PDA

View Full Version : 6 Winners and 3 Losers from Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp 2018

hawaiiansteeler
08-16-2018, 02:48 AM
6 Winners and 3 Losers from Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers have wrapped up their training camp, and we evaluate players who stepped up, and disappointed, during the month-long stay at Saint Vincent College.

By Jeff.Hartman Aug 15, 2018

It seems like just yesterday the Pittsburgh Steelers were rolling, or flying, into Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA checking into their dorm rooms. All of a sudden the team has wrapped up another training camp and is headed back to Pittsburgh after Week 2 of the preseason.

At this time it seems relevant to highlight some players who stood out and upped their stock during their time away from home, and others who disappointed and/or left us with more questions than answers heading into the final weeks of August and the NFL preseason.

Here are the Winners and Losers from the Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Training Camp:

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/8/15/17691390/winners-and-losers-from-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-2018-mason-rudolph-tj-watt-vance-mcdonald

Cyphon25
08-16-2018, 08:53 AM
Not like I was at camp so can only go off of reports but I definitely have some disagreements.

1. Not sure why JuJu would be on the winners. He had very little to prove after already doing it in the real thing and didn't really gain anything but having an expectedly solid/good camp. If 6 has to be the number I would add in Coty Sensabaugh as one of the guys. He is someone who was in very real danger of losing his roster spot but had a good camp and a good first preseason game. Think if he stays even remotely close to this level of play he will be mostly a lock going forward.

2. I am a big fan of Cam Sutton but based on the reporting I read he didn't necessarily have a great camp. Not a bad one but it isn't like people are coming away wondering if he should start over Hilton or Burns and there were some whispers from fans/bloggers of the idea that he should split time with Burns. So I don't think I would put him on the winners list. Would replace him with Big Dan McCullers. They drafted Joe Frazier and the pressure was on and Dan finally had a fire lit under him. Good first preseason game followed by getting first team reps at the next practice. He went from probably off the roster to probably a lock.

3. Watt certainly wasn't a camp loser. Just has a bad hammy. Again, not someone who really had a lot to prove since he has already showed reasonably well in real games. Now in fairness it did matter for the first choice in Vance McDonald because he has an extensive injury history and health is one of the big concerns with him and he failed the test. To replace Watt if we are keeping a list of 3 I would probably go with Marcus Tucker. One of the bigger buzz names coming into camp and really hasn't stood out. In fact we are even talking on this same list about Patterson making the 53 and not Tucker.

4. Sean Davis I am 50/50 on as a choice. Been quiet but again, he doesn't really have to do a whole lot in camp. I feel like when you are talking winners and losers it should be about guys who rise and fall. How about Josh Dobbs not even coming close to doing enough to stave off Rudolph? His chances were slim to begin with but still. Maybe you could go with a Marcus Allen here as well. Probably had a pretty solid chance of making the 53 coming in and has been mostly quiet and is now injured.

Dwinsgames
08-16-2018, 09:46 AM
2. I am a big fan of Cam Sutton but based on the reporting I read he didn't necessarily have a great camp. Not a bad one but it isn't like people are coming away wondering if he should start over Hilton or Burns and there were some whispers from fans/bloggers of the idea that he should split time with Burns. So I don't think I would put him on the winners list. Would replace him with Big Dan McCullers. They drafted Joe Frazier and the pressure was on and Dan finally had a fire lit under him. Good first preseason game followed by getting first team reps at the next practice. He went from probably off the roster to probably a lock.

I didn't live at camp ( wish I could have ) but the one day I was able to attend Sutton was the bright spot of all the DBs , was the ONLY guy who could cover AB with any level of consistency I think AB was 1 catch on 3 attempts vs Sutton everyone else AB chewed up and spit out

Cyphon25
08-16-2018, 09:49 AM
I didn't live at camp ( wish I could have ) but the one day I was able to attend Sutton was the bright spot of all the DBs , was the ONLY guy who could cover AB with any level of consistency I think AB was 1 catch on 3 attempts vs Sutton everyone else AB chewed up and spit out

Well that is definitely good to hear.

I guess sticking to my bigger point, for me winners or losers (at least how I view them) are people who hurt or improve their stock throughout camp. I feel like Sutton is basically right where we pegged him to be at this point. Which isn't at all a bad thing, just not something I would label on a winners list.

tube517
08-16-2018, 09:53 AM
They drafted Joe Frazier and the pressure was on and Dan finally had a fire lit under him. Good first preseason game followed by getting first team reps at the next practice. He went from probably off the roster to probably a lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEIMQ42-oU :chuckle:

Cyphon25
08-16-2018, 10:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEIMQ42-oU :chuckle:

Lmao that is great. Obviously I meant to say George Foreman.....

hawaiiansteeler
08-20-2018, 05:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dk_fnTGXsAANW8f.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Backup running back James Conner has played well enough in the preseason to take a bigger share of the workload during the first few weeks of the real season, when Le'Veon Bell is getting up to speed. Why not try to save Bell somewhat for January? ... Rookie wideout James Washington's ability to catch jump balls is obvious. The Steelers might be forced to find a bigger role for him than expected sooner than later.

After a nice first outing, rookie quarterback Mason Rudolph still looks likely to be the team's No. 3 quarterback behind Landry Jones. ... Sean Davis was a liability last season at strong safety. The team hopes a move to free safety unlocks his potential as a center fielder-type. ... T.J. Watt's absence from practice is a concern for a team thin on the edge.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949966/article/preseason-week-2-winnerslosers-for-each-afc-team

86WARD
08-22-2018, 06:40 AM
Has there been an update on Watt?

hawaiiansteeler
08-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Has there been an update on Watt?

yes, Watt said he was "healing really nicely"

https://www.steelers.com/video/watt-i-m-healing-really-nicely

tube517
08-22-2018, 03:26 PM
yes, Watt said he was "healing really nicely"

https://www.steelers.com/video/watt-i-m-healing-really-nicely