PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

hawaiiansteeler
05-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Steelers bet big on James Conner after humbling rookie year

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- James Conner rivaled Tom Brady in jersey sales before playing an NFL snap. His courageous cancer fight resonated with fans on a human level. Those who understand what he overcame as a Pitt running back -- all those masked-up morning workouts between chemotherapy treatments for Hodgkin's lymphoma -- will celebrate his every tote of the rock.

But Conner's journey as a first-year Steeler was a common one for many rookies: He showed flashes in 2017 but generally struggled with the nuances of the professional game. That's why Conner wasn't about to pump his fist over a few swift cuts in the open field during Thursday's organized team activities, which featured Conner prominently in the absence of Le'Veon Bell.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27965/steelers-bet-big-on-james-conner-after-humbling-rookie-year

Mojouw
05-25-2018, 03:46 PM
So Conner doesn't know the playbook, can't pass protect, is confused by special teams play, and makes consistent mental errors.

I guess we can add him to the pile of "lots of potential" but "struggles to actually football" guys on the roster.

If this team is going to get over the hump, at least half of those types of guys are going to have to pan out.

DesertSteel
05-25-2018, 07:54 PM
So Conner doesn't know the playbook, can't pass protect, is confused by special teams play, and makes consistent mental errors.

I guess we can add him to the pile of "lots of potential" but "struggles to actually football" guys on the roster.

If this team is going to get over the hump, at least half of those types of guys are going to have to pan out.

Man, you are really that down on Conner from the limited sample size we got?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess getting a vote of confidence and an endorsement from Jesse James doesn't work for you, considering James is the only player you find more worthless, LOL.

Mojouw
05-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Man, you are really that down on Conner from the limited sample size we got?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess getting a vote of confidence and an endorsement from Jesse James doesn't work for you, considering James is the only player you find more worthless, LOL.

I'm pulling for Conner and JJ. It's just that both have obvious holes in their game. And from my wildly unknowledgeable perspective, blocking seems like a combo of want to and mental processing. Hard to understand how a player can't get better at that. Like an NBA guy that can't shoot free throws.

hawaiiansteeler
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Roethlisberger Believes Conner Has ‘Really Gotten A Lot Better’

By Dave BryanPosted on June 7, 2018

Even though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has participated in just two of the team’s OTA practices entering Thursday, he’s seen enough of second-year running back James Conner to know he’s made some improvements since his rookie season.

“I think he’s looking really well right now,” Roethlisberger said of Conner following the Steelers Wednesday OTA practice. “I like what he’s doing. He took those rookie kind of hiccups last year and has really gotten a lot better, I think. And like I said, we’re in shorts and short sleeves, no pads right now, but I’m excited to kind of get to camp with him. He’s one that I’m excited about.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/06/roethlisberger-believes-conner-has-really-gotten-a-lot-better/

ALLD
06-08-2018, 07:59 PM
What else is Ben going to say other than Conner is improving? He can't come out and say he is no replacement for Bell.

Mojouw
06-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Translation: there is a chance he won't get me killed on passing downs.

hawaiiansteeler
06-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Translation: there is a chance he won't get me killed on passing downs.

like on this one:

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/917080956632047622

DesertSteel
06-08-2018, 10:32 PM
What else is Ben going to say other than Conner is improving? He can't come out and say he is no replacement for Bell.
Since he's Ben, he could say just about anything... literally.