PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Wonders If Steelers Screwed Up Dobbs Selection

stillers4me
05-05-2018, 07:09 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers surprised a few people this past weekend when they selected former Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third-round of the 2018 NFL Draft and starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was one of them. Roethlisberger, who was interviewed Friday morning on (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/audio/cook-and-poni/ben-roethlisberger-steelers-qb/) 93.7 the Fan, let it be known that he was indeed surprised that the Steelers drafted Rudolph in the third-round even though he made an early offseason commitment to playing at least three more seasons.

“Yeah, I told them right away so it wasn’t like it was a big surprise,” Roethlisberger said about him telling the team immediately after the 2017 season had ended that he wants to play at least three more seasons if he can stay healthy. “I wanted them to know so that they wouldn’t have to worry about drafting a quarterback............

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/roethlisberger-surprised-rudolph-was-drafted-wonders-if-steelers-screwed-up-dobbs-selection/

Texasteel
05-05-2018, 07:22 AM
I think the key words here are, " if he can stay healthy"

fansince'76
05-05-2018, 07:23 AM
Roethlisberger may want to review his Steelers history, particularly at the QB position between 1983 and 2004.

And considering this team's history at the position overall, the chances that they screwed up the not only the Dobbs pick, but the Rudolph pick as well are at least fair-to-middling.

And there's really not much question at this point that Landry Jones is a dud à la Stoudt, Malone, Brister, etc., etc.

BlackAndGold
05-05-2018, 01:28 PM
https://m.popkey.co/f3d352/qrzZG_s-200x150.gif

Talking too much

st33lersguy
05-05-2018, 02:46 PM
A message to Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C9MpYs0T8

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Josh Dobbs shows Ben Roethlisberger how to act with a little dignity

By: Simon A Chester

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ selection of Mason Rudolph in the third-round of the NFL Draft has unquestionably hit a nerve with the 14-year veteran Ben Roethlisberger. After sharing his thoughts with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday, he doubled down on his comments on Friday with another ill-advised bout of sharing on the Cook and Poni radio show on 93.7 The Fan.

In yet another example of how not to respond to your team drafting a player at your position, Roethlisberger made himself look rather petty once again. While Big Ben has taken the tack of trashing the pick, it was down to the youngest quarterback on the roster to show the veteran how to act with a little dignity.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/05/josh-dobbs-shows-ben-roethlisberger-how-to-act-with-a-little-dignity/

86WARD
05-05-2018, 04:23 PM
If they cut Dobbs or he gets signed off a practice squad, they clearly did waste that pick.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Second-year quarterback Josh Dobbs (No. 5) has looked confident throwing the ball this offseason. Dobbs is one of three quarterbacks - including Landry Jones and rookie Mason Rudolph - vying for the two roster spots behind Ben Roethlisberger.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

IowaSteeler927
06-01-2018, 03:19 AM
I think Dobbs has a chance to beat out Jones for the backup job. Drafting Rudolph has definitely lit a fire under their asses. Jones and Dobbs now are on notice that one of them is going to be gone come the start of the 2018 regular season. Ben is obviously feeling more competitive since Haley was fired and he got what he wanted from that, now they bring in a young guy that looks to possibly be the future of the franchise and he's definitely got that Brett Favre "I'll show this young guy who's boss" kind of attitude going on. I think drafting Rudolph is going to be great for the competition between these guys.

I hope Dobbs beats out Jones, I think we may have seen Jones hit his ceiling already, the jury is definitely still out on Dobbs and if he's better than Jones, well that's better for us.

Fire Goodell
06-01-2018, 11:23 AM
I really like Ben, but I think questioning the FO's moves is out of line as a player.

Count Steeler
06-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Ben, learn to hold your tongue, don't become a quote machine.

DesertSteel
06-01-2018, 12:27 PM
I think that Dobbs will get "injured" during preseason and be carried on IR. Next year, MR moves to #2 and Dobbs to #3.

86WARD
06-01-2018, 01:20 PM
I don’t think there’s any way they hand the backup job to Dobbs over Jones. For whatever reason, they love him.

Mach1
06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
How many years did Rodgers sit behind Farve. Rudolph may be in the same situation. :noidea:

BlackAndGold
06-01-2018, 03:26 PM
How many years did Rodgers sit behind Farve. Rudolph may be in the same situation. :noidea:

Believe it was three years.

IowaSteeler927
06-02-2018, 12:29 AM

Perfectly fine by me if Rudolph sits. If we get 3 more years out of Ben that'll be great, and it will be all the better for Rudolph to have had the chance to sit back and learn from one of the best to have ever played the game. While Rodgers is an absolute monster, I do think it benefited him greatly riding the pine for a few seasons and seeing how Favre played the game. If you watch Rodgers closely you'll see a lot of Favre in him. He has that uncanny ability to look off receivers, and he has that same gunslinger mentality that Favre had. Rodgers is just more athletically gifted than Favre was. It's a shame the two have never really seemed to get along, but sometimes when there's that competitive rivalry there it makes both players perform better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2018, 12:48 AM
I think that Dobbs will get "injured" during preseason and be carried on IR. Next year, MR moves to #2 and Dobbs to #3.

This could be a real possibility. But I still haven't seen much of Dobbs as a pocket passer that inspires any idea that he is an NFL QB. Maybe he makes more strides this season, but the other 3 guys look more inclined to slide and shift in and even out of the pocket while keeping their eyes downfield. Dobbs last year in the preseason looked to escape the pocket at the first sign of it getting compressed.

Again, I thought the Senior bowl in 2017 was a weak QB class and Dobbs was possibly the 4th best QB in a group that wasn't that thrilling. Ben is just making headlines with the comments, but the truth is the Steelers would have been better off drating a TE talent in the 4th instead of Dobbs IMO.

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Again, I thought the Senior bowl in 2017 was a weak QB class and Dobbs was possibly the 4th best QB in a group that wasn't that thrilling. Ben is just making headlines with the comments, but the truth is the Steelers would have been better off drating a TE talent in the 4th instead of Dobbs IMO.

:iagree:

I was very surprised that George Kittle, Jake Butt and Jordan Leggett were all still available when it was the Steelers' turn to draft and was disappointed that we didn't pick one of them, especially Kittle.

IowaSteeler927
06-02-2018, 01:58 AM

I was very surprised that George Kittle, Jake Butt and Jordan Leggett were all still available when it was the Steelers' turn to draft and was disappointed that we didn't pick one of them, especially Kittle.

I would've definitely been on board with George Kittle. :rolleyes:

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2018, 02:06 AM
I would've definitely been on board with George Kittle. :rolleyes:

I saw Kittle catch two short TDs in the red zone against Nebraska and remember thinking how nice he would look in the Steelers black & gold...

http://images.tritondigitalcms.com/6616/sites/82/2017/04/29113219/kittle-george.jpg

Craic
06-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Naa, I think they cut Dobbs and try to bring him back on the practice squad. He has one accrued season but wasn't on the 46-man active roster but once. So, he can move to the PS provided someone else doesn't sign him. What's really interesting is that he can stay on the squad for two full years provided he's not called up for more than six games (six games equal an accrued season).

IowaSteeler927
06-02-2018, 06:36 AM
I saw Kittle catch two short TDs in the red zone against Nebraska and remember thinking how nice he would look in the Steelers black & gold...

I've been pining for the Steelers to take a Hawkeye for a long time. I would've absolutely loved to see Kittle drafted, or if we're talking this year, I think Josey Jewell had Steeler written all over him.

If the Steelers were to consider a Hawkeye from the current flock, I think Noah Fant could be a good fit as a versatile pass catching TE. Dude is a matchup nightmare for defenses.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Dobbs wasn't a bad pick and doubt the steelers would even had drafted a qb this year. Rudolph still being around in the 3rd was to hard to pass up on.

Texasteel
06-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I've been pining for the Steelers to take a Hawkeye for a long time. I would've absolutely loved to see Kittle drafted, or if we're talking this year, I think Josey Jewell had Steeler written all over him.

If the Steelers were to consider a Hawkeye from the current flock, I think Noah Fant could be a good fit as a versatile pass catching TE. Dude is a matchup nightmare for defenses.

You and me both, just ask anyone on this site. If Fant has the year I believe he will, I think there is a very good chance the Steelers will take a long look at him

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2018, 08:00 PM
I've been pining for the Steelers to take a Hawkeye for a long time.

Fant has a 41-inch vertical, the Steelers will have to hope he's still avaialbe with the 32nd pick in the first round. :thumbsup:

IowaSteeler927
06-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Fant has a 41-inch vertical, the Steelers will have to hope he's still avaialbe with the 32nd pick in the first round. :thumbsup:

I think whether or not we look at TE again early in the draft is going to depend a lot upon how Vance McDonald performs this season. He looked pretty good late last season, looked like he was starting to get into a rhythm with Ben. If the injury bug continues to be an issue for McDonald then I think we need to let him go, and look at TE in the draft. Fant would definitely be my #1 guy. But yeah, he'll have to make it to #32. :lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2018, 12:08 AM

When the pick was up, this is exactly what I was thinking. A decent TE was on the board that would improve the position....but they took the 4th best QB that attended the Senior Bowl instead. SMH