PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Eli Rogers signs with Steelers

86WARD
07-21-2018, 11:49 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers will report to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe on Wednesday for the start of their 2018 training camp and it’s beginning to look more and more like wide receiver Eli Rogers won’t be on the initial 90-man roster come that time.

According to a Saturday morning report by Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rogers, who has spent the last three seasons with the Steelers after being originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of Louisville, is scheduled to work out Sunday for the Kansas City Chiefs. Rogers was not restricted tendered by the Steelers this offseason due to his injury.

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/07/report-wr-eli-rogers-has-sunday-workout-scheduled-with-chiefs/

Mojouw
07-21-2018, 11:53 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers will report to Saint Vincent College in Latrobe on Wednesday for the start of their 2018 training camp and it’s beginning to look more and more like wide receiver Eli Rogers won’t be on the initial 90-man roster come that time.

According to a Saturday morning report by Adam Schefter of ESPN, Rogers, who has spent the last three seasons with the Steelers after being originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of Louisville, is scheduled to work out Sunday for the Kansas City Chiefs. Rogers was not restricted tendered by the Steelers this offseason due to his injury.

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/07/report-wr-eli-rogers-has-sunday-workout-scheduled-with-chiefs/

Meh. I like Eli Rogers, but am not really disturbed if he leaves. Somewhere along the line, another youngish WR that runs decent routes will emerge on the Steelers 90 man or get cut loose by another team. Additionally, if they are actually serious about given Q Henderson a shot, then he and Eli would be slotted for the same role.

THe biggest negative is the WR corps is shaping up to be really inexperienced. But I keep worrying about that and it keeps not mattering.

DesertSteel
07-21-2018, 12:30 PM
He never took the next step last year and faded to black................

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Apparently not coming back well after his injury. I hope he catches on somewhere, as its a shame to see a guy like him have his career cut short by injury. He was an emerging slot WR.

I think Marcus Tucker has a chance, but only if they keep 6WR. Brown, JuJu, Washington, Hunter and DHB are the likely top 5.

Dwinsgames
07-21-2018, 01:37 PM
Apparently not coming back well after his injury. I hope he catches on somewhere, as its a shame to see a guy like him have his career cut short by injury. He was an emerging slot WR.

I think Marcus Tucker has a chance, but only if they keep 6WR. Brown, JuJu, Washington, Hunter and DHB are the likely top 5.

I know I say it every year but I believe this is the year DHB goes ...

sure he is a ST guy but with all the new S added I think we got that role covered Berhe (https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/nat-berhe/) is a quality ST player and I think we will come to find out so is Marcus Allen

86WARD
07-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Rogers, supposedly, has workouts scheduled with Oakland and Cleveland as well. A receiving Corp of Eli Rogers, Martavis Bryant and Amari Cooper doesn’t sound terrible if Rogers is healthy and Bryant stays straight. But a Gordon, Landry, Coleman and Rogers could arguably be one of the best in the league...

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2018, 03:55 PM

sure he is a ST guy but with all the new S added I think we got that role covered Berhe (https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/nat-berhe/) is a quality ST player and I think we will come to find out so is Marcus Allen

I agree with you, I say it every year but Tomlin's most favorite players in the NFL are Mike Vick and DHB. I just don't see him not making the 53 man roster despite younger players being able to deliver the skills that he brings to the team.

pczach
07-21-2018, 06:15 PM
DHB is tougher to kill than Michael Myers.

:chuckle:

Dwinsgames
07-21-2018, 06:18 PM
DHB is tougher to kill than Michael Myers.:chuckle:

:old:

pczach
07-21-2018, 06:26 PM
:old:

Just because I made a 40 year old reference doesn't mean I'm old...………..Ok......yes it does.

https://media.giphy.com/media/CPjyNsq2DDaXm/giphy.gif

Dwinsgames
07-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Just because I made a 40 year old reference doesn't mean I'm old...………..Ok......yes it does.

https://media.giphy.com/media/CPjyNsq2DDaXm/giphy.gif

you're not alonein the old age department

teegre
07-21-2018, 09:08 PM
But a Gordon, Landry, Coleman and Rogers could arguably be one of the best in the league...

Add Saquon Barkley to the mix, and the Browns have the best complimentary skill players in the NFL.

Oh... right. :rofl2:

Dwinsgames
07-21-2018, 09:26 PM
way off topic but speaking of Cleveland ... I still can not believe they didn't take Bradley Chubb at 4 ...what a pair of bookends they would have if they would have ...

but the browns being the browns , didnt take the best QB when they had the #1 over all pick and didnt take the best player on the board ( and perhaps in the draft ) when he was there at pick 4 ....

so once again they screwed up not once but twice in the first round ... talk about deja vu

teegre
07-21-2018, 09:43 PM
way off topic but speaking of Cleveland ... I still can not believe they didn't take Bradley Chubb at 4 ...what a pair of bookends they would have if they would have ...

but the browns being the browns , didnt take the best QB when they had the #1 over all pick and didnt take the best player on the board ( and perhaps in the draft ) when he was there at pick 4 ....

so once again they screwed up not once but twice in the first round ... talk about deja vu

As an analyst stated during the draft:

“The best two players in the draft went #2 & #3... but, unfortunately for the Browns, they were selecting #1 & #4.”

:rofl2:

teegre
07-22-2018, 03:24 AM
As an analyst stated during the draft:

“The best two players in the draft went #2 & #3... but, unfortunately for the Browns, they were selecting #1 & #4.”

:rofl2:

Whoops!!!

That should have said #2 (Barkley) and #5 (Chubb).

BlackAndGold
07-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Marcus Tucker now has his shot to make the 53 as a slot receiver.

Question now is who will return punts? Rogers took over last season for AB and looked well. So Quadree Henderson has a chance.

pczach
07-22-2018, 08:09 AM
JuJu is going to be an excellent slot receiver. I think it could be AB and Washington outside, and JuJu in the slot much of the time. Having JuJu in the slot also gives them a big, physical player that can help block in the running game. Larry Fitzgerald rejuvenated his career by moving into the slot and playing that physical role with the Cardinals.

I love the top 3 WR and believe they will be dynamite when Washington gets completely up to speed.

I wish Rogers the best. It sucks when a player gets a major injury and has to fight through that to regain employment at a reduced rate.

steelreserve
07-22-2018, 09:42 AM

At this point, if we keep DHB, we're basically carrying four receivers because his days as a legitimate WR are long gone.

Nonetheless, I am convinced that's exactly what we'll do. Better hope nobody gets hurt ...

Fire Goodell
07-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Whoops!!!

That should have said #2 (Barkley) and #5 (Chubb).

I'm glad the Browns were too stupid to draft Chubb. Adding him could have made Cleveland's D-Line downright scary

Born2Steel
07-22-2018, 09:23 PM
AB, JuJu, Hunter, DHB, Washington, Tucker, J. Thomas, Quad, and Tevin Jones. Out of these 9 names, yes I would keep DHB. Quad is only 5'8" and sub 200lbs. We already know who Justin Hunter is on the football field. Thomas and Tucker are a couple smaller guys that have some experience in this offense but they didn't beat out Rogers before. I'm somewhat familiar with Tevin Jones because he played for my school but I don't expect anything eye popping. Unless I'm missing a piece DHB currently has that 6th roster spot.

Dwinsgames
07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
AB, JuJu, Hunter, DHB, Washington, Tucker, J. Thomas, Quad, and Tevin Jones. Out of these 9 names, yes I would keep DHB. Quad is only 5'8" and sub 200lbs. We already know who Justin Hunter is on the football field. Thomas and Tucker are a couple smaller guys that have some experience in this offense but they didn't beat out Rogers before. I'm somewhat familiar with Tevin Jones because he played for my school but I don't expect anything eye popping. Unless I'm missing a piece DHB currently has that 6th roster spot.

honestly Hunter has more upside than DHB at this juncture considering he is not needed for ST with the additions of Marcus Allen and Berhe ...DHB best asset was speed , speed I am not so sure he possesses at this juncture ( 31 + ) Hunter is much younger & more talented on paper .... push come to shove I do not want the game riding on the ability of either of them having to make a play because they likely will drop the ball .... so there is that

teegre
07-22-2018, 10:03 PM
I'm glad the Browns were too stupid to draft Chubb. Adding him could have made Cleveland's D-Line downright scary

Yep. Garrett & Chubb would have been the best pass-rushing duo in the NFL. :scared:

hawaiiansteeler
07-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Yep. Garrett & Chubb would have been the best pass-rushing duo in the NFL. :scared:

now it may very well be Von Miller & Chubb...

teegre
07-22-2018, 10:11 PM

Indeed... but, thankfully we don’t have to play them twice per season.

Dwinsgames
07-22-2018, 10:58 PM

will be interesting to see who the Bronco let go of , they are absolutely LOADED at OLB

Chubb
Jewell
Barrett
Miller
Ray
Williams

and others

cant keep me all

hawaiiansteeler
07-22-2018, 11:12 PM
will be interesting to see who the Bronco let go of , they are absolutely LOADED at OLB

Chubb
Jewell
Barrett
Miller
Ray
Williams

they'll probably slide Jewell to ILB...

BlackAndGold
07-22-2018, 11:35 PM

Mojouw
07-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Chubb
Jewell
Barrett
Miller
Ray
Williams

and others

cant keep me all

Ray is likely out due to injury, ineffectiveness, and the fact that they declined his 5th year option.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/10302/shane-ray

Dwinsgames
07-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Ray is likely out due to injury, ineffectiveness, and the fact that they declined his 5th year option.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/10302/shane-ray

Bud Dupree like numbers meh

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2018, 10:16 AM

I forgot about Henderson. He could be the final WR to make the 53 and get punt and kickoff duties(although the kickoff is rarely returned these days).

Cyphon25
07-23-2018, 10:30 AM
honestly Hunter has more upside than DHB at this juncture considering he is not needed for ST with the additions of Marcus Allen and Berhe ...DHB best asset was speed , speed I am not so sure he possesses at this juncture ( 31 + ) Hunter is much younger & more talented on paper .... push come to shove I do not want the game riding on the ability of either of them having to make a play because they likely will drop the ball .... so there is that

Neither really have "upside". Hunter has the physical traits but has only ever performed consistently during practice and offers no ST value at all. I know your point is that we have other guys to take over ST duties but you still don't keep 5th and 6th guys who offer no ST value, at least typically. DHB on the other hand is still one of the best punt cover guys in the NFL and is (most likely) still the fastest guy on the Steelers roster. When Shazier, AB, and whomever else raced each other a year or 2 ago they wouldn't even let DHB in the race because they knew he would beat them.

On top of that people still write DHB off but with that speed he remains a good guy to send on a vertical route and take the top off of the defense. His speed is hard to match and despite his history of drops early in his career he has very few drops as a Steeler. Add onto that his locker room and coaching presence and there is no way he goes and shouldn't. There are 3 WR's who deserve to make it over DHB. AB, JuJu, and Washington. DHB is the 4th. The competition for 5th, 6th and beyond are all of the other guys though it will likely be Tucker and Hunter.

they'll probably slide Jewell to ILB...

That is already Jewells position no? I don't think he ever played OLB.

Still salty the Steelers didn't take him.

86WARD
07-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Taking Bryant and Rogers out of that mix makes that list look less than impressive...

Dwinsgames
07-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Neither really have "upside". Hunter has the physical traits but has only ever performed consistently during practice and offers no ST value at all. I know your point is that we have other guys to take over ST duties but you still don't keep 5th and 6th guys who offer no ST value, at least typically. DHB on the other hand is still one of the best punt cover guys in the NFL and is (most likely) still the fastest guy on the Steelers roster. When Shazier, AB, and whomever else raced each other a year or 2 ago they wouldn't even let DHB in the race because they knew he would beat them.

On top of that people still write DHB off but with that speed he remains a good guy to send on a vertical route and take the top off of the defense. His speed is hard to match and despite his history of drops early in his career he has very few drops as a Steeler. Add onto that his locker room and coaching presence and there is no way he goes and shouldn't. There are 3 WR's who deserve to make it over DHB. AB, JuJu, and Washington. DHB is the 4th. The competition for 5th, 6th and beyond are all of the other guys though it will likely be Tucker and Hunter.

That is already Jewells position no? I don't think he ever played OLB.

Still salty the Steelers didn't take him.

listed as OLB on broncos team page I do believe , I could be wrong it was late when I looked and I was pretty tired

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Taking Bryant and Rogers out of that mix makes that list look less than impressive...

Do we really want Bryant on his final year of contract and one drug test away from another suspension, in a Steelers jersey? Disgruntled and giving up on deep balls thrown to him, with Ben rolling his eyes at the lack of effort. James Washington is a big upgrade over Bryant.

Eli Rogers....is a #4 WR on this team at best and who knows after the injury. Can easily find somebody to play the #4 WR spot in the NFL. The Steelers WR corps is actually better this year than last season, as Washington will surpass the 50 receptions and 600 yards that Bryant contributed in 2017.

DesertSteel
07-23-2018, 11:57 AM
There are Eli Rogers on every practice squad in the NFL.....

86WARD
07-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Do we really want Bryant on his final year of contract and one drug test away from another suspension, in a Steelers jersey? Disgruntled and giving up on deep balls thrown to him, with Ben rolling his eyes at the lack of effort. James Washington is a big upgrade over Bryant.

Eli Rogers....is a #4 WR on this team at best and who knows after the injury. Can easily find somebody to play the #4 WR spot in the NFL. The Steelers WR corps is actually better this year than last season, as Washington will surpass the 50 receptions and 600 yards that Bryant contributed in 2017.

At the point where this team is primed to make a Super Bowl Run? Of course you want Bryant. Rogers had a lot of potential when he had the ball in his hands, more than any other #4 the Steelers have had on the roster. He had AB type moves out there. He struggled behind the receiving corp to find playing time.

We don’t know that JuJu wasn’t a one hit wonder. We don’t know that Washington isn’t the next Limas Sweed. Until a game is played, they really aren’t better on paper than they were at the end of last season...lol.

Cyphon25
07-23-2018, 12:47 PM
listed as OLB on broncos team page I do believe , I could be wrong it was late when I looked and I was pretty tired

Just checked and you are right. I did see just yesterday one of their writers did a roster projection and had him listed as ILB. It would be odd if they were using him as OLB because that doesn't really fit for him. He is most definitely suited for ILB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2018, 01:07 PM
At the point where this team is primed to make a Super Bowl Run? Of course you want Bryant. Rogers had a lot of potential when he had the ball in his hands, more than any other #4 the Steelers have had on the roster. He had AB type moves out there. He struggled behind the receiving corp to find playing time.

We don’t know that JuJu wasn’t a one hit wonder. We don’t know that Washington isn’t the next Limas Sweed. Until a game is played, they really aren’t better on paper than they were at the end of last season...lol.

Why would we think that JuJu is a 1 hit wonder? He showed in college all the skills, attitude and work ethic that he showed his rookie season and that contributed to his success. He does the right things and that is why he is successful.

Bryant is behind Amari Cooper and Jordy Nelson on the depth chart, and all he has shown is that he complains, pouts and smokes weed when he doesn't get what he wants.

Lets wait until week 8 of the season and see if Bryant is pouting, suspended or both and we will also see if James Washington has more receptions than Bryant by that point. I'm willing to bet that Ben is gonna love Washington and the way he comes to practice every day with his hard work attitude and by default will have more trust in James Washington than he ever did in Martavis Bryant.

Fire Goodell
07-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Yep, though I'm glad we won't have to face that 2x a year lol. I pretty much started celebrating when they picked Denzel Ward instead. Yeah he's a good corner, but I think Chubb could have made their D even better. An elite level pass rushing DL has a way of improving all the other units by making the opposing QB's life hell. But hey, count on Cleveland to mess everything up :chuckle:

86WARD
07-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Why would we think that JuJu is a 1 hit wonder? He showed in college all the skills, attitude and work ethic that he showed his rookie season and that contributed to his success. He does the right things and that is why he is successful.

Bryant is behind Amari Cooper and Jordy Nelson on the depth chart, and all he has shown is that he complains, pouts and smokes weed when he doesn't get what he wants.

Lets wait until week 8 of the season and see if Bryant is pouting, suspended or both and we will also see if James Washington has more receptions than Bryant by that point. I'm willing to bet that Ben is gonna love Washington and the way he comes to practice every day with his hard work attitude and by default will have more trust in James Washington than he ever did in Martavis Bryant.

You see it year after year where players come into the league, have a great year and then vanish into nowhere-ville. It's not like its a new concept. It happens a lot actually. Remember the name Kendrell Bell? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility and it's no guarantee, at this point, that he's a sure thing. Washington...well, he's a rookie and we've seen quite a few rookies not pan out...(again, Limas Sweed and then there's Troy Edwards, Sammie Coates, Markus Wheaton, Willie Reid, Martavis Bryant (lol)). The only sure thing is AB. Having extra talent at the WR-Corps isn't a bad thing and your blind if that group is better off at this point right now, without a talent like Bryant, than with him. Bryant's status on the Raiders roster has no bearing on the Steelers...other than it takes a #2 talent and puts it on another roster.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2018, 07:00 PM
You see it year after year where players come into the league, have a great year and then vanish into nowhere-ville. It's not like its a new concept. It happens a lot actually. Remember the name Kendrell Bell? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility and it's no guarantee, at this point, that he's a sure thing. Washington...well, he's a rookie and we've seen quite a few rookies not pan out...(again, Limas Sweed and then there's Troy Edwards, Sammie Coates, Markus Wheaton, Willie Reid, Martavis Bryant (lol)). The only sure thing is AB. Having extra talent at the WR-Corps isn't a bad thing and your blind if that group is better off at this point right now, without a talent like Bryant, than with him. Bryant's status on the Raiders roster has no bearing on the Steelers...other than it takes a #2 talent and puts it on another roster.

I might be misunderstanding here. Are you saying that the Steelers WR corps is worse off this season because JuJu could "vanish into nowhere-ville" and that it would be better if a reliable talented WR like Bryant was on the Steelers roster instead of the Rookie Washington?

I personally trust going forward with JuJu than Bryant. I also trust going forward with the Belietnikoff winner in Washington, than Bryant. Again, by week 8 of this NFL season, James Washington will have more receptions than Martavis Bryant. I am confident in that statement.

Cyphon25
07-23-2018, 07:45 PM
I might be misunderstanding here. Are you saying that the Steelers WR corps is worse off this season because JuJu could "vanish into nowhere-ville" and that it would be better if a reliable talented WR like Bryant was on the Steelers roster instead of the Rookie Washington?

I personally trust going forward with JuJu than Bryant. I also trust going forward with the Belietnikoff winner in Washington, than Bryant. Again, by week 8 of this NFL season, James Washington will have more receptions than Martavis Bryant. I am confident in that statement.

I think the idea is that we were better on paper last year. Keep in mind when Bryant went out there were light whispers of Randy Moss comparisons. The dude was an absolute beast for a stretch there. Now we were getting him fresh off of suspension and in the best shape he had ever been in. There was a ton of optimism. Hindsight tells us that optimism was poorly placed but that is hindsight.

However, I think you can basically swap out Bryant and JuJu. We just watched JuJu ball out and now there is a ton of optimism for him. Washington is now the JuJu of last year. So for me we are in almost the exact same position outside of the fact that Rogers isn't on the roster. So this year is just slightly behind last year in terms of WR depth on paper. Not like Rogers is a dominant guy but he was a solid WR and you knew what you were getting with him.

I would bet on this year ultimately turning out better than last year but talking purely on paper I think last year had the edge to start the season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2018, 10:11 PM
I think the idea is that we were better on paper last year. Keep in mind when Bryant went out there were light whispers of Randy Moss comparisons. The dude was an absolute beast for a stretch there. Now we were getting him fresh off of suspension and in the best shape he had ever been in. There was a ton of optimism. Hindsight tells us that optimism was poorly placed but that is hindsight.

1. being better on paper doesn't count for squat. Game is played on turf and not on paper and Bryant's weakest ability was avail-ability. Can't help the team from the bench or suspension.

2. Were there really whispers of Randy Moss comparisons? Who on crack was thinking that after Bryant had his mom move in next to him in Pittsburgh and he still couldn't avoid multiple violations and a 12 month suspension.

3. Hindsight and optimism. If anybody read any of Bryant's interviews after his suspension, the would see that he never followed the Steelers, kept in touch with the Steelers and didn't think he owed any Steeler teammates an explanation for his actions that got him suspended for a year. Any optimism that a guy with that kind of attitude would comeback and be a good teammate and not a distraction, is misguided optimism IMO.

When Bryant was drafted in the 4th round as a junior, I said we got a steal because he was behind DeAndre Hopkins at Clemson and hadn't been the feature guy yet. I didn't know his past and addictions. To paraphrase description about draft bust Alonzo Spellman...…"Martavis Bryant has the skills of a world beater, but the mind of an egg-beater". The Steelers are better on the field and in the locker room with him gone.

hawaiiansteeler
07-23-2018, 10:17 PM
The Steelers are better on the field and in the locker room with him gone.

I couldn't possibly agree with this statement more!

Cyphon25
07-23-2018, 11:36 PM
1. being better on paper doesn't count for squat. Game is played on turf and not on paper and Bryant's weakest ability was avail-ability. Can't help the team from the bench or suspension.

Couldn't agree more. I am just letting you know why people are concerned with this years WR group and weren't so much last year. Because going in we had more "answers" than we do this year.

2. Were there really whispers of Randy Moss comparisons? Who on crack was thinking that after Bryant had his mom move in next to him in Pittsburgh and he still couldn't avoid multiple violations and a 12 month suspension.

It wasn't anything like "this guy is the next Moss" but when he hit his peak and with his physical skillset being what it is, the conversation was brought up like "this guy has the potential to be Moss like". So nothing crack about it, it was an apt comparison.

3. Hindsight and optimism. If anybody read any of Bryant's interviews after his suspension, the would see that he never followed the Steelers, kept in touch with the Steelers and didn't think he owed any Steeler teammates an explanation for his actions that got him suspended for a year. Any optimism that a guy with that kind of attitude would comeback and be a good teammate and not a distraction, is misguided optimism IMO.

Maybe for you sure, but others were being more positive about the whole thing. Turns out for the most part they were right. There were attitude problems but he didn't get suspended again and near the end of the season he was getting back to form. In fairness, they were wrong as well. Some were expecting really big things from a numbers standpoint and until late he never really got on the same page with Ben.

The Steelers are better on the field and in the locker room with him gone.

Definitely up for debate. If he kept his attitude in check we would be better on the field with him. The problem is we never know where his head is going to be at.

All that said the Steelers made the right move. Getting a 3rd for him was really good.

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 08:37 AM
far to much hype for me on a guy who is 1 toke away from flipping burgers for a living

teegre
07-24-2018, 10:08 AM
I’m with Dwins that Berhe can easily replace DHB on special teams. Berhe is nicknamed “The Missle” for a reason.

That said... Tomlin loves DHB.

Born2Steel
07-24-2018, 11:34 AM
DHB is a 10 year vet and all he does mostly is play ST well. He's a veteran voice in the WR room, and I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him as a teammate. Currently on paper we have a 2nd year, a rookie, and Justin Hunter among our top4 WRs. Just saying I would not throw away DHB just to open a roster spot.

86WARD
07-24-2018, 11:37 AM

No. That’s not what I am saying at all. I’m not comparing JuJu to Bryant. JuJu really isn’t part of the discussion here because he’s been on the roster for both seasons. I’m also not saying that Washington won’t be better that Bryant, JuJu or AB for that matter. Hopefully he is, but we don’t know that he will.

All I am saying is that the roster as is on paper, with the subtraction of Bryant and Rogers is not as good as it would be with them on the roster nor as good as it was at the end of last season. Added talent to a roster is never a bad thing. Washington is an unknown. No one knows what he’s going to do. Could be early years Bryant, could be latter years Bryant or worse, Troy Edwards. No one knows.

Cyphon25
07-24-2018, 11:45 AM
I’m with Dwins that Berhe can easily replace DHB on special teams. Berhe is nicknamed “The Missle” for a reason.

That said... Tomlin loves DHB.

I am pretty sure Behre was brought in to replace Golden. So that still leaves DHB's spot for himself or someone else.

Born2Steel
07-24-2018, 11:47 AM
No. That’s not what I am saying at all. I’m not comparing JuJu to Bryant. JuJu really isn’t part of the discussion here because he’s been on the roster for both seasons. I’m also not saying that Washington won’t be better that Bryant, JuJu or AB for that matter. Hopefully he is, but we don’t know that he will.

All I am saying is that the roster as is on paper, with the subtraction of Bryant and Rogers is not as good as it would be with them on the roster nor as good as it was at the end of last season. Added talent to a roster is never a bad thing. Washington is an unknown. No one knows what he’s going to do. Could be early years Bryant, could be latter years Bryant or worse, Troy Edwards. No one knows.

I can agree with this. 1&2 are AB and JuJu, everyone agrees. #3 goes from Bryant to Washington/Hunter. #4 goes from Rogers to Washington/Hunter/DHB.

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 12:11 PM
I am pretty sure Behre was brought in to replace Golden. So that still leaves DHB's spot for himself or someone else.

Marcus Allen ( no not that one the other one )

Cyphon25
07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Marcus Allen ( no not that one the other one )

He might not even make the 53.

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 01:33 PM
He might not even make the 53.

he will make it

Cyphon25
07-24-2018, 02:52 PM
he will make it

So will DHB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Washington is an unknown. No one knows what he’s going to do. Could be early years Bryant, could be latter years Bryant or worse, Troy Edwards. No one knows.

Thanks for the clarification of your position. It helped me understand where you are coming from.

As for Washington, I'm not as unsure of what he will do as you and others may be and below is why:

-Washington lead FBS with 20.9 yard per reception average in 2018 and 13TD.
-lead FBS in2015 with most TD of 70 yards or longer(4)
-doubters will point to his 4.5 combine speed, but he was clocked as the fastest player on the Senior Bowl field in pads and was state 100m and triple jump champ in highschool.
-displayed great hands at combine workout, ran solid routes and tracked the deep ball naturally, which drew praise from Mike Mayock and Michael Irvin on NFL network.
-won many of his 1 on 1 battles in Senior Bowl practice and showed ability to work from boundary WR and in slot.
-humble and hardworking from growing up working on his parents farm.
-strong hands and high points footballs well, challenging for 50-50 catches.

As much as I think the Steelers are better by subtracting the malcontent Bryant from the roster, they drafted a fast, strong, sure-handed, hard working, WR that scored 38 TD's in his career in James Washington and I think he will have over 50 receptions and 800+ receiving yards, barring injury this season.

Dwinsgames
07-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Eli left KC with no deal .... on to Cleveland

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the clarification of your position. It helped me understand where you are coming from.

As for Washington, I'm not as unsure of what he will do as you and others may be and below is why:

-doubters will point to his 4.5 combine speed, but he was clocked as the fastest player on the Senior Bowl field in pads and was state 100m and triple jump champ in highschool.
-displayed great hands at combine workout, ran solid routes and tracked the deep ball naturally, which drew praise from Mike Mayock and Michael Irvin on NFL network.
-won many of his 1 on 1 battles in Senior Bowl practice and showed ability to work from boundary WR and in slot.

As much as I think the Steelers are better by subtracting the malcontent Bryant from the roster, they drafted a fast, strong, sure-handed, hard working, WR that scored 38 TD's in his career in James Washington and I think he will have over 50 receptions and 800+ receiving yards, barring injury this season.

spot on , I am a big believer in the farmer ( no not Danny Farmer ) James Washington and his agricultural degree ... he is a worker and his major proves that

Mojouw
07-24-2018, 05:41 PM

The only thing I worry about with Washington is the learning curve. He will see a totally different style of DB in the NFL than he did in his wide open college conference. How does he do with jams at the line, physical re-routing inside 5 yards, etc. That and I have read several pre-draft reviews that argued that he ran one route well and had a ton to learn with the rest of the route tree.

All that being said, how much of that could have described every recent Steelers WR and look how that mostly turned out really well. I'm gonna trust the process but am only cautiously optimistic.

86WARD
07-24-2018, 06:47 PM

The good thing is the Steelers track record has been pretty damn good with WRs in the draft...so that’s a huge plus imo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-24-2018, 08:03 PM
Eli left KC with no deal .... on to Cleveland

- - - Updated - - -

spot on , I am a big believer in the farmer ( no not Danny Farmer ) James Washington and his agricultural degree ... he is a worker and his major proves that
Nice Danny Farmer reference !! #83 from UCLA.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I worry about with Washington is the learning curve. He will see a totally different style of DB in the NFL than he did in his wide open college conference. How does he do with jams at the line, physical re-routing inside 5 yards, etc. That and I have read several pre-draft reviews that argued that he ran one route well and had a ton to learn with the rest of the route tree.

All that being said, how much of that could have described every recent Steelers WR and look how that mostly turned out really well. I'm gonna trust the process but am only cautiously optimistic.

Sure he is gonna see some CB that jam at the LOS and there will be a learning curve, but if JW can throw around tractor tires and hay bales most of his life, I think he can learn to defeat a jam and get upfield.

- - - Updated - - -

The good thing is the Steelers track record has been pretty damn good with WRs in the draft...so that’s a huge plus imo.
Yes, I agree

Big thing that sticks with me is Performance = Ability x Opportunity x Effort. Washington is loaded with ability and Effort, so he will just need the opportunity to excel. Others like Bryant lacked the effort, or Coates lacked the ability. I think the kid is gonna be just what the Steelers need.

Mojouw
07-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Nice Danny Farmer reference !! #83 from UCLA.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure he is gonna see some CB that jam at the LOS and there will be a learning curve, but if JW can throw around tractor tires and hay bales most of his life, I think he can learn to defeat a jam and get upfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I agree

Big thing that sticks with me is Performance = Ability x Opportunity x Effort. Washington is loaded with ability and Effort, so he will just need the opportunity to excel. Others like Bryant lacked the effort, or Coates lacked the ability. I think the kid is gonna be just what the Steelers need.

I am not really doubting that Washington can learn, it is just that I will believe it when I see it. So many ways for things to go sideways.

I would add "not stupid" to your equation. I think that Bryant's biggest problem is/was not lack of effort but he isn't clever enough to put together the various parts that go into being a complete NFL WR. As I in I suspect that he barely knows the playbook and has no ability to connect the abstract concepts of # of steps into and out of a break to "doing good on the field" and is assuming that his superior talent will always get him by -- because when has it not?

AtlantaDan
07-25-2018, 08:33 AM
I guess the Chiefs were not brimming with enthusiasm to sign a journeyman slot receiver coming off an ACL tear six months ago

DesertSteel
07-25-2018, 09:52 AM
I guess the Chiefs were not brimming with enthusiasm to sign a journeyman slot receiver coming off an ACL tear six months ago

???? I thought he'd get 4 years and $55M

Dwinsgames
07-25-2018, 10:24 AM

prior reports where he was leaving KC and headed to Cleveland .....

we seen this happen before where plan changed at last min and player came to Pittsburgh and he signed .... so my guess is he will be in Steelers camp tomorrow

steelreserve
07-25-2018, 10:34 AM
???? I thought he'd get 4 years and $55M

They gonna have to pay him 15.

Dwinsgames
07-25-2018, 10:36 AM
They gonna have to pay him 15.

17 he is a #1 punt returner and #2 slot receiver

Dwinsgames
07-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Per Adam Schefter: Eli Rogers is signing a one-year deal with the #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash).

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Per Adam Schefter: Eli Rogers is signing a one-year deal with the #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash).

A chance for him to compete in camp for a spot on the 53. Physically he must not be 100%.

This is why I didn't understand the opinion that the Steelers are better on paper with Rogers in the lineup. He could not even get interest from other teams to join them in their training camp, so he obviously isn't viewed as a top 5WR around the league. Bryant gone and Washington in for him is certainly an upgrade IMO.

Fire Goodell
07-25-2018, 11:46 AM
I never saw anything special with rogers tbh, but he's decent depth that knows our offense. Good signing

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 12:22 PM
I never saw anything special with rogers tbh, but he's decent depth that knows our offense. Good signing

That is because there isn't anything special about his game. However, he offers good depth in the slot and we already know he is capable of starting there as well.

tube517
07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
So, he'll battle Justin Hunter for #4?

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 12:53 PM
So, he'll battle Justin Hunter for #4?

I don't think so because it is 2 different positions. I'd guess the order right now goes:

AB > JuJu > Washington > DHB >= Rogers > Hunter

The wildcard here will be Marcus Tucker I think. If he shows up and does big things he might bump Rogers out. If Washington does what he needs to and becomes the outside starter in 3WR sets that means JuJu is the slot starter and Rogers the primary backup in the slot. DHB and Hunter are both mainly outside guys although DHB can play slot as well.

Hunter is on the outside looking in because he doesn't play ST.

st33lersguy
07-25-2018, 12:59 PM
For a no. 4 wr, hes adequate, and keep in mind, the Steelers (and nfl teams in general) use their no. 4 wr only sparsely. Honestly of all the problems on this team, who plays no. 4 wr is down on the list

tube517
07-25-2018, 02:25 PM
For a no. 4 wr, hes adequate, and keep in mind, the Steelers (and nfl teams in general) use their no. 4 wr only sparsely. Honestly of all the problems on this team, who plays no. 4 wr is down on the list

If Vance Mickey D's stays healthy then #4 will rarely see the field.

86WARD
07-25-2018, 03:38 PM

Even without...Jesse James.

Mojouw
07-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Yes and no. If everyone is healthy for all 16 games, than it won't matter a lick. But if anyone gets hurt, that #4 WR can become important. You can't tell me that Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers being asked to play a big role didn't hurt that 2016 squads performance just a wee bit?

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Yes and no. If everyone is healthy for all 16 games, than it won't matter a lick. But if anyone gets hurt, that #4 WR can become important. You can't tell me that Cobi Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers being asked to play a big role didn't hurt that 2016 squads performance just a wee bit?

They weren't great but just in a nod of fairness to Hamilton that dude made a lot of big 3rd down receptions and I think he had a game winning TD.

Mojouw
07-25-2018, 04:34 PM
They weren't great but just in a nod of fairness to Hamilton that dude made a lot of big 3rd down receptions and I think he had a game winning TD.

Sure. And he also struggled to consistently separate from NFL DBs and he dropped a touchdown in the AFC Championship game.

I realize that squad had other problems and weaknesses, but rolling out a WR corps that featured a ton of inexperience (Hamilton and Coates) caught up with them.

My point being is that if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?

BlackAndGold
07-25-2018, 05:33 PM
I'm glad to see Rogers back but not sure I'd pencil him in as the #4 WR. He tore his ACL 6 months ago, and who knows when he will return.

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2018, 05:59 PM
I'm glad to see Rogers back but not sure I'd pencil him in as the #4 WR. He tore his ACL 6 months ago, and who knows when he will return.

I currently list him at #7, he needs to show he's fully recovered from his ACL injury first.

Cyphon25
07-25-2018, 06:17 PM
if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?

No it is definitely Rogers.

pczach
07-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Sure. And he also struggled to consistently separate from NFL DBs and he dropped a touchdown in the AFC Championship game.

I realize that squad had other problems and weaknesses, but rolling out a WR corps that featured a ton of inexperience (Hamilton and Coates) caught up with them.

My point being is that if I had a choice between Eli Rogers and Cobi Hamilton or Demarcus Ayers as my 4th WR, is it really even a choice?

Don't shortchange Cobi. He dropped 3 touchdown passes and a 2-point conversion.

If I didn't know better, I would swear that Belichick had him on the payroll. :doh2:

AtlantaDan
07-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Certainly not this week

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2018, 09:01 PM

Vance McDonald leads all TE in drop percentage since 2013. Jesse James has more receptions in his first 2 pro seasons, than McDonald has in 5 professional seasons. The fact that such an underperforming 3rd round pick is making $4.3 million this year shows that the thing he should not drop is his agent.

DesertSteel
07-25-2018, 10:51 PM
Finally... Steeler Nation can breath a sigh of relief!!!

steelreserve
07-26-2018, 09:24 AM

It really depends. We don't even know if Rogers can play anymore.

While this is certainly the best way to approach it - give him a look, low risk, possible good insurance/depth of our other options don't work out - it may be more of a longshot than people think.