PDA

View Full Version : Justin Thomas - Steelers WR - 4.35 40

GBMelBlount
07-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Does he need to jump?

Former Georgia Tech QB trying to make the Steelers’ roster as a WR

If you were to talk to any Pittsburgh Steelers fan who was alive for the 1990s team, and asked them what they think of when they think of a quarterback converted to a wide receiver.

The answer is likely one name — Kordell Stewart.

Stewart, who was called “Slash” for all the positions he could play early in this NFL career, captivated the fan base as a rookie, but not as a quarterback, but as a wide receiver. Steward eventually took over at quarterback when Neil O’Donnell left, but many wonder if his career would have been better off had he stayed as a receiver.

Fast forward to 2018, and the Steelers are working on another college quarterback converting to wide receiver. The only difference is the team has no interest in Justin Thomas being anything other than a receiver for the black-and-gold.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/7/1/17522824/ex-georgia-tech-qb-trying-to-make-the-steelers-roster-as-a-wr-justin-thomas-pittsburgh-darryl-drake

86WARD
07-01-2018, 03:26 PM
I actually don't think Kordell. I think Hines Ward, Antwan Randle El and then Kordell...lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-01-2018, 04:36 PM
I actually don't think Kordell. I think Hines Ward, Antwan Randle El and then Kordell...lol.

True, Randle El was the true QB that made the switch to WR. I thought Ward played some RB at Georgia and then WR at Georgia. Justin Thomas??? will he even make the practice squad?

86WARD
07-01-2018, 08:53 PM
True, Randle El was the true QB that made the switch to WR. I thought Ward played some RB at Georgia and then WR at Georgia. Justin Thomas??? will he even make the practice squad?

I think Ward was WR, QB and RB at Georgia. I believe 1995 was his big QB year. But you’re right, RB and WR were his main positions.

DesertSteel
07-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I really don't think of Kordell as a WR at all... just a bad QB.

steelreserve
07-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Well, as far as I know the battle for the 4th/5th(?) WR spots is wide open, so who knows.

DHB is still under contract for this year, so anyone looking to break in to the group would benefit hugely if they were a good special teams player.

As primarily a QB in his career up to this point, I would doubt he has much experience in that regard. So that makes it seem like even more of a longshot. Only if we keep 5 WRs AND he outplays Hunter, etc. by a wide margin.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-03-2018, 12:15 AM
I think DHB is #4 and Hunter #5 and if healthy, Eli Rodgers pushes in there as the #4. The other guy in his 2nd camp that has a chance to beat out Rodgers is Marcus Tucker, so really this kid is gonna be lucky to make it to the practice squad IMO.

DesertSteel
07-05-2018, 08:41 AM
I think DHB is #4 and Hunter #5 and if healthy, Eli Rodgers pushes in there as the #4. The other guy in his 2nd camp that has a chance to beat out Rodgers is Marcus Tucker, so really this kid is gonna be lucky to make it to the practice squad IMO.
I’m sure that making the PS would be a huge win for this kid. That’s a year of development as a WR and a paycheck.