PDA

View Full Version : Proposed new kickoff rules

mark0933
05-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Ok, can someone explain away a flaw I see in the potential new rules. There is a no blocking zone from the kickoff line that extends for 15 yards which the receiving team cannot engage with the kicking team in until the ball is touched or hits the ground. Unless they have changed another rule, the ball is live once it has traveled 10 yards.

So...would a kicking team not be able to pooch kick the ball in a looping in air style with an aim at it landing about 13 yards down field and as long as they can catch it in air effectively be uncontested?

I know that would take a pin point kick and a fast "receiver" to pull it off, but where is the flaw in my plan?

Craic
05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
You now have 8 or 9 players on the other team who all will be going for the ball as well. So, it is not uncontested by any means.

Mojouw
05-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Yeah. The Daves talked about a version of this on the Steelers Depot podcast awhile back. Painted a reasonable scenario where the rule changes to decrease concussions from returns actually increase concussions due to mad scrambles for pooched onsides kicks.

I for one kinda want to see this happen. While I do not want any harm to come to any players, it is highly entertaining to see the NFL just keep stepping on their own dicks.

AtlantaDan
05-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Yeah. The Daves talked about a version of this on the Steelers Depot podcast awhile back. Painted a reasonable scenario where the rule changes to decrease concussions from returns actually increase concussions due to mad scrambles for pooched onsides kicks.

I for one kinda want to see this happen. While I do not want any harm to come to any players, it is highly entertaining to see the NFL just keep stepping on their own dicks.

Same problems in NCAA level football trying to fix the unfixable

Duke coach David Cutcliffe (who coached up both Manning brothers in their college days) says to avoid creating new problems just end kickoffs.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article208917739.html

Mojouw
05-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Same problems in NCAA level football trying to fix the unfixable

Duke coach David Cutcliffe (who coached up both Manning brothers in their college days) says to avoid creating new problems just end kickoffs.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article208917739.html

I don't see how kickoff returns survive the next 3-5 years of the NFL and its modernization efforts to reduce violent collisions. Maybe at the NFL level, but I totally could see youth, high school, and some levels of college ball just doing away with it.

Born2Steel
05-17-2018, 05:32 PM
What's the big deal with kickoffs anyway? Just let them go away already. Won't change much of the actual game other than a few times a year somebody does break one for a score. I think I would like it better really. You score, kick the XP/GF2, other team gets the ball at their 20. Fewer bathroom breaks but better football, IMO.

FrancoLambert
05-17-2018, 05:36 PM
For all practical purposes, kickoffs are not a part of today's game.

Offense starts at the 25....problem solved.

Same for youth, high school, and college.

Born2Steel
05-17-2018, 05:38 PM
OK. 25 works for me too. Same thought.

teegre
05-17-2018, 08:47 PM
To start the game, they get the ball at the 20 (or 25). No one would really miss the kickoff returns.

The problem arises when a team wants to attempt an onside kick.

steelreserve
05-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Hey, by the NFL's logic, they should just make a rule against getting injured on kickoffs and that should take care of the problem. Since making more rules works for everything and whatnot.

tube517
05-17-2018, 09:29 PM
To start the game, they get the ball at the 20 (or 25). No one would really miss the kickoff returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zMk6R1uMk :chuckle:

Born2Steel
05-18-2018, 12:34 PM

That is actually a pretty big downside to doing away with the kickoff all together. A team down 10 with 2mins left is basically beaten in this scenario with no way to 'steal' a possession.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, can someone explain away a flaw I see in the potential new rules. There is a no blocking zone from the kickoff line that extends for 15 yards which the receiving team cannot engage with the kicking team in until the ball is touched or hits the ground. Unless they have changed another rule, the ball is live once it has traveled 10 yards.

So...would a kicking team not be able to pooch kick the ball in a looping in air style with an aim at it landing about 13 yards down field and as long as they can catch it in air effectively be uncontested?

I know that would take a pin point kick and a fast "receiver" to pull it off, but where is the flaw in my plan?

I see your point. The kicking team knows exactly where they will kick the ball and can run to a spot, whereas the receiving team can't block until the ball has travelled 15 yards. Every return team would need to be the 'hands' team.

Steelerchad
05-20-2018, 06:23 PM
I hate seeing it go. A kickoff return for a TD is one of the most exiting plays in football. I saw AB take one in Nashville his rookie year on the opening kickoff and it was probably a top 5 play I've seen live.

vader29
05-23-2018, 04:41 AM

86WARD
05-24-2018, 12:24 PM
What’s that do to the onside kick?

Lady Steel
05-28-2018, 12:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zMk6R1uMk :chuckle:

I'll never forget that atrocity. :doh2: :giggles: