PDA

View Full Version : Defense has a Clock...2 seconds

Mojouw
07-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Mods, if this doesn't belong here - move to where it does. Interesting article that argues that teams now have only 2 seconds to rush the passer!

"If you can combat this [short quick passing - my edit, Mojouw], you can win. In 2017, the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles were the only team in the NFL who applied pressure (https://profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-speed-to-apply-pressure-affects-overall-pass-rushing) on the quarterback within 2.5 seconds on 30 percent of pass plays, according to Pro Football Focus, while the Pittsburgh Steelers were second at 28 percent. Both of those teams got to the quarterback within 2.33 seconds on average."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/7/30/17629632/two-seconds-or-less-speed-fast-pass-rush-philadelphia-eagles-pittsburgh-steelers

While most of the article is insightful and well researched, this line kinda takes some of the steam out of it -- "Among the Steelers’ front seven are three first-round picks who can dominate a passer: Cameron Heyward, Bud Dupree, and T.J. Watt."

This comment makes me so THANKFUL for Munch -- "You have almost no time for practice, and yet offensive line coaches do the same stupid drills that have no correlation with playing offensive line,” Schwartz said."

OK. I'll stop now. Anyway, really interesting article. And makes you think about how to create pressure in the current NFL. One thing is for sure, it seems to jive with Tomlin's comments that you can't just line up the OLBs and say "Go!".

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Mods, if this doesn't belong here - move to where it does. Interesting article that argues that teams now have only 2 seconds to rush the passer!

"If you can combat this [short quick passing - my edit, Mojouw], you can win. In 2017, the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles were the only team in the NFL who applied pressure (https://profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-speed-to-apply-pressure-affects-overall-pass-rushing) on the quarterback within 2.5 seconds on 30 percent of pass plays, according to Pro Football Focus, while the Pittsburgh Steelers were second at 28 percent. Both of those teams got to the quarterback within 2.33 seconds on average."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/7/30/17629632/two-seconds-or-less-speed-fast-pass-rush-philadelphia-eagles-pittsburgh-steelers

While most of the article is insightful and well researched, this line kinda takes some of the steam out of it -- "Among the Steelers’ front seven are three first-round picks who can dominate a passer: Cameron Heyward, Bud Dupree, and T.J. Watt."

This comment makes me so THANKFUL for Munch -- "You have almost no time for practice, and yet offensive line coaches do the same stupid drills that have no correlation with playing offensive line,” Schwartz said."

OK. I'll stop now. Anyway, really interesting article. And makes you think about how to create pressure in the current NFL. One thing is for sure, it seems to jive with Tomlin's comments that you can't just line up the OLBs and say "Go!".

Schwartz points to boards and chutes as an O line set of drills that he didn't think had value. Its meant to be for run blocking, so doesn't quite apply to the article, but run blocking is a part of the game. IMO, pass blocking technique becomes so important in order to get QB 3 seconds or more in the pocket.

An O lineman that is in a quick passing offense knows he needs to block for a shorter time, so its important that they are able to stop upward rush and handle the initial move and then counter-move of the rusher. I think that is why the guys the are good athletes with quick feet and get some offseason martial arts or boxing training can really improve their protection.

Rushers need to have a move and a counter move, plus be good with their hands IMO. That is what I like most of Watt is his hand skills, while Dupree hasn't really shown a great use of his hands in rushing.