PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight on Le'Veon Bell's backups to start Steelers camp

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Spotlight on Le'Veon Bell's backups to start Steelers camp

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers open training camp July 25 at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Here's a closer look at the Steelers' camp:

Top storyline: Where's Le'Veon? Life without star back Le'Veon Bell has become an expectation after two years of rocky franchise-tag negotiations. Players have wised up to NFL business and know Bell might not be around for a while. The Steelers must adjust. Bell, who missed camp last year, averaged 3.46 yards per carry in his first three games upon return. The Steelers need contingency plans to avoid another slow start.

QB depth chart: Ben Roethlisberger, Landry Jones, Joshua Dobbs, Mason Rudolph. The Steelers have four quarterbacks and three spots. They will start Roethlisberger, develop rookie Rudolph and name either Jones or Dobbs a primary backup. Jones has experience and has grown into a capable quarterback, which a contending team should value. But if Dobbs and Rudolph have solid preseasons, perhaps Jones will have trade value.

Bubble watch: Running back Stevan Ridley. Ridley is a former 1,000-yard rusher who can create a role in the Steelers' depth chart, but the numbers game will be difficult to navigate upon Bell's return. Former third-round pick James Conner eyes a productive sophomore season, and fifth-round rookie Jaylen Samuels is an intriguing pass-catching option. That leaves two veterans, Ridley and Fitz Toussaint, working to solidify a role.

This rookie could start:

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28051/leveon-bell-again-the-dominant-storyline-at-steelers-camp

ALLD
07-26-2018, 12:23 PM
I would cut Fitz just for that fumble.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-26-2018, 12:40 PM
I would cut Fitz just for that fumble.

Should have cut him the week before the fumble, after his 118 yards of offense helped them beat the Bengals 18-16. SMH

I always find it amusing that Toussaint get the blame for that loss, when he gets no credit for what he did to get them there. Also, that a Steelers offense consisting of Ben, Bryant, Wheaton, Coates, Todman and Toussaint as playmakers could only score 1TD in that Broncos game.

DesertSteel
07-26-2018, 01:39 PM
I like the Conners/Samuels combo.

Mojouw
07-26-2018, 02:40 PM
I like the Conners/Samuels combo.

Just curious, but based on what? Projecting college performance to the pros?

DesertSteel
07-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Just curious, but based on what? Projecting college performance to the pros?
Obviously, nothing more than potential at this point. I saw more in Conner than you did last year and am having blind faith he's improved in pass blocking. With Samuels, I like his skill set based on highlights. I also like his measureables; they seem like they would translate to the NFL. Clearly, the Steelers share my opinion based on their draft picks.

Mojouw
07-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Obviously, nothing more than potential at this point. I saw more in Conner than you did last year and am having blind faith he's improved in pass blocking. With Samuels, I like his skill set based on highlights. I also like his measureables; they seem like they would translate to the NFL. Clearly, the Steelers share my opinion based on their draft picks.

I think both have an immense amount of potential. If Conner shows improvement in pass blocking this year, I'll back way off. But if not, then he is just another guy that can't /won't get the mental part of the game right to the point that whatever physical ability he has can shine through.

Samuels, I honestly have no idea what to expect. Having a hard time gauging both his floor and ceiling until he plays against some real competition?

I mean, on paper, I kinda think I agree with you. Those two should be able to form a two-headed monster at RB that can pose some serious challenges to defenses.

Fire Goodell
07-26-2018, 04:56 PM
I think both have an immense amount of potential. If Conner shows improvement in pass blocking this year, I'll back way off. But if not, then he is just another guy that can't /won't get the mental part of the game right to the point that whatever physical ability he has can shine through.

Samuels, I honestly have no idea what to expect. Having a hard time gauging both his floor and ceiling until he plays against some real competition?

I mean, on paper, I kinda think I agree with you. Those two should be able to form a two-headed monster at RB that can pose some serious challenges to defenses.

Yeah I'm curious to see what Conner can show us. I'm leaning toward giving him the benefit of the doubt since picking up the technicalities of the game is for the most part, a work ethic thing. And anyone who can beat cancer and practice while going through chemo is one mentally tough dude. I'm optimistic that he will make a big jump this year. He definitely doesn't seem to be that 'gifted athlete that's dumb as rocks' like shamarko thomas.

Samuels is a wild card. Has all the intangibles, a 220 lb guy with 4.5 speed, capable of playing multiple positions. But the big question mark is, if he's perfected the craft of any position well enough to translate it to the NFL?

In any case it'll be an interesting preseason. Le'Veon Bell not being there will allow them to get a really good look at both imo. Toussaint and Ridley, eh. We already know what they bring, and it's not all that exciting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-26-2018, 05:39 PM

As a runner, Samuels looked OK at the Senior Bowl and his inside running style reminded me of a bigger Tashard Choice. His size didn't make him appear to be explosive or have burst, so I would say he is somewhat limited to running off tackle to between the tackles. As a receiver, he sets up his breaks well and creates enough space to make catches and has good hands. I think he is more of a receiving back or a guy you run out of ace back set on 2nd and 7, or you can pass from the same set.

Connor, just hoping he can comeback healthy and run strong like he did. The kid runs with a lean and finish that O linemen like to block for, because he punishes defenders.

Fire Goodell
07-26-2018, 07:34 PM
As a runner, Samuels looked OK at the Senior Bowl and his inside running style reminded me of a bigger Tashard Choice. His size didn't make him appear to be explosive or have burst, so I would say he is somewhat limited to running off tackle to between the tackles. As a receiver, he sets up his breaks well and creates enough space to make catches and has good hands. I think he is more of a receiving back or a guy you run out of ace back set on 2nd and 7, or you can pass from the same set.

Connor, just hoping he can comeback healthy and run strong like he did. The kid runs with a lean and finish that O linemen like to block for, because he punishes defenders.

Samuels could be one of those John L Williams / Roger Craig type players. I wouldn't mind that at all :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Samuels could be one of those John L Williams / Roger Craig type players. I wouldn't mind that at all :chuckle:

I would like that too. But I haven't seen anything from him that shows he is as determined of a runner as either of those guys. Again, I think a bulked up Ronnie Harmon is my comparison. Either way, I hope he finds the endzone 7times or more this season.