PDA

View Full Version : Would Levon Kirkland be a good ILB in today's NFL?

Fire Goodell
08-01-2018, 03:29 PM
I know probably nothing to do with what's going on, but in my years being a Steeler fan, he was one of my favorite players when he was around. Dude looked like a nose tackle playing linebacker, but was plenty fast for his size. It made running up the middle against us impossible, but in today's pass-happy NFL, would he still be a good linebacker?

Mojouw
08-01-2018, 03:50 PM
I know probably nothing to do with what's going on, but in my years being a Steeler fan, he was one of my favorite players when he was around. Dude looked like a nose tackle playing linebacker, but was plenty fast for his size. It made running up the middle against us impossible, but in today's pass-happy NFL, would he still be a good linebacker?

He played at 270-300 LBs and ran a 4.5-5.0 forty.

He was amazing at almost every phase of the game, but I just don't see a man that size and with those times being able to carry today's TE down the field and run with 3rd down backs.

He could certainly bang on first and second down against run-heavy teams...

...on the other hand, he times slower than Williams, Spence, Fort, and Matakevich.

- - - Updated - - -

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/watch-highlights-of-the-steelers-blitzburgh-1990s-defense-45325591/

43Hitman
08-01-2018, 04:00 PM
He'd probably play DE or DT in today's game.

Dwinsgames
08-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Kirkland was well known for his coverage ability vs TE's he looked VERY out of place in coverage but not because he couldnt cover ... that said todays TE is often times vastly different than the TEs of yesteryear we are not talking about covering Mark Bavaro here ( he could do that ) we are worried about covering Gronk and at 275ish you are not gonna cover 25 yards downfield consistently vs the modern version of the move TE

pczach
08-01-2018, 07:29 PM
He was extremely athletic and fast for his size. He would have already been acclimated to the modern game and have experience in coverage, he would have all the advantages of modern nutrition and athletic training, he would probably be 25-30 lbs lighter, and he would be able to play.

He was a freak athlete, and a freak athlete would be able to play in any era IMO.

tom444
08-01-2018, 08:02 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b9/04/69/b90469a760bf4b3f8b525fb97c2d2459--pittsburgh-sports-steeler-nation.jpg.

Now that's a load.

Born2Steel
08-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Same question. Since Watt is used mostly in space anyway, could he be a better ILB.

Dwinsgames
08-01-2018, 09:21 PM
Same question. Since Watt is used mostly in space anyway, could he be a better ILB.

if training camp is any indication of what we may see in the regular season we are playing a ton of the Dollar def ...

2 down lineman 2 outside linebackers and 7 DBs , no insider backers so I am not sure you want to take a rising star and put him in a pos where he is now only playing 2 downs

Born2Steel
08-01-2018, 09:39 PM
if training camp is any indication of what we may see in the regular season we are playing a ton of the Dollar def ...

2 down lineman 2 outside linebackers and 7 DBs , no insider backers so I am not sure you want to take a rising star and put him in a pos where he is now only playing 2 downs

I do not. But that was not the thread question. AND since Kirkland is not actually available, I expanded the question a little. Watt would have to stay at OLB unless Chickillo or the 7th rounder from 2017 draft really upped their game anyway.

steelreserve
08-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I would imagine that if he was in the lineup, you'd have the other ILB be the one who ran a 4.4 and was good at coverage. One fast guy and one fat guy. Kind of like with Williams-Shazier, or Timmons-Foote/Farrior (except Farrior and Foote weren't big, just old and slow).

You could make it work. But no, I would not want him trying to 1v1 a modern TE who is basically just a tall WR. He could probably be effective in coverage if he only had to cover underneath stuff in a certain area. Of course, it's quite possible certain teams, especially cheating ones, could find ways to take advantage of that since it would basically be a type of zone.