PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Big Ben on Rudolph pick: How does it help us win now?

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 4, 2018

One year after "seriously" contemplating retirement, Ben Roethlisberger is struggling with the Steelers' decision to draft Mason Rudolph as his heir apparent.

Roethlisberger has made it clear that Rudolph won't see the field anytime soon, stating early this week his intention to play for "three or five more years."

In a Friday morning interview with KDKA's Cook and Poni in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger expressed further displeasure, questioning the allocation of resources toward another potential quarterback of the future.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931628/article/big-ben-on-rudolph-pick-how-does-it-help-us-win-now

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Get over it Ben and sad to see you still can act like a child. Sorry Steelers need to plan ahead after you are gone and your fault with your bs talk about retiring the last two years.

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Very often, I wish Ben would just SHUT UP!

st33lersguy
05-04-2018, 05:39 PM
I understand feeling disappointed that the franchise drafted for the future when he is entering the final years of his career (largely neglecting the paper thin depth at LB while spending a 3rd round pick on a 3rd strong project OT), but don't complain to the media about it. Complaining to the media can't change anything and all it does is create MORE drama

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Why does Ben have to say stupid stuff to the media?
Ben Apologist: "Because the media asked him a question... what was he going to do?"

05-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Honestly how many times does a 3rd pick come in and immediately help a team to win ? The third round pick could have been for a punter or long snapper and Ben wouldn't have said crap.

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 05:58 PM
It's not his job to be the personnel guy. The Steelers were great before Ben and they'll be great after Ben.

05-04-2018, 05:58 PM
I hope Ben's ego bruise gets better by the time of training camp and don't throw passes in the dirt to Washington to get back at the Steelers for drafting Rudolph.

Craic
05-04-2018, 06:11 PM
It's not his job to be the personnel guy. The Steelers were great before Ben and they'll be great after Ben.

I'm not sure I'd say that. Steelers were 1-4 in AFCCGs and 0-1 in SBs between Bradshaw and Ben. Since then, the Steelers are 3-2 in AFCCGs and 2-1 in SBs.

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure I'd say that. Steelers were 1-4 in AFCCGs and 0-1 in SBs between Bradshaw and Ben. Since then, the Steelers are 3-2 in AFCCGs and 2-1 in SBs.
I'm not talking short-term history, but overall. Every teams goes through ups and downs. Plus, all of Ben's success is stacked in the beginning of his career, not the last 8 years.

GBMelBlount
05-04-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm not talking short-term history, but overall. Every teams goes through ups and downs. Plus, all of Ben's success is stacked in the beginning of his career, not the last 8 years.

Well, he had Cowher's team. :grin:

BlackAndGold
05-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Ben should question why they use draft picks at all after the 2nd round since it's unlikely 3rd round pick helps day one. Is he questioning why they drafted an offensive tackle also?

Ben feeling a little jealous it seems and he shouldn't be. #7 is the starting QB for this team, there is no doubt about it. Wish he understood that he's 36 and he won't play forever. All it takes is one hit to change the outlook for this team.

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Clearly the retirement rhetoric was simply a power move to oust Haley.

AtlantaDan
05-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Why does Ben have to say stupid stuff to the media?

Because Pittsburgh fans already have one certain HOF player with multiple championships who never feels the need to stir the media pot in Sidney Crosby and it helps us all appreciate that more in someone who is the face of the franchise?:noidea:

It is part of the package - Ben has been acting out since his rookie year and is not about to change now

BlackAndGold
05-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Because Pittsburgh fans already have one certain HOF player with multiple championships who never feels the need to stir the media pot in Sidney Crosby and it helps us all appreciate that more in someone who is the face of the franchise?:noidea:

It is part of the package - Ben has been acting out since his rookie year and is not about to change now

http://i.imgur.com/TzXM0go.png

05-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Also Sorry Ben, fans and the Steelers want the team to be good after you are gone. Sorry that's not cool with you!

tube517
05-04-2018, 07:24 PM
https://nflfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/ap9007260418.jpg

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/34/d3443b41-50da-506b-9d58-a1cede44ebac/5655974a13bfc.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1079

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/pg-photo/2012/11/20/0ap2000000098307_gallery_600.jpg

Why can't we all just get along? :chuckle:

Shoes
05-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Its quite telling when a rookie QB drafted in R3 has more class and maturity than a seasoned vet, thats married with kids.

cubanstogie
05-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Its quite telling when a rookie QB drafted in R3 has more class and maturity than a seasoned vet, thats married with kids.
Ben and the word class has never been uttered in same sentence from me. I think he’s a hall of Famer, and appreciate the way he plays but I’m actually ready and excited for the Mason Rudolph era. I wouldn’t mind another SB win though.

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2018, 11:49 PM
Ben Roethlisberger isn’t a fan of using a third-round pick on a quarterback

Posted by Mike Florio on May 4, 2018

In New York, veteran quarterback Josh McCown plans to do everything in his power to help rookie Sam Darnold learn the ropes. In Pittsburgh, veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger apparently plans to to everything in his power to not help Mason Rudolph.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/ben-roethlisberger-isnt-a-fan-of-using-a-third-round-pick-on-a-quarterback/

FrancoLambert
05-05-2018, 06:56 AM

:iagree:

stillers4me
05-05-2018, 06:58 AM
When is everybody going to learn that everything Ben says is going to be taken out of context and spun to make him look like even more of an asshole than even he can make himself?

Bluecoat96
05-05-2018, 07:04 AM
I agree, although after listening to the interview, Been did sound pretty petty at multiple points throughout the interview. However, the media will milk this for all it's worth in order to get ratings and clicks on their website. Those vultures love this kind of crap.
When is everybody going to learn that everything Ben says is going to be taken out of context and spun to make him look like even more of an asshole than even he can make himself?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

stillers4me
05-05-2018, 07:14 AM

pczach
05-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Ben wants to win now. He isn't worried about his job.

Every single competitor feels exactly the same way that Ben does......Most are just mature enough to not say too much about it publicly.

I hate when he says some of the things he does to the media.

In the end, Ben's words don't matter.

Montana treated Young like shit and wouldn't do anything to prepare him to help the team.

Favre treated Rodgers like shit, wouldn't help him, and whined about it publicly and within the walls of the facility.

I think Ben will help Rudolph become a better pro and help the team. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed.

What's worse....words or actions?

My point is.....What's worse, saying some honest things that pissed you off to the press and then going out and still being a good pro and teammate while helping the team....or not saying anything publicly while being a dick to the draft pick and not helping a teammate become a better player to stick it to everybody in the organization and screwing all your teammates?

I know the answer. Does anyone else?

If Ben becomes the second part of my question above, I'll be the first one to rip him. Until then, people need to understand what really matters.

Shoes
05-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Ben wants to win now. He isn't worried about his job.

Every single competitor feels exactly the same way that Ben does......Most are just mature enough to not say too much about it publicly.

I hate when he says some of the things he does to the media.

In the end, Ben's words don't matter.

Montana treated Young like shit and wouldn't do anything to prepare him to help the team.

Favre treated Rodgers like shit, wouldn't help him, and whined about it publicly and within the walls of the facility.

I think Ben will help Rudolph become a better pro and help the team. If he doesn't, I'll be very disappointed.

What's worse....words or actions?

My point is.....What's worse, saying some honest things that pissed you off to the press and then going out and still being a good pro and teammate while helping the team....or not saying anything publicly while being a dick to the draft pick and not helping a teammate become a better player to stick it to everybody in the organization and screwing all your teammates?

I know the answer. Does anyone else?

If Ben becomes the second part of my question above, I'll be the first one to rip him. Until then, people need to understand what really matters.

What matters is life and lessons learned aren't a game.

43Hitman
05-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Not sure if y'all have seen this, but I'm really liking how sharp this kid is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Hi8j0wm3w

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Now THAT.....is how a Ben apologist gets a post done!!

AtlantaDan
05-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Nothing out of context about Ben coming across as a jackass in a radio appearance on 93.7, his favored forum for stirring the pot

He got to pick the offensive coordinator - presumably figured catering to what best serves his interests in terms of personnel decisions should also happen - since that didn't happen he pouted

No surprise this story has gone national

Short-term gains aside, the Steelers can't put off planning for the future forever. The team and organization will go on without Roethlisberger whenever he does retire. Can you blame them for thinking that the end might be coming soon after the way he handled his offseason a year ago? Again, this is a quarterback who sounded like he was on the verge of retirement a year ago. ...

Remember when we thought the Steelers seemingly got rid of their internal drama (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/relationship-between-ben-roethlisberger-todd-haley-showing-signs-of-friction-again/) by parting ways with offensive coordinator Todd Haley? (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-rumors-steelers-todd-haley-out-mike-munchak-turns-down-cardinals-interview/) So much for that. The Steelers are making smart and sensible decisions that prioritize their long-term future over Roethlisberger's immediate future and as a result, Roethlisberger appears to be somewhat displeased. Throw in Le'Veon Bell's ongoing contract standoff with the Steelers (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-leveon-bell-you-wont-see-me-until-week-1-unless-i-get-a-new-contract/) and, well, the Steelers might just be on the verge of replacing the Patriots as the most tension-filled team in football (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-tensions-chargers-karma-49ers-expectations-and-more-fatal-flaws-for-nfl-teams/).

Finally, the Steelers have found a way to overtake the Patriots in something.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...win-right-now/ (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-questions-how-mason-rudolph-helps-steelers-win-right-now/)

fansince'76
05-05-2018, 09:18 AM
... the Steelers might just be on the verge of replacing the Patriots as the most tension-filled team in football.

:rolleyes:

Get back to me when Ben goes over Tomlin's and Colbert's heads to whine to Art II to orchestrate a trade that sends Rudolph/Dobbs packing and leaves the team with no viable backup at QB.

But I guess it's different when "Saint Thomas of the Five Rings" does it... :coffee:

Shoes
05-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Now THAT.....is how a Ben apologist gets a post done!!

:lol:

Mojouw
05-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Oh my goodness! I just figured it out. Teegre is Ozzie Newsome and Steeldude is Ben Roethlisberger!!

He posted the same comment here to road test it a few days ago.

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 09:40 AM
So how about answering the question then. How does picking Mason Rudolph help the team win now? Call Ben a drama queen or pot stirrer all you want, but what is the answer to the question? I am certainly not against taking Rudolph where he was selected. I think that was the best pick available for the value. But does selecting Rudolph help this team win now? I don't think it does. In fact, if Ben does play another 3 seasons, Rudolph may never see any actual playing time as a Steeler, ever. I get how this is made to sound by Ben, but his point in asking the question is legitimate.

Shoes
05-05-2018, 09:45 AM
So how about answering the question then. How does picking Mason Rudolph help the team win now? Call Ben a drama queen or pot stirrer all you want, but what is the answer to the question? I am certainly not against taking Rudolph where he was selected. I think that was the best pick available for the value. But does selecting Rudolph help this team win now? I don't think it does. In fact, if Ben does play another 3 seasons, Rudolph may never see any actual playing time as a Steeler, ever. I get how this is made to sound by Ben, but his point in asking the question is legitimate.

The answer to the question is Colbert clearly said the Rudolph pick was a pick for the future. End of story. My gut feeling is Ben is getting visions of Tommy Maddox and himself.

fansince'76
05-05-2018, 09:46 AM

It may help during the 1-3 games Ben misses more often than not during the season (which can mean the difference between home field and a wild card berth in the postseason, or even missing the playoffs entirely) and we actually have someone better than Landry Jones to roll out there...

slippy
05-05-2018, 09:49 AM
i like Ben's comments. He's a little pissed. Maybe "fired up Ben" can help us on the field sometime before midseason.

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 10:04 AM
It may help during the 1-3 games Ben misses more often than not during the season (which can mean the difference between home field and a wild card berth in the postseason, or even missing the playoffs entirely) and we actually have someone better than Landry Jones to roll out there...

IF....Rudolph beats out Jones/Dobbs. I get that. And IF...Ben misses games. That's still not an answer to NOW. That's an answer to what if/maybe.

cubanstogie
05-05-2018, 10:07 AM
I didn't see the interview, but by reading this crap and knowing Bens tone when he answers questions its embarrassing that a future hall of famer would be so insecure at a QB drafted. On paper its no different than last year, besides 3rd round VS 4th round. The difference is he actually sees Rudolph as threat to his job. How does it help us win now, damn he's selfish. How many of the say 7 guys drafted per team a year actually step in and start first year. I would guess its less than 2 average, probably 1.2 or something. As much as Eli has bugged me in past, the guy handled being demoted and ending his streak last year like a champ. Imaging if Steelers have a losing season next year and Tomlin decides to go with Rudolph or Dobbs. Ben will ask for trade.

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 10:08 AM
The answer to the question is Colbert clearly said the Rudolph pick was a pick for the future. End of story. My gut feeling is Ben is getting visions of Tommy Maddox and himself.

IF...Rudolph actually beats out Jones/Dobbs. That is not just given. I think he can beat out Dobbs this preseason just based on style of QB play but there's no guarantee. Plus, Dobbs is 3rd so that is not a win now situation. NO WAY does he beat out Jones at this point in his game. He just simply does not have the experience. That's my gut feeling, Rudolph will be 3rd QB at best in 2018. That is not a "win now" situation, so does not answer the question.

AtlantaDan
05-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Get back to me when Ben goes over Tomlin's and Colbert's heads to whine to Art II to orchestrate a trade that sends Rudolph/Dobbs packing and leaves the team with no viable backup at QB.

But I guess it's different when "Saint Thomas of the Five Rings" does it... :coffee:

Consider the possibility that Ben noted how Brady purged his potential successor while the Pats first 2 picks were an OT and RB (rather than the rumored play for Lamar Jackson).

Ben may figure he is regarded by his front office more like non-elite Joe Flacco than his greatest rival and behaved accordingly during his latest psychotherapy session on 93.7 :chuckle:

Shoes
05-05-2018, 10:26 AM
IF...Rudolph actually beats out Jones/Dobbs. That is not just given. I think he can beat out Dobbs this preseason just based on style of QB play but there's no guarantee. Plus, Dobbs is 3rd so that is not a win now situation. NO WAY does he beat out Jones at this point in his game. He just simply does not have the experience. That's my gut feeling, Rudolph will be 3rd QB at best in 2018. That is not a "win now" situation, so does not answer the question.

Ben got his "win now" pick in R2, like almost every other year. He also has the added pick of his favorite QB coach being his OC now. Have there been any other top QB's asking this question after the draft? IMO Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin feel Rudolph is the future and I feel absolutely sure he will be the #2 at game 1. Colbert said the Rudolph pick was a pick for the future and that future may come game one if Ben goes down. That's how it will help us win now.

Edman
05-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Ben was no hot shakes in 2017.

The Steelers can't afford to wait for nine games for him to get it together, or suffer that critical injury that puts him out for 2 games and hurts his production the rest of the season.

Landry Jones may be satisfied with being a clipboard holder, because that's all he aspired to be, but sooner or later, the Steelers need a QB for the future.

Butch
05-05-2018, 11:36 AM
How many of you accusing Ben have actually read the article? Ben is asking why we drafted Dobbs last year and then roll with Rudolph this year. I am not a draftnik but I do believe there were many who questioned the Dobbs pick as well. A much more glaring need these past 2 drafts have been replacing a retired HEATH or a malcontent RB who will most likely be sitting at the start of this season and who knows for how many games. These are things you address if you are concerned with winning NOW not finding Ben's replacement. Heck in this draft we got some question marks for guys we picked up to fill the ILB need, I hope those picks pan out but they are not proven commodities so we may very well suck at those positions this year.

some here would not be happy with Ben if he leads us to our next SB win.

FWIW I hope we have found the next Great QB in Rudolph, but at the same time I get what Ben is saying as well. We all know what Ben is capable of we have no idea about the others being able to lead us to a SB let alone win one.

Neversatisfied
05-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Isn't this the truth, couldn't have said it better myself

Butch
05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Ben got his "win now" pick in R2, like almost every other year. He also has the added pick of his favorite QB coach being his OC now. Have there been any other top QB's asking this question after the draft? IMO Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin feel Rudolph is the future and I feel absolutely sure he will be the #2 at game 1. Colbert said the Rudolph pick was a pick for the future and that future may come game one if Ben goes down. That's how it will help us win now.

So the Steelers (not Ben), make Ben's QB coach his new OC and that is bad why, and by what logic does that translate into a pick? The NFL is filled with top QB's questioning their eventual replacements look at Tube's post earlier. For that matter, Ben is not complaining about drafting his eventual replacement he is commenting on why did we drafted Dobbs last year and now Rudolph this year when we still haven't found a replacement for other glaring needs such as replacements for Bell and Heath to name a few.

Dwinsgames
05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
How many of you accusing Ben have actually read the article? Ben is asking why we drafted Dobbs last year and then roll with Rudolph this year. I am not a draftnik but I do believe there were many who questioned the Dobbs pick as well. A much more glaring need these past 2 drafts have been replacing a retired HEATH or a malcontent RB who will most likely be sitting at the start of this season and who knows for how many games. These are things you address if you are concerned with winning NOW not finding Ben's replacement. Heck in this draft we got some question marks for guys we picked up to fill the ILB need, I hope those picks pan out but they are not proven commodities so we may very well suck at those positions this year.

FWIW I hope we have found the next Great QB in Rudolph, but at the same time I get what Ben is saying as well. We all know what Ben is capable of we have no idea about the others being able to lead us to a SB let alone win one.

to play in a SB you first have to get there Ben has managed that a few times , but never played particularly well in them ..

pczach
05-05-2018, 11:54 AM

It always is different when Tommy does something.

He's doing it because all he cares about is winning....:jerkit:

Butch
05-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Consider the possibility that Ben noted how Brady purged his potential successor while the Pats first 2 picks were an OT and RB (rather than the rumored play for Lamar Jackson).

Ben may figure he is regarded by his front office more like non-elite Joe Flacco than his greatest rival and behaved accordingly during his latest psychotherapy session on 93.7 :chuckle:

Did you read the article? Because I didn't get that from the article at all. Ben is questioning why we drafted Dobbs last year and Rudolph this year. I think we are spoiled with Ben being able to do more with less and I think he is much more concerned with us finding weapons not only for him but also for his eventual replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

to play in a SB you first have to get there Ben has managed that a few times , but never played particularly well in them ..

His 1st SB was horrible, but we don't get to that one without Ben not only beating the colts who demolished us earlier in the season, but also leading us to a convincing win in Denver...a place where we don't do well historically. Keep in mind that was only his 2nd year.

Ben had a pretty good game in 43 and we don't win it if he isn't our QB in the final drive.

The last one I was surprised we even made it and that loss was much more on Mendy than Ben.

pczach
05-05-2018, 12:24 PM

That may change if he ever makes it to another super bowl and he has a real offensive line in front of him now that he is a fully accomplished passer and a student of the game.

I've always been amazed at how people seem to downplay Ben taking a team to three Super Bowls. As if anyone can do it as often as Ben has with limited offensive help.

Tom Brady threw for 129 yards in a super bowl and they made him MVP. Just sayin'. Eli Manning makes an unbelievable play where he luckily gets away from a pass rush, spins around, and just flings the ball into a crowd where a TE catches it miraculously on his helmet. Eli gets an MVP on a play that Ben has made much better and to the point where it looks routine because he has done it so often when younger. I believe that many of the people here truly will never understand how great Ben has been and the amazing feats he has had to perform because of lack of talent around him and in particular...no offensive line. Embarrassingly bad offensive lines.

What he did against the Cardinals in 2008 was amazing when you look at the OL play. Everyone that likes to bang on Ben points to James Harrison and that amazing defense, yet it was that #1 defense that gave up the lead and Ben had to win it.....and he did.....behind that God-awful offensive line. Just on the last drive, Ben made a couple plays that almost no other quarterbacks could have made.

Bluecoat96
05-05-2018, 01:01 PM

9 out of 10 times I would agree with, and you do make valid points. However, after listening to the interview, Ben did sound pretty douchey and petty at times. I could be dead wrong in how I interpreted it, but that's my take.

I agree with whoever it was that said draft a QB every year until you get it right and have found a worthy successor to Ben. Just from observing and reading up on Mason, this "feels" different than when drafting Jones and Dobbs. Time will tell us the real story. I'm also really interested in seeing how they're going to use the new abundance of safeties in the defensive scheme.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
05-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Did you read the article? Because I didn't get that from the article at all. Ben is questioning why we drafted Dobbs last year and Rudolph this year. I think we are spoiled with Ben being able to do more with less and I think he is much more concerned with us finding weapons not only for him but also for his eventual replacement.

Yeah I read it - typical passive aggressive Ben during another stream of consciousness appearance on 93.7 where he talks about matters he should just raise privately

This quote was the one that I noted

“I told them when the season was over I felt really good and was planning on coming back for three to five years, exactly what I just told you guys. So, I was surprised when they took a quarterback because I thought that maybe in the third-round, you know, you can get some really good football players that can help this team now."

In other words, unlike last year you should believe me when I say I am planning to stick around for 3 to 5 years so I am not pleased you drafted a QB

Bonus points for Ben snarkily asking if the Steelers screwed up the Dobbs pick

And Josh, same thing, last year he was taken in the fourth round. So does that mean the like Steelers screwed up in that pick? Like, do they think he wasn’t the one that they thought? Or has he not developed the way they thought? Why else would you take a quarterback in the third round the next year?”... “So did they screw up the pick?” Roethlisberger said.

As I posted in the draft thread, the Steelers will still be in the league after Ben retires and it is not just what is best for his remaining time with the team - it is not his franchise

When Ben makes comments like this about Rudolph it reminds me of the preschooler in this ad that is being run to death during the Stanley Cup playoffs where she thinks the family SUV (aka the franchise) belongs to her and she is less than thrilled when asked at the end if she is excited about an upcoming addition to the family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPtA9Mq74k

Shoes
05-05-2018, 02:37 PM
So the Steelers (not Ben), make Ben's QB coach his new OC and that is bad why, and by what logic does that translate into a pick? The NFL is filled with top QB's questioning their eventual replacements look at Tube's post earlier. For that matter, Ben is not complaining about drafting his eventual replacement he is commenting on why did we drafted Dobbs last year and now Rudolph this year when we still haven't found a replacement for other glaring needs such as replacements for Bell and Heath to name a few.

You can't tell me Ben didn't have some input in Fitch getting the OC job, didn't say it was bad, but its what Ben wanted. So why is Ben saying this publicly? In a way Ben is a manager and leader of the team (or should be). Why didn't he ask for a private meeting with Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin to discuss it if he was so concerned about draft picks? What is gained by Ben running his mouth publicly and how does this benefit the team?

Butch
05-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Yeah I read it - typical passive aggressive Ben during another stream of consciousness appearance on 93.7 where he talks about matters he should just raise privately

This quote was the one that I noted

“I told them when the season was over I felt really good and was planning on coming back for three to five years, exactly what I just told you guys. So, I was surprised when they took a quarterback because I thought that maybe in the third-round, you know, you can get some really good football players that can help this team now."

In other words, unlike last year you should believe me when I say I am planning to stick around for 3 to 5 years so I am not pleased you drafted a QB

Bonus points for Ben snarkily asking if the Steelers screwed up the Dobbs pick

And Josh, same thing, last year he was taken in the fourth round. So does that mean the like Steelers screwed up in that pick? Like, do they think he wasn’t the one that they thought? Or has he not developed the way they thought? Why else would you take a quarterback in the third round the next year?”... “So did they screw up the pick?” Roethlisberger said.

As I posted in the draft thread, the Steelers will still be in the league after Ben retires and it is not just what is best for his remaining time with the team - it is not his franchise

When Ben makes comments like this about Rudolph it reminds me of the preschooler in this ad that is being run to death during the Stanley Cup playoffs where she thinks the family SUV (aka the franchise) belongs to her and she is less than thrilled when asked at the end if she is excited about an upcoming addition to the family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPtA9Mq74k

Can Ben say or do anything that you would not consider passive aggressive?

Here is another quote from the same article where Ben says how does drafting Mason helps us win now.

When Roethlisberger informed the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) in January of his intention to play three more years, he suspected the organization was content to go forward with Landry Jones (http://www.nfl.com/player/landryjones/2539287/profile) as the backup and last year's fourth-round pick, Joshua Dobbs (http://www.nfl.com/player/joshuadobbs/2558167/profile), in the developmental role.
"So, I was surprised when they took a quarterback," Roethlisberger said Friday, "because I thought that maybe in the third round, you can get some really good football players that can help this team now. And nothing against Mason, I think he's a great football player ... I just don't know how backing up or being the third guy, who knows where he's going to fall on the depth chart, but helps us win now."

He further states nothing against Mason and that he's a Great football player.

Now let me ask you do you think the Steelers messed up last year when they drafted Dobbs? Is backup QB helping you replace Bell or Miller two positions of need NOW. Ben's replacement may or may not become a position of need but as the franchise QB Ben is more concerned with right now. I don't fault him for that.

FWIW I don't have a problem with picking up Mason, but I also don't blame Ben for saying the things he did. God forbid you have a competitive QB who has taken you to a SB and won wanting to get to another one asap. Maybe we win one or two more and Ben rides off into the sunset and you can be happy he is no loner on the team. Even if we don't have the same success with the next guy.

I am hoping we catch lightening in a bottle with whomever replaces Ben but I aint holdin' my breath. I am enjoying the ride for now.

DesertSteel
05-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Ben apologists are always making excuses for his lack of class.

86WARD
05-05-2018, 04:12 PM
Probably be better if he says “No Comment” ... NOT!!! Lol.

It’s a non-story that the media is spinning, like they always do and Steelers fans getting all butt hurt. Can’t wait to see them treat Roethlisberger like they have Bell and Harrison...

86WARD
05-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Honestly how many times does a 3rd pick come in and immediately help a team to win ? The third round pick could have been for a punter or long snapper and Ben wouldn't have said crap.

Because they wouldn’t have asked him about how he feels about a punter or long snapper...

86WARD
05-05-2018, 04:22 PM
https://nflfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/ap9007260418.jpg

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/34/d3443b41-50da-506b-9d58-a1cede44ebac/5655974a13bfc.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C1079

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/pg-photo/2012/11/20/0ap2000000098307_gallery_600.jpg

Why can't we all just get along? :chuckle:

Lol...love it.

Favre said publicly it wasn’t his job to teach Rodgers. Montana and Young still don’t like each other to this day and Doug Flutie just loves everyone...or not.

And here everyone thought Ben was the first QB to make comments like he did...shocking that he wasn’t.

Butch
05-05-2018, 04:27 PM
You can't tell me Ben didn't have some input in Fitch getting the OC job, didn't say it was bad, but its what Ben wanted. So why is Ben saying this publicly? In a way Ben is a manager and leader of the team (or should be). Why didn't he ask for a private meeting with Rooney, Colbert and Tomlin to discuss it if he was so concerned about draft picks? What is gained by Ben running his mouth publicly and how does this benefit the team?

the front office made the decision not Ben. I am sure Ben and OTHERS have made their feelings heard on this but in the end it was a decision the front office made.

I don't know if Ben was asked a question or simply stating his feelings but it really doesn't matter to me either way. Ben knows his time is short and wants to convince the front office that he wants to weapons to succeed now. Damn Ben for wanting to go out on top!!!

We know what Ben has done for us, but we don't know what any of the QBs on our current roster can do. There is a possibility that we got the Steal of the draft with Mason or that some how Jones puts it all together this year and that Dobbs taps into some unforseen greatness, but the odds are greatly against that.

How many SBs did Favre go to and how many has Rodgers gone to? Still time for Rodgers but to date it's only 1. How many did Joe go to and how many did ass hat stevie young go to? How long did it take us to make a SB after Terry left? Who replaced Marino, Elway or even Takenton? Cowboys haven't been back since Aikman left. So now tell me again why it's so bad that Ben wants to win NOW.

- - - Updated - - -

Deep thoughts by John Handy.

Craic
05-05-2018, 06:15 PM
I'll wait until OTAs and training camp to see how Ben handles it one-on-one with Mason. Honestly, I don't trust the press as far as I can throw them.

FrancoLambert
05-05-2018, 07:16 PM

We're a lucky franchise, we've had two great quarterbacks and we can argue back and forth about who's the better QB or the bigger douchebag.

Shoes
05-05-2018, 07:37 PM
the front office made the decision not Ben. I am sure Ben and OTHERS have made their feelings heard on this but in the end it was a decision the front office made.

I don't know if Ben was asked a question or simply stating his feelings but it really doesn't matter to me either way. Ben knows his time is short and wants to convince the front office that he wants to weapons to succeed now. Damn Ben for wanting to go out on top!!!

We know what Ben has done for us, but we don't know what any of the QBs on our current roster can do. There is a possibility that we got the Steal of the draft with Mason or that some how Jones puts it all together this year and that Dobbs taps into some unforseen greatness, but the odds are greatly against that.

How many SBs did Favre go to and how many has Rodgers gone to? Still time for Rodgers but to date it's only 1. How many did Joe go to and how many did ass hat stevie young go to? How long did it take us to make a SB after Terry left? Who replaced Marino, Elway or even Takenton? Cowboys haven't been back since Aikman left. So now tell me again why it's so bad that Ben wants to win NOW.

Amazing the R3 pick in the 2018 draft was the key pick to winning the SB in 2018! Ben can't win without that pick! So what Ben is saying is Art, Colbert & Tomlin don't want to win now. Ben has done nothing but caused hard feelings amongst the QB's. Maybe Art should go on 93.7 and talk about the QB that caused the team the most embarrassment in Steeler history, I mean if its all about stating ones feelings publicly.

j-d-s
05-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Well, given how many times Ben has been hurt Rudolph might help us sooner than expected. Although Ben usually only sits two games or so, those can be the difference between Home-Field advantage and travelling to places like Foxboro.

Butch
05-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Amazing the R3 pick in the 2018 draft was the key pick to winning the SB in 2018! Ben can't win without that pick! So what Ben is saying is Art, Colbert & Tomlin don't want to win now. Ben has done nothing but caused hard feelings amongst the QB's. Maybe Art should go on 93.7 and talk about the QB that caused the team the most embarrassment in Steeler history, I mean if its all about stating ones feelings publicly.
LOL whose feelings yours or Arts?

Shoes
05-05-2018, 08:32 PM
LOL whose feelings yours or Arts?

I said among the QB's. My feeling are just fine, I love the R3 pick.

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 08:43 PM
This one has gone a bit out of bounds. The thread title is about Ben's question of "HOW DOES THIS HELP US WIN NOW". Nothing to do with future seasons when Ben retires, is Rudolph a good QB, is Dobbs a good QB, why is Fichtner the new OC, Ben's class level, or if he's being a drama queen. The question remains valid even after all the 'sidebar' arguments. Looking at the upcoming season(NOW), Mason Rudolph is NOT expected to step in and contribute any. Not at all. Not this season. How does taking that player at that draft spot help this team win NOW? IT DOESN'T. Ben can say whatever he wants to on whichever radio station will give him a mic, Rudolph is not going to help us win NOW. That is the question Ben asks. THIS PICK, NOW. Answer to question is, IT DOESN'T HELP THIS TEAM WIN NOW.

Butch
05-05-2018, 09:04 PM

I reiterate whose feelings yours or Arts???

Shoes
05-05-2018, 09:05 PM
This one has gone a bit out of bounds. The thread title is about Ben's question of "HOW DOES THIS HELP US WIN NOW". Nothing to do with future seasons when Ben retires, is Rudolph a good QB, is Dobbs a good QB, why is Fichtner the new OC, Ben's class level, or if he's being a drama queen. The question remains valid even after all the 'sidebar' arguments. Looking at the upcoming season(NOW), Mason Rudolph is NOT expected to step in and contribute any. Not at all. Not this season. How does taking that player at that draft spot help this team win NOW? IT DOESN'T. Ben can say whatever he wants to on whichever radio station will give him a mic, Rudolph is not going to help us win NOW. That is the question Ben asks. THIS PICK, NOW. Answer to question is, IT DOESN'T HELP THIS TEAM WIN NOW.

:lol:

cubanstogie
05-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Thats why I say Ben is a meathead, I love him as QB but he is a complete dipshit. The draft is like the stockmarket. Its a crapshoot for one, you do your best at scouting, reading whatever and make and educated decision. Its also about dividends, not just immediate need. How could he not know this crap. Its obvious most wanted ILB's, but the good ones were gone, they didn't want to reach. So for Ben to say that is ignorant. I get the competitive spirit he has but you don't say that crap to the media. Why second guess the people who pay him. So to the original post, it might not help immediately but for it to be great pick it doesn't have to.

- - - Updated - - -

does Ben feel the need to take Martavis' role since he's gone

Shoes
05-05-2018, 09:22 PM
I reiterate whose feelings yours or Arts???

You said in post 61 "I don't know if Ben was asked a question or simply stating his feelings" Im saying Ben's brain and mouth have a disconnect. If he can publicly make Art, Colbert & Tomlin look like fools, then it would be no different than Art going public on 93.7 and talk about the QB that caused the team the most embarrassment in Steeler history. It doesn't have to do with anyones feeling, it has to do with what is right. And on that note, Im done with this.

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Look again at the 3rd round. The "need" is still LB. That's obvious to everyone. Malik Jefferson had a meeting at the Combine, at the Pro Day, Brought in for a private workout. (Went back and double checked my math on that. Different sites say different things. Point is the Steelers showed enough interest in Jefferson.) I was thinking Jefferson was the pick. I was a bit shocked they went Rudolph there at first. The pick makes sense from the standpoint that he was the highest rated QB on the board at that time(by the Steelers) AND, QB is the highest rated position in the draft. I get all of that. It was not a need pick, nor an immediate help pick. It was a BPA pick only. I can only hope that Rudolph becomes the 'next Ben' for the Steelers.

My fear/thought is that Rudolph will never see the field as a Steeler. Let's assume Ben plays 3 more seasons. Rudolph is not jumping Ben on the depth chart. Best case(everyone stays healthy) Rudolph earns the 3rd QB spot for this season. If Jones is finally let walk after this season, Rudolph can only hope to be the #2 guy.(Not ruling out Dobbs just yet) So if Ben retire after 3 more seasons, Rudolph will still need to beat out someone to be the starter in his 4th year. Assuming Jones is gone and Rudolph beats out Dobbs, at least one other QB will have been drafted and/or signed via FA by the time Ben retires. Steelers always carry at least 3.

So if Jones is gone, Rudolph beats out Dobbs for the #2 role, and Ben retires after 3 years(same as Dobbs contract), that would leave ONLY Rudolph. See the math? No way that happens. When Jones leaves, another QB will be drafted. If/when Dobbs loses his spot another QB will be drafted. When Ben does retire another QB will be drafted. If not all, 2 of these 3 statements are true. Rudolph is a long shot at best. When Dobbs was drafted, he inherited the #3 spot by default.(Mettenberger dropped off the planet) Very different situation now. Could end up with only Ben and Jones getting game day helmets this season.

Mason Rudolph was the best pick at where he was selected. That fact does not make him a good pick. The math says not yet.

AtlantaDan
05-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Can Ben say or do anything that you would not consider passive aggressive?

On the field all the time - he is the best QB in Steelers history

But during those 93.7 radio appearances he is always taking veiled shots

FWIW what is up with a special Friday morning in May appearance on 93.7?

My recollection is his deal is Tuesday mornings during the season - almost as if he made a special guest appearance to stir the pot :coffee:

This will be forgotten by September but it is pointless pouting by someone I would think would let it slide

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2018, 11:06 PM
On the field all the time - he is the best QB in Steelers history

But during those 93.7 radio appearances he is always taking veiled shots

FWIW what is up with a special Friday morning in May appearance on 93.7?

My recollection is his deal is Tuesday mornings during the season - almost as if he made a special guest appearance to stir the pot :coffee:

This will be forgotten by September but it is pointless pouting by someone I would think would let it slide

Ben wonders which of his backups will get fired

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2018

From time to time, Ben Roethlisberger makes news when doing interviews on Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan. And it’s the kind of news that often makes us wonder why he continues to do it.

They pay him for the segments, that’s obvious. But they’re can’t be paying a $20-million-per-year guy enough to justify the problems that often arise from the answers he provides in a setting where he is far more relaxed, casual, and loquacious than when he’s at a press conference or standing with a bunch of microphones in his face in the locker room.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/05/ben-wonders-which-of-his-backups-will-get-fired/

DesertSteel
05-05-2018, 11:13 PM
We're a lucky franchise, we've had two great quarterbacks and we can argue back and forth about who's the better QB or the bigger douchebag.
Close on both counts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2018, 01:55 AM
Close on both counts.

Personally, I think Ben is the better passer, as he had a defense and run game that was not as great as the Steelers of the Bradshaw era.

I also think of Ben as the bigger DB. Just think of what of the 2 QB is welcome to golf with Arnold Palmer, what of the 2 was accused of rape in Georgia and Nevada and which one just had a problem with his head coach. Then count Super Bowls. Finally, count what QB threw his backups under the bus most often and created drama about his retirement or not retirement. I think Ben wins both best QB and biggest DB.

86WARD
05-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Biggest villains in Steelers history: Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Mike Wallace, James Harrison, Ben Roethlisberger...lol.

They should just trade Ben and his “mouth” for an ILB or a QB that is a mute.

pczach
05-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Personally, I think Ben is the better passer, as he had a defense and run game that was not as great as the Steelers of the Bradshaw era.

I also think of Ben as the bigger DB. Just think of what of the 2 QB is welcome to golf with Arnold Palmer, what of the 2 was accused of rape in Georgia and Nevada and which one just had a problem with his head coach. Then count Super Bowls. Finally, count what QB threw his backups under the bus most often and created drama about his retirement or not retirement. I think Ben wins both best QB and biggest DB.

Which one didn't pay his proper respects when his former head coach passed away?

Which one wouldn't come to the stadium when invited and openly voiced his bitterness towards the organization?

Which one openly hates his ex-coach?

Which one hates the fans of Pittsburgh and feels bitter about being booed?

Which one wanted the other to kiss his rings even though he hasn't done shit to help current players in Pittsburgh and treats everything Steelers with disdain?

Which one called out the other on national TV because he was butt hurt about someone not bowing before him?

Which one said that Mike Tomlin is "....a great cheerleader. Not a great coach."

I hear what you're saying, and Ben has been a huge DB and crybaby over many things. The difference is that Bradshaw played with greatness around him. He had talented players everywhere. He was given every chance to succeed while he truly sucked, and the team had to overcome his shitty play. How did he thank everyone that helped make him everything in life? By turning his back on the team and the fans, while blaming everyone else for his own issues.

People really need to do a search on Terry Bradshaw and read the ridiculous crap he used to say to the media in the time before social media, and in the time when the press protected many players by not reporting things. I can only imagine what would have come out if he played today.

Ben walked onto the field as a kid and immediately transformed the team to a different level. Ben was always lobbying for the team to get him help, but they continued to draft defense for years while he got the shit kicked out of him behind absolute shit for offensive lines, had him throwing to a 30-something year old receiver as his main weapon that he may have made a HOF player, and a revolving door of receivers to deal with. I believe 70% - 30% was the split in salary cap between the defense and the offense for years.

Ben has earned his crappy reputation for mistakes he made off the field when he was younger. He was an arrogant prick and an idiot that engaged in activity with women that just shouldn't have happened. He should have been better than that. Nobody is arguing that.

Right or wrong, Ben thinks that they should do everything to win now and not waste picks on quarterbacks. I'll say it again. Every single competitor that I know would feel exactly the same way. The difference is that most are smart enough not to say much about it publicly. He's a crybaby and a drama queen sometimes, but he has grown up and helped his teammates and he has played his ass off for this team.

It's the damnedest thing observing the comparisons between Terry and Big Ben. The two men feel it. The fans feel it. Even the organization seems to be affected by it in some strange way, and they sometimes seem unsure of what to do. You would think that having two great quarterbacks that played for the same team would inspire support for each other, and their would be a mutual appreciation and respect between the two. IMO, Terry made that impossible with the way he distanced himself from the team and the fans, but demanded the admiration of a current player...then crushed him on national TV while standing on his mountaintop that he created for himself while not even remotely getting what a hypocritical moron he is for the way he treats people and how unappreciative he is toward everybody that helped him in his life. Both men seem to feel slighted by the other and are fighting ghosts that they can't defend themselves from.

I believe Ben will ultimately do what's best for the team, and will respect the organization and the fans now and when he's finished playing. We'll see.

FrancoLambert
05-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Which one didn't pay his proper respects when his former head coach passed away?

Which one wouldn't come to the stadium when invited and openly voiced his bitterness towards the organization?

Which one openly hates his ex-coach?

Which one hates the fans of Pittsburgh and feels bitter about being booed?

Which one wanted the other to kiss his rings even though he hasn't done shit to help current players in Pittsburgh and treats everything Steelers with disdain?

Which one called out the other on national TV because he was butt hurt about someone not bowing before him?

Which one said that Mike Tomlin is "....a great cheerleader. Not a great coach."

I hear what you're saying, and Ben has been a huge DB and crybaby over many things. The difference is that Bradshaw played with greatness around him. He had talented players everywhere. He was given every chance to succeed while he truly sucked, and the team had to overcome his shitty play. How did he thank everyone that helped make him everything in life? By turning his back on the team and the fans, while blaming everyone else for his own issues.

People really need to do a search on Terry Bradshaw and read the ridiculous crap he used to say to the media in the time before social media, and in the time when the press protected many players by not reporting things. I can only imagine what would have come out if he played today.

Ben walked onto the field as a kid and immediately transformed the team to a different level. Ben was always lobbying for the team to get him help, but they continued to draft defense for years while he got the shit kicked out of him behind absolute shit for offensive lines, had him throwing to a 30-something year old receiver as his main weapon that he may have made a HOF player, and a revolving door of receivers to deal with. I believe 70% - 30% was the split in salary cap between the defense and the offense for years.

Ben has earned his crappy reputation for mistakes he made off the field when he was younger. He was an arrogant prick and an idiot that engaged in activity with women that just shouldn't have happened. He should have been better than that. Nobody is arguing that.

Right or wrong, Ben thinks that they should do everything to win now and not waste picks on quarterbacks. I'll say it again. Every single competitor that I know would feel exactly the same way. The difference is that most are smart enough not to say much about it publicly. He's a crybaby and a drama queen sometimes, but he has grown up and helped his teammates and he has played his ass off for this team.

It's the damnedest thing observing the comparisons between Terry and Big Ben. The two men feel it. The fans feel it. Even the organization seems to be affected by it in some strange way, and they sometimes seem unsure of what to do. You would think that having two great quarterbacks that played for the same team would inspire support for each other, and their would be a mutual appreciation and respect between the two. IMO, Terry made that impossible with the way he distanced himself from the team and the fans, but demanded the admiration of a current player...then crushed him on national TV while standing on his mountaintop that he created for himself while not even remotely getting what a hypocritical moron he is for the way he treats people and how unappreciative he is toward everybody that helped him in his life. Both men seem to feel slighted by the other and are fighting ghosts that they can't defend themselves from.

I believe Ben will ultimately do what's best for the team, and will respect the organization and the fans now and when he's finished playing. We'll see.

PC,

You list Terry's faults and mistakes in great detail (and accurately) but Ben's.....well, you seem to dismiss them a little too easily.

The sound bite from 2 seasons ago where Ben is telling his O-line, and I'm paraphrasing from hazy memory "if this is it guys...it's been great," sounded like a QB seriously contemplating retirement. Colbert heard it, and as a good GM, reacted to it.

Now, Ben reacts with a bruised ego because a highly rated QB drops to them and is a real value pick (on paper).
He conveniently dismisses the fact that a good GM not only wants to win now, but wants to win going forward.
"I can play 3-5 years." "Wasted picks" used on QB's...Rudolph this year, Dobbs last year.

He publicly threw Tomlin and Colbert under the bus with those remarks. Didn't show them too much respect, did he.

Team player......:scratchchin:

pczach
05-06-2018, 12:04 PM
PC,

You list Terry's faults and mistakes in great detail (and accurately) but Ben's.....well, you seem to dismiss them a little too easily.

The sound bite from 2 seasons ago where Ben is telling his O-line, and I'm paraphrasing from hazy memory "if this is it guys...it's been great," sounded like a QB seriously contemplating retirement. Colbert heard it, and as a good GM, reacted to it.

Now, Ben reacts with a bruised ego because a highly rated QB drops to them and is a real value pick (on paper).
He conveniently dismisses the fact that a good GM not only wants to win now, but wants to win going forward.
"I can play 3-5 years." "Wasted picks" used on QB's...Rudolph this year, Dobbs last year.

He publicly threw Tomlin and Colbert under the bus with those remarks. Didn't show them too much respect, did he.

Team player......:scratchchin:

For the record....I hate when Ben discusses things to the media. I freaking hate it. I agree with you on that.

But, was what Ben said correct?

I viewed the Landry and Dobbs picks as being unnecessary at the time because they weren't that good, they had a HOF quarterback, and boatload of needs on the roster. They had other roster needs to fill. That sounds a lot like a wasted pick to me. If the GM was seriously trying to replace Ben, they would have drafted a QB much, much higher. Just being honest.

If the organization is going to release a quarterback they drafted last year, what would you call the pick?

By the way, when did considering retirement become being a bad teammate? When did questioning whether he should come back after the receiving corp they put around him dropped three touchdown passes and a 2-point conversion in the playoff game against the Patriots become a character flaw or being a bad teammate?

Bradshaw lied and said his head coach was basically undermining him. That he was holding him back. That he was messing with his head. The organization didn't stand behind him. You know, the team that took him #1 and then saw him struggle mightily on the field with as much talent as anyone has ever played with and stuck with him until he started to get it.

Those are outright lies about Chuck Noll and the Steelers organization and you know it. That's throwing someone under the bus while they were doing everything they could to help him succeed and then he lied about their intentions.

When Ben's coming back to the stadium to participate as an ex-Steeler after retiring instead of telling you to kiss his ass like Bradshaw does, will that make a difference to you?

I loved Bradshaw and rooted for him every second he was on the field and wearing a Steelers uniform. He betrayed us....not the other way around.

Ben gets in more trouble speaking the truth than other players do lying out of their asses.

bayz101
05-06-2018, 05:15 PM
I guess Ben doesn't realize the importance of having someone behind you on the depth chart. Learning from you, watching you.

It isn't always like it was with him where you come in your rookie year and take over...Montana, Young? Favre and Rogers? We seen talent we couldn't pass up and took it, it was the right decision.

Have to keep in mind that Ben was signaling retirement thoughts just over a year and a half ago. I'm sure it's no coincidence that he's rejuvenated and more optimistic after a healthy season -- everyone in Pittsburgh knows that. If Green Bay let Favre run the Front Office in Wisconsin they may have missed out on Rogers. Steelers know what they are doing. Not taking anything away from Ben here or even calling him out, but sometimes his unfiltered radio show comments seem to lack thought. I've seen him preach about drama in locker room, I think he needs to study that religion a little more! :chuckle:

Mojouw
05-06-2018, 05:20 PM
For the record....I hate when Ben discusses things to the media. I freaking hate it. I agree with you on that.
But....Was what Ben said correct?

But, was what Ben said correct?

I viewed the Landry and Dobbs picks as being unnecessary at the time because they weren't that good, they had a HOF quarterback, and boatload of needs on the roster. They had other roster needs to fill. That sounds a lot like a wasted pick to me. If the GM was seriously trying to replace Ben, they would have drafted a QB much, much higher. Just being honest.

If the organization is going to release a quarterback they drafted last year, what would you call the pick?

By the way, when did considering retirement become being a bad teammate? When did questioning whether he should come back after the receiving corp they put around him dropped three touchdown passes and a 2-point conversion in the playoff game against the Patriots become a character flaw or being a bad teammate?

Bradshaw lied and said his head coach was basically undermining him. That he was holding him back. That he was messing with his head. The organization didn't stand behind him. You know, the team that took him #1 and then saw him struggle mightily on the field with as much talent as anyone has ever played with and stuck with him until he started to get it.

Those are outright lies about Chuck Noll and the Steelers organization and you know it. That's throwing someone under the bus while they were doing everything they could to help him succeed and then he lied about their intentions.

When Ben's coming back to the stadium to participate as an ex-Steeler after retiring instead of telling you to kiss his ass like Bradshaw does, will that make a difference to you?

I loved Bradshaw and rooted for him every second he was on the field and wearing a Steelers uniform. He betrayed us....not the other way around.

Ben gets in more trouble speaking the truth than other players do lying out of their asses.

The common thread between the two is that they are both kinda dumb and really shouldn't speak extensively about anything on the record because they will always eventually say something blindingly stupid.

pczach
05-06-2018, 06:13 PM
The common thread between the two is that they are both kinda dumb and really shouldn't speak extensively about anything on the record because they will always eventually say something blindingly stupid.

It's hard to argue with that.

I hope everyone understands that I think the Rudolph pick is fine. I hated him in the 1st round, love him in the 3rd round. It was definitely time to take a quarterback if they thought he had a chance to be great, and clearly they do.

DesertSteel
05-06-2018, 06:52 PM

Agree. But as I stated, close :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll reserve judgment until Cowher passes.