PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant?

RunNGun
07-24-2018, 08:49 PM
I saw an article today saying the Steelers were monitoring his market. I would post the link, but I can't figure out this new phone. 247sports.com

Would you be on board?

Cyphon25
07-24-2018, 08:55 PM
I can't see any way that happens.

st33lersguy
07-24-2018, 08:57 PM
The team doesn't need another WR and the last thing the team needs is another me-first low character guy who likes to cause drama

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I don't see where he fits on the team, other than the guy who complains about not getting enough targets

Mojouw
07-24-2018, 09:00 PM
Here it is:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Dez-Bryants-market-is-being-monitored-by-one-NFL-team-120044790/

I would be against it for anything for a variety of reasons:

1. Injury and diminishing skills have caused Dez to be not really all that good last 2 seasons or so. He still thinks he is a "big play"/"outside" WR. He is more of a move the chains guy now - think late career Ward or current Fitzgerald.

2. Bryant wants a 1 year deal to rehab his value and get a big multi-year deal after the season. To make that happen, he will DEMAND playing time and likely be a problem if not featured enough. With AB, Bell, and a series of younger WR (Juju, Washington, etc) to attempt to continue to develop -- how many targets will there really be for a 1 year hired gun?

OF course...I can totally see the other side. Watching Dez Bryant just post up on over-matched DBs would be really fun!

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 09:15 PM
The team doesn't need another WR and the last thing the team needs is another me-first low character guy who likes to cause drama

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, I don't see where he fits on the team, other than the guy who complains about not getting enough targets

THIS

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Dez-Bryants-market-is-being-monitored-by-one-NFL-team-120044790/

I would be against it for anything for a variety of reasons:

1. Injury and diminishing skills have caused Dez to be not really all that good last 2 seasons or so. He still thinks he is a "big play"/"outside" WR. He is more of a move the chains guy now - think late career Ward or current Fitzgerald.

2. Bryant wants a 1 year deal to rehab his value and get a big multi-year deal after the season. To make that happen, he will DEMAND playing time and likely be a problem if not featured enough. With AB, Bell, and a series of younger WR (Juju, Washington, etc) to attempt to continue to develop -- how many targets will there really be for a 1 year hired gun?

OF course...I can totally see the other side. Watching Dez Bryant just post up on over-matched DBs would be really fun!

and THIS

DesertSteel
07-24-2018, 09:30 PM
I could never have envisioned the Rooney’s endorsing Michael Vick either.

tube517
07-24-2018, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised Danny Boy in Washington hasn't picked him up yet. I don't even know who their receivers are.

steelreserve
07-24-2018, 10:40 PM
:vetmin:

hawaiiansteeler
07-24-2018, 10:41 PM
we just traded away one diva WR named Bryant, here's our chance to replace him with another one!

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised Danny Boy in Washington hasn't picked him up yet. I don't even know who their receivers are.

Jamison Crowder and .... and .....and .... thats all I got

hawaiiansteeler
07-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Jamison Crowder and .... and .....and .... thats all I got

I know they drafted Josh Doctson a couple of seasons ago to be their #1....that's all I got.

Born2Steel
07-25-2018, 07:29 AM
I know Dez would put another WR on the field that defenses have to account for. Dez is diminished sure. In another thread the talk is cut DHB just because. Now not even a sniff for a guy that has had a pretty decent career as an NFL WR? I'm still looking for #7 and I am willing to consider all roads. I say let's talk to him and see if he can work.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2018, 08:56 AM
:vetmin:

His market may end up being that. So, I'm with you for that.

Mojouw
07-25-2018, 09:21 AM
I know Dez would put another WR on the field that defenses have to account for. Dez is diminished sure. In another thread the talk is cut DHB just because. Now not even a sniff for a guy that has had a pretty decent career as an NFL WR? I'm still looking for #7 and I am willing to consider all roads. I say let's talk to him and see if he can work.

Sure. If he wants to play for a small $$ deal. And if he is willing to accept a reduced role. And I seriously doubt he wants to do that. Dez wants to be #1 WR again. Coming here and playing behind AB isn't a path to that goal. Plus Dez running as the #2 or #3 stunts the growth of Juju and Washington. Combine that with what we can reasonably project to happen if Dez slips down the depth chart to #3 or #4. It would be Harrison and Blount all over again.

From a talent standpoint, putting AB/Juju/Dez/Washington on the field as a 4 WR set would be staggeringly fun to watch, but I do not see a way that it works.

hwalker84
07-25-2018, 09:32 AM
We need a solid 4 WR's. At this moment we haven't see Washington take a single NFL snap. If the money is right and he's willing to show he still has it. I'd take a risk with a 1yr deal.

Iron Steeler
07-25-2018, 09:47 AM
The theme for the end of last year was get rid of the bad character guys and lets draft some good character guys.

Gone
1. Cut ties with Harrison - Older Grump demanding playing time causing. Bad attitude in the locker room. DISTRACTION
2. Martavis Bryant- Horrible character, got busted again. DISTRACTION
3. Lev Bell- Hard working, although money hungry me first attitude . DISTRACTIONish ( he always plays 100% when hes on the field)

Added
1. Terrell Edmunds- from what I see is a extremely hard worker with his 2% mentality
2. James Washington- Seems like a salt of the earth kid. Farmer. Good morals
3. Jaylen Samuels- Played every position in college. Screams team player

All this points to NO on Dez Bryant being a Steeler. We don't need any distractions this year. We are trying to build a team first mentality .

86WARD
07-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Dez? Only reason this makes sense is they can save money on Jersey production costs and hand him some old #10s...

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 10:56 AM
we just traded away one diva WR named Bryant, here's our chance to replace him with another one!

Nailed it.

Fire Goodell
07-25-2018, 11:46 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Totally, I mean we already have Bell

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2018, 04:23 PM
the Brownies are reportedly considering Dez:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24191752/cleveland-browns-discussed-adding-wr-dez-bryant-mix

Fire Goodell
07-25-2018, 08:35 PM
the Brownies are reportedly considering Dez:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24191752/cleveland-browns-discussed-adding-wr-dez-bryant-mix

lol, we can always count on the Browns to make some stupid decisions. But I guess with Gordon probably making his way out of the NFL, they need another WR who's a head case

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2018, 09:02 PM
lol, we can always count on the Browns to make some stupid decisions. But I guess with Gordon probably making his way out of the NFL, they need another WR who's a head case

what's the over/under on Haley co-existing with Dez?

hawaiiansteeler
07-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Steelers' Antonio Brown recruits Dez Bryant on Twitter

July 29, 2018
Chelsea Howard

At least one Steelers player wants Dez Bryant to join Pittsburgh.

to read rest of article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/antonio-brown-recruits-dez-bryant-steelers-cowboys-browns-nfl-contract-stats-twitter/176we74rc8ak1z6sypv81kiqn

tube517
07-29-2018, 03:22 PM
Steelers' Antonio Brown recruits Dez Bryant on Twitter

July 29, 2018
Chelsea Howard

At least one Steelers player wants Dez Bryant to join Pittsburgh.

to read rest of article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/antonio-brown-recruits-dez-bryant-steelers-cowboys-browns-nfl-contract-stats-twitter/176we74rc8ak1z6sypv81kiqn

No.

43Hitman
07-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Hell no.

Hawkman
07-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Hell,hell, NO!

hawaiiansteeler
07-29-2018, 07:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

DesertSteel
07-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Sign him. I have no problem with it. He'll end up going to NE and being a solid teammate and contributor.

steelreserve
07-29-2018, 10:39 PM
Sign him. I have no problem with it. He'll end up going to NE and being a solid teammate and contributor.

Yeah, that signing would have "Belichick playbook courier" written all over it.

But right now my money is on Ridley. They were playing the long game with that one.

Craic
07-30-2018, 12:18 AM
Looking at just talent on the field, my first thought, obviously, is sign him (again, looking purely at talent). However, then I remember we have JuJu Smith, who, while no Dez Bryant, provides us with every reason to think he'll have a great season this year. We have Washington who just has workhorse WR written all over him. Of course, AB needs to get his touches this year and like him or not, Bell is going to swallow up a lot of touches this year as well. JuJu needs to get his touches to keep his development and we need to see what Washington can do. With that all said, I don't think there's room for a WR of Bryant's caliber on this offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2018, 12:40 AM

Yeah, if they do their diligence on him I don't have a problem. The guy will need to accept he is a #2 WR and I think he would know that with AB. Thing is that I still think he commands $5million salary range, so not sure if worth the gamble with limited cap room.

DesertSteel
07-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Yeah, if they do their diligence on him I don't have a problem. The guy will need to accept he is a #2 WR and I think he would know that with AB. Thing is that I still think he commands $5million salary range, so not sure if worth the gamble with limited cap room.
I think the price tag is dropping.... probably $3M. He wants a prove-it year, especially since the market has looked elsewhere for its WR needs. I bet he wishes he'd taken that Ravens offer now...

steel striker
07-30-2018, 11:07 AM
No thanks Dez

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2018, 11:26 AM
I think the price tag is dropping.... probably $3M. He wants a prove-it year, especially since the market has looked elsewhere for its WR needs. I bet he wishes he'd taken that Ravens offer now...

Yeah, he had $7million offer from Ravens, who ended up with Willie Snead and now he might end up with $3million deal? Dez had good seasons with Romo, but Dak Prescott seemed to look more to Witten and Beasley, so I don't hold anything against Dez for wanting out of Dallas.

Do you think he said no to the Ravens because he isn't sure the QB situation? Maybe thought the long term offer was too low?

86WARD
07-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Dez didn’t want to leave Dallas. They cut him out of the blue. They didn’t offer a restructure or extension, just cut him. That’s why he’s so pissed at Dallas.

The Ravens offered him that deal a couple weeks before the draft so the QB situation was Flacco only at that time. Initial reports were that he was waiting for another NFC East team to offer him a deal...

Mojouw
07-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Dez didn’t want to leave Dallas. They cut him out of the blue. They didn’t offer a restructure or extension, just cut him. That’s why he’s so pissed at Dallas.

The Ravens offered him that deal a couple weeks before the draft so the QB situation was Flacco only at that time. Initial reports were that he was waiting for another NFC East team to offer him a deal...

He needs a one year "prove it" deal on a good offense. Bryant spent most of his career as a downfield contested catch/fade route guy. Then a series of injuries and Prescott at QB sent his production into nosedive. Bryant needs to prove to the rest of the league that he still has some athleticism/explosion and has the ability to adjust his game to other ways of getting open and making an impact.

I think a motivated and healthy Dez Bryant can have a significant impact for a team in 2018. I just don't know if the Steelers are that team.

DesertSteel
07-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah, he had $7million offer from Ravens, who ended up with Willie Snead and now he might end up with $3million deal? Dez had good seasons with Romo, but Dak Prescott seemed to look more to Witten and Beasley, so I don't hold anything against Dez for wanting out of Dallas.

Do you think he said no to the Ravens because he isn't sure the QB situation? Maybe thought the long term offer was too low?
I really think he thought the market for his services was going to be much bigger at that time. <crickets>

86WARD
07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
He needs a one year "prove it" deal on a good offense. Bryant spent most of his career as a downfield contested catch/fade route guy. Then a series of injuries and Prescott at QB sent his production into nosedive. Bryant needs to prove to the rest of the league that he still has some athleticism/explosion and has the ability to adjust his game to other ways of getting open and making an impact.

I think a motivated and healthy Dez Bryant can have a significant impact for a team in 2018. I just don't know if the Steelers are that team.

He has a chip on his shoulder so a one year “prove it deal” would be ideal for any team. The more I think about it, the more I would embrace a team friendly deal to bring him in.

Mojouw
07-30-2018, 06:35 PM
He has a chip on his shoulder so a one year “prove it deal” would be ideal for any team. The more I think about it, the more I would embrace a team friendly deal to bring him in.

But is a one year rental of a diminished Dez Bryant worth "hurting" the growth and development of JuJu and Washington?

On the other hand, if reports of Dez Bryant dominant WR are greatly exaggerated and his lack of production is more due to Dak not challenging DBs down the field -- well, oh my!

Long story short, I can come up with a ton of reasons why it is not a great idea. But I wouldn't hate it if it happened.

I don't think it would happen until much deeper into the preseason. The team would need to free up some cash and signing Dez would likely cap them out. I suspect that they won't want to do that until they can get more comfortable with the rest of the roster.

ShoeHorn
07-30-2018, 07:05 PM
I don’t know why more people aren’t intrigued by this. Even at 75% of his former self, he would be a beast as like the 4th option on this team in the passing game. With defenses focused on AB, Juju and Bell, Dez would be 1 on 1 all day. And if it doesn’t work out just cut him.

j-d-s
07-30-2018, 10:20 PM
It basically just comes down to how much he costs, in my opinion. For 5 million or less I'd sign him. We'd instantly have the best receiving corps in the league, by far. Good luck trying to cover AB, Juju AND Dez.

86WARD
08-01-2018, 01:12 PM
But is a one year rental of a diminished Dez Bryant worth "hurting" the growth and development of JuJu and Washington?

On the other hand, if reports of Dez Bryant dominant WR are greatly exaggerated and his lack of production is more due to Dak not challenging DBs down the field -- well, oh my!

Long story short, I can come up with a ton of reasons why it is not a great idea. But I wouldn't hate it if it happened.

I don't think it would happen until much deeper into the preseason. The team would need to free up some cash and signing Dez would likely cap them out. I suspect that they won't want to do that until they can get more comfortable with the rest of the roster.

I’m not convinced his skills are diminishing and I’m not sure I’m convinced it would hurt the growth of JuJu.

If it’s for one season, I can live with Washington being a potential #4 WR for 2018. It didn’t hurt AB or Emmanuel Sanders to be behind Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, ARE, Arnaz Battle...I think Tyler Grisham was above Brown at one point...lol.

Mojouw
08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
I’m not convinced his skills are diminishing and I’m not sure I’m convinced it would hurt the growth of JuJu.

If it’s for one season, I can live with Washington being a potential #4 WR for 2018. It didn’t hurt AB or Emmanuel Sanders to be behind Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, ARE, Arnaz Battle...I think Tyler Grisham was above Brown at one point...lol.

I guess it all comes down to who you believe. Bryant claims he is still a beast. Stats and the Cowboys claim he is not very good anymore.

This is a biased take: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article210310034.html but some of the information is pretty bad.

Hasn't had a 1000 yard season since 2014.

Cowboys top scout claims that Bryant can no longer win one on one, can't separate, can't get open deep, and runs bad routes along with other holes in his game.

Now, either they are throwing Dez to the wolves to protect Dak P or Dez Bryant is mostly name and not much game anymore due to injuries and never really learning how to be a good all round WR.

I guess the Steelers could pay their money and find out -- but why?

However, if Washington struggles in preseason, then I might sing a different tune.

DesertSteel
08-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Dez's big contract days are over. If he realizes that (probably not) then he can reinvent himself into a #2 for 3-4 years and make $4-5M a year at it. His 'prove-it' year needs to be more about showing he can be a #2 or even #3 than he's still a #1.

HollywoodSteel
08-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Dez claims he wants to play for the Steelers.

He knows AB is on the team... he really does for sure. They are even good friends.

He knows his role will be reduced. NO ONE in the NFL is a number 1 over AB.

Take this for what it’s worth but Tony Romo claims Dez has pro bowl seasons left in him and that THE SYSTEM IN DALLAS is the problem. Romo has close ties to the Cowboys and wouldn’t take Dez’s side if it weren’t true, or if he was so bad in the locker room that Romo would be in his corner.

I’m not a bit worried about Dez’s attitude. We have enough talent at that position to ignore him or cut him at any time and he’ll KNOW THAT. He would be on a one year deal, fishing for a big deal. He will be a choir boy... or DO cut or ignore him.

Back to reduced role... he is smart to NOT be a number one receiver. He has the best chance of BECOMING a number 1 on his NEXT DEAL if he’s on a team where teams have to cover AB. So when we DO throw to him, mostly as a GREAT red zone target, he will look awesome to other teams. They won’t judge him on his total numbers. They’ll judge him on how he performs.

Plus better for his safety and wear and tear, to NOT be on the field on the time.

The only factor to consider is price. Also I suppose you can consider that we’ll be cutting a receiver who plays on special teams. We’ll live.

Now the money issue sucks because we are against the cap and thin at other positions, while having too many receivers than we can keep already. If we need to find money to replace an injured player, we won’t have it if we already spent it on Dez.

THAT is the reason the Steelers won’t sign him... unless we suffer an injury to one of our top 3 or 4 receivers.

At league minimum... man, it would nice. And if we could take him instead of Eli Rogers at this point... at a SERIOUS bargain ( which IS possible given that the Steelers are PERFECT for Dez, in my opinion).

HollywoodSteel
08-04-2018, 05:38 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Dez-Bryant-apparently-wants-to-join-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-120360499/Amp/

st33lersguy
08-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Here's an idea let's use the remaining salary cap to sign the best linebacker (inside or outside) who will agree to sign with the team at a price that will keep them under the cap. Dez at this point is basically an older, slower Martavis Bryant with a different first name who hasn't been good for at least a couple years now

Craic
08-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Here's an idea let's use the remaining salary cap to sign the best linebacker (inside or outside) who will agree to sign with the team at a price that will keep them under the cap. Dez at this point is basically an older, slower Martavis Bryant with a different first name who hasn't been good for at least a couple years now

But why? It's pretty clear this defense is trying to move away from the traditional middle linebacker position and use it on when necessary. It makes their draft and FA acquisitions make a lot more sense as well. Get a MLB that can fill a hole in the roster (Bostic) and play decent football for twenty snaps a game, and then invest draft picks on big safeties who can tackle coming downhill because they're going to see the field more often than the MLBs in a 3-4. I've seen some guestimations that put our base 3-4 on the field this season only around 25 percent of the time. I'd much rather put a good portion of the remaining cap money on a player that is going to see the field more than twenty-five percent of defensive (or offensive) snaps.

st33lersguy
08-04-2018, 10:18 PM
But why? It's pretty clear this defense is trying to move away from the traditional middle linebacker position and use it on when necessary. It makes their draft and FA acquisitions make a lot more sense as well. Get a MLB that can fill a hole in the roster (Bostic) and play decent football for twenty snaps a game, and then invest draft picks on big safeties who can tackle coming downhill because they're going to see the field more often than the MLBs in a 3-4. I've seen some guestimations that put our base 3-4 on the field this season only around 25 percent of the time. I'd much rather put a good portion of the remaining cap money on a player that is going to see the field more than twenty-five percent of defensive (or offensive) snaps.

I'm not talking just inside linebacker, I am talking outside linebacker/edge rusher as well (an extremely thin group with 1 player that is any good which amazingly went unaddressed). Plus better LB play and depth is probably better than plugging a bunch of defensive backs in to play run defense and hoping they can do a linebacker's job, particularly a rookie safety that already has to learn to play safety and will now play linebacker as part of some unproven experimental defense that Keith Butler is trying to pull out of thin air in hopes of not getting fired

Steeldude
08-05-2018, 03:07 AM
No. He is a cancer.

hawaiiansteeler
08-05-2018, 05:52 PM
No. He is a cancer.

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_scale,w_912,h_516,c_fill,g_auto/shape/cover/sport/5ad0f3ed3a9ff14d00000001.png