PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Best Value Pick in 2018 Draft?

GBMelBlount
05-06-2018, 08:40 AM
While I am most excited about what James Washington can add on offense THIS season, I think Swiss Knife Samuels may be the best value.

Your thoughts?

Mojouw
05-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Yeah. I tend to agree. Samuels is going to be one of those guys that in a few seasons, everyone will be like he lasted until what round?

The other potential possibility is Chuks. IF he becomes a starting OT in the NFL, 3rd round will be a massive value.

GBMelBlount
05-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Yeah. I tend to agree. Samuels is going to be one of those guys that in a few seasons, everyone will be like he lasted until what round?

The other potential possibility is Chuks. IF he becomes a starting OT in the NFL, 3rd round will be a massive value.

I cannot think of a better calculated risk than to a draft a raw and shapeable lineman with huge potential and have Munchak teach him the right way to play tackle in the NFL.

I also think taking Rudolph in the 3rd was a very smart calulated risk. He likely has at least 3 years to develop and we got him at a great price.

Cyphon25
05-06-2018, 12:44 PM
I like the Samuels pick but truthfully he might not even make the roster so not sure how great the value there is.

Best value is easily Rudolph if there really was a 1st round grade on him. Worst value was easily Chuks.

All of this is subject to change in the future though.

teegre
05-06-2018, 12:54 PM
In recent drafts, the Steelers seem to do the following:

R1: an athletic freak
R2: a steal
R3-R4: a QB who “could” be the heir apparent
R3-R4: Munchak chooses “his guy”
R5-R7: a misfit “jack of all trades”

Edmunds, Watt, Burns, Dupree, Shazier, DeCastro

Washington, JuJu, Tuitt, Bell, Gilbert

Rudolph, Dobbs, Jones

Okarofor, Hawkins, Johnson

Samuels, Allen, Feeney, Walton

GBMelBlount
05-06-2018, 01:11 PM
I like the Samuels pick but truthfully he might not even make the roster so not sure how great the value there is.

Best value is easily Rudolph if there really was a 1st round grade on him. Worst value was easily Chuks.

All of this is subject to change in the future though.

Understood.

I am not big on predictions, however I predict Samuels makes the team this year because of his versatility value and the team likely needing more time to figure out how to best use him.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I cannot think of a better calculated risk than to a draft a raw and shapeable lineman with huge potential and have Munchak teach him the right way to play tackle in the NFL.

I also think taking Rudolph in the 3rd was a very smart calulated risk. He likely has at least 3 years to develop and we got him at a great price.

:iagree:

Mojouw
05-06-2018, 03:33 PM
In recent drafts, the Steelers seem to do the following:

R1: an athletic freak
R2: a steal
R3-R4: a QB who “could” be the heir apparent
R3-R4: Munchak chooses “his guy”
R5-R7: a misfit “jack of all trades”

Edmunds, Watt, Burns, Dupree, Shazier, DeCastro

Washington, JuJu, Tuitt, Bell, Gilbert

Rudolph, Dobbs, Jones

Okarofor, Hawkins, Johnson

Samuels, Allen, Feeney, Walton

http://fudo-puchi.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/nailed-it-meme-94-best-nailed-it-memes-images-on-pinterest-it-memes-nailed-it-free.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2018, 07:34 PM
I predict Samuels makes the team this year because of his versatility value and the team likely needing more time to figure out how to best use him.

How Jaylen Samuels can be just what the doctor ordered for the Steelers offense

The Steelers newest offensive weapon could be a game changer.

By BuzzkillSteelers
May 6, 2018

Considering the Pittsburgh Steelers draft class, outside of the Terrell Edmunds pick, there seemed to be significant value overall in the draft. However, on my big board and overall, Jaylen Samuels was the best value. Graded to be a early third rounder by me, I found Samuels to be the most intriguing offensive prospect in the draft. It is not because he is necessarily the best, or the most explosive athlete in the draft, but what it is a lock and key fit for the Steelers.

Samuels is not only a RB, but a WR, TE, and FB. Never doubt what he can add, but also who the guy is overall. Samuels is the most versatile player in the draft. He can move chains, he can run routes, and he can run out of the backfield. There is not much more you could ask of the guy. It inherently should find him snaps due to this versatility, so let’s see how he fits within the offense.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/6/17305804/how-jaylen-samuels-can-be-just-what-the-doctor-ordered-for-the-steelers-offense-leveon-bell-nfl

steelreserve
05-06-2018, 07:55 PM
I don't know how in the hell you can tell what the "best value" is when all of the players have zero NFL games played. The best value is going to be whoever turns out to be a star, and we would literally have better odds predicting 7 hands of blackjack.

Assuming all of them turned out to be "decent starter" level, then the best value far and away would be Rudolph. Probably followed by Frazier, Allen, Okarogokogopofo, and Samuels that order.

Out of all the guys in the bottom half of the draft, Samuels seems like easily the most boom-or-bust pick. I don't think he's going to fart around being mediocre - either he'll be an electric player or an incredibly frustrating waste of space. Frazier may have the best chance of turning into that under-the-radar guy who's a solid contributor. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

DesertSteel
05-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Mason Rudolph. He'll end of having the best career of the 2018 class.

BlackAndGold
05-07-2018, 01:05 AM
It has to be Rudolph, if he becomes a stud this draft an an A+ no matter how the others have panned out.

I really like Washington, I believe he'll replicate JuJu rookies season which is great news for this offense.

Steeldude
05-07-2018, 05:01 AM
While I am most excited about what James Washington can add on offense THIS season, I think Swiss Knife Samuels may be the best value.

Your thoughts?

Hopefully Samuels will not be another Gordy Lockbaum.

Shoes
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Rudolph...Ben's nightmare. :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
05-07-2018, 02:05 PM
I hope Rudolph because that means we have a franchise QB

As for Samuels, I'm glad this pick isn't someone who weighs like 150 lbs like rainey or archer. This kid looks like he could handle the physicality of playing in the NFL. 4.54 speed isn't bad for a running back his size either. People have been comparing his game to Mewelde Moore, and if he ends up being that type of player, then awesome. Moore production out of a 5th round pick is a steal.