PDA

View Full Version : Artie Burns starting to see results from matchups with Antonio Brown

hawaiiansteeler
07-31-2018, 01:46 AM
Steelers' Artie Burns starting to see results from matchups with Antonio Brown

JOE RUTTER | Monday, July 30, 2018

In his second season with the Steelers, cornerback Artie Burns produced one interception in 16 games.

In the first three days of training camp this summer, Burns had two.

Sure, it’s only practice and the stakes aren’t nearly as high, but Burns is hoping his early success is a sign of things to come once the games start to count in September.

“It’s my third year,” said Burns, who left practice early Monday with a minor injury. “It’s time to really start chipping in and show what I can do.”

For the second training camp in a row, Burns has engaged in single coverage with All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown. This year, Burns is starting to win his share of the matchups.

to read rest of article:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13920207-74/steelers-artie-burns-starting-to-see-results-from-matchups-with-antonio-brown

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2018, 09:05 AM
I hope so, this is the 3rd year that training camp hype of how Burns covers AB so well, but it hasn't translated into his performance on Sundays so far. Artie is correct, it really is time to start "chipping in".

ALLD
07-31-2018, 05:26 PM
He's been stealing a paycheck. Nobody ever said he was the second coming of Rod Woodson, but he needs to show something this year or forgetaboutit.

teegre
07-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Burns was always a project. He left college a year too early, in order to take care of his two younger brothers (Artie was left as their guardian, and he simply needed money; ergo, he entered the draft).

Burns improved every year at Miami, and he’s gotten a little better each year as a pro. Considering that he’s still younger (23) than some cornerbacks drafted this past April, I would stress that we have patience with Burns (as he continues to develop).

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2018, 09:46 PM
Burns was always a project. He left college a year too early, in order to take care of his two younger brothers (Artie was left as their guardian, and he simply needed money; ergo, he entered the draft).

Burns improved every year at Miami, and he’s gotten a little better each year as a pro. Considering that he’s still younger (23) than some cornerbacks drafted this past April, I would stress that we have patience with Burns (as he continues to develop).

Yup and if he doesn't by year 3, then 2nd year Cam Sutton will end up starting at CB and Artie can watch from the sidelines.

Burns never had good technique in Miami and he cheated off his assignments to try and make big plays. He still did that last season and got burned doing it. He needs to hopefully learn from Haden on how to play like a pro and not like a guy playing Bethune Cookman for homecoming.

DesertSteel
07-31-2018, 09:52 PM
Yup and if he doesn't by year 3, then 2nd year Cam Sutton will end up starting at CB and Artie can watch from the sidelines.

Burns never had good technique in Miami and he cheated off his assignments to try and make big plays. He still did that last season and got burned doing it. He needs to hopefully learn from Haden on how to play like a pro and not like a guy playing Bethune Cookman for homecoming.
Maybe the new DB coach can get more out of him?

43Hitman
07-31-2018, 09:54 PM

I gotta feeling our new DB coach is being groomed for more than just coaching corners.

DesertSteel
07-31-2018, 09:55 PM
I gotta feeling our new DB coach is being groomed for more than just coaching corners.
DC huh?

43Hitman
07-31-2018, 09:57 PM
DC huh?

Yeah, I got this feeling that if Butler doesn't bring home the goods this year, then Tom Bradley steps right in.

DesertSteel
07-31-2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I got this feeling that if Butler doesn't bring home the goods this year, then Tom Bradley steps right in.
Yeah I think Butler's seat is hot... he can't get a pass due to Shazier forever...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-01-2018, 12:38 AM

I hope so, but I somehow don't think technique is emphasized in the team culture. I would hope coverage responsibilities and tackling will be and hopefully Burns can be more disciplined in his coverages and willing to tackle.

Fire Goodell
08-01-2018, 01:42 AM
He snagged 2 INT's from Ben to AB so far in camp, so I'd say his arrow's pointing up

teegre
08-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Cam Sutton was my favorite pick from the 2017 draft; I think (aside from Carl Lawson) Sutton could end up being the steal of that entire draft. He, unlike Burns, was indeed ready to enter the NFL.

Again, and this is not a knock on Sutton... but, Sutton is older than Burns. Burns is still raw, and he’s gotten better... so, I’m not about to give up on a guy who is young/still learning the position.

Odds are that the Steelers’ starting CB tandem in 2019 will be Burns & Sutton... and, I think we’ll be in a fine position.

86WARD
08-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Yeah I think Butler's seat is hot... he can't get a pass due to Shazier forever...

Even with Shazier, the run defense was suspect...

Born2Steel
08-01-2018, 12:42 PM
If this 'Killer Bees' offense can just play up to expectation, 30ish pts per game, the defense will be much better. Let Burns run with one WR and just don't let him catch the ball is Burns' best play. The pass rush will get home more if teams have to play catchup thru the air. Rushed/bad passes have a better chance of getting picked. Most of our defensive woes can be fixed with our offensive output.

43Hitman
08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
If this 'Killer Bees' offense can just play up to expectation, 30ish pts per game, the defense will be much better. Let Burns run with one WR and just don't let him catch the ball is Burns' best play. The pass rush will get home more if teams have to play catchup thru the air. Rushed/bad passes have a better chance of getting picked. Most of our defensive woes can be fixed with our offensive output.

You can't expect the offense to do that every week. Heck they pretty much already average 30 pts a game. I will say that the turnovers need to come down this year, or at least not have them come in bunches the way they did last year.

2017- 26.4 points per game for the season; 29.8 at home; and 22.5 away. That's a pretty damn good offense right there.

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game.

Born2Steel
08-01-2018, 09:32 PM
You can't expect the offense to do that every week. Heck they pretty much already average 30 pts a game. I will say that the turnovers need to come down this year, or at least not have them come in bunches the way they did last year.

2017- 26.4 points per game for the season; 29.8 at home; and 22.5 away. That's a pretty damn good offense right there.

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game.

Average yes. But not consistently. This offense needs to be able to put up 28-35 points in 14 of 16 games this season. This defense is not good. The DL is stellar. The LB corps is seriously lacking and sub par. CBs and Safeties are deep but young and inconsistent.

The steelers offense put up 28 points or less in 11 of 16 regular season games last year. 24 or less in 8 of those 11 games. They failed to score 21 points in 5 games. With the potential this offense has, that has to improve this season.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/REG/Steelers

Craic
08-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Average yes. But not consistently. This offense needs to be able to put up 28-35 points in 14 of 16 games this season. This defense is not good. The DL is stellar. The LB corps is seriously lacking and sub par. CBs and Safeties are deep but young and inconsistent.

The steelers offense put up 28 points or less in 11 of 16 regular season games last year. 24 or less in 8 of those 11 games. They failed to score 21 points in 5 games. With the potential this offense has, that has to improve this season.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/REG/Steelers

Sure, but numbers alone don't tell the story. I could just as easily argue based off of last year's record the Steelers only need to score 20 points or more, since they won every game (except the Pats*, which would be a touchdown this year and thus, a win) where they did so.

And now, with Antonio Brown injured (who knows how long? A few days? A month? A season?) and JuJu fighting a knee problem that keeps causing him issues, it's just as likely this team will struggle to get 20 points a game.

Born2Steel
08-02-2018, 06:15 PM
:panic::bolt:

Iron Steeler
08-03-2018, 03:06 PM
:coffee:

- - - Updated - - -

We still do not have a lock down corner IMO

pczach
08-03-2018, 03:43 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you need a lock down corner. I think you need multiple solid players that are fundamentally sound and limit mistakes that end up being big gains or touchdowns. If you have at least two CB that are able to play solid football, your secondary has a chance to hold up, and allows the defensive coordinator the ability to give different looks and blitzes because there is faith that the coverage will hold up.

If you add two interchangeable safeties that have pretty good cover skills and can tackle, you are really on to something without one dominant player among them.

Don't get me wrong.....I would love to have a shut down corner that can eliminate part of the field and make the opposing quarterback look elsewhere, while also helping the numbers game with the remaining defenders against the remaining receiving threats.

Mojouw
08-03-2018, 04:30 PM
I don't think you need a lock down corner. I think you need multiple solid players that are fundamentally sound and limit mistakes that end up being big gains or touchdowns. If you have at least two CB that are able to play solid football, your secondary has a chance to hold up, and allows the defensive coordinator the ability to give different looks and blitzes because there is faith that the coverage will hold up.

If you add two interchangeable safeties that have pretty good cover skills and can tackle, you are really on to something without one dominant player among them.

Don't get me wrong.....I would love to have a shut down corner that can eliminate part of the field and make the opposing quarterback look elsewhere, while also helping the numbers game with the remaining defenders against the remaining receiving threats.

I would add that someone in the secondary needs to generate turnovers.

Not all the guys on this list are known as "shutdown" coverage guys, but they gave their offense 5-8 extra possessions. Highest Steeler I see on the list is Sean Davis with 3.

Be nice to see a secondary that QBs knew that while they could complete some passes against them, if they made a mistake they were going to be punished for it. Currently, the Steelers defenses does not turn offensive mistakes into turnovers.

pczach
08-03-2018, 05:50 PM

Not all the guys on this list are known as "shutdown" coverage guys, but they gave their offense 5-8 extra possessions. Highest Steeler I see on the list is Sean Davis with 3.

Be nice to see a secondary that QBs knew that while they could complete some passes against them, if they made a mistake they were going to be punished for it. Currently, the Steelers defenses does not turn offensive mistakes into turnovers.

I approve this message. :chuckle:

Mojouw
08-03-2018, 06:16 PM
I approve this message. :chuckle:

http://totallyawesometulsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/www.80sprom.comil-570xn-647966352-pqta-4c1bfbc1cffa9e87c163ae3aa9ab884a872d6e3f.jpg

86WARD
08-04-2018, 06:30 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t have to have a lockdown CB...but you do have to have three good to very good CBs to survive in this league...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2018, 01:29 PM

INT's come from 2 things IMO:

1. being close to the WR to make a play on the football
2. having good ball skills to INT a pass.

Haden has both of those qualities. But is age catching up with him?
Burns has good hands, but his poor technique often doesn't have him close enough to the receiver IMO. Its why if he can become a better technician, I think he can get 6INT a season
Hilton is always near the WR, but I think the slot lends itself to defending more passes on quick breaks than it does INT's, although he has shown hands in college.
Sutton I think has both the coverage skills and ball skills to get INT, but will he get reps
I think Davis and Burnett have shown they can get 3 or 4 INT a season from the Safety position.

The way the NFL has slanted rules towards the WR in pass coverage, I think its tougher to get INT in the NFL, unless from poor QB's and disguised coverages. That being said, I think the Steelers secondary has the ability to generate approx. 12 INT in a season. Not sure what they got last season.

DesertSteel
08-04-2018, 02:01 PM
INT's come from 2 things IMO:

1. being close to the WR to make a play on the football
2. having good ball skills to INT a pass.

And pressure on the QB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2018, 03:03 PM
And pressure on the QB.

Sure, but Mojouw probably has some less than 2 second passing analytics that shows passes can be successfully completed before its humanly possible to pressure the QB.:couch2:

Mojouw
08-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Sure, but Mojouw probably has some less than 2 second passing analytics that shows passes can be successfully completed before its humanly possible to pressure the QB.:couch2:

Hey man, I just pass on what I see. And stir the pot a bit...:stirthepot: