PDA

View Full Version : What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take as a Steelers fan?

saturdaysarebetter
08-22-2018, 12:27 PM
What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take as a Steelers fan?

Super Bowl loss to Dallas?
Super Bowl loss to Green Bay?
AFC CG loss to San Diego?

For me, it's the loss to Oakland in the AFC CG that would have been a chance at a 3-peat and we were without Rocky and Franco.

What was your hardest loss to take?

JnK
08-22-2018, 12:35 PM
1. Definitely the SB loss to Dallas. We were on our way back to winning that game.
2. Every loss to the Patricheats.

Count Steeler
08-22-2018, 01:16 PM
What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take as a Steelers fan?

For me, it's the loss to Oakland in the AFC CG that would have been a chance at a 3-peat and we were without Rocky and Franco.

I can't erase the picture of Harris standing on the sidelines as we lost our chance at a 3 peat. By far the hardest to take.

tube517
08-22-2018, 01:18 PM
1994 AFCC game: Losing to the Bolts and their no name WR and TE. Watching Tim McKyer cry like a little bitch at the end.

Yes the Super Bowl losses were hard but I didn't think they would win so I prepared myself for those.

AtlantaDan
08-22-2018, 01:26 PM

Agreed with the 1976 AFC championship game

Once that team woke up in week 6, with the defense stifling teams and the offense catching up when Bradshaw returned in December, it was peaking with the 40-14 blowout playoff win in Baltimore the week before

At its peak better than the '75 champs from the year before, which IMO is the greatest Steelers team of them all (need to win a championship to be the greatest)

steelreserve
08-22-2018, 01:39 PM
I guess it would be tied between the two Super Bowl losses - we really threw both games away. Was too young to remember any of the '70s stuff and not born for some of it.

Then the catch-rule game against the Patriots last season, although I don't actually consider that a loss; more like a win and a record-keeping error that caused the final records and playoff seedings to be incorrect.

steel striker
08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
For me the Super Bowls against Dallas & Packers should have both of those games and, the 07 Playoff game against the Jags where we were down big early came all the way back to get the lead. Then with a chance to get a first down to seal the game Tomlin/Ariens called a QB draw on 3RD & 6? Still gets me and, last years game against the cheats Jesse James TD catch.

stillers4me
08-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Tim Tebow.

Fire Goodell
08-22-2018, 04:57 PM
First playoff loss to the pats*** after that tuck rule game. Thought we had the best team that year. We outplayed them but still lost because of some shitty special teams play

fansince'76
08-22-2018, 05:23 PM
First playoff loss to the pats*** after that tuck rule game. Thought we had the best team that year. We outplayed them but still lost because of some shitty special teams play

Not to mention Korkie with his patented 3-INT AFCCG performance, including 2 in the last 4 minutes of the game trailing 24-17.

Another SB missed because of Cowher's stubborn refusal to upgrade at QB.

vasteeler
08-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Not to mention Korkie with his patented 3-INT AFCCG performance, including 2 in the last 4 minutes of the game trailing 24-17.

Another SB missed because of Cowher's stubborn refusal to upgrade at QB.

That's the exact one I was going to use. I can still see Romanowski looking at Kordell and slapping his own head. As if to say you freaking idiot... Dang, now I'm pissed off all over again

steelcityboyz
08-22-2018, 06:14 PM
All the losses to the cheats... Damn, I hate them Rat bastards.

ShoeHorn
08-22-2018, 06:58 PM
I tend to lump all of the Cowher home AFCCG losses into one massive gut punch. We could have 2 or 3 more rings. On a side note, can you imagine if that Colts guy had come down with that hail mary in 95?

Dwinsgames
08-22-2018, 07:12 PM
SB vs Packers without question ..My brother in law is a HUGE packer fan and he brings it up every time we see one another

we go to his place and he always asks if I wanna watch his CD of it ....

one of these days I am going to take it and snap it in half and say sure if you think it will still play LOL

FrancoLambert
08-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Losing to Oakland in the 76 AFC championship game, a game we would have never lost with a healthy backfield.
The offense was peaking, the defense was dominating.
The three-peat was there for the taking.

1994 AFC championship game loss at home to the chargers.
Another game we had no business losing.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Last weeks loss to the Packers and that one is going to haunt me for years.

BlackAndGold
08-22-2018, 08:17 PM
I've yet to see a highlight from the Superbowl against GB. The Steelers should've won.

The Mendenhall fumble will always be stuck into my memory.

teegre
08-22-2018, 09:53 PM
The game alone has to be SuperBowl XXX. (see: my comments in the “My most hated Steeler” thread.)

But, living in San Diego, I saw replay after replay after replay of the 1994 AFCCG. Chargers fans have had NOTHING else to brag about, and so, they have talked about that game for decades (literally... decades!!!).

st33lersguy
08-22-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Bowl loss to the Packers, so many missed opportunities and what-ifs in that game, it was unreal. Thanks a lot Fumblehall

Also the Jags loss stings. First of all it represented a missed opportunity. 10 pro bowlers in the weakest either conference had been in over a decade, a conference where there were legitimately 2 above average teams other than the Steelers (one which had a crappy QB, the other a crappy defense). That team should have went to the Super Bowl that year, but instead goes 1 and done because Keith Butler can't run a defense, Todd Haley can't call plays, and Mike Tomlin allows for a toxic culture in a locker room that allows for excessive locker room drama and looking ahead to other opponents. Add to that it led to a lot of crap-talk from a bunch of classless punks and their hick fanbase (90% of which are transplants from the seahag fanbase)

Devilsdancefloor
08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
super bowl 30 hands down

Mojouw
08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Superbowl 30.

Though, we did get the memory of Woodson breaking up a pass and pointing to his knee! That was classic.

Edman
08-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Most gut-wrenching personally was 2004. I loved that team and that season. Of course, it was the fucking Patriots again.

Patriots and Jaguars last year was pretty bad, but at the same time. If the Steelers were really as good as they were last year (and they weren't), they would've clobbered them both. Instead they found a way to lose to the Patriots (again), and were thoroughly outclassed by Jacksonville. Cue long offseason of embarrassment.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Yeah, that blocked FG for a TD was a tough game to watch.

The other for me is the Titans when Joe Nedney got a 2nd chance to kick the game winning FG on a bogus penalty call.

or David Garrard of the Jaguars jogging into the end zone as James Harrison is tackled around the throat and held right in front of the play. Losing playoff games due to mistakes being made on key plays of games is painful.

tube517
08-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Yeah, that blocked FG for a TD was a tough game to watch.

The other for me is the Titans when Joe Nedney got a 2nd chance to kick the game winning FG on a bogus penalty call.

or David Garrard of the Jaguars jogging into the end zone as James Harrison is tackled around the throat and held right in front of the play. Losing playoff games due to mistakes being made on key plays of games is painful.

Another game I have blacked out of my memory.

Steeldude
08-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Every post-season loss with Kordell as the QB.

Edit: I wouldn't say gut wrenching. I fully expected the Steelers to lose with Kordell as the QB.

Devil's D
08-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Dallas Super Bowl for sure. It had been such a long time, and that Defense deserved a ring!

However, a fairly meaningless game in 2001 at Cincinnati is the worst loss for which I was in attendance. Cowher blows a 13pt lead in the 4th to John Kitna?

Moose
08-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Just about everything mentioned brought back some real bad tastes.... but one that still stings bad is being TEBOW'd without a doubt.

fansince'76
08-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Most gut-wrenching personally was 2004. I loved that team and that season.

What I remember most vividly from that one was Plexiglass' postgame pout fest in the locker room about "not gettin' enough touches" after alligator-arming a sure TD pass.

And then to top it off, he dissed the entire city of Pittsburgh as "racist" the following summer after he had left in free agency for the Giants (a claim which Hines Ward even took time out during his own contract holdout to call out as bullshit (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2005/08/30/Steeler-Notebook-Contract-progress-crawls-for-Ward/stories/200508300172)).

Needless to say, I was PISSED when the team re-signed him later. :mad2:

Born2Steel
08-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Last year's "loss" to the Patriots because once again they get the call their way. I don't mind losing fair and square. I cannot stand losing in that way. 14-2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mamaduck43
08-25-2018, 05:44 PM
SB XXX -- just thinking about it makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.....

And...... I live in Green Bay - - - we should have a ring for SB XLIII I still get ragged for that one.... But, I do hold my own pretty well......

Iron Steeler
08-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Tebow. Every Pats loss. Green Bay superbowl.

JACKSONVILLE ..multiple playoff losses.

polamalubeast
09-02-2018, 08:27 PM
The most heartbreaking is the 2004 AFC title games, our 15-1 season.2010 was disappointing, but I can live with that

Other loss are more embarrassing than other things, like losing against the jaguars at home during the same season TWICE(Yes,the Jaguars)!!!! .... 2016 AFC title game and 2011 against Tebow.

The defeat in 2011,2016 and 2017 is frustrating, since our DC has completely lost the game,maybe not 2016 since the pats were better,but 2011 and 2017.....

tom444
09-03-2018, 01:28 AM
The most heartbreaking is the 2004 AFC title games.

Murder he wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frpPt-BZQE

Renegade
09-03-2018, 01:35 AM
Ah. There are many horrible loses i can think of. 2014 had a home flop to the buccs, saints, a road blowout loss to cleveland, and to top it all off a playoff loss at home to the ravens. the superbowl to the packers sucked. the tim tebow loss i didnt mind because i like the poor kid. the 2011 torrey smith touchdown with 8 seconds to go was lame. the 2015 josh scobee (suckbee) meltdown where mike vick and co. blew a 20-7 lead on thursday night over the winless ratbirds from baltosuck. or from later on that year, how about the 20-17 road flop in baltimore (that was the first nfl game i ever went to). I think all these are good mentions. the jacksonville 45-42 game was annoying but at the same time, the game was so entertaining and the steelers played so well for big stretches on offense. ben with the lateral, the deep catches on 4th down by bryant brown and bell... that game was so much fun it actually felt like they won!

I think the angriest i ever felt was the loss to the pats this year on that jesse james touchdown.