PDA

View Full Version : Big Dan

RunNGun
08-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Is he the new #1 nose? I saw he got the nod over Hargrave. Or, could they be letting him audtion for other teams, much like they're doing with Coty? < IMO

Mojouw
08-16-2018, 09:56 PM
I think he got a run with the first string to see what he now brings to the table. In my opinion Big Mac made the 53 tonight.

RunNGun
08-16-2018, 10:02 PM
It makes you wonder if they're changing the scheme up a bit without Shazier. Having more of a space eater like Dan would make sense to give Bostic and Vince a little more freedom. Shazier didn't really need that with his freakish athleticism. But overall, Big Dan looked alright tonight.

Cyphon25
08-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Big Dan looked great tonight. I dunno about him starting over Hargrave but I think they should be having a conversation. He just flat out dominates at times.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Big Dan looked great tonight. I dunno about him starting over Hargrave but I think they should be having a conversation. He just flat out dominates at times.

Hargrave looks more like an End than a Nose ... he came into camp slimmed down ...

Maybe Dan plays early downs at Nose and Hargrave comes in in subpackage football now with his size/speed ratio ?

teegre
08-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Hargrave has been very good. Look at the Eagles game where Matakevich gets juked by the RB. Hargrave basically kills the play, and a half-decent ILB makes the tackle for a loss. (Note: the OLB also could have made the tackle, but he was just standing there watching the play unfold.)

IMO, they’re trying to see what they have in Dan, because they already know that Hargrave is very good.

Cyphon25
08-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Hargrave has been very good. Look at the Eagles game where Matakevich gets juked by the RB. Hargrave basically kills the play, and a half-decent ILB makes the tackle for a loss. (Note: the OLB also could have made the tackle, but he was just standing there watching the play unfold.)

IMO, they’re trying to see what they have in Dan, because they already know that Hargrave is very good.

I don't know if it was a report or just guessing but someone said Hargrave was in the doghouse (or that they thought he was).

I know there is still a long way to go but I believe McCullers has the higher ceiling of the 2 if he stays on this upward trend. What he offers could be pretty significant in the pass defense conversation. He frequently drives centers straight back at the QB and can get that in your face pressure even if he can't finish. On top of that he is huge so impacts vision as well.

teegre
08-17-2018, 09:37 AM
I know there is still a long way to go but I believe McCullers has the higher ceiling of the 2 if he stays on this upward trend. What he offers could be pretty significant in the pass defense conversation. He frequently drives centers straight back at the QB and can get that in your face pressure even if he can't finish. On top of that he is huge so impacts vision as well.

I’d love for Dan to reach his full potential. He’d be a monster.

But, I still think that Hargrave has a higher ceiling. There was an article written about some sort of formula (not PFF, but a site that actually has good analysis) that had Hargrave as the second-best physical specimen at DT in the last 10 years, right behind Aaron Donald.

Cyphon25
08-17-2018, 09:44 AM
I’d love for Dan to reach his full potential. He’d be a monster.

But, I still think that Hargrave has a higher ceiling. There was an article written about some sort of formula (not PFF, but a site that actually has good analysis) that had Hargrave as the second-best physical specimen at DT in the last 10 years, right behind Aaron Donald.

That sounds like some interesting reading. If you find it again please link it.

Born2Steel
08-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Tuitt has not looked good so far to be honest. Maybe we will see some Dan and Hargrave in together this preseason.

DesertSteel
08-17-2018, 12:13 PM
It makes you wonder if they're changing the scheme up a bit
Hopefully they'll be changing the Defensive Coordinator up too!

Cyphon25
08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Tuitt has not looked good so far to be honest. Maybe we will see some Dan and Hargrave in together this preseason.

Tuitt really hasn't. I remember thinking at one point he could reach Heyward and maybe even pass him. 4 years into his career now and between injury and just kind of underperforming I am not so sure anymore.

Mojouw
08-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Tuitt really hasn't. I remember thinking at one point he could reach Heyward and maybe even pass him. 4 years into his career now and between injury and just kind of underperforming I am not so sure anymore.

Rewatch the first quarter of Week 1 against the Browns last year. Before Tuitt got hurt. That’s his ceiling. And it’s an unholy terror. Single handed blew up multiple running and passing plays.

There are things I worry about with this roster. Tuitt rampaging through offensive lineman like they are tinker toys is not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
08-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Also, all aboard the Big Dan hype train! There’s plenty of room for everyone.

pepsyman1
08-17-2018, 11:56 PM
Also, all aboard the Big Dan hype train! There’s plenty of room for everyone.

We've all seen Big Dan do well at various times in previous pre-seasons...absolutely dominate the interior of the line, driving opposing centers 2 yards into the backfield...and many of us have gotten excited by it. He's just never maintained that level of play or effort long enough to make an impact. I'd love to see him play like that regularly. It would take loads of pressure off the linebackers.

Born2Steel
08-18-2018, 12:23 AM
I think Dan is finally there. 1 - Tired of being "the soft giant". 2- The scheme of 'all you need to do is push people around' is finally kicking in.

Dan McCullers is a monster of a DL in this league. Once he puts his mind to do it, it gets done. Keeping him focused has always been the issue.

pepsyman1
08-18-2018, 12:31 AM
I think Dan is finally there. 1 - Tired of being "the soft giant". 2- The scheme of 'all you need to do is push people around' is finally kicking in.

Dan McCullers is a monster of a DL in this league. Once he puts his mind to do it, it gets done. Keeping him focused has always been the issue.

I hope you are right, because if you are it would be HUGE. Watching him drive a center all the way back into a QB is entertaining as hell and causes a kind of havoc that most offenses have never dealt with before.

Born2Steel
08-18-2018, 12:34 AM
I hope you are right, because if you are it would be HUGE. Watching him drive a center all the way back into a QB is entertaining as hell and causes a kind of havoc that most offenses have never dealt with before.

Imagine the natural physical gifts of Big Dan and the "get you some" attitude of James Harrison. Maybe the Perfect defensive football player.

pczach
08-18-2018, 05:04 AM
Big Dan has definitely been playing much better. Early in the game, the Green Bay OL were just grabbing on for dear life and not letting go because he was overwhelming them physically. That's what you want to see from McCullers.

I'm also not ready to anoint him anything. He needs to keep playing fiercely and consistently. He also needs to learn to finish plays and be more aware of where the ball is. He has gotten better, but there is still much to improve on.

If he makes the roster and then disappears again, he's never going to be a player. Let's hope he figured it out, and the fire in his belly continues to burn.

FrancoLambert
08-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Hold on! Big Dan has magically transformed himself into a combination of Haloti Ngata and Ndamukong Suh?????
He does seem more aggressive.....maybe Dunbar figured out what buttons to push.
I'll wait to see him perform in real games before saying he's finally arrived as a regular contributor.

86WARD
08-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Hargrave is getting a shit ton of snaps. I think he played almost all, if not all of the Eagles game.

Dwinsgames
08-18-2018, 09:12 AM
great read on Big Dan here http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28386/nfls-biggest-quietest-tantalizing-defender-is-changing-his-story

GBMelBlount
08-18-2018, 09:21 AM
great read on Big Dan here http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28386/nfls-biggest-quietest-tantalizing-defender-is-changing-his-story

Ugh?

Can you really expect him to stay off Captain Crunch once he got his long-term deal?

Mojouw
08-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Ugh?

Can you really expect him to stay off Captain Crunch once he got his long-term deal?

Certainly. This all reads like a young man who is finally figuring out how the world works and applying those lessons.

DesertSteel
08-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Sounds like he wants a LT contract.... I didn’t read much about the love of the game or pride in his performance. Just money.

GBMelBlount
08-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Certainly. This all reads like a man-child who is finally figuring out how the world works and applying those lessons.

Fixed it!

AtlantaDan
08-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the link - interesting read :drink:

Two lines in the story sum up McCullers

How long can an NFL project develop before it's too late....

But raw talents get more chances

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28386/nfls-biggest-quietest-tantalizing-defender-is-changing-his-story

Big Dan does not have the history of failed drug tests of Martavis Bryant, but both players are risks for long term second contracts given a lack of motivation that has been shown for years regardless of their potential

Mojouw
08-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Fixed it!
I think you would be profoundly shocked about how little most 20 somethings know about finance, nutrition, health, general common sense, etc. WHy are football players any different?

Some figure it out quickly. Some later. Some never at all.

We will see what group this dude falls into.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like he wants a LT contract.... I didn’t read much about the love of the game or pride in his performance. Just money.

No NFL player plays for that. They may have started football for those reasons, but they play for the most cash in the shortest amount of time.

I could care what motivates these guys to play hard for 60 minutes each Sunday. as long as something does.

BlackAndGold
08-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Big Dan's improvements just makes the DL depth even better.

DesertSteel
08-18-2018, 12:30 PM
No NFL player plays for that. They may have started football for those reasons, but they play for the most cash in the shortest amount of time.

I could care what motivates these guys to play hard for 60 minutes each Sunday. as long as something does.
I didn't intend to appear naive - I'm not. I'm also aware of the Woodley/Hanyesworth approach to playing hard (or not).

Narrative:
1. 4 years with no pulse
2. 1 year of effort (remains to be seen)
3. "I want to make money on a long-term deal"
4. Cash in with a long-term deal
5. See Narrative point #1

Shoes
08-18-2018, 12:32 PM
If it's not in the gut, it won't last and I don't think Dan has it in his gut. But I hope I'm wrong.

pczach
08-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Ugh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UntdGA7gH3Q

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2018, 03:49 PM
If it's not in the gut, it won't last and I don't think Dan has it in his gut. But I hope I'm wrong.

Is that really true? I mean it very well might be.

But like others, I’m really hoping he is just slow to mature into REALLY understanding what he needs to tap into.

In the one article, it said that Dan occasionally punched a wall when his anger at being bullied surfaced. Then he ended any bullying one day in the school bathroom (are bullies really stupid enough to poke a sleeping giant like him?). If he can just figure out a way to think of the opposition’s OLinemen as his childhood bullies... maybe he can access that anger on every play.

This might sound silly, but I think hypnosis might work on a guy like this; to find that anger when it’s appropriate. I know football teams have used hypnosis in the past. Dan is the perfect candidate for it since his job is relatively easy to learn. The mental part in his case is partially technique for sure, but with his body all he really needs to dominate is by lightning that fire.

He needs a guy like Kevin Green to be his life coach. If you saw his episode of NFL Life (or whatever it’s called) you’d understand. Green isn’t as crazy as he seemed. He learned the ability to access his will to dominate through discipline. He comes from a military family and GREATLY believes in teaching it. I believe he could teach a guy like Big Dan. Is Kevin Green still working for the Panthers or some other team? That’s a guy I’d rather have coaching than Joey Porter. Nothing against Porter. He HAD that fire as a player, but it was just his personality. I don’t know if he’s good at TEACHING it. Although he does seem to be trying with Big Dan, even though he coaches a different position.

If Porter CAN find a way to teach Big Dan to find that fire, he will have earned his paycheck and more; regardless of what he does with the linebackers.

You know who else we have that might be able to help Dan? T.J. Watt. Like his brother, he’s a sweet wholesome kid. His personality isn’t mean or anything. The Watt brothers LEARNED to access that fire by sheer willpower and discipline. T.J. learned it. Maybe he can teach it.

Cyphon25
08-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Rewatch the first quarter of Week 1 against the Browns last year. Before Tuitt got hurt. That’s his ceiling. And it’s an unholy terror. Single handed blew up multiple running and passing plays.

There are things I worry about with this roster. Tuitt rampaging through offensive lineman like they are tinker toys is not one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't worry about Tuitt being a good player for our defense, I worry about him reaching my perceived ceiling of him is all. I had VERY high expectations and he has flashed to those levels (you gave the perfect example) but we just haven't seen him carry that for more than minimum amounts of time. Mostly because injuries continue to bite him.

Shoes
08-18-2018, 05:42 PM

But like others, I’m really hoping he is just slow to mature into REALLY understanding what he needs to tap into.

In the one article, it said that Dan occasionally punched a wall when his anger at being bullied surfaced. Then he ended any bullying one day in the school bathroom (are bullies really stupid enough to poke a sleeping giant like him?). If he can just figure out a way to think of the opposition’s OLinemen as his childhood bullies... maybe he can access that anger on every play.

This might sound silly, but I think hypnosis might work on a guy like this; to find that anger when it’s appropriate. I know football teams have used hypnosis in the past. Dan is the perfect candidate for it since his job is relatively easy to learn. The mental part in his case is partially technique for sure, but with his body all he really needs to dominate is by lightning that fire.

He needs a guy like Kevin Green to be his life coach. If you saw his episode of NFL Life (or whatever it’s called) you’d understand. Green isn’t as crazy as he seemed. He learned the ability to access his will to dominate through discipline. He comes from a military family and GREATLY believes in teaching it. I believe he could teach a guy like Big Dan. Is Kevin Green still working for the Panthers or some other team? That’s a guy I’d rather have coaching than Joey Porter. Nothing against Porter. He HAD that fire as a player, but it was just his personality. I don’t know if he’s good at TEACHING it. Although he does seem to be trying with Big Dan, even though he coaches a different position.

If Porter CAN find a way to teach Big Dan to find that fire, he will have earned his paycheck and more; regardless of what he does with the linebackers.

You know who else we have that might be able to help Dan? T.J. Watt. Like his brother, he’s a sweet wholesome kid. His personality isn’t mean or anything. The Watt brothers LEARNED to access that fire by sheer willpower and discipline. T.J. learned it. Maybe he can teach it.

After 4 years of nothing I'd say it probably is imo. He's playing for a multiple-year deal accord to this.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28386/nfls-biggest-quietest-tantalizing-defender-is-changing-his-story

If he gets it, I would expect the same results as the first four years. But I'd like to be proven wrong.

tube517
08-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Greene is an assistant w/the J-E-T-S

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-18-2018, 07:38 PM
I watched the game quickly and while I saw McCullers bull rushing the O lineman at times, I really didnt see him as impactful in the play of the game that much. Personally, I saw more gap control, hand use and awareness of where the football was from Hooks, than I did from McCullers. Although that was likely against the #2's.

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Greene is an assistant w/the J-E-T-S

We need to find a spot for Greene on the Steelers. The Jets are a waste of his ability to inspire.

Speaking of inspire, is Aaron Smith on the Steelers payroll in some capacity? I know he’s been by practice this year. Talk about a nice guy who could turn on the fire at will... he was probably the best 3-4 DE ever. I wouldn’t mind him teaching Big Dan a thing or two about... ANYTHING AT ALL!