PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED: Steelers TE Jake McGee Possibly Suffered A Torn Achilles On Wednesday

Shoes
05-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Well that's too bad! I thought this kid showed some promise.

In addition to tackle Jerald Hawkins suffering what might turn out to be a serious knee injury during the team’s Wednesday OTA practice, tight end Jake McGee also reportedly was injured during the session.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/report-steelers-te-jake-mcgee-also-injured-during-wednesdays-ota-practice/

pczach
05-30-2018, 01:47 PM
That sucks. I was hoping to see how he had developed as a receiver. His blocking skills would have come in handy if he had made the roster. It was doubtful he would have made it, but a tough break for him and the team.

86WARD
05-30-2018, 01:55 PM
If there’s a positive, it’s that the injuries happened to McGee and Hawkins opposed to someone more “important”. Sucks for them though.

DesertSteel
05-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Hawkins... seems destined to never see the field.

Carolina Steelers
05-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Hawkins... seems destined to never see the field.

Yea seems that way after being hurt last year too

hawaiiansteeler
05-30-2018, 02:45 PM
when I read about these kinds of injuries it makes me feel better about Le'Veon holding out.

ALLD
05-30-2018, 06:00 PM
Seems currently there are more players than usual that make a career out of IR than on the field. Steelers have a history of supporting their injured players, but some of them smell like a new entitlement program.

Craic
05-30-2018, 07:26 PM
Seems currently there are more players than usual that make a career out of IR than on the field. Steelers have a history of supporting their injured players, but some of them smell like a new entitlement program.

It sure does feel that way. I wonder if part of it is because they're carrying so much weight on them now and yet, playing at such high speeds that the human body has simply reached it's limit. So what we're seeing is rips and tears and other things because the body just can't handle the torque anymore. I have absolutely no proof of this, but I do wonder.

Mojouw
05-31-2018, 10:15 AM
It sure does feel that way. I wonder if part of it is because they're carrying so much weight on them now and yet, playing at such high speeds that the human body has simply reached it's limit. So what we're seeing is rips and tears and other things because the body just can't handle the torque anymore. I have absolutely no proof of this, but I do wonder.

The little science I've seen on this indicates you are spot on.

steelreserve
05-31-2018, 06:31 PM

Knees and ankles' ability to withstand force doesn't scale with your body size, so it definitely makes sense that the heavier you are and the more force you're putting on them, the higher the chance of injury. I don't think we're at a "limit" yet as there are examples of even bigger athletes (Fridge Perry 400+ pounds, sumo wrestlers at 500+ pounds), but yeah, you probably will see more people getting hurt the heavier they are.

Hell, 300+ pound people in general have bad knees and bad backs all the time whether they're athletes or not. Not to mention larger people of all shapes and sizes have an outsize occurrence of diabetes and heart problems even if they're not overweight (like, a 7-foot tall guy might have a natural weight of 280 or 300 pounds, but your heart and your pancreas don't scale either.)

If anything, the NBA is probably where you see people really pushing up against the limits of the human frame. If you're 7-foot-6 or 7-foot-7, you probably have a better chance of barely being able to walk or stand up straight than of being a pro athlete. And even out of the ones that are pro athletes, pretty much all of them eventually had to retire due to injury.