PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Brooks Thinks Steelers Should Prioritize New Deal WIth Big Ben Over Bell

hawaiiansteeler
06-28-2018, 12:23 AM
Bucky Brooks Thinks Steelers Should Prioritize New Deal WIth Big Ben Over Bell

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 27, 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers only have a few weeks left if they intend to sign running back Le’Veon Bell to a long-term contract. If it doesn’t come about by the middle of July, then it is literally not going to happen this year, and the odds of the two sides working out a long-term contract before he hits unrestricted free agency in 2019 are incredibly low.

In other words, we’re getting right to the heart of that sliver of a window that will most likely decide whether or not Bell will be here next year. But Bucky Brooks thinks they should be focusing on getting a deal done with a different player on the roster: quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“Considering the quarterback market is expected to keep rising — with Aaron Rodgers and others poised to get paid in the near future — the Steelers would be wise to pony up big bucks on No. 7 sooner than later”, Brooks wrote recently. “Even before they take care of Bell? Yeah, I think so”.

to read rest of article:

https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/bucky-brooks-thinks-steelers-should-prioritize-new-deal-with-big-ben-over-bell/

st33lersguy
06-28-2018, 07:27 AM
But Davis Carr says Bell and the other stars are carrying Ben, therefore it is more important to sign Bell to a contract

steelreserve
06-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Yeah, word is if we don't, Ben is going to skip training camp and put out a rap album.

AtlantaDan
06-28-2018, 10:25 AM
“Considering the quarterback market is expected to keep rising — with Aaron Rodgers and others poised to get paid in the near future — the Steelers would be wise to pony up big bucks on No. 7 sooner than later”, Brooks wrote recently. “Even before they take care of Bell? Yeah, I think so”.

Because Ben and his agent surely will sign right now, even though they have no incentive to do so, rather than wait for the market rate for QBs to reset at a higher number before seeking to negotiate an extension

Guys like Brooks are blogging about the NFL rather than working as agents or in a front office due to these sorts of clueless observations

steelreserve
06-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Because Ben and his agent surely will sign right now, even though they have no incentive to do so, rather than wait for the market rate for QBs to reset at a higher number before seeking to negotiate an extension

Guys like Brooks are blogging about the NFL rather than working as agents or in a front office due to these sorts of clueless observations

It doesn't seem like going after every penny is really a priority for him - in fact, he's said exactly that:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-football-nfl-pit-roethlisberger/roethlisberger-focused-on-winning-not-contract-iduskbn1je04m

What the article misses completely is that I don't think the Steelers are in any hurry to give a long-term extension, until they figure out whether the guy they just drafted is going to work as the next franchise QB or not. It's a lot easier to make those kinds of decisions when your franchise QB has two years on his contract and then you can decide what to do with it, than when you have 6 years at $20 million per looming over the situation. Much better to have as much flexibility as possible when you're dealing with the biggest question mark you can have.

As of now, they have a ton of options. One-year extensions at a starter's salary; let the current contract run out and try to bring Ben back in a mentor/insurance policy role at like $9 million; a longer-term deal if the new guy sucks; all kinds of stuff. A long-term deal now basically just locks you in to "either the new guy sucks or there's a quarterback controversy with a lot of money and deep-rooted allegiances involved," and the team's hand is forced so that someone gets shoved out the door prematurely.

Also the not insignificant risk that with a large contract comes a large signing bonus, and that could all turn into a massive amount of dead money if Ben retires or suffers a serious injury. A lot of things that wouldn't have ended your career at age 30 can be the last straw at age 37 or 38.

tl;dr - I think the team is in exactly the position it wants to be right now and this year will be key to determining what they do next. Landry Jones had better be out the fucking door so there's no chance he gets in the way of making an intelligent decision.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2018, 11:32 AM

I agree. Brooks still is the guy that said Jarvis Jones has a quick first step that reminded him of Von Miller. :rofl:

One guy who I do like as a talking head is Lewis Riddick. I think he actually knows what he is talking about.

86WARD
06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
I agree. Brooks still is the guy that said Jarvis Jones has a quick first step that reminded him of Von Miller. :rofl:

One guy who I do like as a talking head is Lewis Riddick. I think he actually knows what he is talking about.

Gonzo - Is that Greg Lloyd in your avatar?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Gonzo - Is that Greg Lloyd in your avatar?

Nah, the other #95 at OLB. Alonzo Jackson. :thumbsup:

86WARD
06-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Nah, the other #95 at OLB. Alonzo Jackson. :thumbsup:

Lol. I was going to say he looks really slim...

Six Rings
06-28-2018, 06:57 PM
All this for a back who doesn't hit big plays, averages 4.0 yards a carry and didn't covert in the playoff on 3rd and short and 4th and 1? Fellas, Bell just isn't that good.

Our line, Ben, AB, and Ju-Ju spread the field for him.

pczach
06-29-2018, 05:04 AM
All this for a back who doesn't hit big plays, averages 4.0 yards a carry and didn't covert in the playoff on 3rd and short and 4th and 1? Fellas, Bell just isn't that good.

Our line, Ben, AB, and Ju-Ju spread the field for him.

To say he isn't that good is just silly.

He makes more runs where I just shake my head in amazement than any RB I've watched play in a long time.

Does he have breakaway speed? No.

Does he make more out of less than any other RB in the NFL? Yes he does.

By the way, at what point do we start questioning the OL not opening holes? They seem to have received immunity from all criticism regarding run-blocking. I see a lot of plays where Bell has nowhere to go, and has to pick a spot and drag defenders to gain 2 or 3 yards. I'm not saying Bell is perfect, but if he isn't good enough for people here, I don't even understand what the standard is.

Along with his running skills, he's the best receiving RB in the NFL. He runs the most complex routes of any RB and he gets open.

He's as good in pass protection as any star running back I can remember.

His ball security has been amazing since entering the NFL. By the way, that is the most underrated part of any RB's game. Everyone was worshiping Adrian Peterson while he was fumbling 9-12 times a year. People need to put that in their equations when rating RBs.

His football IQ is off the charts. His instincts for the game, and his ability to react and do what needs to be done on the field and his awareness is incredible.

This stuff matters. He's a great running back.

teegre
06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Wait, wait, wait... we are now blaming Bell for those awful play-calls on 4th-&-1...???

:rofl2:

Next, we’ll say that Bell caused Ben to throw those five interceptions. Better yet, let me be the first to say it: Ryan Shazier would be 100% healthy if it wasn’t for Le’Veon Bell. BWAHAHAHA!!!

You people have lost your minds.

pczach
06-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Wait, wait, wait... we are now blaming Bell for those awful play-calls on 4th-&-1...???

Next, we’ll say that Bell caused Ben to throw those five interceptions. Better yet, let me be the first to say it: Ryan Shazier would be 100% healthy if it wasn’t for Le’Veon Bell. BWAHAHAHA!!!

The comments about his play are getting more and more comical.

I don't understand how anyone can watch him play the game of football and not think he is a great player. It just doesn't compute. He was just voted one of the top-5 players in the entire NFL by his peers, but to some here he is nothing special at all.

Maybe Redman and Dwyer really were better than him...…..:rofl2:

I completely understand anyone that believes he isn't worth $17 million a year. I don't think he should make that much money either and have posted that here. However, his skills as a player are elite in every way and in every facet of the game. Bell's contract demands do not diminish his skills as a player in any way. Just because someone doesn't want to sign him for $17 mil a year doesn't mean he isn't an incredible RB.

teegre
06-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Look at the facts, people...

Feb 17, 1992: Wayne’s World is released
Feb 18, 1992: Le’Veon Bell is born

To quote Pee Wee Herman:
“Why? What’s the significance??? I... don’t... know!!!”

tube517
06-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Well, Bell (and AB) are "carrying" Ben..... so, yes, it's Bell's "fault". :chuckle:

teegre
07-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Well, Bell (and AB) are "carrying" Ben..... so, yes, it's Bell's "fault". :chuckle:

Everyone can go home now.

tube517 has won the internet for the day. :applaudit: