PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Defense

Edman
08-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Let's rewind one year ago to the second preseason game of 2017 against the Atlanta Falcons, and it looks like the same thing we seen all through 2017 and eerily similar to the Packers game Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwFBeonofMs

Matt Ryan and then Falcons backup no-name rips apart the Defense in the exact same spots. Easy shots down the middle, and more bad tackling on outside passes to the backs and receivers.

It was only preseason we all thought then. Little did we know it was a sign of things to come in '17, and we don't need to mention anymore how it ended.

Thoughts?

st33lersguy
08-17-2018, 07:58 PM
I'd talk about the preseason defense, but there is no defense to talk about

hawaiiansteeler
08-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Butler just isn't showing his cards :poker:

Dwinsgames
08-17-2018, 09:36 PM
I'd talk about the preseason defense, but there is no defense to talk about

summed up in a nice tidy package

Dwinsgames
08-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Steelers ran a new revised edition of cover zero last night ... this new version covers nobody and blitz's nobody ( to soon ? )

Mach1
08-17-2018, 09:44 PM
It's in mid season form.

Edman
08-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Its amazing that Butler still hasn't found a way to defend the intermediate middle pass.

DesertSteel
08-17-2018, 11:37 PM
It was only preseason we all thought then. Little did we know it was a sign of things to come in '17, and we don't need to mention anymore how it ended.

Thoughts?There was nothing wrong with 13-3...... but it did end terribly. That said, Butler is not the guy. He's in over his head.

Born2Steel
08-18-2018, 12:24 AM
Remember....It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

Dwinsgames
08-18-2018, 08:49 AM
There was nothing wrong with 13-3...... but it did end terribly. That said, Butler is not the guy. He's in over his head.

I said this here before he was named DC .

his slow communication is going to hurt the team ...

what have we seen/heard from players communication issues ...

Butler could be the smartest guy on the sidelines but if it takes him to long to communicate what he wants to do to the players and then they do not have enough time to call it out on the field you end up with a team essentially playing 2 maybe even 3 different defenses during the same play .....

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2018, 10:38 PM
I said this here before he was named DC .

his slow communication is going to hurt the team ...

what have we seen/heard from players communication issues ...

Butler could be the smartest guy on the sidelines but if it takes him to long to communicate what he wants to do to the players and then they do not have enough time to call it out on the field you end up with a team essentially playing 2 maybe even 3 different defenses during the same play .....

He needs to have every play drawn up on index cards so he just has to point to the play he wants, and have someone else say the words into the headset.

Neversatisfied
08-19-2018, 01:37 AM
I recall after a week after the Steelers season ended it was revealed that Tomlin had been making defensive play calls. The blame lies at more than one coaches feet but it doesn't change the fact we've seen this before, a front seven that cant successfully get to the passer, a very porous run defense and a secondary that has fans holding their breath every time a QB drops back to pass (and that includes no name QBs as well). Confidence isn't exactly oozing from the pores of this defense but swagger is and that particularly irritating considering the glaring fundamental mistakes this team makes on a weekly basis and worst of all none of these issues have been resolved over the last 5-6 seasons.

Steeldude
08-19-2018, 02:28 AM
I recall after a week after the Steelers season ended it was revealed that Tomlin had been making defensive play calls. The blame lies at more than one coaches feet but it doesn't change the fact we've seen this before, a front seven that cant successfully get to the passer, a very porous run defense and a secondary that has fans holding their breath every time a QB drops back to pass (and that includes no name QBs as well). Confidence isn't exactly oozing from the pores of this defense but swagger is and that particularly irritating considering the glaring fundamental mistakes this team makes on a weekly basis and worst of all none of these issues have been resolved over the last 5-6 seasons.

Correct. No matter how poorly they perform they are always up for dancing and pretending to be great.

FrancoLambert
08-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Correct. No matter how poorly they perform they are always up for dancing and pretending to be great.

Yep, I saw several new and really cool hand slap displays after making a routine play. Chest Bump
Despite it being preseason, when you're getting your collective ass handed to you, act like it bothers you. :mad2:

BlackAndGold
08-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Hopefully we get to see Cam/Watt/Haden/Davis on defense in the next game.

HollywoodSteel
08-20-2018, 03:06 AM
You can blame Butler all you want for last season... but in the PRESEASON he isn’t game planning to win; he’s calling plays to evaluate players in different situations.

For the preseason, all gameplanning criticisms are out the window.