PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorites: #58 Jack Lambert

Count Steeler
07-28-2018, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gak1XX_oQ

Butch
07-28-2018, 04:53 PM
I was also a HUGE Lambert fan, and to those too young to know he was something special. He was feared like no other!!! Look up what Elway had to say on his 1st game against Jack.

1. I will always remember him throwing Cliff Harris to the ground in SB X (it ignited the team to victory)
2. He once spit in Butkus's face and Dick didn't do a thing about it (how can Butkus be considered the meanest ever?)
3. By far and away the Greatest Hall of Fame speech ever!!!

hawaiiansteeler
07-28-2018, 06:33 PM
I was also a HUGE Lambert fan, and to those too young to know he was something special. He was feared like no other!!! Look up what Elway had to say on his 1st game against Jack.

1. I will always remember him throwing Cliff Harris to the ground in SB X (it ignited the team to victory)
2. He once spit in Butkus's face and Dick didn't do a thing about it (how can Butkus be considered the meanest ever?)
3. By far and away the Greatest Hall of Fame speech ever!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EdmIB2kRFc

ALLD
07-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Greatest LBer in Steeler history. Dobra Shunka was great too and a bit more cerebral.

SteelerCountry58
07-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Greatest LBer in Steeler history. Dobra Shunka was great too and a bit more cerebral. Got that right! Of course I’m kind of partial.:chuckle:

fansince'76
07-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Greatest LBer in Steeler history. Dobra Shunka was great too and a bit more cerebral.

Lambert had a pretty high football IQ himself. When the Streelers switched to the 3-4 in 1983, Lambert still made All-Pro. In fact, I think he was 3rd or 4th in DPOY voting that year as well, IIRC.

A gem from the SI Vault: A Rose By Any Other Name (https://www.si.com/vault/1984/07/30/620180/a-rose-by-any-other-name)

86WARD
07-29-2018, 01:33 AM
One of
My favorites as well. Thanks for posting this.

pczach
07-29-2018, 08:03 AM
I always thought that Lambert got more hype, but that Ham was the better overall LB by a hair.

Lambert was an incredible player.

All I know is that it is unbelievable to have that many truly great players on the field at one time. When you can have discussions about which HOF teammate was better, you know you're talking about good times as fans.

ALLD
07-29-2018, 08:25 AM
I always thought that Lambert got more hype, but that Ham was the better overall LB by a hair.

Lambert was an incredible player.

All I know is that it is unbelievable to have that many truly great players on the field at one time. When you can have discussions about which HOF teammate was better, you know you're talking about good times as fans.

Lambert and Ham were 2 distinctly different styles. Apples and oranges. They complemented each other like no other which contributed to their dominance. Let's just say Ham would pick off a pass just when the team needed a big play to win. Lambert played with less finesse than Ham, but was brutally effective.