PDA

View Full Version : 5 steelers that need to show something to prove

Dwinsgames
07-25-2018, 10:15 AM
It’s July 25th and the Pittsburgh Steelers report to Latrobe today for Training Camp. There are a few Steelers who have something extra to prove in camp, and in 2018. The Steelers leaned on their offense in 2017, so naturally this list consists on mostly defensive players.

https://steelcityblitz.com/5-steelers-who-have-something-to-prove/

43Hitman
07-25-2018, 10:19 AM
It’s July 25th and the Pittsburgh Steelers report to Latrobe today for Training Camp. There are a few Steelers who have something extra to prove in camp, and in 2018. The Steelers leaned on their offense in 2017, so naturally this list consists on mostly defensive players.

https://steelcityblitz.com/5-steelers-who-have-something-to-prove/

Steelers Training camp is the best B-day present every year! Go me!! :lol:

steelreserve
07-25-2018, 10:53 AM
I bet I can write a better article in 10 words or less:

BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE

Done! Nailed it.

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 11:00 AM
The only one who really belongs on that list is James Washington and even him only barely. The other guys (and Washington to an extent) have nothing to prove in camp because their jobs are locked up. They need to prove they can do it during the season. Burns had a great camp a year ago and was the only corner who could cover AB. Then we watched him get burned multiple times during the season.

Guys who need to have good camps are Keion Adams, Matthew Thomas, LJ Fort, Brian Allen, Coty Sensabaugh, Marcus Tucker and names like that. Roster bubble guys who have to prove they belong on the 53 and would also add some depth at questionable positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2018, 11:28 AM
The only one who really belongs on that list is James Washington and even him only barely. The other guys (and Washington to an extent) have nothing to prove in camp because their jobs are locked up. They need to prove they can do it during the season. Burns had a great camp a year ago and was the only corner who could cover AB. Then we watched him get burned multiple times during the season.

Guys who need to have good camps are Keion Adams, Matthew Thomas, LJ Fort, Brian Allen, Coty Sensabaugh, Marcus Tucker and names like that. Roster bubble guys who have to prove they belong on the 53 and would also add some depth at questionable positions.

I respectfully disagree. If Burns doesn't have a good camp, then Cam Sutton will replace him. If Sean Davis doesn't have a good camp, then any one of Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Nate Berhe can replace him. James Washington needs to work hard to show that he should be the boundary WR in 3WR sets, otherwise it could be JuJu with a slot WR, or then JuJu in the slot and Justin Hunter out wide.

the NFL stands for Not For Long and if any of those guys on the list thinks they already have a spot, then NFL applies, IMO.

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 12:30 PM
I respectfully disagree. If Burns doesn't have a good camp, then Cam Sutton will replace him. If Sean Davis doesn't have a good camp, then any one of Morgan Burnett, Terrell Edmunds, Nate Berhe can replace him. James Washington needs to work hard to show that he should be the boundary WR in 3WR sets, otherwise it could be JuJu with a slot WR, or then JuJu in the slot and Justin Hunter out wide.

You can disagree but it goes against the Steelers history. They are extremely slow at times when it comes to making changes (see Antwon Blake from a couple of years ago) and these are all high round draft picks without a ton of competition behind them.

Burns - His competition is basically a group of rookies. I know Sutton is technically second year but injuries held him back last season. I am as big a fan of Sutton as anyone and think there should be an open competition with Burns but his job is still pretty safe. It would take a big drop off from him and a major leap from Sutton for them to make that move to start the season. But really that doesn't matter. The point still stands that Burns has nothing to prove, he just can't fall off of the map. They already know mostly what he is and he has enough starts under his belt that there aren't many surprises left. So if you want to say he has some minor level of competition sure, I would agree to that but he definitely doesn't have anything to prove. The spot is his to lose.

Davis - Even more secure than Burns. Burnett isn't replacing him because Burnett is already a starter in the other position and Edmunds is most likely going to be your dime guy as a 'sort of' starter. Nate Behre is on the roster for ST and ST only. He wouldn't beat out Golden or Wilcox if they were still on the roster. His one skill is hunting people down on ST. Also, see the end of my Burns post. Davis has nothing to prove, he just can't play so badly that he loses the job and that would be darn near impossible.

Washington - I already said he belongs but only slightly. Again, there is really nobody he is facing at this point. Justin Hunter isn't starting and isn't even a lock to make the roster. DHB is probably a roster lock but because of ST and not WR (even though I think he is more capable than most). With Rogers back there is a chance that JuJu gets the outside and Rogers gets the slot though. So of the bunch Washington has the most to do but that goes for pretty much any rookie trying to earn a roster spot.

The other guys though, they don't have hardly anything to do outside of not playing so badly that they shock us all. The season is where the money will be made for these guys and the Steelers will have some decisions to make. If Dupree doesn't step up they might not go through with the 5th year option and Burns and Davis are going to be coming up on contract negotiations as well.

Born2Steel
07-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Only 5? I think I can probably name at least 1 guy from each position group that needs to prove themselves in camp. It starts with the guys that need to be able to learn the playbook.

teegre
07-25-2018, 05:37 PM
We need 53 players who “have something to prove.”

BlackAndGold
07-25-2018, 05:37 PM
I bet I can write a better article in 10 words or less:

BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE
BUD DUPREE

Done! Nailed it.

So one player is holding the team back from winning. We're in great shape.

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2018, 05:53 PM
Only 5? I think I can probably name at least 1 guy from each position group that needs to prove themselves in camp.

this ^^^^

Dwinsgames
07-25-2018, 06:29 PM
We need 53 players who “have something to prove.”

#WORD

Fire Goodell
07-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Here's the top 5 I'd like to see take a step forward

1. Bud Dupree - really I want to be a fan of this guy, but he's been an underachiever since coming into the league.
2. Sean Davis - time to step up, last year was a disappointment
3. Artie Burns - see #2
4. James Conner - With Bell out of training camp / preseason & 99% unlikely to be a Steeler next year, this kid has the most to gain by a strong showing
5. Tyler Matakevich - The top of the depth chart ILB that nobody believes in. I'm hoping he comes in with a huge chip on his shoulder and proves he belongs in the NFL. However, I'm not counting on it really (I'm one of his doubters, but the team seems high on him and sees him on the daily, so.... who knows?)

Honorable Mention: TJ Watt - He showed he can play, but can he be a star in this league?