PDA

View Full Version : Colbert #2 General Manager in NFL?

GBMelBlount
05-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Kevin Colbert ranks as No. 2 general manager in the NFL

There might not be a job on an NFL team more important than that of the general manager. All personnel decisions run through them including draft picks and free agents. And the Pittsburgh Steelers have a very good one in Kevin Colbert. In fact, according to the folks at Rotoworld, Colbert is second only to Bill Belichick in their rankings.

Colbert is an elite general manager. Despite those lean times earlier this decade, Colbert’s rosters have gone 188-99-1 since he first came onto the scene in 2000. They have won two Super Bowls and reached a third. That’s a track record only Bill Belichick can better. Where Colbert’s early-decade squads were aging and top heavy, his most recent have been deep and dynamic.

Judging by the numbers presented, it appears the author is counting the 11 seasons Colbert spent as director of football operations prior to being named the official general manager. If you go all the way back to 2000, the Steelers have only had one sub-.500 season under Colbert’s watch.

Many fans are quick to criticize Colbert because this team hasn’t made it back to the Super Bowl since 2010. And that is fair. Colbert seems to be assembling talent on the roster but they can’t get over the hump. Hopefully, this is the season they buck the trend.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/20/kevin-colbert-ranks-as-no-2-general-manager-in-the-nfl/

Curt Popejoy

st33lersguy
05-20-2018, 02:45 PM
No surprise, has played a big role in the team's success in the 21st century

Mojouw
05-20-2018, 02:47 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/79956/57/nfls-best-gms-2018?pg=1

Here is the original article with details and information used by author to determine the rankings.

86WARD
05-20-2018, 02:57 PM
I don't know...from 2000 to 2017, there's been some horrendous picks...lol. Also, have to give Colbert credit, some very nice picks. Without looking, I'd guess maybe 35-40 useful players out of those 18 seasons? There's definitely been some throw away classes: 2008, 2009, Ben's class was garbage with the exception on Ben and Max Starks (Bo Lacy anyone?). 2003/2005 was pretty much the same...Heath, Polamalu and Ike Taylor were pretty much the only thing out of those two seasons (Fred Gibson...lol). Regardless, there's wins from the rosters that Colbert has created and isn't that the ultimate judge?

GBMelBlount
05-20-2018, 03:45 PM
I don't know...from 2000 to 2017, there's been some horrendous picks...lol.

Also, have to give Colbert credit, some very nice picks. Without looking, I'd guess maybe 35-40 useful players out of those 18 seasons? There's definitely been some throw away classes: 2008, 2009, Ben's class was garbage with the exception on Ben and Max Starks (Bo Lacy anyone?). 2003/2005 was pretty much the same...Heath, Polamalu and Ike Taylor were pretty much the only thing out of those two seasons (Fred Gibson...lol). Regardless, there's wins from the rosters that Colbert has created and isn't that the ultimate judge?

Maybe it isn't so much the above average selections as it is our system which tends to more consistent and long term than other teams.

Plus there is the Ben factor which arguably adds a few wins to our record every year.

DesertSteel
05-20-2018, 04:09 PM
He’s top 5. Same with Tomlin - he’s a top 5 coach. Same with Ben - he’s a top 5 QB.

The question is can 3 top 5’s get us to the promised land again???

GBMelBlount
05-20-2018, 04:30 PM
He’s top 5. Same with Tomlin - he’s a top 5 coach. Same with Ben - he’s a top 5 QB.

The question is can 3 top 5’s get is to the promised land again???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q83DPZy6E

st33lersguy
05-20-2018, 04:36 PM
I don't know...from 2000 to 2017, there's been some horrendous picks...lol. Also, have to give Colbert credit, some very nice picks. Without looking, I'd guess maybe 35-40 useful players out of those 18 seasons? There's definitely been some throw away classes: 2008, 2009, Ben's class was garbage with the exception on Ben and Max Starks (Bo Lacy anyone?). 2003/2005 was pretty much the same...Heath, Polamalu and Ike Taylor were pretty much the only thing out of those two seasons (Fred Gibson...lol). Regardless, there's wins from the rosters that Colbert has created and isn't that the ultimate judge?

What team doesn't have throw away picks/drafts? The 2000s Super Bowl teams had at least one pro bowl player at nearly every position and consistently hit on 1st round picks more than most teams, and now today he helped build a roster that had 10 pro bowlers on it last year, a roster that should have been good enough for the Super Bowl last year except that porous coaching got in the way

BlackAndGold
05-20-2018, 05:20 PM
*tries to hold it back*

*intensifies*

FIRE COLBERT!!!

hawaiiansteeler
05-20-2018, 10:42 PM
FIRE COLBERT!!!

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e268af2fbe68a64f94586539c57dba53/tenor.gif?itemid=3983540

86WARD
05-21-2018, 12:31 PM
What team doesn't have throw away picks/drafts? The 2000s Super Bowl teams had at least one pro bowl player at nearly every position and consistently hit on 1st round picks more than most teams, and now today he helped build a roster that had 10 pro bowlers on it last year, a roster that should have been good enough for the Super Bowl last year except that porous coaching got in the way

Throw away classes and multiple years in a row? I’d be willing to bet that doesn’t happen very often. I’m not knocking the guy, I’m just saying there’s some bad, there’s some good but the ultimate judge is his rosters have put up wins...

Mojouw
05-21-2018, 12:42 PM
http://pfref.com/tiny/gEprp

I'd put that 2000-2017 stretch up against anyone from the same era. There are misses, but there are multiple absolute home-runs.

Even the worst classes returned at least one viable NFL starter. Maybe not always for the Steelers...

86WARD
05-21-2018, 10:05 PM
I think most teams draft classes yield one “viable starter” somewhere in their draft class. I’m not sure that’s a hard thing to do. It’s hitting on the first couple rounds more times than not and finding a Brett Keisel and/or Antonio Brown in the later rounds that sets the GMs apart from one another. Even Rashard Mendenhall was a “viable starter” for a few games...but he wasn’t a good first round pick. But Colbert has hit on a lot of his first round picks...however, Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, Artie Burns (maybe) aren’t helping the 2013-2017 effort...although Ryan Shazier and seemingly TJ Watt are home runs.

pczach
05-22-2018, 06:04 AM
The only thing you need to know is this:

The Steelers organization doesn't make a habit of signing big free agents.

They are built from within through the draft.

They have been one of the most successful teams during the 2003-2017 stretch.

They have rebuilt what was an old roster and turned it into a young roster that is within a game or two of the Super Bowl without having a losing season.

They know what they're doing.

Many teams hit on a draft or two, have some success, or even win a Super Bowl....and then go back to sucking for years.

People need to look at every roster in the NFL and all their drafts and explain to me who has been better. If you know what you're looking at, you'll find that most teams just get lucky finding talent. They then go on a little run and then disappear because they can't sustain it....particularly when they start drafting late when they have a little success.

Colbert has kept this team and this roster viable nearly every year with the only exception being a couple 8-8 seasons. I know that having a great quarterback helps, but there is no denying that he is an elite GM. One of the best of his generation.

If it were easy to have a team consistently be successful, winning, and competing for championships, everyone would be doing it.

Don't knock the man.

teegre
05-22-2018, 06:56 AM
People tend to lump 2008 with 2008... and, 2009 was not that bad of a draft class.

Ziggy Hood was underwhelming (and probably miscast as a 3-4 DE). He’s still playing DT in this league; so, he’s not a bust (although, probably not worthy of a R1 pick).

Kraig Urbik has been a starter since he was drafted... alas, for another team. I’m not sure how he got cut. I blame the O-line coach back then for not recognizing Urbik’s talent.

Mike Wallace was a HOME RUN. He had 32 TDs in his first four seasons (which is/was only one less than Megatron). Just because it ended badly does not make this a bad pick.

Keenan Allen had mental problems, evidenced by breaking that glass encasement. He had one good season with the Saints, before he relapsed. He’s the Limas Sweed of this draft (but, at a cheaper price).

AQ Shipley has been a starter for a decade, most recently with the Cardinals.

David Johnson has had a decent career for a R7 pick.

SUMMATION:
I’d change the R1 pick (simply not a good fit), but I can’t argue against the other picks.

Lady Steel
05-28-2018, 12:51 AM
The only thing you need to know is this:

The Steelers organization doesn't make a habit of signing big free agents.

They are built from within through the draft.

They have been one of the most successful teams during the 2003-2017 stretch.

They have rebuilt what was an old roster and turned it into a young roster that is within a game or two of the Super Bowl without having a losing season.

They know what they're doing.

Many teams hit on a draft or two, have some success, or even win a Super Bowl....and then go back to sucking for years.

People need to look at every roster in the NFL and all their drafts and explain to me who has been better. If you know what you're looking at, you'll find that most teams just get lucky finding talent. They then go on a little run and then disappear because they can't sustain it....particularly when they start drafting late when they have a little success.

Colbert has kept this team and this roster viable nearly every year with the only exception being a couple 8-8 seasons. I know that having a great quarterback helps, but there is no denying that he is an elite GM. One of the best of his generation.

If it were easy to have a team consistently be successful, winning, and competing for championships, everyone would be doing it.

Don't knock the man.

Agreeance. I'm quite happy with Colbert and think he's doing a fine job.