PDA

View Full Version : Who's the sleeper in the Rookie FA mix?

DesertSteel
08-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Somebody is going to impress and make the 53 or PS that wasn't expected - just outworked everyone. Who will it be???

I think Griffey may have a shot at the PS.

(I wouldn't consider Matthew Thomas a sleeper.)

Mojouw
08-05-2018, 07:40 PM
I think the linebacker from Toledo or wherever sticks around because of his pass rush.

Been a few reports that he has shown well in those types of drills.

DesertSteel
08-05-2018, 07:41 PM
I think the linebacker from Toledo or wherever sticks around because of his pass rush.

Agree.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Olasunkanmi Adeniyi

Mojouw
08-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Olasunkanmi Adeniyi

Thanks!

Has anyone else heard much about this guy in camp?

I heard that he was a bit dinged up, but still showing well in pass rush but having the expected struggles in space.

If they go with 5 OLB, you figure he doesn't have too many guys to beat out to make the roster.

Dupree, Watt, Chick, and Adams are likely locked in at this point. I figure they go 5 at OLB and thinner at ILB with the difference there made up in safeties?

I don't know though because that line of thinking leads me to keeping 5 OLB, 5 ILB, 5 Safeties, and 6 CBs and maybe 6 on the DL as well.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks!

Has anyone else heard much about this guy in camp?

heard he was running ahead of Adams the other day , today he is out with an undisclosed injury

Mojouw
08-05-2018, 08:02 PM
heard he was running ahead of Adams the other day , today he is out with an undisclosed injury

Nice if he could carve out a year one role as pass rush off the bench.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2018, 08:20 PM
I will go WAY out on the limb and say Henderson ...............

teegre
08-05-2018, 08:53 PM

I agree.

#dantehall

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Matt Galambos. He isnt a rookie, but thin ILB group could be good for him.

Fire Goodell
08-06-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm hoping Michael Thomas

hawaiiansteeler
08-06-2018, 05:02 PM
EM: Does the WR from Youngstown have a chance to make the team?

Ray Fittipaldo: The Steelers like Damuon Patterson, but it's going to be tough for him to make the 53-man roster. Practice squad more likely. And he's got a shot at that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/06/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-8-6-18/stories/201808060113

st33lersguy
08-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Would be nice to see one of the FA LBs step up and become solid

Dwinsgames
08-06-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm hoping Michael Thomas

we don't need another backup Safety

hawaiiansteeler
08-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Minicamp marvel Damoun Patterson early surprise of Steelers training camp

JOE RUTTER | Monday, Aug. 6, 2018

In May, after having his only pro offer rescinded, Damoun Patterson faced the longest of odds to securing a contract with an NFL team. He was among 20 undrafted free agents — and 55 players overall — invited to attend the Pittsburgh Steelers’ three-day minicamp on a tryout basis.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Patterson ran routes with the first-team offense in Steelers camp, catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger and squaring off with the likes of cornerbacks Joe Haden and Artie Burns.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13945076-74/minicamp-marvel-damoun-patterson-early-surprise-of-steelers-training-camp

Fire Goodell
08-07-2018, 12:40 AM
we don't need another backup Safety

Matthew Thomas I meant, ILB

hawaiiansteeler
08-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Matthew Thomas I meant, ILB

Alan: With a strong showing in the preseason games, can you see a scenario where Matthew Thomas ends of starting at some point in the season?

Ray Fittipaldo: Matthew Thomas has done well at camp, but no, I can't envision a scenario where he starts this year. I'm not even sure he's going to make the 53-man roster. Maybe he will, but I think practice squad is more likely.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/06/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-8-6-18/stories/201808060113

hawaiiansteeler
08-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Pitt's Quadree Henderson Steelers' 'No. 1' punt, kickoff returner in preseason opener

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018

For Quadree Henderson’s first NFL game, he’ll be atop the depth chart at two spots.

A former All-American returner at Pitt, Henderson said he was told on Tuesday by Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and special teams coach Danny Smith that he will get first crack at return duties in the Steelers’ preseason opener Thursday.

“I just found out I’ll be the starting punt returner and starting kick returner, No. 1 up there for right now,” Henderson said late Tuesday morning. “It’s a big opportunity for me to go out there and showcase my skill.”

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13948342-74/pitts-quadree-henderson-steelers-no-1-punt-kickoff-returner-in-preseason-opener

Dwinsgames
08-07-2018, 05:10 PM
awesome

Fire Goodell
08-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Alan: With a strong showing in the preseason games, can you see a scenario where Matthew Thomas ends of starting at some point in the season?

Ray Fittipaldo: Matthew Thomas has done well at camp, but no, I can't envision a scenario where he starts this year. I'm not even sure he's going to make the 53-man roster. Maybe he will, but I think practice squad is more likely.

I'd take it. Hell, making the practice squad as a rookie UDFA is pretty much exceeding the expectations. Most get cut.

BlackAndGold
08-08-2018, 08:24 AM
UDFA Olasunkanmi Adeniyi has been playing well. Hopefully he's the next MAC linebacker to succeed here.

Still just 20 years old.

tube517
08-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Pitt's Quadree Henderson Steelers' 'No. 1' punt, kickoff returner in preseason opener

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018

For Quadree Henderson’s first NFL game, he’ll be atop the depth chart at two spots.

A former All-American returner at Pitt, Henderson said he was told on Tuesday by Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and special teams coach Danny Smith that he will get first crack at return duties in the Steelers’ preseason opener Thursday.

“I just found out I’ll be the starting punt returner and starting kick returner, No. 1 up there for right now,” Henderson said late Tuesday morning. “It’s a big opportunity for me to go out there and showcase my skill.”

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13948342-74/pitts-quadree-henderson-steelers-no-1-punt-kickoff-returner-in-preseason-opener

:nono:

Not big enough for Tomlin's prototype KR : See Dookie Davenport/Gary Russell/Suckerpunch/Redman/Dwyer

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-08-2018, 10:18 AM
UDFA Olasunkanmi Adeniyi has been playing well. Hopefully he's the next MAC linebacker to succeed here.

Still just 20 years old.

Good to hear, he didn't look to be that explosive, or quick of a rusher in his college tape. Would like to see him lean down and get quicker.

BlackAndGold
08-09-2018, 08:16 PM

GoSlash27
08-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Minicamp marvel Damoun Patterson early surprise of Steelers training camp

JOE RUTTER | Monday, Aug. 6, 2018

In May, after having his only pro offer rescinded, Damoun Patterson faced the longest of odds to securing a contract with an NFL team. He was among 20 undrafted free agents — and 55 players overall — invited to attend the Pittsburgh Steelers’ three-day minicamp on a tryout basis.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Patterson ran routes with the first-team offense in Steelers camp, catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger and squaring off with the likes of cornerbacks Joe Haden and Artie Burns.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13945076-74/minicamp-marvel-damoun-patterson-early-surprise-of-steelers-training-camp

^ *Bump*

This seems to be the kid with the golden ticket.