PDA

View Full Version : Ben - Steelers To Run More No Huddle

AtlantaDan
08-22-2018, 03:38 PM
It’s no surprise Ben Roethlisberger loves to run the no-huddle offense and he long has lobbied his coordinators to do so more often, with mixed replies from them. He says the plan under Fichtner will be to take the wraps off. That will put more of the play-calling in the quarterback’s hands.

“For sure,” Rothlisberger said Wednesday, “which makes me study more, meet with Randy more , doing all that stuff, even more than in the past, which is fine. I always did a lot of stuff but if they’re going to put that trust in me then I have to then reward them with the knowledge that I’m going to do the right thing, call the right plays.”

So Ben always studied (uh-huh) but now will study even more, even though he "always did a lot of stuff" :chuckle:

He and Fichtner on Wednesday discussed just what the coordinator will say to the quarterback in his headset leading up to each no-huddle play.

“What do you want to hear?’’ Fichtner asked, via Roethlisberger. “What do you want me to say? Do you want me not to say anything at all? Do you want me to say down and distance?”

Roethlisberger answered, “What I don’t want you to do is to yell out ‘don’t forget about this, don’t forget about the post on this play.’ Human nature, we’re going to look there.

Wonder which prior OC yelled "don't forget about this" to aggravate Ben? :rolleyes:

Link to full article

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/22/Ben-Roethlisberger-Steelers-plan-no-huddle-Randy-Fichtner-Todd-Haley-Bruce-Arians-Le-Veon-Bell/stories/201808220165

Ben is the best QB in Steelers history and better late than never, but AJRII and Tomlin may be wondering, given what he is paid, why Ben did not decide to come to camp in shape and commit to studying more before this season

st33lersguy
08-22-2018, 03:41 PM
they don't run this enough. They always do better out of this

GBMelBlount
08-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Don't they plan on running more no huddle every year?

BlackAndGold
08-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Good.

Start right away with no huddle until the other team stops it. Have the mindset of dropping 20-23 points before half. It's how the Pats play every game. Uptempo offense and keep up the pace until the defense stops it, if they don't, good F'n night.

fansince'76
08-22-2018, 04:58 PM

Yeah, but with Mr. Five-Wide-Empty-Set-With-Goal-to-Go-Inside-the-Five finally gone, now they just might instead of just paying lip service to it.

Roethlisberger answered, “What I don’t want you to do is to yell out ‘don’t forget about this, don’t forget about the post on this play.’ Human nature, we’re going to look there.

Is the bolded portion part of Roethlisberger's comment, or more of the usual editorializing from the Steelers' "Rona Barrett" (Bouchette)? It certainly sounds like the latter.

Mach1
08-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Yep

DesertSteel
08-22-2018, 05:02 PM
^^^ This

FrancoLambert
08-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Anything that will keep the defense off the field is fine with me.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Yep believe it when or if I see it.

saturdaysarebetter
08-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Every year we hear this and every year they never stick with it and follow through with it.

Mojouw
08-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Good.

Start right away with no huddle until the other team stops it. Have the mindset of dropping 20-23 points before half. It's how the Pats play every game. Uptempo offense and keep up the pace until the defense stops it, if they don't, good F'n night.

This a thousand times. The offense is built for it. And it would have the added benefit of taking pressure off the defense because if the Steelers go up 2+ scores early, other team gets made one-dimensional.

No need to worry about ILB play if the other team is forced to abandon the run because of the scoreboard.

EzraTank
08-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Anything that will keep the defense off the field is fine with me.

Then you don't want to run no huddle. With our offense you need slow the game down, run the ball, used the play clock, eat clock and keep the horrible defense off the field. But if you can get up multiple scores it helps but with our defense it's tough to get up by more than 3.

teegre
08-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Then you don't want to run no huddle. With our offense you need slow the game down, run the ball, used the play clock, eat clock and keep the horrible defense off the field. But if you can get up multiple scores it helps but with our defense it's tough to get up by more than 3.

Your logic is sound.

But, from recent experience with the Steelers offense, that translates into: slow, slow, FG. Then, even if the Steelers defense makes a stop every other drive, they’re down 6-14 after four possessions by each team.

As mojoUW said right above you, the better option would be: fast, fast, TD. Then, that puts the onus on the opposing offense to keep pace. And, even if the Steelers defense only makes a stop every third possession, we’d be up 28-21 (after four possessions by each team).

FrancoLambert
08-24-2018, 07:37 AM

I guess you couldn’t see that my tongue was firmly implanted in my cheek. :chuckle:
My point was I’m for anything that keeps this defense off the field.
Fast paced, slow paced...just keep this D on the sidelines.
I’ve seen enough missed tackles and defenders grabbing air. :tt03::tt03:

ALLD
08-24-2018, 01:41 PM
The defense is going to tackle more too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2018, 08:13 PM
-Steelers will run more no huddle
-this is the year a young OLB like Dupree will breakout as a pass rusher
-its the season for Artie Burns to have a big year with INT's
-Ben will take care of the football this season
-the Steelers will unleash hell in December this year

All statements that few Steeler fans have ever heard of before. :sarcasm2:

Steeldude
08-25-2018, 12:01 AM
I will believe when I see it. I doubt they will use it much at all.

hawaiiansteeler
08-25-2018, 12:39 AM
I will believe when I see it. I doubt they will use it much at all.

I disagree, Fichtner is going to be more Ben/QB friendly. I definitely believe we will see more no huddle this season...

Fire Goodell
08-25-2018, 12:45 AM
You figure with all that no huddle talk every year he'd be running that peyton manning offense by now

HollywoodSteel
08-26-2018, 02:01 AM
The whole point of having a great 3 down back like Bell allows you to run the no huddle and not let the other team substitute. This is what makes Bell so valuable; you don’t have to sub him out on a drive.

You catch the defense in a formation you like and then you don’t let them sub. Make the other team make mistakes and burn time outs.

And you don’t have to run Hurry up. You set whatever pace you want.

The Steelers are the ideal team to run it because we’ve got Bell as a weapon to use it well.

Steeldude
08-26-2018, 02:34 AM
I disagree, Fichtner is going to be more Ben/QB friendly. I definitely believe we will see more no huddle this season...

I will wait to see if it's true.