PDA

View Full Version : Winner of the Night (Preseason #2)

DesertSteel
08-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Landry Jones.

stillers4me
08-17-2018, 05:41 AM
The replies to this tweet are pretty funny....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

LeVeon Bell vs James Conner. If I were basing my preference on attitude alone, there's not a doubt in my mind. What a difference.

AtlantaDan
08-17-2018, 06:39 AM
LeVeon Bell vs James Conner. If I were basing my preference on attitude alone, there's not a doubt in my mind. What a difference.

The hottest of hot takes on Conner's night from Mike Florio at PFT (IMO the worst NFL national writer/commentator)

With Conner making $578,000 for the year and with Bell due to make more than $855,000 per week, the Steelers have to at least be wondering about the wisdom of stripping the franchise tag from Bell and redirecting his $14.54 million franchise-tag salary elsewhere. With Bell in the final months of his tenure with the team anyway, and given the potential tension between the Steelers trying to get the most out of Bell and Bell trying to keep himself healthy for free agency (especially late in the regular season, as Bell’s payday creeps closer and closer), it could make sense to go their separate ways now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/16/james-conner-gives-the-steelers-a-glimpse-of-the-future/

Neversatisfied
08-17-2018, 07:39 AM
James Conner. The way he conducts himself is impressive just from a Human aspect let alone a professional athlete, the guy just appreciates everything and it shows. I'm rooting for the guy to exceed all expectations! Take notes Bell!

Cyphon25
08-17-2018, 07:54 AM
I think Conner looks great as a runner but we need to see more in passpro and catching out of the backfield before we have any foolish talk of pulling Bells tag.

Interestingly enough I think you could make a strong argument that Toussaint is the 2nd best all-around back behind Bell. Good runner and a good pass blocker. Not sure how he is catching out of the backfield though. Conner is a better runner than Toussaint but not as good in passpro.

Dwinsgames
08-17-2018, 09:56 AM
The hottest of hot takes on Conner's night from Mike Florio at PFT (IMO the worst NFL national writer/commentator)

With Conner making $578,000 for the year and with Bell due to make more than $855,000 per week, the Steelers have to at least be wondering about the wisdom of stripping the franchise tag from Bell and redirecting his $14.54 million franchise-tag salary elsewhere. With Bell in the final months of his tenure with the team anyway, and given the potential tension between the Steelers trying to get the most out of Bell and Bell trying to keep himself healthy for free agency (especially late in the regular season, as Bell’s payday creeps closer and closer), it could make sense to go their separate ways now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/16/james-conner-gives-the-steelers-a-glimpse-of-the-future/

if only they could somehow get Bell to sign that tag and then ship him to the Raiders for Mack ....

Move TJ inside with VW our def becomes much improved ..

I would rather sign Mack Long term anyways esp with Connor showing so well

Born2Steel
08-17-2018, 10:10 AM
if only they could somehow get Bell to sign that tag and then ship him to the Raiders for Mack ....

Move TJ inside with VW our def becomes much improved ..

I would rather sign Mack Long term anyways esp with Connor showing so well

I thought Dupree had a fairly decent game against the backups. He lined up at ILB on a few plays and rushed from the middle. He's athletic enough to move around as well. Watt, VW, Dupree, Thomas, and Chick have all lined up at ILB and OLB with some measure of success doing both.

Burnett had a great scrimmage.

Moose
08-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Conner....without a doubt.

hawaiiansteeler
08-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Conner....without a doubt.

and James Washington also...

DesertSteel
08-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Washington is gonna be great me thinks.

Dwinsgames
08-17-2018, 09:35 PM

you're not alone in that thought ...

if preseason is any indication of how good he can become this kid might be a RoTY candidate

Born2Steel
08-18-2018, 12:31 AM
Saints had a draft with OROY= Kamara and DROY = Latimore. Steelers draft needs to produce OROY = Washington and DROY = Edmunds.

All I want for Christmas is...THIS.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Some may have thought he would be a considerable upgrade over Bryant. But, what were they thinking?

- - - Updated - - -

Some may have thought he would be a considerable upgrade over Bryant. But, what were they thinking?

GoSlash27
08-18-2018, 11:50 AM
I agree with DesertSteel; Landry Jones was the big winner. Washington and Conner also did well. I don't expect Lev Bell's stock to drop much, despite the price tag and drama. He's too much of a weapon in the passing game.
Damon Patterson was mainly absent, which doesn't bode well for him.

*EDIT* Total aside: I didn't appreciate JuJu's "Lambeau Leap". I'm old school that way. Never disrespect Cowgirl in Dallas, a Terrible Towel in Pittsburgh, or the Lambeau Leap in Green Bay.
Best,
-Slashy

BlackAndGold
08-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Saints had a draft with OROY= Kamara and DROY = Latimore. Steelers draft needs to produce OROY = Washington and DROY = Edmunds.

All of us want that but Edmunds got some work to do. Lattimore was a flat out stud during his time at OSU. Should've went even higher than #11th overall but hamstring worries made him fall a couple of spots.

Washington just adds another piece to this offense. We should be in for another treat this season offensively. This should no doubt be the best offense in the team's history, and could break some records.

Just sucks knowing that it's likely the defense ruins this for all of us at the end.

DesertSteel
08-18-2018, 12:59 PM

What's your grade on Edmunds after 2 ps games?

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Okay, can we put down Conner’s gold jacket for a moment.

Conner vs. Bell? Are you kidding me? It’s not even CLOSE.

I understand your frustrations with OFF-SEASON Bell. I’m frustrated too. But attitude on the field? Are you kidding me?

The game that pops into my mind first and foremost is that game where it turned out Blount wasn’t in the stadium to relieve him. They fed it to Bell over and over, and he fought and clawed his way to first down after first down after first down... and that was in the 4th quarter against a full starting defense who KNEW we were going to keep running it. And that team had a chance to win the (regular season) game if only they could stop him. They couldn’t. No one could stop him.

You want to criticize his negotiating or his tweeting or his rapping? Have at it. But his attitude and commitment and sheer will on the FIELD? I don’t care if Conner got 300 yards in one preseason game against a team who were not specifically game planning to effectively stop him... I’ll take Bell on the football field, catching, blocking and RUSHING 100 times out of 100 times.

You want to talk will? Bell doesn’t break his year round diet or workout routine EVER. He is an inspiration on the field and in the locker room according to his teammates.

One missed block at the wrong time could lead to a hit on Ben that ends our season. And no RB on our roster or any other can protect Ben better than Bell. Every single one of you knows that to be true.

Even if you are talking pure will and attitude, you are being TOTALLY blinded by your annoyance with Bell this off-season. I PROMISE you that you are. When has Bell EVER given less than TOTAL commitment on the field? Bell has ZERO attitude problem as a football player. None. He gives 100% ALL the time.

And Bell’s 100% is objectively BETTER than Conner’s 100% in every aspect of being a RB in the NFL.

If you think Bell isn’t worth the money, that is a totally valid opinion.

But question his attitude or performance on the field? Just stop. You don’t really mean it. Trust me.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I’m misinterpreting some of you as answering the question someone asked about Conner vs. Bell.

If you were simply answering the “winner of the night” question, I apologize.

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2018, 04:56 PM
*EDIT* Total aside: I didn't appreciate JuJu's "Lambeau Leap". I'm old school that way. Never disrespect Cowgirl in Dallas, a Terrible Towel in Pittsburgh, or the Lambeau Leap in Green Bay.
Best,
-Slashy

That’s an interesting take that I think I agree with, but didn’t occur to me in the moment. Probably mostly because it was Ju-Ju, and he’s such a happy and nice kid, I don’t think disrespect occurred to him. And he jumped to a female Steelers fan who now had a fun night, despite the score. Also the Packers fans in the area were even smiling and being good sports about it. I’m sure some fans in the stadium took offense, but none on camera.

While I’m with you in hindsight, to me it’s different than going to the star in Dallas or wiping your shoe with the towel. Those have the clear purpose of disrespect. Other opponents have made Lambeau leaps before to their own fans in the area calling to them. I’m pretty sure that’s what Ju-Ju was doing. He at least made someone’s night. And everything with Ju-Ju is all in good fun.

But I totally see your side of things on principle.

Butch
08-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Washington and Conner both had great games.

GoSlash27
08-19-2018, 07:31 AM
Hollywood,
I also totally see your point, and I can't really be mad at JuJu. He didn't do it to be a jagoff, he was just having fun.

Best,
-Slashy

Born2Steel
08-19-2018, 08:31 AM
What's your grade on Edmunds after 2 ps games?

I don't know what I should grade him on. Just pick any rookie defender and replace with his name if Edmunds isn't the one.