PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Batch could be only option‎

polamalubeast
09-21-2010, 03:03 AM
:faint::toofunny:

Charlie Batch might find it amusing if it weren't so serious. He is the last man standing, the lone healthy quarterback the Steelers have at the position as they prepare for their third game.

He was snubbed all spring and all summer in the competition at quarterback, rarely given snaps in practice never mind a chance to compete. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that Batch's history of injuries worked against him. He looked to be the quarterback they would release to start the season.

And here he is, the only healthy one on their roster with a chance to start the Steelers' next game Sunday in Tampa, Fla.

The news on the latest injury to a Steelers quarterback may not be as good as they had hoped Sunday after Dennis Dixon's left knee was injured in their 19-11 victory at Tennessee. One source close to the situation said that Dixon has a torn lateral meniscus, which could keep him out 3-5 weeks.

Tomlin said after the game he did not know who would start against the Buccaneers. Given choices all year, he turned away from Batch, even after veteran Byron Leftwich's left knee was sprained.

Now Tomlin may have no choice after Dixon's injury. The Steelers provided no official update on Dixon's condition, although he attended meetings Monday with his teammates.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10264/1089109-66.stm#ixzz109J09q6p

Galax Steeler
09-21-2010, 03:28 AM
I really hope Leftwich can make it back. I like Batch and all but I don't think he is what we need in at quarterback right now.

HometownGal
09-21-2010, 05:54 AM
I am :pray:ing hard that Lefty will be able to go against the Bucs. If we're going to hand the ball off all day, Botch is the man, but geez - I'm forgetting what a pass looks like!

Kaeg
09-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Batch may not have looked too bad if it weren't for the TD called back by penalty and the one Hines couldn't reel in. Not faulting Hines. I think it was catchable, but it would have been a great catch. But whoever goes in, I'm hoping they just throw it a little more to help keep the run game going. Maybe they just need a little more faith in the pass game and let a rhythm get going. Or at least hope to get one started a tiny little.....

zulater
09-21-2010, 06:07 AM
I am :pray:ing hard that Lefty will be able to go against the Bucs. If we're going to hand the ball off all day, Botch is the man, but geez - I'm forgetting what a pass looks like!

He actually threw a few decent passes that should have been caught this past sunday. Even Ward dropped what should have been a TD pass. Aand if you count the one that was called back Batch's stats could have looked a helluval lot better than what they were.

Give Charlie a full week of reps with the first team offense and he'll do fine. I have no worries that Batch couldn't deliever the W in Tampa if called upon.:tt03:

HometownGal
09-21-2010, 06:15 AM
He actually threw a few decent passes that should have been caught this past sunday. Even Ward dropped what should have been a TD pass. Aand if you count the one that was called back Batch's stats could have looked a helluval lot better than what they were.

Give Charlie a full week of reps with the first team offense and he'll do fine. I have no worries that Batch couldn't deliever the W in Tampa if called upon.:tt03:

Sorry, Zu - though I love Charlie because of the awesome guy he is, I have little faith in him as a QB other than to hand the ball off, as he's shown me very little since he became a Steeler.

On the pass that was called back on the penalty - he had time to throw and complete that pass in the EZ BECAUSE of the penalty. I'll give him the TD pass to Hines that he dropped - that should have been a TD. While I'll always support whoever the Steelers choose to start, I can't deny that Charlie makes me very nervous out there and I'd rather see you suit up behind center than him. :heh:

SteelerSal
09-21-2010, 06:34 AM

You and me both. :dizzy: And when there is actually something that kind of resembles a pass, it's only 3-5 yards downfield. :no:

HometownGal
09-21-2010, 07:06 AM
You and me both. :dizzy: And when there is actually something that kind of resembles a pass, it's only 3-5 yards downfield. :no:

That's because 3-5 yards is about all Botch normally can throw. :heh: ;)

BA and Coach T are playing very conservatively with both Dixon and Botch and I think it's a smart move. With Dixon out and Lefty coming back (I hope), the passing game can be opened up more.

venom
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Will the Steelers D show up in Tampa ? We will be fine .

GodfatherofSoul
09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Batch took a few passes to get settled in, then had that beautiful bullet about 20-30 yards downfield to Wallace that the defender broke up. Hines also had a shot at that pass in the front corner of the end zone. I think Batch will look much better next week.

SteelGhost
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I just HOPE he doesn't get injured :noidea: God bless The Nation if ARE has to play QB :doh:

vasteeler
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I just HOPE he doesn't get injured :noidea: God bless The Nation if ARE has to play QB :doh:

um....what about lefty?

um....nevermind, i should have read the whole thread

Animal Mother
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
First I want to say that it is awesome that we are 2-0 at this point with our QB situation in crisis mode. Second, I think Batch will do just fine, as long as he minimizes mistakes and lets the game come to him, we apparently need just 10 points with our D playing the way it is. Lastly, even if we lose the next 2, imagine what this team will be when Ben gets back. Wow are we going to be unstoppable!