PDA

View Full Version : So, What Will The Steelers Do At Inside Linebacker?

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2018, 03:07 PM
So, What Will The Steelers Do At Inside Linebacker?

SteelCityInsider draft analyst Jon Ledyard breaks down the tape of fifth-rounder Marcus Allen and undrafted free agent Matthew Thomas in search of an answer for the Steelers.

by Jon Ledyard

Sometimes, evaluating a prospect isn’t the difficult part of being a draft analyst. Valuing it is.

I think I speak for most, if not all, NFL teams when I say that it is often relatively easy to see what a player does or doesn't do well on tape, but it is much more difficult to see A.) if what they do well translates to the NFL, B.) if what they do well should be highly valued.

That was the struggle for me when evaluating Penn State safety Marcus Allen. It didn’t require many game tapes to see he’s an excellent run defender, whether coming from deep or the box. Allen processes and attacks run keys as well as any safety in this class, flying downhill and filling the alley without hesitation.

Allen’s angles to the football and tackling are superb, despite the fact that he often comes in hot looking to lay the wood. He has an uncanny ability to sift through trash and find the ball carrier, beating blockers to spots so he doesn’t have to shuck them.

So what’s the problem? How’d this guy get to Round Five? He sounds awesome.

to read rest of article:

https://scout.com/nfl/steelers/Article/So-What-Will-The-Steelers-Do-At-Inside-Linebacker-117899516