PDA

View Full Version : Ben: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: The Mason Rudolph Era is 'not going to be for a while'

The Steelers QB also said Tuesday he plans on playing “for three to five more years.”

by Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MAY 1, 2018

Like most everyone else, Ben Roethlisberger was surprised when the Steelers drafted quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round last Friday.

Unlike others, he does not see Rudolph as his successor in a year or two. That’s because Roethlisberger, 36, believes he will play another three to five years and has told management and his coaches as much.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/01/mason-rudolph-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201805010130

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Drama queen!!!:drama:

:chuckle:

steelcityboyz
05-01-2018, 04:24 PM
It's great to hear Ben say that.. In all honesty I hope he does play 5 more years.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Keep playing Ben!

Hopefully, we will know what we have in Rudolph before Ben retires.

JayC
05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
where was this 5 years comment before the draft?

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 04:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3m22Kzu0k

AtlantaDan
05-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Lots of caveats in the actual quote - some might call the five years possibility fake news :rolleyes:

“But I plan on playing for three to five more years, depending on how the line goes and staying healthy, if I can stay healthy. “If he’s going to be their guy, that’s great, but in my perfect world it’s not going to be for a while.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/01/mason-rudolph-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201805010130

Given that contracts for the entire starting O-line expire by the end of the 2020 season (Foster this season, Pouncey & Gilbert end in 2019), Ben's injury history, and Ben having been known to contradict himself over time, my best case scenario is three more years for Ben, as much as I wish he could play at a high level for longer than that.

Not Ben bashing - he is the greatest QB in Steelers history but aging gets everyone eventually

bendsteel
05-01-2018, 05:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3m22Kzu0k

Ben says that like it is 100% his call. For all anyone knows, his production might plummet like a stone in 2-3 years. The again, he could be Pro bowl and go strong until 40+. We could win it all this year and he could change his mind like his underwear and bounce. I am happy that Colbert and Co are at least proceeding with what THEY think is the right move and not coddling Ben by not bringing in prospects for the future....whenever that may occur.

Dwinsgames
05-01-2018, 06:35 PM
hope he does continue to play ....

that said we all pay for car insurance JUST in case , nobody PLANS to get in a wreck and need it ...........

DesertSteel
05-01-2018, 07:40 PM

I think you’re trying to be a drama queen with that new avi lol :)

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 07:54 PM
I think you’re trying to be a drama queen with that new avi lol :)

Bring on all the drama.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/l4Jz6QaSF2sAKebwA/giphy.gif

Shoes
05-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Whats this, Ben feeling little heat because the Steelers drafted a competitor and not a Landry Jones who's happy as a backup?

smokin3000gt
05-02-2018, 02:19 AM
I'm surprised but pleased to hear that he would like to play longer

Steeldude
05-02-2018, 04:49 AM
It's why they should have waited.

Bluecoat96
05-02-2018, 05:28 AM
It's why they should have waited.Gee...thanks for the input, Captain Poopy-Pants.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Texasteel
05-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Wait to what? Ben to have a serious concussion? Ben to loose a knee? Both things that could happen at any moment, and like it or not, is more likely to happen to an older player. Every team needs a good #2 QB , and from what I have read most around here does not that that is the one we have now. It looks like the Steelers are thinking the same.

I thought they would wait one more year as well, but they saw a player they liked. Probably didn't think they would have a shot at a better QB next year, and pulled the trigger. I just hope this does not effect Ben's ability to help the kid become a better QB.

tube517
05-02-2018, 08:47 AM
If Oakland doesn't offer a 3rd for Martavis, do the Steelers still go after Rudolph?

Dwinsgames
05-02-2018, 09:06 AM
If Oakland doesn't offer a 3rd for Martavis, do the Steelers still go after Rudolph?

just a guess ... but I think it changes not only round 3 but rd 2 as well

AtlantaDan
05-02-2018, 11:43 AM

According to Gerry Dulac of the P-G, if the Steelers had kept Bryant and not needed to use the second round pick on Washington they would have taken Rudolph in the second round

All I know is the Steelers had him graded right with the other top QBs. They were going to take him in the second round until they traded Martavis Bryant and all of a sudden needed a No. 3 receiver.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/02/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-5-2-18/stories/201805020116

Mojouw
05-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I think the Bryant trade was made to help fuel a Round 1 trade up for a LB. Washington was likely always the 2nd round pick. They needed another WR in the system no matter what happened with Martavis. In fact, I am still hoping they bring someone in. When the trade in the 1st round didn't happen, then I think Rudolph came into serious play.

As to whether or not he plays, at all, before his contract is up - who cares? Is he better than Jones and Dobbs? Almost certainly. Although the truly terrifying thing is that Landry Jones has better college stats and was regarded as having a better arm coming out of school. So there is that fact to give you all comfort moving forward. But back to my point. Look at Keenum and Foles last year. It is like the NFL finally remembered that if you are attempting to be a Super Bowl team, you need to have back-up capable of stepping in and winning football games, not simply just doing enough not to lose. If a playoff caliber team lost Ben R for a 3+ game stretch with Jones and Dobbs on the roster? Might as well pack up your stuff and go home. Season is likely over, or at least the part where they make a serious playoff run. Moving forward, if Rudolph is the buy the most positive evaluations have him as, then they have a back-up capable of stepping in and running the full offense and salvaging a playoff run.

Worst case scenario is that Rudolph looks awful and Jones and Dobbs look better with Dobbs getting cut to try and salvage the draft pick.
Middle case scenario is that Rudolph legit beats out one of Jones or Dobbs and settles in to develop as the #2
Best case scenario is that Rudolph comes out and lights things up and plays as the #2. Ben plays 3-5 more years and right before the end of Rudolph's contract, they trade him Garappolo style.

They are different versions of this, of course. Also for those that want to help Landry Jones pack, need to remember how much Ben likes him. That simple fact, Ben wanting someone around, kept Chaz Batch on the roster well past his expiration date.

SteelMember
05-02-2018, 11:59 AM
I think Ben's only in for another three years... if we're lucky. We needed someone better than our current options. Even if he's not the eventual answer, we have to start now. Waiting until the year before won't fly.

fwiw, I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Ben/Landry/Mason

Mojouw
05-02-2018, 12:52 PM
I think Ben's only in for another three years... if we're lucky. We needed someone better than our current options. Even if he's not the eventual answer, we have to start now. Waiting until the year before won't fly.

fwiw, I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Ben/Landry/Mason

I kinda reluctantly agree. There simply are not enough snaps to develop 2 young QBs.

Maybe they get cute and try and sneak Dobbs to the practice squad?

SteelMember
05-02-2018, 12:58 PM
I kinda reluctantly agree. There simply are not enough snaps to develop 2 young QBs.

I'm sure it's a possibility. Guys like Brian St.Pierre spend most of their career there.

Shoes
05-02-2018, 01:23 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-pick-of-mason-rudolph-seems-to-have-lit-a-fire-under-ben-roethlisberger/

SteelMember
05-02-2018, 01:29 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-pick-of-mason-rudolph-seems-to-have-lit-a-fire-under-ben-roethlisberger/

Another expert getting paid to basically re-write someone else's article... nice.

DesertSteel
05-02-2018, 01:37 PM

I think that a mysterious injury might loom in Dobbs future that lets them stash him on IR for a year. That would allow them to use Jones one more year then bump Rudolph to #2 in 2019 and have Dobbs as the #3.

Craic
05-02-2018, 02:32 PM
I think that a mysterious injury might loom in Dobbs future that lets them stash him on IR for a year. That would allow them to use Jones one more year then bump Rudolph to #2 in 2019 and have Dobbs as the #3.

That . . . makes a ton of sense. The only problem I see with it is Dobbs agreeing because it would affect his ability to sign with other teams down the road. They'd be weary of someone with an injury that kept him out all year.

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I'd prefer to just go to a straight 65 man roster with no "practice squad."

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Ben Roethlisberger: ‘I’ll Do Whatever I Can To Help’ Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 2, 2018

If you were worried (or perhaps even excited) about a quarterback controversy, it doesn’t sound as though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is interested in one—on either front.

For one thing, he spoke publicly for the first time since dabbling with retirement about his belief that he could play for multiple seasons without qualifying those statements. He even upped it to maybe five years, which would cross him well over the 40 bridge. So as long as Mason Rudolph is patient, there is no controversy brewing.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/ben-roethlisberger-ill-do-whatever-i-can-to-help-mason-rudolph/

tube517
05-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: ‘I’ll Do Whatever I Can To Help’ Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 2, 2018

If you were worried (or perhaps even excited) about a quarterback controversy, it doesn’t sound as though Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is interested in one—on either front.

For one thing, he spoke publicly for the first time since dabbling with retirement about his belief that he could play for multiple seasons without qualifying those statements. He even upped it to maybe five years, which would cross him well over the 40 bridge. So as long as Mason Rudolph is patient, there is no controversy brewing.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/ben-roethlisberger-ill-do-whatever-i-can-to-help-mason-rudolph/

“Landry does a great job at that, he did it last year with Dobbs. It’s kind of the backup’s role”.

So, in essence, Ben says "I'll help" but later "That's Landry's job, kind of." DRAMA QUEEN!! :lol:

st33lersguy
05-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Easy to say that now, but we won't know for sure.

teegre
05-03-2018, 06:21 AM
2017:
Media asks Ben if he’s retiring soon.
“Maybe”
:director: DRAMA!!!

2018:
Media asks Ben if he’s retiring soon.
“In 5 years”
:director: DRAMA!!!

EzraTank
05-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Maybe in 5 years we'll have a defense again?

DesertSteel
05-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe in 5 years we'll have a defense again?
Without Ben, AB and Bell on offense.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Without Ben, AB and Bell on offense.

https://jeremypress.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/img_0987.gif

Rotorhead
05-03-2018, 02:22 PM
As stated above, best case is MR becomes our franchise replacement in around 3 years (like Rodgers), second best case MR becomes Garapallo #2, third best case MR become a forever back like Jones, worst case is he was a wasted pick.

86WARD
05-03-2018, 06:26 PM
As stated above, best case is MR becomes our franchise replacement in around 3 years (like Rodgers), second best case MR becomes Garapallo #2, third best case MR become a forever back like Jones, worst case is he was a wasted pick like Dobbs

Fixed

Shoes
05-03-2018, 07:31 PM
I sure hope dingleberry didn't pay for those glasses. I present The Three Stooges! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hPkSbqfXI

pczach
05-03-2018, 07:49 PM
I sure hope dingleberry didn't pay for those glasses. I present The Three Stooges! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hPkSbqfXI

This is the perfect example of why I never watch their show or listen to any of them.....ever.

Not a single thing was put into context, and many things said were factually incorrect.

Does Ben say too much sometimes? Yep

Does much of what Ben says sometimes honest and simply saying what he actually thinks sometimes? Absolutely

The drama here is listening to these buffoons continue to say stuff over and over again that they know is inaccurate and inflammatory. Hot takes are just so annoying to me anymore. If even one of them said "you know what....when Ben said he doesn't have it anymore after the first Jags game, he was being sarcastic".....I could at least say there was some substance.....but none of them did because it didn't fit the intent of the inflammatory edge of the discussion that they went over pre-show.

Useless discussions by bomb throwers don't interest me.

Shoes
05-03-2018, 08:48 PM
I don't listen to them either, I was doing a search on teardrop trailers and saw it on the sidebar. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
05-03-2018, 09:03 PM
This is the perfect example of why I never watch their show or listen to any of them.....ever.

Not a single thing was put into context, and many things said were factually incorrect.

Does Ben say too much sometimes? Yep

Does much of what Ben says sometimes honest and simply saying what he actually thinks sometimes? Absolutely

The drama here is listening to these buffoons continue to say stuff over and over again that they know is inaccurate and inflammatory. Hot takes are just so annoying to me anymore. If even one of them said "you know what....when Ben said he doesn't have it anymore after the first Jags game, he was being sarcastic".....I could at least say there was some substance.....but none of them did because it didn't fit the intent of the inflammatory edge of the discussion that they went over pre-show.

Useless discussions by bomb throwers don't interest me.

Agreed.

Regardless of the reason for the change of heart, I am psyched.

If Ben plays another 3-5 years, this is great for the Steelers.

Dwinsgames
05-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Agreed.

Regardless of the reason for the change of heart, I am psyched.

If Ben plays another 3-5 years, this is great for the Steelers.

Yep ...as long as he is playing at a high level I see no down side to it , if he falters maybe we have the next man up , maybe not

Steeldude
05-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Wait to what? Ben to have a serious concussion? Ben to loose a knee? Both things that could happen at any moment, and like it or not, is more likely to happen to an older player. Every team needs a good #2 QB , and from what I have read most around here does not that that is the one we have now. It looks like the Steelers are thinking the same.

I thought they would wait one more year as well, but they saw a player they liked. Probably didn't think they would have a shot at a better QB next year, and pulled the trigger. I just hope this does not effect Ben's ability to help the kid become a better QB.

Why draft a QB when he won't be used for 3 or more years from now. QB was not a pressing need this draft, IMO.

Texasteel
05-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Why draft a QB when he won't be used for 3 or more years from now. QB was not a pressing need this draft, IMO.

Neither of us, or anyone else can say we will not need a QB for 3 years or even 1 year. Ben has been hurt before and likely will be again. He may not miss another game because of injury, but his age, the way he plays the game, and the fact that the refs, have and will continue to, let him to take late hits, low hits, and muggings in general, I would say the odds are against him.
Add the fact that he has been talking retirement before I think that waiting for one of these thinks to happen and then hoping we can find a stop gap QB may not be the best way to go.

Think the real question is, are we happy with Landry as the #2QB. It would seem the Steelers answer to that question is NO.

The one question that is stuck in my head would be. If Rudolph was their guy, the one they would turn over the offense too some day. Why did they draft his WR first. Particularly when they have reached a little to get " Their Guy" in the past.

Dwinsgames
05-04-2018, 08:55 AM
The Steelers most often are a BPA team in terms of drafting , they do not include players on their draft board that are not of a Need in the first round but after that its BPA from THEIR board not Joe schmo bloggers board ...

they will draft the next best player if it is a pos of need and the players are close in value ( Colberts words ) but generally whomever is their top rated player left on the board they select him , having a room full of talent at a Pos is not considered a problem , in fact they say " its a good problem to have"

this team has been drafting this way for a very very long time and for a team who does not do much in terms of shock and awe in the free agency department the results of such a drafting strategy speak for themselves .... 6 Lombardi's in the trophy case ( thats more than everyone else ) and in serious contention almost on a yearly basis for that elusive 7th ...

so yes we may disagree with selections , methodology and roster configurations but at the end of the day no franchise in the history of the league has been more successful of reaching the Pinnacle of the sport so perhaps they know what is best after all ?

AtlantaDan
05-04-2018, 09:14 AM

How do you know Ben will be playing, let alone effective, for 3 or more years from now? Even assuming Ben does not change his mind and quit (he is set for life financially and might not care to hang around if the Steelers are not realistic Super Bowl contenders after 2019) it is not simply his call to make

Peyton Manning had one of his greatest seasons in 2013, declined significantly in 2014, and was horrible in 2015 before he retired - when QBs lose their talent it can happen quickly

This from the P-G

Pro Football Reference’s “similar players” feature is instructive in this regard. For each player profile on its site, PFR provides a list of historically comparable players based on production (as opposed to style) to help us add context to the statistical profiles of modern stars. (You can read more about the methodology here (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/indexa215.html?p=556).) And Roethlisberger’s comparables (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00.htm) don’t paint a pretty picture for his future.

Through 14 seasons, Roethlisberger’s career best compares to those of Jim Kelly, Eli Manning, Terry Bradshaw, Drew Bledsoe, John Hadl, Donovan McNabb, Bob Griese, Mark Brunell, Steve McNair and Warren Moon....

Of Roethlisberger’s nine retired comparables, six flamed out with their original team before retiring. Of the others, two — Griese and Kelly — saw steep drops in production between their final two years as full-time starters. And Bradshaw, famously, was plagued by elbow troubles before he walked away.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/05/03/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-rumors-mason-rudolph-nfl-draft/stories/201805030060

If the Steelers had a first round grade on Rudolph burning a third round pick on him is a justfiable insurance policy to avoid having to suddenly draft/sign a replacement

teegre
05-04-2018, 09:26 AM
@TexasSteel
@Dwins
@AtlantaDan

Great posts. But, you will ultimately lose this discussion, because you have this need to use logic and facts. :wink02:

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 11:49 AM
The one question that is stuck in my head would be. If Rudolph was their guy, the one they would turn over the offense too some day. Why did they draft his WR first. Particularly when they have reached a little to get " Their Guy" in the past.
Likely, they had the two closely rated on their board, so need won out in the 2nd since WR was more pressing than QB. Then they got lucky with their 3rd pick in that he was still there.

GBMelBlount
05-04-2018, 04:32 PM
I am curious how much differently Rudolph will be paid over the next 3-4 years as a late third round QB vs. a late 1st or 2nd round?

Dwinsgames
05-04-2018, 05:16 PM
I am curious how much differently Rudolph will be paid over the next 3-4 years as a late third round QB vs. a late 1st or 2nd round?

will be on rookie 3rd round deal so ...CHEAP

Davis Webb drafted 3rd round last year is set to make 605k this year , so basing it on that probably about 650k ( drafted a bit sooner in 3rd and financials are a bit more this year )

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Ben Roethlisberger 'surprised' Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was surprised the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted a quarterback after he notified them about his plan to play three to five more years.

Appearing on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Friday, Roethlisberger was pointed when asked about last week's selection of Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph with the 76th overall pick.

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23406759/quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-surprised-pittsburgh-steelers-drafted-mason-rudolph

Texasteel
05-05-2018, 07:13 AM
I do wish that Ben would pay more attention to the up coming season, which is his job, and less to what players where drafted last month, which is not his job. To be fair though, he is being asked these questions, and are probably answering honestly. I just wish his answer would be a little more diplomatic. You know, something like. " I don't worry about who the front office puts on the team, I just have to worry about getting the most out or them when they get on the feild."

Dwinsgames
05-05-2018, 08:35 AM
I do wish that Ben would pay more attention to the up coming season, which is his job, and less to what players where drafted last month, which is not his job. To be fair though, he is being asked these questions, and are probably answering honestly. I just wish his answer would be a little more diplomatic. You know, something like. " I don't worry about who the front office puts on the team, I just have to worry about getting the most out or them when they get on the feild."

in a perfect world .......

Born2Steel
05-05-2018, 09:43 AM
If Ben does indeed play another 3-5 seasons the Mason Rudolph era will most likely never happen for this team anyway. Why is this even a debate when it requires time to pass to know the outcome?

cubanstogie
05-05-2018, 10:36 AM
If Ben does indeed play another 3-5 seasons the Mason Rudolph era will most likely never happen for this team anyway. Why is this even a debate when it requires time to pass to know the outcome?
Do you actually think Ben can play another 5 years. Realistically I think 2 at most. Its a young mans game, even TB is on the decline, and he gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds. If Rudolph is not the guy then they will draft another QB next year. Fact is Ben is eventually going to have to be replaced, and I would rather them waste a pick here and there than not draft a successor and Landry steps in.

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Mason Rudolph responds to Big Ben's comments about when he might play

By: Simon A Chester

The response of Ben Roethlisberger to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ selection of Mason Rudolph has hardly been welcoming, but it would seem the apparent cold feelings are not necessarily mutual.

Appearing on “Path to the Draft” on the NFL Network, Rudolph was asked his opinion about Roethlisberger’s post-draft comments and the rookie quarterback managed to be far more diplomatic with his answer than Big Ben had been with his initial remarks.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/05/mason-rudolph-responds-to-ben-roethlisberger-comments-about-when-he-might-play-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-picks-2018/?utm_source=outbrain_steelerswire&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Did Ben say last season that the Josh Dobbs era is "not going to be for a while"?

I'm just wondering why he seems upset they spent a 3rd round pick on a QB, while I cant remember him being butt hurt when they spent a 4th round pick on a QB??

86WARD
05-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Did Ben say last season that the Josh Dobbs era is "not going to be for a while"?

I'm just wondering why he seems upset they spent a 3rd round pick on a QB, while I cant remember him being butt hurt when they spent a 4th round pick on a QB??

Probably because no one was asking him about it and Josh Dobbs wasn’t exactly a potential first round pick like Rudolph was? Ben also didn’t help himself planting the retirement seed las lt year in turn creating a “Steelers preparing for the future” headline. Jones also was entrenched as the backup QB at the time so the assumption was, by media, that Dobbs is coming in as a Third String Guy. Much like when Jones was drafted in the 4th round and was replacing Charlie Batch, after the Steelers signed Gradkowski. Neither Jones nor Dobbs was as high a profile pick as Rudolph. Just a thought or two...

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2018, 06:59 PM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

James C Wexell Retweeted mike freeman

Bradshaw, 35, said he would play 5 more years.
So Steelers passed on Marino.
Rooney cited the mistake in drafting Ben.
Rinse and repeat, but learn from history. Ben’s 36.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

GBMelBlount
05-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Perhaps thou doth protest too much? :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2018, 01:42 AM
Perhaps thou doth protest too much? :wink02:

Yes, I think he does.

Ben is the greatest QB in Steelers history.

Ben is the biggest drama queen in Steelers history.

Josh Dobbs wasn't even the top 3 QB in the 2017 Senior Bowl................some think Mason Rudolph was a 1st round pick, so Ben is 36 years old and lamenting the Steelers drafting a possible successor, after him dramatically hinting at retirement for 2 seasons. Sad that a 36 year old multi millionaire, still needs to grow up and be a man.

Texasteel
05-06-2018, 06:57 AM
I just read the comments of Dobbs, you know, the guy that will probably end up on the PS or on another team because of the Rudolph pick . I can not believe he is acting more adult and really more professional than a 4 year veteran.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2018, 01:45 PM
I just read the comments of Dobbs, you know, the guy that will probably end up on the PS or on another team because of the Rudolph pick . I can not believe he is acting more adult and really more professional than a 15 year veteran.

there, fixed that for you.

smokin3000gt
05-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Bottom line is that Ben loves to play with things are in his favor and we're winning games. As soon as he loses a big game he's saying his good byes to the team on the bench before the game clock gets to zero. He hates losing and talks about retirement every year. He has the right to be unhappy about anything he wants but I do wish he'd keep his mouth shut. He has the benefit of only needing to care about today and not worry about tomorrow but the FO doesn't have the same luxury.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Ben's not the only one:

Lamar Jackson not being warmly welcomed by Joe Flacco, Ravens already impressed

The Ravens are already gushing over Lamar Jackson

by John Breech

If the NFL wants to put together a dramatic reality show this year, they should skip out on Hard Knocks and just put a camera in the quarterback room of every team in the AFC North.
Not only do we have the ongoing drama in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, but it appears that Joe Flacco hasn't exactly broken out the welcome wagon for Baltimore's newest quarterback, Lamar Jackson.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lamar-jackson-not-being-warmly-welcomed-by-joe-flacco-ravens-already-impressed/

GBMelBlount
05-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Ben's not the only one:

Lamar Jackson not being warmly welcomed by Joe Flacco, Ravens already impressed

The Ravens are already gushing over Lamar Jackson

by John Breech

If the NFL wants to put together a dramatic reality show this year, they should skip out on Hard Knocks and just put a camera in the quarterback room of every team in the AFC North.
Not only do we have the ongoing drama in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, but it appears that Joe Flacco hasn't exactly broken out the welcome wagon for Baltimore's newest quarterback, Lamar Jackson.

to read rest of article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lamar-jackson-not-being-warmly-welcomed-by-joe-flacco-ravens-already-impressed/

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShorttermNewCrocodileskink-max-1mb.gif

hawaiiansteeler
05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc7hT7tXUAETfcz.jpg

SteelMember
05-11-2018, 03:20 PM
So, Mason is #2 and Landry is #3.... Hmmm :chuckle:

stillers4me
05-11-2018, 04:59 PM

86WARD
05-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Brian St. Pierre

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Brian St. Pierre

That is what #2 reminded me of too. Lets hope he is a lot better.

Shoes
05-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Look at Tomlin with that big smile on his face, who's that he standing next to? :chuckle:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vwhd1c.jpg

GBMelBlount
05-13-2018, 09:24 PM
That is what #2 reminded me of too. Lets hope he is a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJKY59NX8o

BlackAndGold
05-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Look at Tomlin with that big smile on his face, who's that he standing next to? :chuckle:

This is a serious relationship.

AtlantaDan
05-14-2018, 04:05 PM

Hope Ben does not unfriend Tomlin on Facebook because of this photo :chuckle:

tube517
05-14-2018, 06:19 PM

I don't see how this picture helps the team win now. :noidea: :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
05-14-2018, 06:22 PM
I don't see how this picture helps the team win now. :noidea: :chuckle:

male bonding brings teams closer together :grouphug:

Lady Steel
05-17-2018, 02:15 PM
Bottom line is that Ben loves to play with things are in his favor and we're winning games. As soon as he loses a big game he's saying his good byes to the team on the bench before the game clock gets to zero. He hates losing and talks about retirement every year. He has the right to be unhappy about anything he wants but I do wish he'd keep his mouth shut. He has the benefit of only needing to care about today and not worry about tomorrow but the FO doesn't have the same luxury.

Personally, I'm quite happy Ben hates losing, but that's just me.

smokin3000gt
05-18-2018, 12:58 AM
Personally, I'm quite happy Ben hates losing, but that's just me.

:rolleyes:

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Labriola: Landry Jones, not Mason Rudolph, is Steelers' No.2 QB

By BRYAN DEARDO

Mason Rudolph apparently won't be in a position battle with Landry Jones to be the Pittsburgh Steelers' No.2 quarterback in 2018.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Landry-Jones-not-Mason-Rudolph-is-Pittsburgh-Steelers-No2-QB-118804209

pczach
06-05-2018, 08:30 PM

By BRYAN DEARDO

Mason Rudolph apparently won't be in a position battle with Landry Jones to be the Pittsburgh Steelers' No.2 quarterback in 2018.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Landry-Jones-not-Mason-Rudolph-is-Pittsburgh-Steelers-No2-QB-118804209

It probably makes sense for the team to say that even if they believe Rudolph is the better player. I wouldn't doubt that the Steelers would be open to trading Jones if they really believe Rudolph is ready, and some other team shows interest in Jones.

They may genuinely love Jones and covet him as a backup. They may also just be trying to talk up every quarterback they have to try to create interest from other teams.

I guess we'll see how things play out.

BlackAndGold
06-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Ben wasn't even the #2 QB in his rookie year.

But the coaches will let them play it out.

Lady Steel
06-06-2018, 11:45 PM

By BRYAN DEARDO

to read rest of article:

Welp, that blows.

Butch
06-07-2018, 06:47 AM
Ben wasn't even the #2 QB in his rookie year.

But the coaches will let them play it out.

Not true he was the starter 3 games into the season and was not defeated until we lost the championship game to a team that cheated.

He beat the Eagles who came in on something like a 7 game win streak and the following week beat the cheating team who were on an even longer streak going back to the year before.

BlackAndGold
06-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Not true he was the starter 3 games into the season and was not defeated until we lost the championship game to a team that cheated.

He beat the Eagles who came in on something like a 7 game win streak and the following week beat the cheating team who were on an even longer streak going back to the year before.

He was the #3 QB until Batch got hurt in preseason.

DesertSteel
06-07-2018, 05:35 PM
I thought Ben beat out Bradshaw??? Did I miss an era???

hawaiiansteeler
06-07-2018, 06:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsjAOMvCx0&feature=player_embedded

Butch
06-08-2018, 06:35 AM
He was the #3 QB until Batch got hurt in preseason.

Yep and was the #2 until Maddox got hurt. Then lead us all the way to the championship game and the very next year to the Super Bowl. Guess sometimes coaches don't know what they have until they throw the guy into the fire. Thank Goodness for Divine intervention.

Yep and wasn't even the guy that cowher wanted. His rookie year he got us to the championship game. The next year we won the Super Bowl. Just goes to show that just because you are a professional coach that you are always a good evaluator.

hawaiiansteeler
06-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Yep and was the #2 until Maddox got hurt. Then lead us all the way to the championship game and the very next year to the Super Bowl. Guess sometimes coaches don't know what they have until they throw the guy into the fire. Thank Goodness for Divine intervention.

Yep and wasn't even the guy that cowher wanted. His rookie year he got us to the championship game. The next year we won the Super Bowl. Just goes to show that just because you are a professional coach that you are always a good evaluator.

I just read where Bruce Arians wanted to cut Antonio Brown

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/08/report-former-pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-wanted-to-cut-antonio-brown-before-his-rookie-season/

Hawkman
06-08-2018, 01:50 PM

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/08/report-former-pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-wanted-to-cut-antonio-brown-before-his-rookie-season/

Yep, we could have kept Arnaz Battle and let the other AB go.

https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-shazier-as-a-man-ab-vs-ba

tube517
06-08-2018, 02:00 PM

AB has been posting some strange tweets/instagram.

Also, wasn't Arians the one who wanted to draft AB?

Lady Steel
06-08-2018, 11:45 PM

Also, wasn't Arians the one who wanted to draft AB

I'm wondering if someone hacked into his Twitter account. It just seems so odd.

On second thought, I think maybe someone tried to, or did, take advantage of him and it pissed him off. I dunno. What do you think about it?

Hawkman
06-09-2018, 01:01 AM

On second thought, I think maybe someone tried to, or did, take advantage of him and it pissed him off. I dunno. What do you think about it?

Does it really matter, BA is out and AB is still the best. .....See what I did?

Mojouw
06-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Seems like these high level pro athletes run on “disrespect” as motivation. If there isn’t something obvious, they will manufacture something. Now, thanks to social media, we get to see that process. Oh joy. Happy Day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Yep, we could have kept Arnaz Battle and let the other AB go.

WOW ! I knew I didn't like Arians offenses, because they devalued the run game and for that reason, had a hard time running a 4 minute offense to close out games....but as a talent evaluator that shows some lousy insight. He wanted to cut a future Hall of Fame WR????

Maybe he wanted the roster spot for another TE/H-back? What a clown.

AtlantaDan
06-10-2018, 09:31 AM
WOW ! I knew I didn't like Arians offenses, because they devalued the run game and for that reason, had a hard time running a 4 minute offense to close out games....but as a talent evaluator that shows some lousy insight. He wanted to cut a future Hall of Fame WR????

These observations from Labriola in the linked article regarding AB and BA - apparently Labriola is as much a fan of Arians as I am :chuckle:

Maybe what spurred this is how Arians has been heard on the local airwaves recently to help talk shows fill the air during a time of the year when there is no local NBA franchise, when the hockey team is out of the playoffs, and when the baseball team is slumping. Since the national networks always are eager to promote their broadcast crews, and few love the sound of their own voice as much as Arians, it was a natural to dial him up and get him on the air.

Full disclosure: I have no idea what Arians said or might have said in these appearances, because I have no interest in listening to what always devolves into self-promotion or self-congratulation....

So this fall, if you happen to be listening to Arians on a talk show or as an analyst during a CBS telecast, just keep in mind that the same guy who’s talking to you in that moment is the same one who wanted to cut Antonio Brown.

86WARD
06-10-2018, 11:56 AM

Also, wasn't Arians the one who wanted to draft AB?

I’ve been following him and yes, he has. He will get into some sort of social media distraction at some point...he’s all over it and at times, he’s a little bit out there...

Mojouw
06-10-2018, 01:04 PM
These observations from Labriola in the linked article regarding AB and BA - apparently Labriola is as much a fan of Arians as I am :chuckle:

Maybe what spurred this is how Arians has been heard on the local airwaves recently to help talk shows fill the air during a time of the year when there is no local NBA franchise, when the hockey team is out of the playoffs, and when the baseball team is slumping. Since the national networks always are eager to promote their broadcast crews, and few love the sound of their own voice as much as Arians, it was a natural to dial him up and get him on the air.

Full disclosure: I have no idea what Arians said or might have said in these appearances, because I have no interest in listening to what always devolves into self-promotion or self-congratulation....

So this fall, if you happen to be listening to Arians on a talk show or as an analyst during a CBS telecast, just keep in mind that the same guy who’s talking to you in that moment is the same one who wanted to cut Antonio Brown.

This is a bit of revisionist history. AB put up #'s in preseason, but many were against back-ups. He looked great in practice. You know who looks dominant in every single practice and training camp he has ever been in? Justin Hunter.

This is not really an attempt to defend BA. He is very clearly in love with himself and has decided he is a football genius - despite evidence to the contrary. However, while cutting AB would have been a mistake -- sending him to the practice squad was not the massive idiocy it seems in hindsight.

However, I am really really glad, someone else with some damn sense won the day. I'm going to guess Richard Mann?

tube517
06-10-2018, 01:08 PM

Arians did release future HOF'er John Kuhn so all of this should be no surprise. :coffee:

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Ben McAdoo would have chosen Mason Rudolph before Baker Mayfield:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/ben-mcadoo-rated-baker-mayfield-sixth-among-2018-quarterback-prospects/

DesertSteel
07-19-2018, 12:32 PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/16/ben-mcadoo-rated-baker-mayfield-sixth-among-2018-quarterback-prospects/
That was a common thought process during some periods of the evaluation process.

teegre
07-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Bob McAdoo looks like guy who uses a BOGO coupon at the bowling alley, to get two games for himself.

#DanLeBatardShow

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2018, 12:40 AM
Bob McAdoo looks like guy who uses a BOGO coupon at the bowling alley, to get two games for himself.

#DanLeBatardShow

Yup and didn't he choose Geno Smith over Eli Manning to start a game? I cant believe anybody gave him a job as an NFL analyst.