PDA

View Full Version : Eli Rogers suspended for first game of season

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Steelers' Eli Rogers suspended for first game of season

By Herbie Teope
Around The NFL Writer
Published: Aug. 21, 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers are without wide receiver Eli Rogers for the regular-season opener.

Rogers has been suspended one game without pay for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse, a league spokesperson announced Tuesday.

"We are disappointed that Eli Rogers has been suspended for Week 1 of the regular season as part of the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement. "The suspension will begin following the final roster cut down on Sept. 1."

to read rest of article:

Rhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000950013/article/steelers-eli-rogers-suspended-for-first-game-of-season

AtlantaDan
08-21-2018, 09:54 PM
DWI?

One game does not fit the usual progressive suspension track for marijuana

Rogers continues to have issues like this that may relate to him underperforming expectations

Dwinsgames
08-21-2018, 10:05 PM
likely on the outside looking in at this point ....

recovering from injury , on the pup , can't contribute yet , now susp even if just 1 game ...

young guys in the meantime are showing up and balling out ....

Mojouw
08-21-2018, 10:07 PM
likely on the outside looking in at this point ....

recovering from injury , on the pup , can't contribute yet , now susp even if just 1 game ...

young guys in the meantime are showing up and balling out ....

Suspension overlaps the pup. So basically no change to Rogers available by date. Keep him on the pup and then cut him later if he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
08-22-2018, 07:30 AM
Suspension overlaps the pup. So basically no change to Rogers available by date. Keep him on the pup and then cut him later if he sucks.

:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
08-22-2018, 08:39 AM

true he wont count against the 53 while on pup so its free insurance vs injury

Moose
08-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Cut him !

steelreserve
08-22-2018, 11:39 AM

The guy tore his ACL 6 months ago. He's not going to be playing this season. I don't know what we're doing with him still on the roster at this point besides fooling ourselves.

Born2Steel
08-26-2018, 11:29 PM
If you want loyalty from players(Bell), but want to cut players for being injured(Rogers), you may be a Patriots fan.

steelreserve
08-27-2018, 10:53 AM
If you want loyalty from players(Bell), but want to cut players for being injured(Rogers), you may be a Patriots fan.

Rogers' contract expired, he tried out with other teams and they didn't want him because he was injured, we offered him a low-risk "what the hell" deal in case he was ready this season, and he wasn't. Not really the same thing as "cutting a player for being injured."

He is essentially a free agent who we were the only ones willing to give a camp invite. Why would you sign a free agent who is not going to be able to play that season?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Rogers' contract expired, he tried out with other teams and they didn't want him because he was injured, we offered him a low-risk "what the hell" deal in case he was ready this season, and he wasn't. Not really the same thing as "cutting a player for being injured."

He is essentially a free agent who we were the only ones willing to give a camp invite. Why would you sign a free agent who is not going to be able to play that season?

So true, he visited the Browns and Chiefs in the offseason and left those places without contract offers, so the Steelers sign him and he isn't even able to practice yet. Don't know that any kind of "loyalty" from the Steelers should be in question if he doesn't make the 53.

One important ability of players is avail-ability......if you aren't available to play, then somebody that is healthy and not suspended definitely has a better chance of making the team.

Born2Steel
08-27-2018, 03:20 PM

True. However that is not how the post I responded to was phrased. (He tore his ACL, won't play this season, why are we keeping him...). That was what I responded to. I understand the contract AND how players make the 53. Two different conversations.

Mojouw
08-27-2018, 03:38 PM
So true, he visited the Browns and Chiefs in the offseason and left those places without contract offers, so the Steelers sign him and he isn't even able to practice yet. Don't know that any kind of "loyalty" from the Steelers should be in question if he doesn't make the 53.

One important ability of players is avail-ability......if you aren't available to play, then somebody that is healthy and not suspended definitely has a better chance of making the team.

True. However that is not how the post I responded to was phrased. (He tore his ACL, won't play this season, why are we keeping him...). That was what I responded to. I understand the contract AND how players make the 53. Two different conversations.

This all fits with a long history the team has on dealing with guys who get injured. If the team can find a way to keep them under contract during their rehab without an onerous penalty to the team or roster #'s - they almost always do it.

Kinda figured that is where they are at with Rogers. Ok, you saw what your market was. Here is our best offer. Take it and you can rehab with the team and we can see where you do or do not fit in when your body gets right. Also, you don't have to do your rehab on your own.

Born2Steel
08-27-2018, 03:46 PM
This all fits with a long history the team has on dealing with guys who get injured. If the team can find a way to keep them under contract during their rehab without an onerous penalty to the team or roster #'s - they almost always do it.

Kinda figured that is where they are at with Rogers. Ok, you saw what your market was. Here is our best offer. Take it and you can rehab with the team and we can see where you do or do not fit in when your body gets right. Also, you don't have to do your rehab on your own.

And I understand the team knows Rogers and what he brings to the table. Not really a trial thing with him. All I was responding to was the thinking that since he won't play, due to football injury, just cut him. That is not the Steelers way. I could see them letting Hawkins go and placing Rogers on IR first. Hawkins has never really contributed whereas Rogers has paid his 'dues'. Even though Rogers is technically a FA he still gets some measure of loyalty above 'sorry about your luck' from the Steelers. IMO.

steelreserve
08-27-2018, 03:51 PM

I don't know, even a league-minimum deal is nothing to sneeze at in terms of cap space when you're in our situation. I have a hard time imagining they would re-sign someone to a new contract with the intention of sending him right to the injured list and just eating the dough.

A one-year contract, too. Unless we were hoping he was ready sooner rather than later, I just don't see that as a move that makes any sense. My guess is if there's no chance of him being ready for the start of the season, they just take a mulligan and let him go, and call him up in midseason if they need another guy.

Again, I do not think this is "cutting a guy for being injured." More like giving a free agent a chance to make the team, and injury prevented him from doing that, and everyone knew that was likely, but at least we gave him a shot. There is no obligation to eat a million bucks in cap space over giving a guy a camp tryout, which in itself was a pretty nice gesture if you ask me.