PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams as a TE?

Mojouw
06-04-2018, 01:46 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/dont-call-it-a-comeback-former-steelers-tackle-mike-adams-has-switched-to-tight-end/

Some interesting discussion about this on one of the various Leveon Bell threads. Thought this deserved it's own spot.

No idea how many TEs they usually take to camp, but wouldn't Adams already be the best blocker of the group? Might offer more in that 3 TE package than Hubbard or Hawkins did last year.

Going against it is how will his body hold up? That was a problem before. And he is 28. So no room to grow/develop. He would have to play now and play well for the Steelers or any other team to sign him over the 22 year old.

steelreserve
06-04-2018, 02:04 PM
While I doubt it will actually happen, I don't see the harm in giving him a look.

Who's the third TE now and what does he bring to the table? Last year it was Xavier Grimble, 5 catches for 32 yards. So, we wouldn't exactly be taking a huge risk. Oh no, if he can't run routes or catch, we stand to lose up to 2 yards per game of offense.

Mainly for a third TE, you wonder if the guy can block, and he probably can do that better than most of them. If he can catch a pass or two, that's just a bonus.

teegre
06-04-2018, 02:13 PM
When Mike Adams played as the “sixth O-lineman/big TE”, he did very well. So, we know that he can block. Now, if he can catch, he might find his way onto an NFL roster.

Plus, you can line him up over the center on field goals, where I’m sure he’ll block a few.

Mojouw
06-04-2018, 02:16 PM
While I doubt it will actually happen, I don't see the harm in giving him a look.

Who's the third TE now and what does he bring to the table? Last year it was Xavier Grimble, 5 catches for 32 yards. So, we wouldn't exactly be taking a huge risk. Oh no, if he can't run routes or catch, we stand to lose up to 2 yards per game of offense.

Mainly for a third TE, you wonder if the guy can block, and he probably can do that better than most of them. If he can catch a pass or two, that's just a bonus.

Good point.

I suspect Adams isn't really "ready". If he was, he likely would've leaned on Ohio State or Pitt or anyone to let him attend their Pro Day and run routes and get timed.

Who knows...wouldn't be the first time someone catches on at another spot.

BlackAndGold
06-04-2018, 02:24 PM
How's his pass blocking?

st33lersguy
06-04-2018, 02:55 PM
It would be a waste of time. He was a miserable failure here at tackle, and all of a sudden he won't be a failure at a completely new position after time off from the NFL? That spot in training camp he would take up would be better used on giving a udfa a shot

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2018, 05:11 PM
we just signed another TE...

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-sign-pair-players-losing-210418707.html