PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Need Money for the Defense Prior to Ben R Hanging it Up

Mojouw
07-27-2018, 03:01 PM
This is the drumbeat of an argument that I keep hearing. Okay. Just out of curiosity, where would you spend it? Below is the starting 11 + the nickel back on defense and the last season they are under contract.

DE: Tuitt - 2022
DT: Hargrave - 2019 on rookie deal.
DE: Heyward - 2020

OLB: Dupree - we all know the score here. One possible place to put $$$, but it is either on a Dupree extension or another 1st round rookie. Either way, likely not a cap buster.
ILB: Williams - 2018
ILB: Bostic/Shazier/Matakevich - who really knows what happens here?
OLB: Watt - 2021

CB: Burns - 2020
CB: Haden - 2019 (but Sutton is ready to step in on a deal that doesn't expire until 2020)
CB: Hilton - 2018 (but he is an extremely restricted type of FA after the season. Steeler can resign for cheap at their leisure)
FS: Davis - 2019
SS: Burnett - 2020 and Edmunds steps in and is signed through 2022.

So that means the Steelers need an extension for Hargrave, Dupree, and Davis in the next 2 seasons with Burns scheduled for one sometime in the next 3. Best case scenario for the defense, and ALL of those guys have incredible 2018 seasons. Then the team can sign them to Heyward and Tuitt style 5 year team friendly extensions. Not going to be a massive problem there. Each would only have one season of big-time production on the books.

Other than those guys, you are looking at only having to spend money at ILB at some point. And that will likely be small potatoes rookie deals and veterans like Bostic.

Long story short, I am not itching to spend money on Leveon Bell, but the argument that the team can't do it because defense doesn't really hold up. It would be the 2020 or 2021 season before the current defensive roster gets really expensive - and that assumes 4-5 guys suddenly start playing at a Pro Bowl level.

FWIW, Joe Haden would be 2/3 of Bell's first big $$$ year in an extension. I mean this doesn't matter because it simply not going to happen.