite plays.

That was also when the legend of Pimply Dan (Can no lose any more games) was born. :chuckle:

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 08:48 PM
That was also when the legend of Pimply Dan (Can no lose any more games) was born. :chuckle:

:rofl2:

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 08:51 PM
:rofl2:

In case anyone doesn't get the reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comments/7ircu7/the_myth_the_man_the_legend_pimplydan/

tube517
08-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Should be permanently pinned to this entire forum :chuckle:

Butch
08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
In case anyone doesn't get the reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comments/7ircu7/the_myth_the_man_the_legend_pimplydan/
I did not know yinz then, but I have heard of the legend that is...Pimply Dan. Long Live Pimply Dan!!! LOL

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Should be permanently pinned to this entire forum :chuckle:

https://i.imgur.com/lYVjx.jpg

:chuckle:

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 08:56 PM

I still can’t believe the mods let that thread go for so long, when there were others that were deleted right away.

teegre
08-23-2018, 08:59 PM
I still can’t believe the mods let that thread go for so long, when there were others that were deleted right away.

It went on, because the Steelers kept winning...

(Make sense?)

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Sorry about the hijack. :chuckle:

My favorite SB win is still SB XIV. It was pretty evident that that was going to be the end of the run for a while. Didn't think "a while" would be 26 years, however.

My favorite regular season win was when the Steelers beat the 49ers in Candlestick in 1984. That was also the only loss the 49ers suffered that season.

Butch
08-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Sorry about the hijack. :chuckle:

My favorite SB win is still SB XIV. It was pretty evident that that was going to be the end of the run for a while. Didn't think "a while" would be 26 years, however.

My favorite regular season win was when the Steelers beat the 49ers in Candlestick in 1984. That was also the only loss the 49ers suffered that season.
No need to appologize this is a fun thread post away!!!
I remember that game at candlestick. My old boss was an asshat and a niners fan. I loved that game even more so because of him.

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 09:04 PM
It went on, because the Steelers kept winning...

(Make sense?)

I suppose. :heh:

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 09:09 PM
No need to appologize this is a fun thread post away!!!
I remember that game at candlestick. My old boss was an asshat and a niners fan. I loved that game even more so because of him.

1984 was probably one of Noll's best coaching jobs. To get all the way to the AFCCG with Mark Malone under center took some serious coaching.

teegre
08-23-2018, 09:13 PM
1997 Steelers at Patriots*

*(they weren’t the Taperiots yet; they were a good team who didn’t need to cheat.)

Steelers down by 8. The Patriots had a 3rd-&-7. If the Pats converted, the gane was over. Bledsoe dropped back... and Kevin Henry intercepted the pass. Kordell made two heart-stopping throws (TD, 2-point conversion) to tie the game, followed by a 40+ completion in OT... to grasp a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I. Went. Apeshit!!!

BlackAndGold
08-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Super Bowl vs Cards. Harrison's 100 yard interception, Ben/Holmes clutch drive+TD catch.

I'll always remember the AFCCG vs the ravens that lead us to the Super Bowl. One of the best crowd atmosphere's I've watched(The crowd noise was noticeable through the TV the whole game, turned up in the 4th)

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 09:19 PM
1997 Steelers at Patriots*

*(they weren’t the Taperiots yet; they were a good team who didn’t need to cheat.)

Steelers down by 8. The Patriots had a 3rd-&-7. If the Pats converted, the gane was over. Bledsoe dropped back... and Kevin Henry intercepted the pass. Kordell made two heart-stopping throws (TD, 2-point conversion) to tie the game, followed by a 40+ completion in OT... to grasp a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I. Went. Apeshit!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_S1w0wZm8

teegre
08-23-2018, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do_S1w0wZm8

Pretty much a play-by-play of my reaction.

:lol:

Dwinsgames
08-23-2018, 09:29 PM
as a teen growing up Steelers vs Oilers games where the best ...

all SB wins obviously ...

and the Halloween game vs the Pats all have a special place in my heart

Butch
08-23-2018, 09:29 PM
I made a black-ink line-drawing of Hoge from an image from that game. It’s still framed on my parents’ wall.

Ok let me see if this works. https://dl-mail.ymail.com/ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-gg_GfMr9zJBIIFkwuIDWd0hjSbqs1dAuDqziGK_1sYYBth0JMr zl_1UIsVV-L--1Gl2LEeEb8L4Fd0GBJs5fOA/messages/@.id==AOnnBQdID2w-W39rngEwsGlosGM/content/parts/@.id==2/raw?appid=YahooMailBasic&ymreqid=679b63ec-9397-e933-13e5-c80000010000&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBaFYbPVmYnA6assHiOmMiraP9KLthHPXil cNUewU75ifv3eSRmnWDtEr_Ert6-eR5PKq2x236OSj64rSSjwoc6v

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 09:36 PM

:iagree:

I still remember the '79 AFCCG when Mean Joe absolutely stuffed Earl Campbell single-handedly in a third-and-short yardage situation to force a punt. And that was still when nobody stuffed Earl Campbell.

Butch
08-23-2018, 09:39 PM
That Pic I posted is from Teegre. One helluva drawing sir...I like it

- - - Updated - - -

all SB wins obviously ...

and the Halloween game vs the Pats all have a special place in my heart

The Steelers were the reason some guys invented the flack jacket for Dan Pastorini. Even with the flack jacket the Steel Curtain continued to hurt him.

Dwinsgames
08-23-2018, 09:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lYVjx.jpg

wow thats a blast from the past ...

I was Lambert75 on that board .... BigCurt is Curtis PopeJoy managing editor at steelerwire ...
Hillbillybiker I believe changed his name to drunkenhillbilly and was a member of my old board

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 09:53 PM

I was Lambert75 on that board .... BigCurt is Curtis PopeJoy managing editor at steelerwire ...
Hillbillybiker I believe changed his name to drunkenhillbilly and was a member of my old board

Remember Wyoming Cowboy Barbie (supposedly also one of Brett Keisel's aunts)?

Hillbillybiker was hilarious!

I was fansince'76 there too.

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Remember Wyoming Cowboy Barbie (supposedly also one of Brett Keisel's aunts)?

Hillbillybiker was hilarious!

I was fansince'76 there too.

I won’t tell you who I was......just in case.:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
08-23-2018, 10:12 PM
I won’t tell you who I was......just in case.:chuckle:

I USED to know ..... dam getting old sucks !

Butch
08-23-2018, 10:13 PM
I USED to know ..... dam getting old sucks !
LOL I say that all the time...and that I have a mind like a Steel Sieve

Dwinsgames
08-23-2018, 10:16 PM
LOL I say that all the time...and that I have a mind like a Steel Sieve

Yup and most of the memories are liquid

Hawkman
08-23-2018, 10:37 PM
This may be a little weak, but I still love the game in Baltimore that was Charlie Batch’s last start 2012. 23-20 win. I met Batch at the James Farrior Foundation outing......what a great guy. Talked to everyone as though he’d known them forever. No ego.

Dwinsgames
08-23-2018, 11:00 PM
This may be a little weak, but I still love the game in Baltimore that was Charlie Batch’s last start 2012. 23-20 win. I met Batch at the James Farrior Foundation outing......what a great guy. Talked to everyone as though he’d known them forever. No ego.

seen him at training camp , great guy .. he will be at my grandsons elementary school tomorrow as a key note speaker .... still giving back

Steeldude
08-24-2018, 04:59 AM
Any win without Kordell as the QB.

SB wins of course.

Games in the 70's. When football was football.

- - - Updated - - -

I was banned on that MB. Why? Because I insulted Kordell. However, it was ok to insult any other player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Steelers beating Rams in 1980 Superbowl
-Final game at 3 Rivers and Hank Poteat punt return TD
-Tommy Maddox engineers Wildcard comeback vs Browns
-SBXL , as it was so long between Lombardi's
-Beating Ravens on way to Super Bowl, Troy's pick 6 and Ryan Clark just crushing McGahee
-Bettis final 100 yard game vs Bears in the snow
-Beating the Cardinals in Superbowl
-Watching Bungles implode 2 years ago and Boz kicking the winning FG

Fire Goodell
08-24-2018, 12:14 PM
the game where ed reed got knocked out by hines ward and we won that game like 80 million to 3

Dwinsgames
08-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Any win without Kordell as the QB.

SB wins of course.

Games in the 70's. When football was football.

- - - Updated - - -

I was banned on that MB. Why? Because I insulted Kordell. However, it was ok to insult any other player.

I was banned multiple times , for what ? talking about players in the coming draft .... their logic " not steeler related" ...gee who would ever think the draft isnt steeler ( and 31 other teams ) related

Hawkman
08-24-2018, 01:24 PM
I was banned multiple times , for what ? talking about players in the coming draft .... their logic " not steeler related" ...gee who would ever think the draft isnt steeler ( and 31 other teams ) related

I started a totally nonsensical thread, (imagine that) one that board, just to see how long before it was deleted or before I was banned. It was such a fun thread that it made it ti 21 or 22 pages before they shut it down. I didn’t really care what they did. I was so sick of the mods banning good posters and deleting great threads.

tube517
08-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Any win vs the Crygirls. Regular season or Super Bowl.

Here is one never mentioned.

1982 MNF season opener at Dallas. We win 36-28. Bradshaw 3 TD passes. Franco 100 + yds rushing. Stallworth 100+ yds receiving. But this was the season they debuted a 3-4 defense which was a first.

This strike shortened season was the true last hurrah for the remaining group of the 70s Steelers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FrancoLambert
08-25-2018, 07:54 AM
The Immaculate Reception game - sitting on the couch knowing that a loss is inevitable only to spring from the couch with my face inches away from the tv screaming “run Franco run”

Beating the Oilers in many big games.

The playoff run beating the Ravens and Jets - beating the Ravens because they’re the Ravens and watching big mouth Rex Ryan take off his headset in disgust and throwing them to the ground

Born2Steel
08-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Any win in the division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
08-25-2018, 10:56 AM
These games evoked visceral reactions from me:

Steelers-Bengals playoffs, where Burfict fouls AB, and we come back to win..... I jump over a room divider, land on the kitchen table, and crack a rib.

AB extends to get the TD against the Ravens..... I jump up to high-five my bro-in-law, and I knock both of us over as I collapse (faint?).

Non-Steelers: When Plax caught that TD to defeat the Taperiots (18-1)..... I cheered so loudly that “The 12th Man” up in Seattle (1,500 miles away) was like, “Dayamn!!!”

Non-Steelers: I was down the hallway, in the bathroom when the Music City Miracle started..... and as I ran down the hallway to watch it unfold, my body did not “shut off” my urination. Yes, I pissed myself (literally) with excitement. :lol:

Hawkman
08-25-2018, 01:54 PM

Steelers-Bengals playoffs, where Burfict fouls AB, and we come back to win..... I jump over a room divider, land on the kitchen table, and crack a rib.

AB extends to get the TD against the Ravens..... I jump up to high-five my bro-in-law, and I knock both of us over as I collapse (faint?).

Non-Steelers: When Plax caught that TD to defeat the Taperiots (18-1)..... I cheered so loudly that “The 12th Man” up in Seattle (1,500 miles away) was like, “Dayamn!!!”

Non-Steelers: I was down the hallway, in the bathroom when the Music City Miracle started..... and as I ran down the hallway to watch it unfold, my body did not “shut off” my urination. Yes, I pissed myself (literally) with excitement. :lol:

I’m thinking that you have some issues to work through.:heh:

pczach
08-26-2018, 09:00 AM

Clearly, you are doing what you were born to do.

:toofunny:

teegre
08-26-2018, 09:16 AM
I’m thinking that you have some issues to work through.:heh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYHkbWtJ_Y&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Hawkman
08-26-2018, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYHkbWtJ_Y&app=desktop&persist_app=1

:chuckle::rofl2:

saturdaysarebetter
08-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Far too many to list, every Super Bowl win. Especially SB 43 since I was there.

The AFCCG victories over Oakland, Houston, Baltimore.

polamalubeast
09-02-2018, 08:16 PM
My favorite is probably the playoffs game against the Colts in 2005 when no one gave us a chance to win.But this game should never have been close for obvious reason (the non interception of Polamalu and the fumble of Bettis)

The game after in Denver, where the steelers have often been mediocre historically(before or after) was also special since it was almost a perfect game, especially in the first half and it allowed Bettis to finish his career with a super bowl win 2 weeks later in his hometown!

These are my favorite victories since it was improbable, even if the steelers were a great team at that time

Renegade
09-03-2018, 02:36 AM
2010 season (so it was the playoffs of 2011) The comeback against the ratbirds. down 21-7 at half cameback to win 31-24. Antonio pinned the ball to his helmet on a 3rd and 19 bomb!!!!! (Also in this season, polumalu flying in and strip sacking flacco in the broken nose ben game!!
2012 batch bakes the birds. that was fun.
2014 Big Ben throws 6 touchdowns en route to a 43-23 steamrolling of baltimore on sunday night football.
2016/2017, the last 2 comebacks against the ravens at heinz field.
the bengal meltdown in the playoffs was cool. along with their more recent implosion on monday night football when they led 17-0 and lost!!!!!

86WARD
09-03-2018, 07:04 AM
- 1989 WC Victory against the Houston Oilers. Jumped up so high, punched out a ceiling tile in our basement just before my parents were entertaining for a party that night.

- Super Bowl XL Victory

- James Harrison's Run back in XLIII. Asked the wife for a chest bump, she denied, so I chest bumped the wall and did some damage to the dry wall...lol. It's all fixed now...

That's all for now...