PDA

View Full Version : You’d Think Ben Might Have Learned Something From the QB Whose Job He Took

hawaiiansteeler
05-08-2018, 12:56 AM
You’d Think Ben Roethlisberger Might Have Learned Something From the QB Whose Job He Took

Big Ben implied he might leave rookie quarterback (and potential heir) Mason Rudolph to fend for himself, a far cry from how incumbent Tommy Maddox mentored and praised Roethsliberger even as the rookie was supplanting him in 2004

By ROBERT KLEMKO May 07, 2018

Hey Big Ben, I have a quick question for you. I know you’re busy with a lot of radio these days, so I won’t take much of your time. I wonder, do you remember Tommy Maddox? You must not, or else you probably wouldn’t have questioned the Steelers’ decision to draft your potential successor after consecutive offseasons in which you hinted at impending retirement. And you certainly wouldn’t have pledged to withhold what would be some supremely valuable mentorship to Mason Rudolph, the 22-year-old quarterback your team drafted in the third round this year.

A refresher course for you, in case you forgot.

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/ben-roethlisberger-mason-rudolph-tommy-maddox-steelers-quarterbacks

pczach
05-08-2018, 06:01 AM
Does anyone really believe Ben thinks before he opens his mouth?

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2018, 08:19 AM
You’d Think Ben Roethlisberger Might Have Learned Something From the QB Whose Job He Took

Big Ben implied he might leave rookie quarterback (and potential heir) Mason Rudolph to fend for himself, a far cry from how incumbent Tommy Maddox mentored and praised Roethsliberger even as the rookie was supplanting him in 2004

By ROBERT KLEMKO May 07, 2018

Hey Big Ben, I have a quick question for you. I know you’re busy with a lot of radio these days, so I won’t take much of your time. I wonder, do you remember Tommy Maddox? You must not, or else you probably wouldn’t have questioned the Steelers’ decision to draft your potential successor after consecutive offseasons in which you hinted at impending retirement. And you certainly wouldn’t have pledged to withhold what would be some supremely valuable mentorship to Mason Rudolph, the 22-year-old quarterback your team drafted in the third round this year.

A refresher course for you, in case you forgot.

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/ben-roethlisberger-mason-rudolph-tommy-maddox-steelers-quarterbacks

That article is so much on point and true. Its a great read.

AtlantaDan
05-08-2018, 08:22 AM

My guess is this was premeditated.

Ben gets paid to go on 93.7 every Tuesday morning during the season and gets in trouble with some of his comments because he apparently blurts out whatever enters his head.

This was an offseason appearance on a Friday morning that I doubt he was required to make.

The Klemko article is a good read - while Ben is not the first HOF level QB who is not a good teammate it is unfortunate his off the field behavior has been such a cluster

teegre
05-08-2018, 08:43 AM
Right after this article was written, Ben blocked the author on Twitter.

As in:
The author struck a nerve with Ben, because it is true.

Edman
05-08-2018, 09:53 AM
I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

It's Ben's choice wether or not he will embrace Rudolph, but he's already made that choice. Lets see how Rudolph responds.

All of Pittsburgh will cheer for Ben on Sundays, but I'm willing to be bet once he retires, not many people will be shedding tears.

stillers4me
05-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Ben does not run his twitter account himself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tube517
05-08-2018, 10:04 AM
It clears up and confirms more about what Bettis said, what Dookie said about Ben being called out by Joey Porter in a team meeting (06 season), when Chuck Batch had to sit Ben down and tell him that he's a dick. Hines' friction w/Ben. Etc.

The parallels with Bradshaw are scarily there. Big, tall QBs who were gunslingers with sometimes unorthodox and ugly passes but carried the Steelers to greatness. Were both dumb womanizers who partied too much. Yet both need to stay the eff away from microphones. :lol:

At the end of the day, just hold your chin strong and roll your eyes like Cowher did.

steelreserve
05-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Interesting thing about this situation is: Unless Rudolph sucks beyond belief, I think it guarantees Ben has three years max left as the starter.

Maybe we'll tack on one year to his current deal but ... Rudolph's contract situation (and status as a non-R1 selection) starts a clock ticking, big-time. We need to find out what we've got before the end of his rookie deal. Which nicely coincides with Ben being age 40. I doubt we'll have Rudolph just sit on the bench all four years and then gamble a huge contract on a complete unknown. By that point, we have to know, either Rudolph's the guy (in which case we're not paying two QBs a huge salary), or we need to draft another quarterback.

It doesn't leave a lot of room for Ben unless Rudolph sucks nuts. But either way they're going to find that out, not just waste their rare "real" QB prospect just because Ben's barking about it. He ought to realize that if he stopped to think about the situation.

steel striker
05-08-2018, 10:17 AM
At times Ben brings this all on himself with comments of retirement just last year. Now he has changed his tune and, I still think he has a few good years left. There has been other QB's that did not embrace there possible replacement there is quite a list.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Interesting thing about this situation is: Unless Rudolph sucks beyond belief, I think it guarantees Ben has three years max left as the starter.

What if Ben has some kind of career threatening injury? What if the Steelers win the Lombardi this season and he decides to go out on top?

The drafting of a QB in the 3rd round, who some had a early 2nd round grade on, is just smart succession planning for a team with a 36 year old QB. There is no reason for a 2 time Super Bowl winning QB at the end of his career to get butt hurt about it. It just shows some insecurities of a guy that likes to get up slowly and dramatically from the occasional hit on a football field.

steelreserve
05-08-2018, 11:28 AM
What if Ben has some kind of career threatening injury? What if the Steelers win the Lombardi this season and he decides to go out on top?

The drafting of a QB in the 3rd round, who some had a early 2nd round grade on, is just smart succession planning for a team with a 36 year old QB. There is no reason for a 2 time Super Bowl winning QB at the end of his career to get butt hurt about it. It just shows some insecurities of a guy that likes to get up slowly and dramatically from the occasional hit on a football field.

Well, yeah, I 100% think it was the right move to draft a guy now when we had a rare chance to do it. This is just the first time the "QB of the Future" thing is real and not just a bunch of random longshot project guys, so it has a different feel to it.

Like, we weren't going to have any important decisions to make three years after drafting Dennis Dixon or Landry Jones, other than "is he worth keeping as a backup or can we trade him for anything." This time I think we do.

I don't get why Ben would be upset about it though - I mean, he's the ONLY guy still on the team from when he originally came into the league, so unless he's deaf and blind, he ought to know everyone's time is up eventually, and he's had an exceptionally long career already by NFL standards.

tom444
05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Where is it written that the starting QB has to show a rookie the ropes? Is that part of the job description?

steelreserve
05-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Where is it written that the starting QB has to show a rookie the ropes? Is that part of the job description?

The coaches are in charge of making the team win, and the club is paying you to do what the coaches say ... so yeah, it kind of is your job.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2018, 12:27 PM

It isn't. But I like to help teach more junior employees at my work, so they don't have to struggle as much as I did to learn it on their own. Its not in the job description but I like to think that the more proficient people in my company, the better we are than other competitive organizations. Its kind of like, if I make my teammates better, it makes our team better overall.

Born2Steel
05-08-2018, 12:29 PM
You guys are all hilarious.

hawaiiansteeler
05-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Crash's response to this same article on another message board: :rofl2:

"That article was complete shit. Didn't mention how Maddox and his agent Vann McElroy were upset that they drafted Ben. Didn't mention that some of the comments he's listing in the article Ben was clearly talking in a sarcastic tone.

For this SI joker actually state that Ben's legacy is on the line? That is downright comical."

tube517
05-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Crash's response to this same article on another message board: :rofl2:

"That article was complete shit. Didn't mention how Maddox and his agent Vann McElroy were upset that they drafted Ben. Didn't mention that some of the comments he's listing in the article Ben was clearly talking in a sarcastic tone.

For this SI joker actually state that Ben's legacy is on the line? That is downright comical."

LOL. I thought Crash would be too busy jerking off to his own picture ever since Haley's contract wasn't renewed.

DesertSteel
05-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Or thinks after he opens his mouth?

- - - Updated - - -

Right after this article was written, Ben blocked the author on Twitter.

As in:
The author struck a nerve with Ben, because it is true.
That's what drama queens do...

bendsteel
05-08-2018, 07:09 PM
I guess I have one pretty simple question for y'all. Is there anyone, I mean ANYONE here that actually thinks Ben will be playing(honestly at any level, but) great football in 4-5 years time???? MHO is ....no chance. No how. No way. Between physical injury, attitude issues and just normal decline. I just cannot see him playing great ball for more than 3 if even that. He talks like the whole thing is up to him and his whims. Not the case. Can you imagine if MR came in and just lit things up from day one(I doubt it too), but just imagine BB when/if he becomes completely expendable! He should try and not go out like Jimmy Hairyson.

DesertSteel
05-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Ben likely has 2 more years of top level play.

vasteeler
05-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Damn... Bunch of Ben haters in here

tom444
05-08-2018, 08:16 PM
The coaches are in charge of making the team win, and the club is paying you to do what the coaches say ... so yeah, it kind of is your job.

Ben's job is to play not teach the new kid. Work with him on the game plans, etc., sure, but bring him along as an NFL player? No.

tom444
05-08-2018, 08:23 PM
It isn't. But I like to help teach more junior employees at my work, so they don't have to struggle as much as I did to learn it on their own. Its not in the job description but I like to think that the more proficient people in my company, the better we are than other competitive organizations. Its kind of like, if I make my teammates better, it makes our team better overall.

Good for you, seriously, but that's your choice. If another employee choses not to do that, doesn't make him a bad employee. And in all honesty I do what you do, but in total honesty I do it because it gives me an excuse to run my mouth.

tom444
05-08-2018, 09:30 PM
You think he's worried about whether he should help a rookie or not?

http://www.patriots.com/sites/patriots.com/files/styles/borealis_no_limit_respondsmall/public/embedded-photos/ap_18128096015298.jpg?itok=rUCa3gbm

Shoes
05-08-2018, 09:58 PM
You think he's worried about whether he should help a rookie or not?

http://www.patriots.com/sites/patriots.com/files/styles/borealis_no_limit_respondsmall/public/embedded-photos/ap_18128096015298.jpg?itok=rUCa3gbm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja47-Ctd04c

fansince'76
05-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Ben does not run his twitter account himself.

Shhh...mustn't interrupt the "Ben is the biggest prick in the universe" narrative...

It clears up and confirms more about what Bettis said, what Dookie said about Ben being called out by Joey Porter in a team meeting (06 season), when Chuck Batch had to sit Ben down and tell him that he's a dick. Hines' friction w/Ben. Etc.

Hines carries a healthy share of the blame for that as well. Remember him essentially questioning Ben's manhood on national TV for self-reporting a concussion and sitting out a game back in 2009 after getting his bell rung? Hines had a pretty big mouth when it came to popping off to the media himself, as I recall.

Crash's response to this same article on another message board: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

In this case, Crash is pretty much right-on, though, IMO. Just because he's somewhat of a nut doesn't make him automatically wrong about everything.

Not only that, but Turnover Tommy also sucked ass as a QB, by and large, so the two situations aren't exactly the best comparison to begin with.

True, but where has it even been demonstrated that he won't do exactly that? Can people at least wait until he actually leaves Rudolph hanging in OTAs and TC before crucifying him?

If one of the constants of Roethlisberger's career has been popping off before thinking about what he's saying, another is a fairly decent percentage of the fanbase parsing every single statement he makes and then jumping all over his shit regardless of what he says.

tom444
05-09-2018, 12:12 AM
True, but where has it even been demonstrated that he won't do exactly that? Can people at least wait until he actually leaves Rudolph hanging in OTAs and TC before crucifying him?

True enough, but I just don't think Bens the come over here and I'll take you under my wing type. And I have no problem with that. They got on Favre for not looking after Rogers, but that's not who Favre was.

fansince'76
05-09-2018, 12:19 AM
True enough, but I just don't think Bens the come over here and I'll take you under my wing type. And I have no problem with that. They got on Favre for not looking after Rogers, but that's not who Favre was.

:noidea:

Roethlisberger, who will be heading into his 15th season with the Steelers, never hesitated to help Dobbs, giving him tips, advice, and insight on a regular basis.

“He would always give different coaching points on the field of different footwork, different things in the film room when we were watching games, just kind of explaining why he did something in a specific situation,” said Dobbs. “To have that resource, and then you have Randy (Fichtner) who’s been a great resource for Ben and who’s able to also give more insight into what he’s thinking and how he goes about his business, also gives you a lot of knowledge as well.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/Dobbs-It-was-a-different-season/4e25e1a6-1746-4859-be92-4d077cc2157b

tom444
05-09-2018, 12:25 AM
Ok, maybe I'm wrong. I'm only vested in one thing, watching good football.

fansince'76
05-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Ok, maybe I'm wrong.

Or maybe you're not. All I'm saying is let's wait and see. I think Roethlisberger's at least earned the benefit of the doubt here.

hawaiiansteeler
05-09-2018, 12:29 AM
In this case, Crash is pretty much right-on, though, IMO. Just because he's somewhat of a nut doesn't make him automatically wrong about everything.

Not only that, but Turnover Tommy also sucked ass as a QB, by and large, so the two situations aren't exactly the best comparison to begin with.

I didn't say he was wrong, it just amuses me how seriously Crash takes it anytime someone says anything even remotely against his demi-god Ben.

fansince'76
05-09-2018, 12:30 AM
I didn't say he was wrong, it just amuses me how seriously Crash takes it anytime someone says anything even remotely against his demi-god Ben.

His obsessive hatred of Haley was comical. :chuckle:

pczach
05-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Well, when it comes to Ben.....thinking is a relative term. :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
05-09-2018, 10:16 AM
His obsessive hatred of Haley was comical. :chuckle:

"His" meaning Crash or Ben?:wink02:

hawaiiansteeler
05-09-2018, 01:51 PM
"His" meaning Crash or Ben?:wink02:

the way Crash constantly defends Ben I'm thinking Crash might be Ben's mother :chuckle:

smokin3000gt
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM

If your job description is team leader then yes.

43Hitman
05-09-2018, 04:26 PM
the way Crash constantly defends Ben I'm thinking Crash might be Ben's mother :chuckle:

Maybe Crash is......................................BEN! I mean he did crash into an old woman's car head first. :chuckle:

tube517
05-11-2018, 07:47 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23464524/tommy-maddox-says-ben-roethlisberger-treat-rookie-mason-rudolph-respect

"I think all of us, when you're playing, you owe it to your teammates to be respectful and do what's best for the team and all that.

"I don't think it's a situation where Ben owes it or that's his job or whatever. But it is his job as a leader of the team to lead the team and make sure there's no distractions."

tube517
05-11-2018, 07:56 AM

AtlantaDan
05-11-2018, 09:00 AM

Agreed - which is why going on 93.7 to free associate whatever is going through your head and settle scores is not part of the job description and should end

GBMelBlount
05-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Maybe Crash is......................................BEN! I mean he did crash into an old woman's car head first. :chuckle:

Bwaaahaaaaahaaaa! That was REALLY bad AND hysterical! :rofl2:

tom444
05-11-2018, 09:51 AM
If your job description is team leader then yes.

I'm not sure that's true.

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Agreed - which is why going on 93.7 to free associate whatever is going through your head and settle scores is not part of the job description and should end
That's right. And Rudolph said it's my job to work hard and learn. That's his job. Ben doesn't have to show him anything, but he also doesn't have to go out of his way to announce to the world that he's not going to help him. If Ben is focused on his job of winning a championship (a job that he's failed at for 10 years), then he just needs to say I'm focused on winning a championship. Why is it that a rookie gets it but a 15-year vet doesn't?

Mojouw
05-11-2018, 11:36 AM
The bottom line for me, is that I don't think Ben is very smart. And as a result he often says or does stupid things, because he is kinda stupid.

He won't be the first or last pro athlete to exhibit these traits. For the life of me I do not understand why he never passes up an opportunity to go on radio or tv and just yammer on. Why expose one of your biggest weaknesses?

Whatever - at least he is an idiot savant for 60 minutes every Sunday during the season. Well, at least most Sundays - except for those 2 per year he seems to skip game prep for!

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm curious what Ben's Wonderlic score was... anyone know?

EDIT: Google says 25......... He likely lacks EQ (severely).

Shoes
05-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Yep Bob Blabriola knows all about talk

Butch
05-11-2018, 01:55 PM
I just went back and listened to the interview where Ben Allegedly throws Mason under the bus. I distinctly heard Ben say he would help him if he comes to him BUT that he needs to focus on getting himself ready 1st. This coming from the same guy who when we won 43 gave all the credit to his o-line and when we lose always takes it on himself...what a terrible teammate. The thing that I got from that interview was that Ben helped mentor both Dobbs and Jones in the past and that he was more concerned about them than himself. Seems to me that haters are gonna hate.

Ben hasn't won a Superbowl in the past 10 years really got me laughing. How many years was it between Ben's 1st Superbowl win and Terry's last? Yes we had one appearance with Neil O'Donnel but I don't hear many Steeler fans clamoring to get him back. IDK maybe some of you would prefer having him to Ben??? Other than shady brady (who cheated), and Peyton, no other QB has been to more Super bowls than Ben.

Oh and lets not forget that Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season and has only had 1 QB at the helm during that span.

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 02:04 PM
I just went back and listened to the interview where Ben Allegedly throws Mason under the bus. I distinctly heard Ben say he would help him if he comes to him BUT that he needs to focus on getting himself ready 1st. This coming from the same guy who when we won 43 gave all the credit to his o-line and when we lose always takes it on himself...what a terrible teammate. The thing that I got from that interview was that Ben helped mentor both Dobbs and Jones in the past and that he was more concerned about them than himself. Seems to me that haters are gonna hate.

Ben hasn't won a Superbowl in the past 10 years really got me laughing. How many years was it between Ben's 1st Superbowl win and Terry's last? Yes we had one appearance with Neil O'Donnel but I don't hear many Steeler fans clamoring to get him back. IDK maybe some of you would prefer having him to Ben??? Other than shady brady (who cheated), and Peyton, no other QB has been to more Super bowls than Ben.

Oh and lets not forget that Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season and has only had 1 QB at the helm during that span.
You must have listened with your special Ben filters if you think Ben was behaving maturely and with great leadership. Lol.

hawaiiansteeler
05-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Tomlin can only avoid losing seasons with Cowher's players as his QB. :stirthepot:

tom444
05-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Some of the highest wonderlic scores

Pat McInally
P

Mike Mamula
LB

Ryan Fitzpatrick
QB

Greg McElroy
QB

Benjamin Watson
TE

Kevin Curtis
WR

Matt Birk
OL

Jason Maas
QB

Eric Decker
WR

Blaine Gabbert
QB

Drew Henson
QB

Pete Kendall
LB

Ryan Nassib
QB

Bruce Eugene
QB

Hugh Millen
QB

Calvin Johnson
WR

Carson Wentz
QB

Alex Smith
QB

Darrell Hackney
QB

Jeff Matthews
QB

Sean Mannion
QB

Eli Manning
QB

look for historic scores

http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

Benjamin Watson. The guy is built like superman and he got a 48 wonderlic score. Some people get it all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Tomlin can only avoid losing seasons with Cowher's players as his QB. :stirthepot:

Exactly, why is he even still here?

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Some of the highest wonderlic scores

Pat McInally
P

Mike Mamula
LB

Ryan Fitzpatrick
QB

Greg McElroy
QB

Benjamin Watson
TE

Kevin Curtis
WR

Matt Birk
OL

Jason Maas
QB

Eric Decker
WR

Blaine Gabbert
QB

Drew Henson
QB

Pete Kendall
LB

Ryan Nassib
QB

Bruce Eugene
QB

Hugh Millen
QB

Calvin Johnson
WR

Carson Wentz
QB

Alex Smith
QB

Darrell Hackney
QB

Jeff Matthews
QB

Sean Mannion
QB

Eli Manning
QB

look for historic scores

http://wonderlictestsample.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

Benjamin Watson. The guy is built like superman and he got a 48 wonderlic score. Some people get it all.
How many on this forum know what their Wonderlic score is?

hawaiiansteeler
05-11-2018, 03:26 PM
How many on this forum know what their Wonderlic score is?

51 :nerd:

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 04:02 PM
51 :nerd:
Extra credit for putting your name at the top.

hawaiiansteeler
05-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Extra credit for putting your name at the top.

AND spelling it correctly! :thumbsup:

43Hitman
05-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Bwaaahaaaaahaaaa! That was REALLY bad AND hysterical! :rofl2:

I figured it has been long enough. :chuckle:

stillers4me
05-11-2018, 04:37 PM

Craic
05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
I just went back and listened to the interview where Ben Allegedly throws Mason under the bus

I just did the same thing. Funny how the context of the entire interview makes his comments seem pretty bland. He actually praised Mason's QB play although he said he didn't know much about him. He also said that Landry has spearheaded the development of younger QBs on the team and does it probably to take a little of Ben's plate so Ben can be ready for the season. Oh, and the whole "Did the Steelers screw up their pick" comment wasn't actually a question directed at the Steelers FO. The host said he had spoken to the coaches the day before and Ben was asking for clarification.

I have no problem throwing Ben under the bus when he deserves it. In this case, however, it's much ado about nothing, I think. Thankfully, Mason sees it the same way.

Butch
05-11-2018, 05:29 PM
You must have listened with your special Ben filters if you think Ben was behaving maturely and with great leadership. Lol.

Funny the backup QB must have listened with those very same filters. Much ado about nothing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000932522/Mason-Rudolph-The-media-got-kind-of-twisted-around-over-Big-Ben-s-comments

GBMelBlount
05-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Ben Roethlisberger texted Mason Rudolph before the start of Steelers' rookie minicamp

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-texted-mason-rudolph-before-the-start-of-steelers-rookie-minicamp/

http://lifechangesgroup.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/two-men-on-the-beach-at-sunset-holding-hands1.jpg

tube517
05-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Ben Roethlisberger texted Mason Rudolph before the start of Steelers' rookie minicamp

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-texted-mason-rudolph-before-the-start-of-steelers-rookie-minicamp/

http://lifechangesgroup.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/two-men-on-the-beach-at-sunset-holding-hands1.jpg

http://drinkinggamezone.com/img/games/movie/step-brothers.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
05-11-2018, 06:20 PM
http://drinkinggamezone.com/img/games/movie/step-brothers.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8nYNb3k.jpg

GBMelBlount
05-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Brokeback quarterback.

https://i.imgur.com/8nYNb3k.jpg

DesertSteel
05-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Funny the backup QB must have listened with those very same filters. Much ado about nothing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/0ap3000000932522/Mason-Rudolph-The-media-got-kind-of-twisted-around-over-Big-Ben-s-comments
That’s because the backups have enough class to not stir drama when none is needed.

The reality is that you can’t turn on a national outlet in the past couple days where they are not chiding Ben for his immaturity. Whether he meant it that way or not, at this stage of his career and life he should know better.

teegre
05-11-2018, 08:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGRNMLR3rg&app=desktop

Butch
05-11-2018, 09:11 PM
That’s because the backups have enough class to not stir drama when none is needed.

The reality is that you can’t turn on a national outlet in the past couple days where they are not chiding Ben for his immaturity. Whether he meant it that way or not, at this stage of his career and life he should know better.

LOL so if it's in the press it has to be true. Never mind what the 2 qbs are saying let's focus on what they "Really mean" and who would know better than the "PRESS".

Craic
05-12-2018, 03:35 AM
LOL so if it's in the press it has to be true. Never mind what the 2 qbs are saying let's focus on what they "Really mean" and who would know better than the "PRESS".
To be fair, I think DS means Ben should know better than to give the press things they can run with at this stage in his career. On that point, I agree with him. Still, it's much Ado about nothing in the end.

Butch
05-12-2018, 06:13 AM
To be fair, I think DS means Ben should know better than to give the press things they can run with at this stage in his career. On that point, I agree with him. Still, it's much Ado about nothing in the end.

On this we disagree. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with being fair. Some in Steeler Nation, and even on this board, just don't like Ben and it really is as simple as that. If it's not what he says then it's how he says it. Nothing Ben does or says will ever be good enough.

Ben hasn't won a SB in 10 years as if it's as easy as falling out of bed and hitting your head . How many other QBs have never even been to the SB let alone win it?

DesertSteel
05-12-2018, 08:56 AM
On this we disagree. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with being fair. Some in Steeler Nation, and even on this board, just don't like Ben and it really is as simple as that. If it's not what he says then it's how he says it. Nothing Ben does or says will ever be good enough.

Ben hasn't won a SB in 10 years as if it's as easy as falling out of bed and hitting your head . How many other QBs have never even been to the SB let alone win it?
Some of us can appreciate his play on the field and yet still acknowledge his immaturity off the field. He's a drama queen. Everyone in the national media can see it and most in Steeler Nation. Some choose not to. It's the offseason and this is a message board. When Ben says things to stir the pot, we're gonna talk about it. When the season starts I hope he wins MVP.

GBMelBlount
05-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Some of us can appreciate his play on the field and yet still acknowledge his immaturity off the field. He's a drama queen. Everyone in the national media can see it and most in Steeler Nation. Some choose not to.

It's the offseason and this is a message board.

When Ben says things to stir the pot, we're gonna talk about it. When the season starts I hope he wins MVP.

Agreed.

I think a lot of people here just enjoy the conversation and banter with fellow Steelers fans while we wait for the season to start.

Born2Steel
05-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Agreed.

I think a lot of people here just enjoy the conversation and banter with fellow Steelers fans while we wait for the season to start.

While this is 100% true, some of us get tired of every thread turning into the same tabloid conversation and banter. This particular thread seems to be made just for that purpose so it fits here. But there are some threads that have been started to talk actual team/football topics that have been hijacked into becoming the same thread banter basically. Could just be my own personal need for organization and order, but when every thread that is started devolves into bickering about the same 2-3 players, it becomes much less interesting around here.

Speaking of....heard on a podcast recently about the QB situation when Ben was drafted. Ben was actually the 4th QB on the depth chart at the time, much like Rudolph now. Injuries to 2 guys during preseason moved Ben to the #2 spot, and then the Maddox injury got Ben his first start, and the rest is awesomeness. I am not suggesting the same thing happen now by any stretch. Just saying the future is always fluid and 'shit' always happens. I think we improved the QB room and however the players feel about it, the fans should have more confidence moving forward now.

Butch
05-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Some of us can appreciate his play on the field and yet still acknowledge his immaturity off the field. He's a drama queen. Everyone in the national media can see it and most in Steeler Nation. Some choose not to. It's the offseason and this is a message board. When Ben says things to stir the pot, we're gonna talk about it. When the season starts I hope he wins MVP.

You seem to hold the national media in high regards, I do not. The National media who wants to sell their own opinions as fact vs what Ben actually says. Ben clearly states that he will help Mason if he comes to him, but yeah he is the drama queen in all this, and the national media is above reproach.

DesertSteel
05-12-2018, 10:29 AM
You seem to hold the national media in high regards, I do not. The National media who wants to sell their own opinions as fact vs what Ben actually says. Ben clearly states that he will help Mason if he comes to him, but yeah he is the drama queen in all this, and the national media is above reproach.
You completely miss my point. I'm not holding them in high regard, I'm acknowledging that Ben continues to give them stories over the years. When Steelers' fans deny that Ben does this, it comes across like Patriots' fans denying that NE has ever cheated.

GBMelBlount
05-12-2018, 10:43 AM
While this is 100% true, some of us get tired of every thread turning into the same tabloid conversation and banter. This particular thread seems to be made just for that purpose so it fits here. But there are some threads that have been started to talk actual team/football topics that have been hijacked into becoming the same thread banter basically. Could just be my own personal need for organization and order, but when every thread that is started devolves into bickering about the same 2-3 players, it becomes much less interesting around here.

Speaking of....heard on a podcast recently about the QB situation when Ben was drafted.

Ben was actually the 4th QB on the depth chart at the time, much like Rudolph now.

Injuries to 2 guys during preseason moved Ben to the #2 spot, and then the Maddox injury got Ben his first start, and the rest is awesomeness.

I am not suggesting the same thing happen now by any stretch. Just saying the future is always fluid and 'shit' always happens. I think we improved the QB room and however the players feel about it, the fans should have more confidence moving forward now.

I understand and mentioned somewhere that despite typically missing only a few games a season if knocked out, he (or anyone for that matter) could snap their leg and be out for the season on any given play.

So I do think the Rudolph signing was excellent.

Butch
05-12-2018, 12:21 PM
You completely miss my point. I'm not holding them in high regard, I'm acknowledging that Ben continues to give them stories over the years. When Steelers' fans deny that Ben does this, it comes across like Patriots' fans denying that NE has ever cheated.

You have yet to show me how Ben came off as a drama queen in his interview. If you listen to the whole interview you will hear him say that he will help Mason if he comes to him, a glaring example of Ben being the leader that you previously questioned. When I tell you that Mason himself has stated this is much ado about nothing you completely dismiss it as him not wanting to stir the pot. I have seen the National press insinuate as much and it is an opinion on what someone believes Mason is trying to communicate based on one's own bias. I have no idea if Mason is just trying to not stir the pot or if he truly means what he says, so for now I will take the man at his word.

DesertSteel
05-12-2018, 02:02 PM
You have yet to show me how Ben came off as a drama queen in his interview. If you listen to the whole interview you will hear him say that he will help Mason if he comes to him, a glaring example of Ben being the leader that you previously questioned. When I tell you that Mason himself has stated this is much ado about nothing you completely dismiss it as him not wanting to stir the pot. I have seen the National press insinuate as much and it is an opinion on what someone believes Mason is trying to communicate based on one's own bias. I have no idea if Mason is just trying to not stir the pot or if he truly means what he says, so for now I will take the man at his word.
We'll just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

tube517
05-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEbbU9ZPv4

GBMelBlount
05-12-2018, 06:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEbbU9ZPv4

https://www.mememaker.net/api/bucket?path=static/img/memes/full/2014/Jul/31/19/dont-worry-its-only-banter.jpg

Steelerchad
05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Chances are Ben gets injured at some point for a few games in the next 2 seasons and we get a chance to see if this kids got it or not. That's usually how it happens. It's almost never a nice, clean handoff. Timing will likely not go as planned and the end for Ben will likely be abrupt. Hopefully he wins a SB in the next 3 years and calls it a career.

steel striker
05-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Plus the media as had nothing else better to talk about.

vasteeler
05-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Agreed 100%

Hawkman
05-15-2018, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I really wish Ben would just regurgitate all the stock answers that most everyone else does....NOT. Rich Eisen was like a dog with a bone, couldn’t let go of what Ben said.....meanwhile Cowherd totally agreed with what Ben said. How strange is that.

Fire Goodell
05-15-2018, 06:27 PM

https://media.makeameme.org/created/patriots-fans-be-61b8kv.jpg

JayC
05-16-2018, 05:56 AM
ben is worried that Rudolph might be good and he is one injury away from losing his job. I hope Rudolph is good but he has just as much chance to be a Landry Jones . not sure why ben is so worried

teegre
05-16-2018, 06:17 AM
Things I trust Ben to do:
-throw the ball to AB
-lead this team
-be awesome
-make “WOW!!!” plays
-win SuperBowls

Things I do NOT trust Ben to do:
-speak
-hang out with my daughter
-ride motorcycles

DesertSteel
05-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I really wish Ben would just regurgitate all the stock answers that most everyone else does....NOT. Rich Eisen was like a dog with a bone, couldn’t let go of what Ben said.....meanwhile Cowherd totally agreed with what Ben said. How strange is that.
Cowherd makes a living from taking the alternate view. That's his schtick.

- - - Updated - - -

-throw the ball to AB
-lead this team
-be awesome
-make “WOW!!!” plays
-win SuperBowls

-speak
-ride motorcycles
Lol

Mojouw
05-16-2018, 10:24 AM
-throw the ball to AB
-lead this team
-be awesome
-make “WOW!!!” plays
-win SuperBowls

-speak
-ride motorcycles

Deep Thoughts by Ben Roethlisberger:

https://lh3.ggpht.com/p_4CpEbK-JA2sx_Kq-CVNTqQeiZADrMJKsol-GV8QK8aJ6gCXgTVJ98SdUCmRyUEJUg=s180

Lady Steel
05-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Damn... Bunch of Ben haters in here

Yep. If anyone thinks Ben isn't going to help Rudolph, they're dumber than a bag of hair. Of course, that's what happens when some people get their "news" from Twitter. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

:applaudit:

- - - Updated - - -

-speak
-ride motorcycles

:lol:

teegre
05-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Deep Thoughts by Ben Roethlisberger:

https://lh3.ggpht.com/p_4CpEbK-JA2sx_Kq-CVNTqQeiZADrMJKsol-GV8QK8aJ6gCXgTVJ98SdUCmRyUEJUg=s180

“I can picture a world without war, a world without hate. I can also picture us attacking that world... because, they would never expect it.”