PDA

View Full Version : Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
05-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Le'Veon Bell reportedly asking for $17 million per year from the Steelers

By: Curt Popejoy

If you are as tired of talking about the national anthem as we are, let’s change the subject. It’s probably not a happier topic, but we did get some information about the contract demands of Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell. He’s currently holding out while his team participates in OTAs.

According to NFL Insider Tom Pelissero, a huge roadblock in the negotiations between Bell and the Steelers is that Bell is asking for $17 million per season on a new deal.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/25/leveon-bell-reportedly-asking-for-17-million-per-year-from-the-steelers/

Dwinsgames
05-25-2018, 04:25 PM
in other words to put this amount of money into perspective ....

an 18 year old would have to get a job today starting at 73k per year and work that job for 233 years at that rate to get what bell thinks he is worth to play football for 1 year ...

THAT is how out of hand this shit is !

steelreserve
05-25-2018, 05:16 PM
If we offer him $17M, he'll change his mind and want $19M. Obviously he just wants to leave and be the big money drama guy of next offseason. Big rapper.

Good luck!

Shoes
05-25-2018, 06:40 PM
:lol:

BlackAndGold
05-25-2018, 06:54 PM
And it's not happening. Hopefully we can get a Super Bowl win this upcoming season before Bell walks.

Would suck to see the talent of the "Killer B's" go to waste with playoff disappointments.

DesertSteel
05-25-2018, 07:48 PM
$17 per? For 4 YPC and a bunch of dump off passes for 600 yards?? Not bloody likely!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he goes to the Browns next year.

43Hitman
05-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Run the wheels off of him and let him walk.

hawaiiansteeler
05-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Le'Veon has a new rap song out, I'm sure it will be a huge hit.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13690609-74/leveon-bells-latest-rap-song-targets-critics-of-steelers-rb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyNOskTW7kg

teegre
05-25-2018, 09:29 PM
in other words to put this amount of money into perspective ....

an 18 year old would have to get a job today starting at 73k per year and work that job for 233 years at that rate to get what bell thinks he is worth to play football for 1 year ...

THAT is how out of hand this shit is !

Check this out...

It would take Bell 233 years to make the same amount as Shad Khan is worth (roughly $4 billion). And, Khan isn’t even in the top five of richest owners in theNFL.

For a more “realistic” look at how disproportionate the salaries of the owners versus the salaries of the players are, Art Rooneys is the “least wealthy” owner, and it would take Bell 30 years to make as much as Art is worth.

We can complain about the players making “too much”, but compared to the owners, what Bell makes is chicken feed (...which, in turn, makes my yearly salary look like chicken sh!t).

But, I’m honestly all for the players getting money, because they do stuff that I can only imagine doing... just like an opera singer, or an artist, or anyone else with a unique talent. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, and I’m fine with the players getting a large chunk of those profits.

st33lersguy
05-25-2018, 10:33 PM
He wants to be paid more than double the next highest paid rb. They'd be dumb to meet his demands especially with all the injuries, suspensions, and me first attitude. Plus rbs aren't worth that kind of money anyway. Much better to save that money for the rest of the team

Shoes
05-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Bell just priced his way out of Pittsburgh, although I think the Steelers knew that last year.

st33lersguy
05-25-2018, 10:48 PM
For his I just hope he enjoys swimming in the money like scrooge mcduck while failing to find the open holes in a crapsho like Washington or Miami

Lady Steel
05-26-2018, 01:04 AM
Le'Veon has a new rap song out, I'm sure it will be a huge hit.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13690609-74/leveon-bells-latest-rap-song-targets-critics-of-steelers-rb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyNOskTW7kg

:lol:

FYI to Le'Veon: The top brass of the Steelers don't care about your shitty rap songs, so you may as well stop making a fool out of yourself.

We all know that won't happen, though, because he's as dumb as a bag of rocks.

steelreserve
05-26-2018, 01:40 AM
Check this out...

It would take Bell 233 years to make the same amount as Shad Khan is worth (roughly $4 billion). And, Khan isn’t even in the top five of richest owners in theNFL.

For a more “realistic” look at how disproportionate the salaries of the owners versus the salaries of the players are, Art Rooneys is the “least wealthy” owner, and it would take Bell 30 years to make as much as Art is worth.

We can complain about the players making “too much”, but compared to the owners, what Bell makes is chicken feed (...which, in turn, makes my yearly salary look like chicken sh!t).

But, I’m honestly all for the players getting money, because they do stuff that I can only imagine doing... just like an opera singer, or an artist, or anyone else with a unique talent. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, and I’m fine with the players getting a large chunk of those profits.

There's nothing wrong with getting paid as much as you can.

When you are asking for so much that the team can't afford it, that sucks.

When you go about it like a jerk, you are a jerk.

I never understood why people get upset about the amount entertainers are paid, though. If you are able to get a few bucks each from millions of people, then guess what, that's a shitload of money and you earned it just as much as anyone else did. Athletes, musicians, actors, writers, whatever. People just have no concept of scale.

Dwinsgames
05-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Check this out...

disproportionate earnings is in EVERY business that isnt belly up .....

clearly employees should not make anything near what a business owner makes ....

100% of the risk is on ownership of business failings , upkeep of property and workplace all salaries every item every cost in order to make it run is on the ownerships ....

all employees have to do is show up and do their job they where hired to do ..

The average Microsoft salary ranges from approximately $39,819 per year for Accounting Clerk
to $173,717 per year for Principal Architect. Average Microsoft hourly pay ranges from approximately $12.20 per hour for Game Tester
to $65.00 per hour for Lead Developer.

Bill Gates net worth 92.8 billion

maybe Microsoft employees should make 17 million a year then ?

GBMelBlount
05-26-2018, 10:09 AM
I would imagine there is no shortage of applicants for game testing, even at $12 hourly! :party:

clearly employees should not make anything near what a business owner makes ....

100% of the risk is on ownership of business failings , upkeep of property and workplace all salaries every item every cost in order to make it run is on the ownerships ....

The average Microsoft salary ranges from approximately $39,819 per year for Accounting Clerk
to $173,717 per year for Principal Architect.

Average Microsoft hourly pay ranges from approximately $12.20 per hour for Game Tester

teegre
05-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Some of them, absolutely.

All of them, no. (Obviously)

Software companies routinely pay millions upon millions for phenoms who develop apps and/or restructure OS’s. Special talents = special pay

Dwinsgames
05-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Some of them, absolutely.

All of them, no. (Obviously)

Software companies routinely pay millions upon millions for phenoms who develop apps and/or restructure OS’s. Special talents = special pay

ok then lets take it a step further ....

McDonalds ..............

McDonald's market capitalization at right around $100 billion.

so which one of their employees are worth 17 million ?

regular employee not a CEO or upper management ...

a player , such as burger flipper or fry basket dropper

teegre
05-26-2018, 11:00 AM

McDonalds ..............

That’s easy... the guy who came up with the McRib. :wink02:

smokin3000gt
05-26-2018, 11:28 AM

to $173,717 per year for Principal Architect. Average Microsoft hourly pay ranges from approximately $12.20 per hour for Game Tester

Thank you.. most don't seem to get this. "Walmart CEO makes 15,000x more than the average Walmart cashier" Well no shit.. he also has 15,000x the responsibility, stress, and headache running a F500 company versus stocking shelves or checking people out. There are also a small handful of people that can run a company that size, let alone do it well where as cashiers are a dime a dozen. If anyone feels they're not being paid well enough they are free to do what's in their best interest whether is work harder to work into management, go work for the competition, or nut up and put everything on the line to start their own business.

Mojouw
05-26-2018, 01:53 PM

McDonalds ..............

Not the same at all. For McDonald's the product can be microwaved and assembled by anyone with a pulse and only a minor substance abuse problem. People will buy the product regardless of who is making it.

In the NFL, the players are the product. Star players but butts in seats and sell merchandise. Star players are not interchangeable parts. How many people can do what Leveon Bell does? 4 or 5 other guys on the planet at any one thime. If you look at percent of plays that result in points or first downs Bell is right up there with WRs that make 15-20 million per year.

So why is paying AB not a problem, but paying Bell is?

All NFL salaries are ludicrous, but they are getting paid with our money, so we are to blame anyway.

43Hitman
05-26-2018, 01:57 PM
So do we cut Brown and sign Bell, because we can't afford both and still field a competitive offensive line or other highly important positions. Personally I would rather have a stud wr and linebackers than a RB that has maybe 3(and I'm being generous) years left of his wheel.s

Mojouw
05-26-2018, 01:58 PM
So do we cut Brown and sign Bell, because we can't afford both and still field a competitive offensive line or other highly important positions. Personally I would rather have a stud wr and linebackers than a RB that has maybe 3(and I'm being generous) years left of his wheel.s

I totally agree. But there is a difference between we can't afford all these amazing players we drafted and no one should get paid this totally large amount of money.

Dwinsgames
05-26-2018, 02:56 PM
I totally agree. But there is a difference between we can't afford all these amazing players we drafted and no one should get paid this totally large amount of money.

highest paid RB in the world not named Leveon Bell is 8.5 million a year ....

I'll take 2 of them please over 1 Lev Bell ...

thats all

st33lersguy
05-26-2018, 03:20 PM
If bell thinks the Steelers should dedicate $17 million of salary cap money to him maybe someone should tell him about how legends such as O.J. Simpson, barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson all have/had never played in a super bowl largely thanks to insufficient teams around them. Heck Walter Payton was never part of a team that won anything until he played with a legendary defense.

steelreserve
05-26-2018, 03:55 PM
If bell thinks the Steelers should dedicate $17 million of salary cap money to him maybe someone should tell him about how legends such as O.J. Simpson, barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson all have/had never played in a super bowl largely thanks to insufficient teams around them. Heck Walter Payton was never part of a team that won anything until he played with a legendary defense.

I don't think that occurs to Bell-Einstein at all. In his mind, he's already going to win 10 Super Bowls all by himself no matter who else is on the team, so why shouldn't he get $100 million for that matter?

When he's on a team with no other offensive weapons to speak of, and catching passes from the 23rd-rated QB who doesn't know how to check down and makes inaccurate panic throws instead ... yeah, I bet his individual numbers don't look as good either.

pczach
05-26-2018, 04:21 PM
That’s easy... the guy who came up with a way to fool everyone into believing a McRib. Is actually meat. :wink02:

There...fixed that for you.

teegre
05-26-2018, 04:23 PM
To clarify, I’m not saying Bell should/should not make $17 million. There’s about fifty other threads on that topic, and honestly, all of them are moot... because, The Rooneys are NOT giving him that much.

Heck, if the Steelers win a SuperBowl this season, I don’t care if he leaves & makes $20 million/season. Good for him (and the Browns).

I was chiming in about the money. Even at half of Bell’s asking price ($8.5 million), it would take the average person 117 years to equal that salary. But, that is fine with me, because Bell is a unique talent, who deserves unique pay.

Proportionately, at that $8.5 million salary, it would take Bell 117 years to earn the same amount as Mike Brown (owner of the Bengals) is worth. And, Brown is the third-least-wealthy owner in the NFL.

teegre
05-26-2018, 04:29 PM
There are also a small handful of people that can run a company that size, let alone do it well where as cashiers are a dime a dozen.

100% correct.

Likewise, there are also a small handful of people that can run the ball like Bell, let alone do it well... whereas, cashiers are a dime a dozen.

Which is is why I have zero problem with the salaries that football players earn.

Average Joe : Bell :: Bell : CEO

teegre
05-26-2018, 04:51 PM
There...fixed that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklrTV-RPeo&app=desktop

Dwinsgames
05-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Bell isnt the best back in the league though ....

several guys are better runners ....

some are better pass catchers ....

some are better runners and good pass catchers too but unless on your team in your system who knows may be best in league ???

Kareem Hunt per example 4.9 ypc as a rookie ... almost 1400 yards on 272 rushes ... caught another 450+ yards of passes

Bell had 50+ more rushing attempts and less yards than Hunt ....... Bell had 30 more catches and only 100 more yards than Hunt

hawaiiansteeler
05-29-2018, 09:26 PM
making unreasonable contract demands + portraying himself as a victim = last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler

steelreserve
05-29-2018, 11:06 PM
making unreasonable contract demands + portraying himself as a victim = last year as a Pittsburgh Steeler

I mean, just the unreasonable contract demands probably equal that, but if he wants to be a jerk about it too, that's just icing.

steel striker
05-30-2018, 11:09 AM
I still don't any team will pay him the 17M per year.

st33lersguy
05-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Wait for him to sign then trade him. Would be right before the season, but he won't be there before hand anyway meaning the other rbs will still get work

hawaiiansteeler
05-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Franco Harris: 'Best interest' for Steelers to sign Le'Veon Bell

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27986/franco-harris-best-interest-for-steelers-to-sign-leveon-bell

Nadroj 20
05-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Nobody would want to pay him that kind of money and if a team is dumb enough to tie that much money into that position then he won't last behind the crap line they will have because they can't afford any better.

86WARD
06-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Only team that could do it would be one with a rookie QB and rag tag WRs. If the Redskins get a rookie WB next year, maybe a roster that looks like theirs could afford Bell. Their roster pretty much looks like an expansion team.

steelreserve
06-01-2018, 04:05 PM
The fundamental problem with his demands is that $8 million a year gets you the second-best running back in the league, with enough left over for a star player at another position. That's a pretty tough sell.

For instance, you could get a superstar RB and a very good receiver - who would be two different star-level players that could be on the field at the same time. Not one star player who says he's both.

Looked at another way, $17 million for Bell would be the difference between keeping, say, Heyward or JuJu in a couple years, and having to let them walk. Don't forget, we could afford the second-best RB in the league also.

Mojouw
06-01-2018, 06:11 PM
The only drawback is that you have to get your hands on the second best RB in the league. David Johnson, HUnt, and Kamara are not hitting the market anytime soon.

dislocatedday
06-01-2018, 06:42 PM
What I can't help but keep coming back to regarding Bell is that when he was out of the lineup 2-3 years ago, an aging DeAngelo Williams put up almost similar numbers to LeVeon Bell. I'd pass at $17 million per year and not think twice about that figure. If the Steelers offered him over $13M per year as has been reported, then he would have totally reset the RB market at that value. Holding out to make double per year what the next highest guy at his position makes seems like wishful and foolish thinking on his part..........but it is his right to tend to his business how he sees fit.

steelreserve
06-01-2018, 10:13 PM
The only drawback is that you have to get your hands on the second best RB in the league. David Johnson, HUnt, and Kamara are not hitting the market anytime soon.

I mean, at that point you probably just use a draft pick. Running back is fortunate to be basically the opposite of quarterback, where if you draft one in the first round, people look at you like you just told them you have two dicks. So you can be pretty assured of getting at least a good one with one of your first two picks.

Is that guy going to be a 1:1 clone of Bell, probably not. But is the difference worth $17M? Not really.

Plus, given that RBs can go off the cliff at any moment, $17M for Bell-Einstein in a long-term deal would have the not insignificant chance of turning out to be one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Mojouw
06-01-2018, 10:30 PM
I mean, at that point you probably just use a draft pick. Running back is fortunate to be basically the opposite of quarterback, where if you draft one in the first round, people look at you like you just told them you have two dicks. So you can be pretty assured of getting at least a good one with one of your first two picks.

Is that guy going to be a 1:1 clone of Bell, probably not. But is the difference worth $17M? Not really.

Plus, given that RBs can go off the cliff at any moment, $17M for Bell-Einstein in a long-term deal would have the not insignificant chance of turning out to be one of the worst deals in NFL history.

Yeah. That's gonna be the way to go. Who knows? Conner and Samuel may already be ready made replacements.

I just get nervous when you lose a high caliber player and have to replace them. Sometimes it is relatively easy such as recent stuff at WR. Sometimes like TE and say center it takes several cycles.

steelreserve
06-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Yeah. That's gonna be the way to go. Who knows? Conner and Samuel may already be ready made replacements.

I just get nervous when you lose a high caliber player and have to replace them. Sometimes it is relatively easy such as recent stuff at WR. Sometimes like TE and say center it takes several cycles.

It's pretty much inevitable since as I've said before, I think Bell is just leaving no matter what and won't re-sign with us at any price.

If I had to choose a position where you can usually be somewhat certain that what you're drafting is what you're getting, RB would be high up there on the list. DB, QB and edge rusher being at the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing is risk-free, but I'm a hell of a lot more nervous about what happens when Ben retires.

As a side note, I have no idea what's been going on at TE, but we are just having a HORRIBLE run of bad luck, it seems. Everyone we bring in falls flat on his face. I never thought of that as an especially difficult position to find, but I don't know, maybe offenses are changing in just such a way that it puts the TE in a weird spot.

Born2Steel
06-02-2018, 07:35 AM
The problem with Bell is the money. Nobody should have a problem with him on the field. If the money part got right, everyone should welcome him back with open arms. Although some fans just enjoy being disgruntled. However, from our point of view the money side is not going to get worked out. I still think Bell plays this season. And then I believe he leaves with no contract signed. I honestly don't think he ever gets the $15M he seems to want but I do think he signs with another team. Probably a rival like the Pats or a divisional team. He'll be a thorn for a season and then fade away like all the others before him.

On that same side note as Steelreserve's post, the TE position hasn't changed so much, IMO. Everybody seems to want to focus on getting the "next Gronk". I don't think that's the best approach. Just like with 'running' QBs, the flash is fleeting and the burn is short for these guys. There have already been other 'Gronk' style TEs as far as pass catchers. MOST have injury prone issues and can't stay on the field. The guys that are the better inline blockers either run terrible routes are get zero YAC. I really like McDonald and just have to hope we can keep him healthy and playing. JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO. Hate what happened with McGee, I think he had a real shot this preseason. IMO, get the TE that can block. If he can produce in the pass game, bonus. Let the 'Gronks' be the guys other teams chase.

pczach
06-02-2018, 08:11 AM
The problem with Bell is the money. Nobody should have a problem with him on the field. If the money part got right, everyone should welcome him back with open arms. Although some fans just enjoy being disgruntled. However, from our point of view the money side is not going to get worked out. I still think Bell plays this season. And then I believe he leaves with no contract signed. I honestly don't think he ever gets the $15M he seems to want but I do think he signs with another team. Probably a rival like the Pats or a divisional team. He'll be a thorn for a season and then fade away like all the others before him.

On that same side note as Steelreserve's post, the TE position hasn't changed so much, IMO. Everybody seems to want to focus on getting the "next Gronk". I don't think that's the best approach. Just like with 'running' QBs, the flash is fleeting and the burn is short for these guys. There have already been other 'Gronk' style TEs as far as pass catchers. MOST have injury prone issues and can't stay on the field. The guys that are the better inline blockers either run terrible routes are get zero YAC. I really like McDonald and just have to hope we can keep him healthy and playing. JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO. Hate what happened with McGee, I think he had a real shot this preseason. IMO, get the TE that can block. If he can produce in the pass game, bonus. Let the 'Gronks' be the guys other teams chase.

The thing about Gronk is that he can actually block. He's a complete TE, but he is such a dynamic player in the passing game that you just have to fire that gun and utilize his skills.

There's nothing wrong with looking for the next Gronk, but there just aren't other guys like Gronk out there. He has been an incredible weapon for the Pats. He dominates and just takes over games.

If you think you have a chance to draft a player like him....you have to take that player.

Mojouw
06-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Or you can be like JJ and not be a good blocker, run bad routes, and get no YAC. Heeey--ooo!

Sorry, had to get my shot in.

Please continue.

Born2Steel
06-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Or you can be like JJ and not be a good blocker, run bad routes, and get no YAC. Heeey--ooo!

Please continue.

I said the same. "JJ and Grimble will both get replaced soon, IMO." And for those exact reasons you mention. I think they both make the cut this season due to no competition at the position.

Mojouw
06-02-2018, 09:13 AM
It's pretty much inevitable since as I've said before, I think Bell is just leaving no matter what and won't re-sign with us at any price.

If I had to choose a position where you can usually be somewhat certain that what you're drafting is what you're getting, RB would be high up there on the list. DB, QB and edge rusher being at the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing is risk-free, but I'm a hell of a lot more nervous about what happens when Ben retires.

As a side note, I have no idea what's been going on at TE, but we are just having a HORRIBLE run of bad luck, it seems. Everyone we bring in falls flat on his face. I never thought of that as an especially difficult position to find, but I don't know, maybe offenses are changing in just such a way that it puts the TE in a weird spot.

No one is going to pay Bell 17+ million per year. Someone will likely talk themselves in to 12-15 million per year.

Getting one player with a similar skill set to Bell is now a high first round pick value around the league. When Bell was drafted, RB value was at about its lowest point. The position value has turned high again.

If Conner and Samuels are not the RB committee to replace Bell, Steelers are looking at burning a 1st round pick to improve the position.

On one hand the team has a know quantity that plays the position at an elite level and a crap-ton of salary cap space. On the other you have unknowns and (most likely) a 1st, a 3rd, and a 5th round pick. Interesting to see which one the team "values" more.

Born2Steel
06-02-2018, 09:30 AM
The thing about Gronk is that he can actually block. He's a complete TE, but he is such a dynamic player in the passing game that you just have to fire that gun and utilize his skills.

There's nothing wrong with looking for the next Gronk, but there just aren't other guys like Gronk out there. He has been an incredible weapon for the Pats. He dominates and just takes over games.

If you think you have a chance to draft a player like him....you have to take that player.

I agree with that assessment of Gronk. That's why he is considered the best at his position. I'm referring more to the chasing that dream player and getting very little return. Not only is Gronk the only one of his kind now, but try to name all the past 'Gronks'. That is a very small number. That is more my point than "don't take one if it's there." Even as good as Jimmy Graham was at NO, he was no Gronk. T.Gonzo, H.Miller, J.Witten, A.Gates, G.Olson, that's about it for the last decade that sustained any long term 'Gronk-like' success. It's a very high standard indeed. Here's to hoping we can add McDonald to that list soon.

pczach
06-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Please continue.

Poor Jesse James is never getting off your shit list, is he? :chuckle:

Mojouw
06-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Poor Jesse James is never getting off your shit list, is he? :chuckle:
I actually root hard for the kid. But at this point, I’m so deep in that I gotta just keep going!

Bluecoat96
06-02-2018, 01:21 PM

I just think of the Woodley deal. At the time, it looked great, but talk about falling off of a cliff. Once he blew his hammie, he was done. That deal fucked us for many years.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Lady Steel
06-02-2018, 11:31 PM
Bell will be a Patriot next year. Belicheat will want Fichtner's playbook.

86WARD
06-03-2018, 03:32 PM

There's probably never going to be another Gronk. For whatever reason, the fan base in Pittsburgh has a hard on for TEs. They wanted a redzone target for Ben...for ALL of Heath Miller's career. Miller wasn't good enough. Then finally in 2014 the Steelers drafted the next "Gronk" in Rob Blanchflower and boy...the fans all said this guy wuld be the next Gronk...almost the saviour on offense...this guy had soooooo much potential...lol. Only to last 4 preseason games and never be heard from again...posting a monster 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 stat line.

Meanwhile, Jesse James is putting up similar numbers to Heath Miller during Miller's first two seasons in the receiving department. James lacks the blocking skills, but he can catch the ball. Yet he's number one on everyone's list to replace. This team has much more to worry about than replacing James, McDonald and Grimble...much more...

steelreserve
06-03-2018, 09:21 PM
There's probably never going to be another Gronk. For whatever reason, the fan base in Pittsburgh has a hard on for TEs. They wanted a redzone target for Ben...for ALL of Heath Miller's career. Miller wasn't good enough. Then finally in 2014 the Steelers drafted the next "Gronk" in Rob Blanchflower and boy...the fans all said this guy wuld be the next Gronk...almost the saviour on offense...this guy had soooooo much potential...lol. Only to last 4 preseason games and never be heard from again...posting a monster 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 stat line.

Meanwhile, Jesse James is putting up similar numbers to Heath Miller during Miller's first two seasons in the receiving department. James lacks the blocking skills, but he can catch the ball. Yet he's number one on everyone's list to replace. This team has much more to worry about than replacing James, McDonald and Grimble...much more...

I don't think it's a huge weakness like some other positions but ... man is it difficult to find a good all-around player at TE. Either they're all pass-catching and a liability in the run game, or all blocking with hands of stone and playmaking ability to match. Just all very specialized to the point where it's a problem.

McDonald is probably the closest we've had to a "balanced" TE since Miller, but only if he can stay on the field.

Craic
06-03-2018, 09:49 PM
I don't think it's a huge weakness like some other positions but ... man is it difficult to find a good all-around player at TE. Either they're all pass-catching and a liability in the run game, or all blocking with hands of stone and playmaking ability to match. Just all very specialized to the point where it's a problem.

McDonald is probably the closest we've had to a "balanced" TE since Miller, but only if he can stay on the field.
Speaking of TEs, I wonder if we'll give Mike Adams a look on his comeback tour. There were moments when he lined up on the right side that he played lights out in blocking. Injuries and inconsistency just made it impractical to keep him. As a TE that has been trained in the fundamentals of blocking, I think it'd be an interesting prospect. That, and he's 6'8", which is something we all know Ben desires. I wouldn't be adverse to signing him to a camp contract and let him prove himself.

steelreserve
06-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Speaking of TEs, I wonder if we'll give Mike Adams a look on his comeback tour. There were moments when he lined up on the right side that he played lights out in blocking. Injuries and inconsistency just made it impractical to keep him. As a TE that has been trained in the fundamentals of blocking, I think it'd be an interesting prospect. That, and he's 6'8", which is something we all know Ben desires. I wouldn't be adverse to signing him to a camp contract and let him prove himself.

I had no idea any of this was going on, but I would have my doubts he comes back for a second go around...

Bluecoat96
06-03-2018, 11:01 PM
I had no idea any of this was going on, but I would have my doubts he comes back for a second go around...Gotta give him some props at least. He has certainly been busting his ass.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/3b07aec0ed45c09d2102719b7037fbcf.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
06-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Pass, we need a starter at TE, not a project who never played the position before.

Craic
06-04-2018, 02:21 AM
Pass, we need a starter at TE, not a project who never played the position before.

Except, where are you going to get a starter now? Trade for another one? We've done that twice. For what it'd cost to give him a camp contract, I see no harm in bringing him back in and seeing what he can do. That is, if he shows enough on tape to warrant even bringing him in, that is.

Dwinsgames
06-04-2018, 06:53 AM
a lot of assumption / opinion that bell is the best RB in the league .......

I contend he is not ...

here is why ...

1) running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league

2) Has a legit starting QB whos forte is the long ball ( that opens things up and stretches the field )

3) has the #1 WR in the league on his team that 90+% of the time draws an extra defender ( also helps open up the running game )

4) averaged just 4 YPC

sure he caught 60-70 balls last year but even the yards from that isnt " great" hell Hunt had 30 less catches and close to the same amount of yards

Bell is a good RB that on occasion does great things but that has as much IMO to do with the players around him and what they do to the oppositions defense , he isnt a Great RB .. he isnt a 17 million dollar man in fact he isnt close

greatness is defined ( for me anyways) as someone who is head and shoulders better than everyone else and does so for an extended period of time , historical type numbers over a stretch putting them on track for being the best ever statistically ... Antonio Brown is putting up those sort of numbers ..... Leveon Bell is not

Dwinsgames
06-04-2018, 07:09 AM

certainly has the size ...

biggest issue he had was back problems , the drop in weight should help with that ...

he looked smooth in drills ...

he caught the ball naturally with his hands in those drills

looked the part 100%

but age and lack of experience at the pos is going to hurt his chances substantially ...

will take a special situation / team to take any such chance

Pittsburgh is probably his best shot if for no other reason the connections he has in the building

the price is right its basically a free look ...

all that said I still think it is a really long long shot that it happens

teegre
06-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Most yards from scrimmage per game (average):

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
2. Jim Brown 125.5
3. Billy Sims 119.6
4. Barry Sanders 118.9
5. Terrell Davis 113.9
6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
7. Walter Payton 111.9

pczach
06-04-2018, 09:47 AM

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
2. Jim Brown 125.5
3. Billy Sims 119.6
4. Barry Sanders 118.9
5. Terrell Davis 113.9
6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
7. Walter Payton 111.9

Who are all those guys? :scratchchin:

Mojouw
06-04-2018, 10:03 AM
The attempt to construct a story where Bell is not one of the best backs in football is hilarious. David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, and Todd Gurley are right up there with Bell. Maybe Barkley will be. But Bell has done his thing for multiple seasons. Each other RB has either done it not at all or once.

Are any of those guys worth over 12 million per year? That's a different question.

This is starting to get like when people were saying that Barry Bonds wasn't that good and it was no big deal if he left.

Bell is really good. It is an offense changing thing if he leaves. Is it franchise altering? No, but there will be an shifting of responsibilities.

DesertSteel
06-04-2018, 11:19 AM
The attempt to construct a story where Bell is not one of the best backs in football is hilarious. David Johnson, Kareem Hunt, and Todd Gurley are right up there with Bell. Maybe Barkley will be. But Bell has done his thing for multiple seasons. Each other RB has either done it not at all or once.

Are any of those guys worth over 12 million per year? That's a different question.

This is starting to get like when people were saying that Barry Bonds wasn't that good and it was no big deal if he left.

Bell is really good. It is an offense changing thing if he leaves. Is it franchise altering? No, but there will be an shifting of responsibilities.
He's good.... but he's a depreciating asset. Bell is operating from the belief that he is an appreciating asset. The Steelers are smart enough to know the difference. There is likely 1 of the 32 that will agree with Bell next offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
2. Jim Brown 125.5
3. Billy Sims 119.6
4. Barry Sanders 118.9
5. Terrell Davis 113.9
6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
7. Walter Payton 111.9

Could we add average touches to that list?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2018, 11:47 AM

1. Le’Veon Bell 128.5
2. Jim Brown 125.5
3. Billy Sims 119.6
4. Barry Sanders 118.9
5. Terrell Davis 113.9
6. Adrian Peterson 112.0
7. Walter Payton 111.9

Yeah, I like how when Bell is playing well everybody on this board will say "Bell is the best RB in the league, better than Elliot, Gurley, McCoy, Ingram, Hunt, Fournette, etc." But the moment its reported that he is asking for WR type money the tone changes to .."Bell isn't even the best RB in the league".

Thanks for posting. Bottom line is that he is the best RB in the NFL right now from a total skillset standpoint, if he wants more than the Steelers are willing to pay, then he will move on and the Steelers will use cap space elsewhere.

Fans act like a talented Steeler never moved onto another team for more $$ before. Its been done and will happen again. Honestly, I think this is the last year for Bell in B&G.

Mojouw
06-04-2018, 11:57 AM
He's good.... but he's a depreciating asset. Bell is operating from the belief that he is an appreciating asset. The Steelers are smart enough to know the difference. There is likely 1 of the 32 that will agree with Bell next offseason.

- - - Updated - - -

Could we add average touches to that list?

Single Season: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/touches_single_season.htm
Leveon Bell has the 36th, 106th, and 238th ranked seasons in touches. So, he isn't exactly lapping the field as the ready narrative suggests.

I agree on how one could judge the value of the player -- that is a separate point. Player rank and player value is not always the same.

st33lersguy
06-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Except, where are you going to get a starter now? Trade for another one? We've done that twice. For what it'd cost to give him a camp contract, I see no harm in bringing him back in and seeing what he can do. That is, if he shows enough on tape to warrant even bringing him in, that is.

Point is the problem at te is a quality issue, not a camp body depth issue. Bringing in a project playing a completely new position would just be white noise

Craic
06-04-2018, 01:21 PM
Point is the problem at te is a quality issue, not a camp body depth issue. Bringing in a project playing a completely new position would just be white noise
That's assuming you know for a fact he's not going to make it. If you already have camp bodies that fail to play at the level he is showing on tape, then it is simple. You cut that camp body and bring him in. I"m not saying we need him. However, I don't get the hesitancy in giving the tape a look and bringing him in if he looks better than someone else at that position now that is on the roster.

teegre
06-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Bingo!!!

For some reason, it has become: either Bell is really, really, ridiculously good or Bell is not worth $17 million. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Bell is indeed really, really, ridiculously good AND Bell is not worth $17 million.

86WARD
06-04-2018, 05:58 PM
Bingo!!!

For some reason, it has become: either Bell is really, really, ridiculously good or Bell is not worth $17 million. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Bell is indeed really, really, ridiculously good AND Bell is not worth $17 million.

Thank you.

Kareem Hunt is not on the same class as LeVeon Bell. Todd Gurley, Bell, Zeke, David Johnson (when healthy) are in the same neighborhood...after that, there’s a drop off.

DesertSteel
06-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Single Season: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/touches_single_season.htm
Leveon Bell has the 36th, 106th, and 238th ranked seasons in touches. So, he isn't exactly lapping the field as the ready narrative suggests.

I agree on how one could judge the value of the player -- that is a separate point. Player rank and player value is not always the same.
I'd rather just know how many touches it takes Bell to get to 128.5 vs. Brown’s 125.5, etc. I think that it’s relevant to the discussion when we’re posting such a list.

Again, my biggest concern is his depreciation, which could be seen last year and likely won’t get better based on a large sample size of RB’s.

And my only criticism of Bell in his prime is that he can’t go the distance. That’s definitely getting worse.

st33lersguy
06-04-2018, 10:35 PM
He is not worth $17 million a year. If he was willing to sign at a reasonable price, then I would say yes, but he was offered $14 million a year and responded by throwing a public bitchfit crying about how he's under-appreciated. He is not worth breaking the bank for.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
I'd rather just know how many touches it takes Bell to get to 128.5 vs. Brown’s 125.5, etc. I think that it’s relevant to the discussion when we’re posting such a list.

I think the point was the list and the names of players in the category that Bell is in with regards to production.

I think stats are overused in football discussions anyways, but are we really going to start dissecting stats of a guy that last played when Lyndon B Johnson was president? Bell is the best RB in the NFL, but he isn't worth $17 million a season to the Steelers. Maybe Dan Gilbert will pay him that in 2019, but not the Steelers IMO.

DesertSteel
06-05-2018, 03:16 PM
I think the point was the list and the names of players in the category that Bell is in with regards to production.

I think stats are overused in football discussions anyways, but are we really going to start dissecting stats of a guy that last played when Lyndon B Johnson was president? Bell is the best RB in the NFL, but he isn't worth $17 million a season to the Steelers. Maybe Dan Gilbert will pay him that in 2019, but not the Steelers IMO.

Yes part of my point is that stats can be used to prove almost anything. As for Bell being the best RB in the NFL, I can't agree. I will never give a guy who runs for 4.0 YPC that crown. I understand that's a stat, but I see it when he plays. He has no extra gear and a lot of defenses are catching on to his patient style. He's good and probably top 3, but I don't think he's currently the best. Two years ago he was, but not last year.

Dan Gilbert? Isn't he the owner of the Cavs? Is Bell moving to the NBA? Now he wants to be paid RB/WR and Shooting Guard money!

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Dan Gilbert? Isn't he the owner of the Cavs? Is Bell moving to the NBA? Now he wants to be paid RB/WR and Shooting Guard money!

Klay Thompson makes $17,244,863, why should Bell accept any less?

steelreserve
06-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Klay Thompson makes $17,244,863, why should Bell accept any less?

12 guys on a team over 82 games (100 with playoffs), versus 53 guys on a team over 16-17 games? Math isn't hard, unless you were being sarcastic.

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2018, 05:39 PM
12 guys on a team over 82 games (100 with playoffs), versus 53 guys on a team over 16-17 games? Math isn't hard, unless you were being sarcastic.

I was just joking.

https://vimeo.com/65921206

steelreserve
06-05-2018, 05:57 PM
I was just joking.

Well then fuck you! Yeah!

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2018, 06:59 PM

:peace:

pczach
06-05-2018, 08:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8

Cyphon25
06-05-2018, 08:36 PM
I have said many times before but Bell is worth more around the league than he is to the Steelers. When you have the best WR in the game, one of the best QB's, and a really good OL you don't need the best RB or a top 3 RB. Someone will pay him 15 mil a season, of that I have no doubt. But it will likely be a team with a nobody QB and Bell will not have the success he had with the Steelers.

I think RB prices will go up on the next round of contracts but I also think their increased value all comes from situation. Elliott played with a rookie QB on an average team. Hunt played with a decent QB on a solid team, Johnson played with an older, solid QB on a mediocre team, Gurley played with a revolving door of QB's on a bad team until last year with a 2nd year QB.

So all of these backs look more valuable because the situation allows it. Devonta Freeman is a good back and is making 8.5 or something. Well they also have a franchise QB and one of the best receivers in the NFL. If they didn't have that he would probably need to be used more and look like he was needed to carry the team.

Bell is great to have, but he isn't a necessary piece for the Steelers to have success.

Born2Steel
06-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Do you remember the last AFC championship game? The one when Bell went out and the offense fell apart. Still had AB, Ben, and the OL. Offense did nothing. This Steelers offense goes through Bell. I don't understand why some do not understand this value. Not value in the RB position, but in Leveon Bell on this team. I've never said financially handicap the future on any player, but to down play Bell's value to "just put another guy back there", is football dumb. Name another player, on this team(otherwise it does no good in helping us win games) that comes close to what Bell brings to THIS offense.

Ready, Set, GO!

Cyphon25
06-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Do you remember the last AFC championship game? The one when Bell went out and the offense fell apart. Still had AB, Ben, and the OL. Offense did nothing. This Steelers offense goes through Bell. I don't understand why some do not understand this value. Not value in the RB position, but in Leveon Bell on this team. I've never said financially handicap the future on any player, but to down play Bell's value to "just put another guy back there", is football dumb. Name another player, on this team(otherwise it does no good in helping us win games) that comes close to what Bell brings to THIS offense.

Ready, Set, GO!

Actually if memory serves it was after Bell went out that we had our first drive and resulting TD when D Will was the guy. The problem that game was our defense. Granted, our offense wasn't great but Bell being out wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was because our defense let a lacrosse player look like Jerry Rice.

Obviously you would rather have Bell than D Will but this offense can and has moved without Bell. In fact D Wills first season with us he put up similar numbers to what Bell brings.

Born2Steel
06-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Actually if memory serves it was after Bell went out that we had our first drive and resulting TD when D Will was the guy. The problem that game was our defense. Granted, our offense wasn't great but Bell being out wasn't the reason we lost the game. It was because our defense let a lacrosse player look like Jerry Rice.

Obviously you would rather have Bell than D Will but this offense can and has moved without Bell. In fact D Wills first season with us he put up similar numbers to what Bell brings.

Selective memory. Dropped passes, AB taken completely out of play by the Pat's D. NO run game at all. The offense went to shit, and Ben promptly talked of retirement. But that's cool. Remember it the way that you remember it . Still no player name to replace Bell's value either. Instead let's just argue about other things.

Cyphon25
06-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Selective memory. Dropped passes, AB taken completely out of play by the Pat's D. NO run game at all. The offense went to shit, and Ben promptly talked of retirement. But that's cool. Remember it the way that you remember it . Still no player name to replace Bell's value either. Instead let's just argue about other things.

Nothing selective about it, just stating the facts.

D Will came in after Bell went down and he scored our first TD. D Will only averaged 2.4 YPC but Bell was only at 3.3 when he went out. Hardly a major improvement. And if you want to talk about coming out of the backfield D Will had 7 receptions so he provided there as well.

Chris Hogan had 9 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD's. If that isn't a Rice-like performance I don't know what is.

I also mentioned that the offense wasn't great but it isn't what cost us the game. Obviously I can't call that a fact but again, when you look at Chris Hogans numbers I think it would be ridiculous to debate otherwise.

As for who can replace Bell it depends. Not sure who all will be available next year but with our offense you could bring in a guy like Giovani Bernard who is a dual threat type or maybe a James White from the Pats if he is available. They aren't going to be Leveon Bell but as I said, we don't need Bell for our offense to have success. If we DO need Bell that badly than we have all been SEVERELY overrating Ben, Brown, and our OL.

Born2Steel
06-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Nothing selective about it, just stating the facts.

D Will came in after Bell went down and he scored our first TD. D Will only averaged 2.4 YPC but Bell was only at 3.3 when he went out. Hardly a major improvement. And if you want to talk about coming out of the backfield D Will had 7 receptions so he provided there as well.

Chris Hogan had 9 receptions for 180 yards and 2 TD's. If that isn't a Rice-like performance I don't know what is.

I also mentioned that the offense wasn't great but it isn't what cost us the game. Obviously I can't call that a fact but again, when you look at Chris Hogans numbers I think it would be ridiculous to debate otherwise.

As for who can replace Bell it depends. Not sure who all will be available next year but with our offense you could bring in a guy like Giovani Bernard who is a dual threat type or maybe a James White from the Pats if he is available. They aren't going to be Leveon Bell but as I said, we don't need Bell for our offense to have success. If we DO need Bell that badly than we have all been SEVERELY overrating Ben, Brown, and our OL.

Again, you are the ONLY one arguing the game. That was just one example. The POINT, the QUESTION, the CONVERSATION is about Bell's value to the Steelers. WHEN Bell went out, the Steelers game plan went out as well. No debate about that. THAT is the point. There is no player on THIS TEAM that carries the value Bell does for this offense. Not going to move AB or Ben to the RB/Slot position. You stated Bell has more value for other teams than he does for the Steelers. I only pointed out that he holds more value to this offense than any other player on this team currently. Then argued that Bell is not just a plug somebody else in type player. You can pull up all the stats of DWill, other team's players, whatever. Just keep rocking that roll if it helps you through your day. Peace.

steelreserve
06-06-2018, 09:20 AM
As I've said before, it's irrelevant whether or not Bell-Einstein is "worth" $17 million a year.

It's irrelevant whether we actually offer him $17 million a year.

It's irrelevant whether he's the best back in the league, and it's irrelevant whether he's what makes our offense work.

He's leaving at the start of free agency next March, faster than you can say rocks and blocks. He won't sign with Pittsburgh at any price. I've seen this play out a hundred times before. Sucks that he turned out to be that way.

Cyphon25
06-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Again, you are the ONLY one arguing the game. That was just one example. The POINT, the QUESTION, the CONVERSATION is about Bell's value to the Steelers. WHEN Bell went out, the Steelers game plan went out as well. No debate about that. THAT is the point.

Well you brought that game up, not me. I was just pointing out that you were wrong. I was speaking globally when I made my initial post about the offense being able to function without Bell. If you need more than one game of proof just look to D Wills first season with us. He was a 30+ year old RB that was able to produce at similar levels to Bell because our offense is that good.

There is no player on THIS TEAM that carries the value Bell does for this offense. Not going to move AB or Ben to the RB/Slot position. You stated Bell has more value for other teams than he does for the Steelers. I only pointed out that he holds more value to this offense than any other player on this team currently. Then argued that Bell is not just a plug somebody else in type player. You can pull up all the stats of DWill, other team's players, whatever. Just keep rocking that roll if it helps you through your day. Peace.

Again, wrong. Ben Roethlisberger carries more value than Bell and that isn't even up for debate. You lose Bell you still have some hope at an SB, Ben goes down and see what the vegas odds start to look like.

And just to be clear I am not arguing that Bell isn't valuable to us, he just isn't as valuable to us as he would be elsewhere because of what we already have. You can't plug someone in and get the exact same results Bell would give you, but you can plug someone in and keep the offense moving. If Ben retired today, THEN Bell would probably reach that kind of value.

Born2Steel
06-06-2018, 11:18 AM
I don't know if you don't read the whole post, or just don't understand it. Either way nice chat. Moving on now.

86WARD
06-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Bell is a Top-3 RB in the league. Having him as a RB on this team is HUGE!! You won’t get that production out of the backs on this roster...you’re oblivious to the world if you think someone can step in and be as productive as Bell running, receiving, blocking, decoying, rapping, tweeting, instagramming, whatever you want to say. There’s maybe two other backs that can do it. Without Bell, the offense changes. Sure it can be productive, but it’s not as good as when Bell is in the line up. It’s just not...

Having said that, he’s not worth $17M in a salary cap world.

Cyphon25
06-06-2018, 11:31 AM
I don't know if you don't read the whole post, or just don't understand it. Either way nice chat. Moving on now.

Well I quoted your whole post and responded directly to it so if there is any misunderstanding it is on you.

Bell is a Top-3 RB in the league. Having him as a RB on this team is HUGE!! You won’t get that production out of the backs on this roster...you’re oblivious to the world if you think someone can step in and be as productive as Bell running, receiving, blocking, decoying, rapping, tweeting, instagramming, whatever you want to say. There’s maybe two other backs that can do it. Without Bell, the offense changes. Sure it can be productive, but it’s not as good as when Bell is in the line up. It’s just not...

Having said that, he’s not worth $17M in a salary cap world.

I don't think this is directly at me but I would guess most people wouldn't argue that you will get the EXACT same offense without Bell. I think the argument is you can still have a good offense without him and that it the key point. As you say he isn't worth 17 mil, but I think that is even more true for teams like the Steelers. Or if you want to include other teams Bell certainly wouldn't be worth that to the Cowboys, Rams, Cardinals, etc...

A lot of value is dependent on roster construction. When you have a rookie QB you have 2 things to consider:

1. He needs weapons around him to help him out. That increases the value of both RB's and WR's.

2. The QB isn't taking up much cap space so you can afford to pay top end to put talent around him.

The Steelers have both a QB and a WR taking up a lot of cap space who are both top guys at their positions. So Bell becomes somewhat less necessary and valuable to the teams success. That doesn't mean he isn't valuable and a GREAT piece to have, but that only remains true if he comes at the right price. I don't believe the Steelers should pay any higher than 12 a year but I could get behind a team like the Browns paying him 15.

Mojouw
06-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Everyone acts like DWill doing what he did here was some kind of surprise. It wasn't. Sure he was older, but the carry split with a variety of backs during his prime in Carolina keep some of the wear and tear down.

Long story short, he replicated his Carolina stats with the Steelers rushing. He increased his reception stats -- why? Because Haley built an offense that flows through the unique skill set of Leveon Bell.

Yes, Ben is the trigger man and AB is the kill shot. But the match-up and formation flexibility that Bell brings to the field allows the Steelers to do some things on offense that may not be possible or at the least, not as effective, with a run only RB on the field.

Again, that does not mean that Bell should be given a ludicrous contract. But to deny his value to the team, is just trying to edit the situation to fit current emotions.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDe02.htm

Cyphon25
06-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Everyone acts like DWill doing what he did here was some kind of surprise. It wasn't. Sure he was older, but the carry split with a variety of backs during his prime in Carolina keep some of the wear and tear down.

Long story short, he replicated his Carolina stats with the Steelers rushing. He increased his reception stats -- why? Because Haley built an offense that flows through the unique skill set of Leveon Bell.

Yes, Ben is the trigger man and AB is the kill shot. But the match-up and formation flexibility that Bell brings to the field allows the Steelers to do some things on offense that may not be possible or at the least, not as effective, with a run only RB on the field.

Again, that does not mean that Bell should be given a ludicrous contract. But to deny his value to the team, is just trying to edit the situation to fit current emotions.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillDe02.htm

Again, I can only speak for myself but I don't say it from a position of surprise. I use it to illustrate that good value can be found even if the RB isn't considered a top guy. So much of football is about scheme, circumstance, and those around you. As you say, Bell being on the field allows the offense to do certain things but that also works both ways. Bell is able to do as much as he does because not only do we have the pieces in place to keep teams from targeting Bell, but we have built a system for him to be targeted so often.

It is hard to try to put numbers on it but here is the way I see it.

I would take 80% production at 8-10 mil from the position than Bells 100% production at 14 mil. Our offense has enough to weapons to go with a lesser RB. Now if you remove AB or Ben, then we can talking about needing a guy of Bells calibre.

Hawkman
06-06-2018, 03:47 PM
:deadhorse:

Mojouw
06-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Again, I can only speak for myself but I don't say it from a position of surprise. I use it to illustrate that good value can be found even if the RB isn't considered a top guy. So much of football is about scheme, circumstance, and those around you. As you say, Bell being on the field allows the offense to do certain things but that also works both ways. Bell is able to do as much as he does because not only do we have the pieces in place to keep teams from targeting Bell, but we have built a system for him to be targeted so often.

It is hard to try to put numbers on it but here is the way I see it.

I would take 80% production at 8-10 mil from the position than Bells 100% production at 14 mil. Our offense has enough to weapons to go with a lesser RB. Now if you remove AB or Ben, then we can talking about needing a guy of Bells calibre.

The interesting thing, for me, is projecting the career timelines for the "Big 3" on offense.

Ben is 36.
AB is 29.
Bell is 26.

AB is almost certainly not getting another big $$$ deal from the Steelers. His current deal runs through 2021 and puts him as a free agent entering his age 33 season. If he would get resigned at that point, it would be on fairly "team friendly" deal.

Maybe Ben gets an extension/rework to bump his salary up to the new "elite" QB level and push his contractual retirement out to about 38 or 39. But, he is close to not being on the books.

What am I trying to say here? The Steelers, if they wanted to get clever with things, have the cap space to pay Bell whatever silly # needed to make a long-term deal work. He is then the high priced bridge between the Ben/AB/Bell trio to say a Rudolph/Bell/Washington/Smith-Schuster grouping. I'm not saying the team should or even needs to do that. It would almost certainly create a cascading effect where Ben, AB, and a few others would start wanting their contracts significantly increased. But everyone acts like handing Bell $17 million per would cripple the team from a cap standpoint. From the cursory survey I can access on a few who knows how accurate websites, if they backloaded that puppy a bit (held down cap hit in 2018-2020) then Bell would hit the cap sheet around the time AB and Ben move off of it. Around the same time some group of Watt, Dupree, Burns, Davis, Smith-Schuster, and random guy I'm forgetting likely hit the books with big $$ extensions. But Haden and Gilbert leaving the books around that time should balance everything out.

Again, I think that paying Bell over about 12-15 million per year sets a terrible precedent that the team would come to regret, but it could be done according to math.

Lady Steel
06-06-2018, 11:16 PM
:deadhorse:

I'm sitting here wondering how long a thread about carburetors would be on this board. :scratchchin:

*And they think women talk a lot.* :lol:

Hawkman
06-07-2018, 11:08 AM
I'm sitting here wondering how long a thread about carburetors would be on this board. :scratchchin:

*And they think women talk a lot.* :lol:

:chuckle::rofl2:

FrancoLambert
06-07-2018, 12:22 PM
I can't wait for Bell to leave after this season and finally get rid of this yearly distraction.

One of the best RB's in the game, but not worth the aggravation and attention paid to it.