PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

hawaiiansteeler
08-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Landry Jones continues to heat up Steelers' QB battle

By BRYAN DEARDO

Landry Jones isn't making Pittsburgh's decisions at backup quarterback any easier. On Sunday, Jones completed four of his five pass attempts that included a touchdown pass in one of the Steelers' two-minute drills during the team's practice from Heinz Field. By all accounts, Jones has enjoyed a very solid summer of practices while possibly having the best offseason of his six-year career. While he didn't play in last Thursday's preseason loss to the Packers, Jones completed all four of attempts for 83 yards that included a 71-yard touchdown pass to JuJu Smith-Schuster in the team's preseason opener in Philadelphia.

The 29-year-old Jones has an unknown future in Pittsburgh. While he is signed through the 2019 season, Steelers' GM Kevin Colbert has already said that the team won't keep four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. With Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph's place on the 53-man roster secure, the third and final spot will come down to Jones or second year quarterback Josh Dobbs, who completed 12-of-18 passes for 192 yards with two touchdowns and an interception last Thursday night while playing the entire second half.

Jones, who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting quarterback that includes victories in his last two starts, said that the team's confidence in his ability has given him the confidence to play and to play well whenever he enters the lineup

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Landry-Jones-continues-to-heat-up-Pittsburgh-Steelers-QB-battle-120846378/

ALLD
08-20-2018, 03:40 PM
The Steelers will keep the cheaper contract.

hawaiiansteeler
08-20-2018, 03:41 PM
The Steelers will keep the cheaper contract.

I think the Steelers will keep the guy who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting QB...

GoSlash27
08-20-2018, 04:33 PM
I think the Steelers will keep the guy who is 3-2 as Pittsburgh's starting QB...

And more importantly, the established and trusted backup QB.

Best,
-Slashy

BlackAndGold
08-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Jones has had the #2 QB spot locked down even before camp. Was always going to take amazing showing from either Dobbs or Rudolph.

I honestly won't be shocked if Jones spends the rest of his career in Pittsburgh.

Edman
08-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Jones has had the #2 QB spot locked down even before camp. Was always going to take amazing showing from either Dobbs or Rudolph.

I honestly won't be shocked if Jones spends the rest of his career in Pittsburgh.

And now, the elephant in the room: Landry Jones was clipboarded Thursday. He wasn't even injured. The Steelers decided to put two young QB's up against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' Starting D over the "established and trusted backup QB" who had the "#2 spot locked down". Two preseasons in a row where Landry was benched for a new QB.

Landry's spot was secure last season because Dobbs was a rookie and there was no one else worthwhile on the depth chart. Bart Houston was a camp body at best. This time around, the Steelers have two young QB's they drafted, and Ben is a year older.

The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game. At least Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkowski and even Dennis Dixon and even Bart Houston had some time in Preseason games, when they were clearly backups.

Something tells me the Steelers have seen enough of Landry, have already seen the best of what he has to offer and are quietly pushing him out the door. With Ben pushing the high 30's and is one drama tantrum away from threatening retirement, they can't afford to keep wasting their time with a guy who is clearly wants to be and is satisfied being a backup. The next guy needs to be up and running, or else we'll be staring at another 25 years of journeymen.

Butch
08-20-2018, 09:36 PM
And now, the elephant in the room: Landry Jones was clipboarded Thursday. He wasn't even injured. The Steelers decided to put two young QB's up against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' Starting D over the "established and trusted backup QB" who had the "#2 spot locked down". Two preseasons in a row where Landry was benched for a new QB.

Landry's spot was secure last season because Dobbs was a rookie and there was no one else worthwhile on the depth chart. Bart Houston was a camp body at best. This time around, the Steelers have two young QB's they drafted, and Ben is a year older.

The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game. At least Charlie Batch, Bruce Gradkowski and even Dennis Dixon and even Bart Houston had some time in Preseason games, when they were clearly backups.

Something tells me the Steelers have seen enough of Landry, have already seen the best of what he has to offer and are quietly pushing him out the door. With Ben pushing the high 30's and is one drama tantrum away from threatening retirement, they can't afford to keep wasting their time with a guy who is clearly wants to be and is satisfied being a backup. The next guy needs to be up and running, or else we'll be staring at another 25 years of journeymen.
I guess you see something i don't. Just because they let the young guys plays doesn't mean much to me. To me it means they wanted to see what they have in Rudolph and Dobbs and measure that against what they know of Jones. IMHO Dobbs didn't impress me all that much. His 1st pass was a pick - 6 and both his TD passes were highly contested. If anything he showed us more of what we have in Washington than what we have in Dobbs. Don't get me wrong here not all that impressed with Jones either but I believe it will take Dobbs doing something to stand out to replace him. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

GoSlash27
08-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Edman,

The fact that Landry was a healthy scratch last Thursday says to me that maybe his spot isn't as secure as we thought. Rudolph and Dobbs played the entire game.

They didn't play Ben either. Does that mean his spot is in jeopardy as well? I wouldn't try to read too much into who played and who didn't. All playing meant was they were being evaluated. All sitting meant was that they didn't require any further evaluation.

Best,
-Slashy

Count Steeler
08-21-2018, 06:32 AM
It would be nice to get a decent draft pick for whichever QB they decide to trade. Pure PR piece to see if there are any takers around the league for Jones?

86WARD
08-21-2018, 06:47 AM
They are getting Dobbs on tape so they can trade him. Jones was holding a clipboard because they know what he can’t do and he’s probably got the job locked up.

GBMelBlount
08-21-2018, 09:53 AM
I guess you see something i don't. Just because they let the young guys plays doesn't mean much to me. To me it means they wanted to see what they have in Rudolph and Dobbs and measure that against what they know of Jones. IMHO Dobbs didn't impress me all that much. His 1st pass was a pick - 6 and both his TD passes were highly contested. If anything he showed us more of what we have in Washington than what we have in Dobbs. Don't get me wrong here not all that impressed with Jones either but I believe it will take Dobbs doing something to stand out to replace him. Just my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

My thoughts exactly.

Cyphon25
08-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Unless there is a trade offer (and even then it isn't a guarantee) Jones is a lock on this roster. There was never even really a question of that even when Rudolph was drafted. It was just a conversation of if Rudolph would play well enough to take the 2 spot and he hasn't to this point. On a team with SB hopes you don't get rid of a backup with playing time and replace him with 2 projects. They would have to be offered like a 6th or maybe even 5th to give up Jones. Not sure they would do it for a 7th.

Steeldude
08-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Dobbs is gone.

Moose
08-21-2018, 12:22 PM
It's going to boil down to who can put the MOST points on the board with our WRs and RBs. Who can lead the offense to score 60+ points on the board......because we all know that our pathetic defense and secondary can give up 50+ points.

86WARD
08-22-2018, 06:37 AM
It's going to boil down to who can put the MOST points on the board with our WRs and RBs. Who can lead the offense to score 60+ points on the board......because we all know that our pathetic defense and secondary can give up 50+ points.

That defense, at the rate it’s looking, is going to be giving up 75+ points...this defense is looking like a throwback to the 80s...only worse...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-26-2018, 08:58 PM
He seemed to move the offense decently on the limited time that he had this last game. Hunter showed sketchy hands giving up the INT. I think he has a pretty good lock on a roster spot.

DesertSteel
08-26-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm happy that Jones will be #2 again this year. He's the best man on the roster for the job. It's no even close. He's not the heir apparent, but the backup. The only backups that are loved are the ones that fans think are the heir apparent. Fans are always looking to get rid of those guys who just backup. The NFL guys are smart enough to know they need one, even if fans aren't.

Mojouw
08-26-2018, 10:58 PM
I'm happy that Jones will be #2 again this year. He's the best man on the roster for the job. It's no even close. He's not the heir apparent, but the backup. The only backups that are loved are the ones that fans think are the heir apparent. Fans are always looking to get rid of those guys who just backup. The NFL guys are smart enough to know they need one, even if fans aren't.

Good points.

I guess it is a good problem to have 4 reasonable options for 4 spots.

Depth across the roster seems improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
08-26-2018, 11:16 PM
If Ben misses extended time, they are screwed regardless of who is the backup so might as well go with young guys who have shown flashes and have potential to improve over the 6th year guy who has shown little entering his 6th year outside of beating the Browns at home (something that a monkey throwing feces could do)

Dwinsgames
08-26-2018, 11:25 PM
I read something from someone yesterday ( wish I had bookmarked it ) with the logic of Dobbs getting an extended look in the final game MIGHT be the Steelers wanting to see if he can lead the team to victory and seal his fate as the backup if he shows well ....

I am not sure I buy it , but it could be possible I suppose ..

I would hope they rule nothing out I mean if he starts and goes 22-31 -275yards an a couple scores would give him a qb rating for the preseason of over 120 ... would be mighty hard to ignore it I would think ...

DesertSteel
08-27-2018, 12:04 AM
If Ben misses extended time, they are screwed regardless of who is the backup so might as well go with young guys who have shown flashes and have potential to improve over the 6th year guy who has shown little entering his 6th year outside of beating the Browns at home (something that a monkey throwing feces could do)
How extended? 6 games and I think we have a shot, even if they go 2-4. 9-7 might win the AFCN.

- - - Updated - - -

I read something from someone yesterday ( wish I had bookmarked it ) with the logic of Dobbs getting an extended look in the final game MIGHT be the Steelers wanting to see if he can lead the team to victory and seal his fate as the backup if he shows well ....

I am not sure I buy it , but it could be possible I suppose ..

I would hope they rule nothing out I mean if he starts and goes 22-31 -275yards an a couple scores would give him a qb rating for the preseason of over 120 ... would be mighty hard to ignore it I would think ...
Likely playing him most of the game in hopes that he gets hurt and they can stash him on IR...

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-27-2018, 03:18 AM
Landry look like crap both games he was in so far. Dobbs far outplayed him this preseason and also the bad snap was on Landry and bounced of both his hands. Landry is like DHB great people and the Steelers keep them around over younger more talented because of that alone! Steelers need to wake up and cut ties with both holding this team back.

DesertSteel
08-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Landry sucks.... to the tune of 3-2

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Yeah, should have been 5-0. He's holding the team back, like most backup QB's in the NFL do.

86WARD
08-27-2018, 12:07 PM

But you can’t. You have to prepare for both short and extended period. So if it’s short, you play Landry. If it’s long, you play Rudolph. No need for Dobbs.

st33lersguy
08-27-2018, 07:09 PM
But you can’t. You have to prepare for both short and extended period. So if it’s short, you play Landry. If it’s long, you play Rudolph. No need for Dobbs.

Maybe play Landry if you need to beat the Browns at home, other than that why not give a young guy experience. Won't be much worse than what Landry has shown

- - - Updated - - -

Beat the worst team in NFL history over a two year stretch at home, and threw a couple of short passes that the receivers turned into long games to close out a couple games in relief, yeah this man has shown a lot

DesertSteel
08-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Do Ben’s wins against the Browns count? Is it just Jones’ that don’t? Lol.

GoSlash27
08-27-2018, 07:44 PM
We're still arguing about this?? Sheesh... we'll find out in 4 days.

*EDIT* Also, I wouldn't look past the Browns this year. I realize I'm probably alone on this one, but they make me nervous.
Best,
-Slashy

Butch
08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
I get why people want Jones gone, he's a backup and we have had the pleasure of seeing what Ben does so it's a major step down. That being said I have not seen what some here have. What has Dobbs done to take the job away from Jones? This was discussed on another thread about Dobbs but I will state it again. Dobbs 1st pass last week was a pick 6 and both TDs where damn near int's. They were more of a great effort by the WRs than anything Dobbs did. Dobbs is young and may end up being a better QB than Jones but I just don't see it right now.

Maybe if we convert him to WR we can keep him an extra year, but I doubt that will happen.

GoSlash27
08-27-2018, 09:24 PM
Dobbs is young and may end up being a better QB than Jones but I just don't see it right now.

Likewise, Rudolph is young and may end up being a better QB than Dobbs but I just don't see it right now. All of the arguments that support Dobbs over Jones are the same arguments that support Rudolph over Dobbs. So where does that leave Dobbs? On the outside looking in, I suspect. There is a spot on the roster for a backup and there's a spot on the roster for a development QB. There isn't a spot for a QB who is not clearly one or the other.
It's all perception and not fair, and IMO Dobbs has played well in the preseason... but I think he's still the odd man out and won't get a jersey.

Could be wrong tho'
-Slashy

pczach
08-28-2018, 05:50 AM
I get why people want Jones gone, he's a backup and we have had the pleasure of seeing what Ben does so it's a major step down. That being said I have not seen what some here have. What has Dobbs done to take the job away from Jones? This was discussed on another thread about Dobbs but I will state it again. Dobbs 1st pass last week was a pick 6 and both TDs where damn near int's. They were more of a great effort by the WRs than anything Dobbs did. Dobbs is young and may end up being a better QB than Jones but I just don't see it right now.

Maybe if we convert him to WR we can keep him an extra year, but I doubt that will happen.

Some of us don't want Jones gone because we don't think he has done a good job. I think he has done a good job as a backup. I just think Dobbs has a chance to be better than him. It's really that simple.

I've already said that I'm not certain which is the correct move to make, so I'm not going to slam the organization for choosing either one of these guys. My preference is Dobbs based on some things I've seen from him and the growth he has shown. I believe he is better at this point of his career than Jones was.

I can only speak for myself, but that's it in a nutshell.

teegre
08-28-2018, 06:22 AM
Some of us don't want Jones gone because we don't think he has done a good job. I think he has done a good job as a backup. I just think Dobbs has a chance to be better than him. It's really that simple.

I've already said that I'm not certain which is the correct move to make, so I'm not going to slam the organization for choosing either one of these guys. My preference is Dobbs based on some things I've seen from him and the growth he has shown. I believe he is better at this point of his career than Jones was.

I can only speak for myself, but that's it in a nutshell.

Yep :nod:

There is sound logic for keeping either player.

Jones gives you the known quantity that can give you a .500 record; whereas, Dobbs could be better, or could be worse. For a team with SuperBowl aspirations, keeping Jones is logical; whereas, long-term, keeping Dobbs is logical (because, he could be better).

SUMMATION:
There is not really a “wrong” answer.

DesertSteel
08-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Fowler is predicting that the Steelers keep all 4 QBs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28488/pittsburgh-steelers-53-man-roster-projection-final-cuts-2018

Dwinsgames
08-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Fowler is predicting that the Steelers keep all 4 QBs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28488/pittsburgh-steelers-53-man-roster-projection-final-cuts-2018

steelerswire is too , their logic is to give them time to facilitate a trade

DesertSteel
08-28-2018, 08:54 PM
steelerswire is too , their logic is to give them time to facilitate a trade
I.e., another team's QB gets hurt...

86WARD
08-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Saints just traded for Bridgewater. Clearly a better option than Landry but shows the Saints were in the market for a backup...there’s got to be another team out there that would take a Dobbs type player for something cheap.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Saints just traded for Bridgewater. Clearly a better option than Landry but shows the Saints were in the market for a backup...there’s got to be another team out there that would take a Dobbs type player for something cheap.

Yeah, but if Seattle just traded a 6th rounder for Brett Hunley, then the market for Dobbs is a 7th round pick or trade him to Montreal for 12 Labatts blue.

Craic
08-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Yep :nod:

There is sound logic for keeping either player.

Jones gives you the known quantity that can give you a .500 record; whereas, Dobbs could be better, or could be worse. For a team with SuperBowl aspirations, keeping Jones is logical; whereas, long-term, keeping Dobbs is logical (because, he could be better).

SUMMATION For Steelers Fans:
There is not really a “right” answer.

FIFY!

:chuckle:

pczach
08-29-2018, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but if Seattle just traded a 6th rounder for Brett Hunley, then the market for Dobbs is a 7th round pick or trade him to Montreal for 12 Labatts blue.

Not necessarily. If someone sees more upside in Dobbs, who's to say he can't bring more than that?

Hundley completed slightly less than 60% if his passes and has 9 TDs and 13 INT for his career. Career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

There is a clearer picture of what Hundley is than Dobbs at this point....but that could be a good thing to a team looking for upside.

I guess we'll see how this plays out soon enough.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 03:24 PM
as suggested elsewhere ... let bell sign the tag , ship bell and Dobbs to Chucky in Raider land and try and work a long term deal out with Mack once he gets to pittsburgh ...

cubanstogie
08-29-2018, 04:40 PM
I just read Jeremy Fowler on espn saying Dobbs and Jones have garnered league wide interest. Should be interesting week.

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Not necessarily. If someone sees more upside in Dobbs, who's to say he can't bring more than that?

Hundley completed slightly less than 60% if his passes and has 9 TDs and 13 INT for his career. Career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HundBr00.htm

There is a clearer picture of what Hundley is than Dobbs at this point....but that could be a good thing to a team looking for upside.

I guess we'll see how this plays out soon enough.
But Hundley has started several games and Dobbs never taken a single snap.

Dwinsgames
08-29-2018, 06:41 PM

True ... but he wasnt very good at it so there is that

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-29-2018, 06:48 PM
I look at this way if Ben goes down and will be out many games we know for sure with Landry the season is over. With Dobbs as the back up I couldn't say that for sure. Not to mention we haven't seen Dobbs get a chance to play with Bell and AB.

DesertSteel
08-29-2018, 06:58 PM
True ... but he wasnt very good at it so there is that
Unless he was playing the Steelers defense.

pczach
08-29-2018, 07:32 PM

I know. That's why I said there is a clearer picture of Hundley.

He's 3-6 as a starter. His completion percentage is under 60% in a short passing game offense. He averages only 5.7 yards per attempt.

Teams fall in love with what they don't know sometimes. That's why teams go crazy for quarterbacks in the draft, and sometimes lose their minds when young QBs play well in limited duty and offer insane compensation with a very limited body of work. If Dobbs plays well in this last game, that is what will be sticking in the minds of organizations looking for a young quarterback to turn into a very good quarterback.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm simply saying that you never know.