PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Training Camp Recap: Rookies continue to impress

Dwinsgames
08-03-2018, 06:06 PM
There are some who consistently challenge the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers)’ draft classes each year. They always feel there were better players, at better positions, available somewhere else.
As for me, I’ve learned to trust the process but, more importantly, trust the Steelers.

The process being to allow these young players to develop, and trusting the Steelers because they’ve had more good draft picks than bad during the Kevin Colbert / Mike Tomlin era.
It looks as if this will remain true for the current crop of rookies, especially their first two picks. At the end of the first week of training camp it was Terrell Edmunds (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/300441/terrell-edmunds) who was drawing rave reviews in training-camp workouts.

catch the rest here ...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/8/3/17645640/steelers-training-camp-recap-rookies-continue-to-impress-james-washington-terrell-edmunds-nfl-news

Mojouw
08-03-2018, 06:15 PM
That is all good news.

Traveling for work most of this past week. Colleague and I were just listening to a ton of football related podcasts. Can not remember which one. But the host was recapping his tour through about a half dozen camps or so during the opening 3-4 days of training camps. Said one of the things that stuck with him was how much more organized and directed Steelers camp was more than many (not all) other teams.

Just thought it was interesting and it seemed to kind of fit together with what was posted about progress and production.

Fire Goodell
08-03-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm hearing good things about Edmunds, Washington, and Michael Thomas. I didn't panic when they picked Edmunds, the FO's track record on 1st rounders is usually on the money, and I certainly trust them more than the talking heads from ESPN who probably never spent a day on a scout team. Michael Thomas if he keeps it up, will make the 53.

AtlantaDan
08-03-2018, 06:48 PM
That is all good news.

Traveling for work most of this past week. Colleague and I were just listening to a ton of football related podcasts. Can not remember which one. But the host was recapping his tour through about a half dozen camps or so during the opening 3-4 days of training camps. Said one of the things that stuck with him was how much more organized and directed Steelers camp was more than many (not all) other teams.

Just thought it was interesting and it seemed to kind of fit together with what was posted about progress and production.

IMO many of the the Steelers (players and coaches) thought the 2017 drama and playing down to the level of the competition was acceptable since during the regular season they kept winning late to get to 11-2 until the Pats game (and could rationalize that as being screwed by Al Riveron)

That attitude changed with the Jax playoff crash & burn - everyone in camp (Bell of course is not and Mitchell is gone) seems focused

Fire Goodell
08-03-2018, 06:56 PM
IMO many of the the Steelers (players and coaches) thought the 2017 drama and playing down to the level of the competition was acceptable since during the regular season they kept winning late to get to 11-2 until the Pats game (and could rationalize that as being screwed by Al Riveron)

That attitude changed with the Jax playoff crash & burn - everyone in camp (Bell of course is not and Mitchell is gone) seems focused

Possibly the Patriots* game gave them confidence that they could not only hang with them, but beat them. However, they were overconfident going into the Jacksonville game which probably knocked them down a peg. Now here's to hoping they're in a healthier place of "We're good enough to beat anyone, but can't get too cocky because we can lose if we get careless".

This team is very close to a championship and they probably know it. But also, the window's not going to be there forever. I'm not on the ship that when Bell leaves we won't be a contender. It's going to take more than losing Bell to close our window.

hawaiiansteeler
08-03-2018, 11:55 PM
I'm hearing good things about Edmunds, Washington, and Michael Thomas. I didn't panic when they picked Edmunds, the FO's track record on 1st rounders is usually on the money, and I certainly trust them more than the talking heads from ESPN who probably never spent a day on a scout team. Michael Thomas if he keeps it up, will make the 53.

do you mean Justin or Matthew Thomas?

BlackAndGold
08-04-2018, 06:51 AM
do you mean Justin or Matthew Thomas?

Believe Matthew.

pczach
08-04-2018, 09:21 AM
That is all good news.

I love when you hear stuff like that. I have also heard that from several people that talked about the Steeler way and how camp is conducted. They speak of how "purposeful" all their drills are and they way everything is choreographed to optimize the learning curve and get things accomplished that help on the field.