PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Hodges at TE... Color me curious

Iron Steeler
08-23-2018, 06:04 PM
They guy has the highlight reel from Virginia Tech.

I read some where he Ran a 4.4 in college 4.5 at the combine
6'6 240 lbs

https://youtu.be/UVpPmxAl2ak

(https://youtu.be/UVpPmxAl2ak)
Any scouting nuts out their know whats wrong with this kid?
I can assume blocking is an issue off the bat.

Mojouw
08-23-2018, 06:10 PM
He isn't a TE. He has the size, but he is simply incapable of blocking or even really slowing anyone down. Therefore, he can not get on the field for a competent NFL team because he can not do 40-50% of the responsibilities of his position.

He is best thought of as a very large WR. And he doesn't really move the needle there with the other options the team has at WR.

I think it was a great idea to bring Hodges in and see if you can teach him to block, but multiple NFL teams failed to do that last year. That being said, it is only the kid's second year in the league, so there is always room for growth. The Steelers have sort of taught James and Grimble to block - if you squint really hard and don't look too long.

Best hope for Hodges is that he gets to the PS and learns how to play his actual position at the NFL level.

Whoever figures out how to transition these college WR/TE guys that can't block a lick to NFL TEs that can at least slow a guy down, is going to be in very high demand.

DesertSteel
08-23-2018, 07:41 PM
He isn't a TE. He has the size, but he is simply incapable of blocking or even really slowing anyone down. Therefore, he can not get on the field for a competent NFL team because he can not do 40-50% of the responsibilities of his position.

He is best thought of as a very large WR. And he doesn't really move the needle there with the other options the team has at WR.

I think it was a great idea to bring Hodges in and see if you can teach him to block, but multiple NFL teams failed to do that last year. That being said, it is only the kid's second year in the league, so there is always room for growth. The Steelers have sort of taught James and Grimble to block - if you squint really hard and don't look too long.

Best hope for Hodges is that he gets to the PS and learns how to play his actual position at the NFL level.

Whoever figures out how to transition these college WR/TE guys that can't block a lick to NFL TEs that can at least slow a guy down, is going to be in very high demand.
Are you saying that Jesse James is a better blocker?? :)

Cyphon25
08-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Jesse James has improved as a blocker every year. Still certainly not Heath Miller or Matt Spaeth, but solid. He had a good game blocking vs the Packers.

I think he just has no attitude as a blocker. Technically he kind of knows what to do and can turn guys but you will never see him getting aggressive and trying to maul guys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2018, 10:07 AM

I think he is saying that JuJu, James Washington and DHB are better blockers than Bucky.

Mojouw
08-24-2018, 12:22 PM

I think he is saying that JuJu, James Washington and DHB are better blockers than Bucky.

YOu're both right!

And, yes, we have found someone that James can block better than.

Born2Steel
08-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Simply put Hodges is a pass catcher. Problem I see in his highlights is he seems to just fall down once he makes the catch. I hope he has fixed that by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
08-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Simply put Hodges is a pass catcher. Problem I see in his highlights is he seems to just fall down once he makes the catch. I hope he has fixed that by now.

That’s what it always looked like Heath was doing... except Heath would fall really really slowly, and his legs would be moving for positive yardage while he was doing it. ;)

Moose
08-26-2018, 02:31 PM
How in the hell are some of these guys getting IN THE NFL .. when they can't play their positions, can't block, can't tackle....etc.,etc.. ? Seems like we are always talking about this player or that player can't do the job !

HollywoodSteel
08-26-2018, 02:37 PM
But seriously, at what point down the spectrum, are we really fooling ourselves and absolutely no one else by insisting on having a “TE” on the field? Until someone is healthy who can kind of do both tight endy things, Shouldn’t we just put in either an extra tackle or extra receiver?

I mean, once Bell is in the game, he can be that “jeepers, I don’t know what he’ll do; he might block or he might get the ball, or even both” guy. How many “mystery positions for the sake of mystery” does one offense need?

Since Bell wants to get paid for like 11 different positions, he should also be able to block for himself on a running play.

Mojouw
08-26-2018, 03:01 PM
How in the hell are some of these guys getting IN THE NFL .. when they can't play their positions, can't block, can't tackle....etc.,etc.. ? Seems like we are always talking about this player or that player can't do the job !

Because college football and the NFL barely play the same sport anymore.

TE's and OL in particular are asked to do fundamentally and very different things in NCAA compared to the NFL.

Also, let us not forget that we are talking about a later round draft pick that is on his 3rd or 4th team in 2 years.

Finally, when you are the top guy in your position group at 4 of 6 major combine events, you are going to get a TON of chances to see if you can "figure it out".

teegre
08-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Since Bell wants to get paid for like 11 different positions, he should also be able to block for himself on a running play.

Quoted so that everyone notices this brilliant post. :lol:

DesertSteel
08-26-2018, 05:42 PM
According to some on here I’m sure he does already.

Dwinsgames
08-26-2018, 10:57 PM
YOu're both right!

And, yes, we have found someone that James can block better than.

he did have a damn nice block yesterday for what it is worth .... stayed on the block a full 3 seconds containing his man away from the play and Samuals gained about 10 yards because of it

Mojouw
08-26-2018, 10:59 PM
he did have a damn nice block yesterday for what it is worth .... stayed on the block a full 3 seconds containing his man away from the play and Samuals gained about 10 yards because of it

He did. I hope he goes to the PS and then pushes Grimble off the roster next year. Or even later this year...

Mojouw
08-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Forgot that Hodges is a converted QB and only has 3 college seasons and one pro season across multiple teams at the position. Maybe there's more there than initial impression

Dwinsgames
08-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Hodges showing again today downfield awareness and outstanding blocks ....

don't sleep on this kid I think he makes the roster and stays he has improved exponentially in terms of blocking and he can make plays in the passing game

43Hitman
08-30-2018, 09:13 PM

don't sleep on this kid I think he makes the roster and stays he has improved exponentially in terms of blocking and he can make plays in the passing game

He was playing on ST's some tonight too. I'm rooting for the kid.

Mojouw
08-30-2018, 09:18 PM

Pushing Grimble off?

Dwinsgames
08-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Pushing Grimble off?

I believe so , thats my call on the final 53 thread I posted today ...

Grimble has not done all that much in a couple years here and he has been hurt and will not be ready to play week 1 ... Hodges has shown enough I think to supplant him

43Hitman
08-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Pushing Grimble off?

I'd be okay with that.

HollywoodSteel
08-30-2018, 09:44 PM
I believe so , thats my call on the final 53 thread I posted today ...

Grimble has not done all that much in a couple years here and he has been hurt and will not be ready to play week 1 ... Hodges has shown enough I think to supplant him

It would be a great story if he turned out to be a real player for us. I certainly have liked what I’ve seen of him so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus you always have to root for a guy named Bucky. It’s a rule. :)