PDA

View Full Version : 2017 vs. 2018 Steelers

GBMelBlount
04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
A lot of unknowns at this point, however...

Is your initial gut that the offense, defense and special teams will be:

Worse? Better? Same?

DesertSteel
04-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Offense significantly better. Receiving corp better and the new RB giving versatility.
Defense better than post-Shazier team from last year. Sub packages better. Bostic > Spence.
Special teams: same

86WARD
04-29-2018, 04:33 PM
On paper, at this stage, I feel like the offense is a tiny bit worse, the defense the same and special teams...has to be worse if Danny Smith is still around...:wink02:

Shoes
04-29-2018, 04:44 PM
A lot of unknowns at this point, however...

Is your initial gut that the offense, defense and special teams will be:

Worse? Better? Same?

I think the team will be better in all three phases. Bell will be here this year, with Conner, Samuel & Nix behind him we should been in good shape in the RB Department. The Oline is in good shape and Munch has a rookie L/R tackle he's excited about. I think the QB department just got much better with the addition of Mason and expect him to be the #2 QB by the start of the season. This kid isn't here to play for the #2 spot, he wants Ben's job, and thats a good thing. The WR's look good with the addition of Washington.

Here are the WR:

Brown
Griffey
Henderson
DHB
Hunter
Jones
JuJu
Thomas
Tucker
Washington
Probably Rogers

The weakest link is the TE's (%/&8%#)

I think the D will also improved. Watt should be much better, Bud has to get on the stick and I'd still slide him inside if he doesn't make progress on the edge, Cam, Tuitt & Hargrave are sure as the sunrise plus we have Frazier who will send Big Dan into the insurance business. We also have Kelon who was showing some good promise before his injury last year.

I expect at least two or three of the UDFA to make the roster, looks like a very good group. Adeniyi really stood out from on a vid from BlackandGold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=Vg_dtGE890Q

FrancoLambert
04-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Offense: depends on Bell-Einstein's level of play after his prolonged off-season, assuming he misses all of camp and preseason....a good bet.

Defense: should be better considering talent/maturity/secondary additions/addition of tacklers. If it doesn't...indict the coaches.

Special Teams: as posted above....Danny Smith.

st33lersguy
04-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Offense: A push at worst, any drop off from Bryant to Washington will be made up for by Washington not being a head case

Defense: If Morgan Burnett stays healthy (big if) and plays well, they will get better. Still though, it might not be enough to prevent the defense from getting roasted to a crisp in the postseason again. The defense needed major changes and a big overhaul, and it didn't happen

Born2Steel
04-30-2018, 12:49 PM
If the defense is indeed changing philosophy expect some growing pains this season. Up side is the early part of next year's schedule is deemed the easier part. Down side is it's division games. Guess we will see.

Edman
04-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Offense:

No Todd Haley. (Or this could be addition by Subtraction depending on how some view him)
Martavis Bryant is gone and replaced by James Washington.
Le'Veon Bell offseason showdown looming

Verdict: Offense will be worse than last year.

Defense: It can't get any worse than the second half of last year and the Jaguars playoff debacle, so it can only go up from here.

ALLD
04-30-2018, 03:35 PM
O + D + ST = Win division and 1 playoff game, then go down in flames.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Offense - possibly better by the end of the season - as Ben gets in a rhythm with Washington and Juju has a 2nd year under his belt.

Defense - Possibly better by the end of the season - as lot of young players will have another year of experience and some of the new acquisitions may contribute in 2nd half of season.

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 06:46 PM
Offense and special teams will essentially tread water. Maybe there is an increase in offensive efficiency, but it really isn't like this team is suddenly going to do anything different. Big doses of Bell, AB, and deep shots spread around whoever demonstrates and ability to get open. MacDonald if he remains healthy will catch a ton of balls and Samuels will emerge as a fun match-up piece. But same overall story. An offense that can put up points with anyone and can score in a hurry, but doesn't always seem to get out of its own way.

On defense, it all depends on a handful of guys making a "leap". Watt, Dupree, Davis, Burns, Tuitt, and Hargrave are the best chances the defense has for emergence of "playmaker". Bostic and Burnett will serve as upgrades, but are not suddenly going to rise up and start playing like All-Pros. A couple of those 2-4th year guys are going to have put all the pieces together and become a guy that offenses have to account for. If not, then it will be different than last year, but same end result. A defense that looks like it can stop anyone in the league one week and then can get run out of the stadium the next.

GBMelBlount
05-03-2018, 06:19 AM
Steelers Quietly Became the Team to Beat After the 2018 NFL Draft

There was nothing splashy about the Steelers draft. They took no big risks, made no gonzo trades. They didn't select any "storyline" guys. The Steelers didn't do any of the things that merit A-plus or D-minus grades, which is why most draft-graders ranked them somewhere in the low/middle of the pack.

The Steelers draft class may look ordinary at first glance. But a closer look reveals Pittsburgh may have selected the rookie crop that finally returns it to the Super Bowl.

(Continued)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773648-steelers-quietly-became-the-team-to-beat-after-the-2018-nfl-draft

teegre
05-03-2018, 06:23 AM
2017 Steelers: 0 Lombardis

2018 Steelers: 1 Lombardi

DesertSteel
05-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Steelers Quietly Became the Team to Beat After the 2018 NFL Draft

There was nothing splashy about the Steelers draft. They took no big risks, made no gonzo trades. They didn't select any "storyline" guys. The Steelers didn't do any of the things that merit A-plus or D-minus grades, which is why most draft-graders ranked them somewhere in the low/middle of the pack.

The Steelers draft class may look ordinary at first glance. But a closer look reveals Pittsburgh may have selected the rookie crop that finally returns it to the Super Bowl.

(Continued)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773648-steelers-quietly-became-the-team-to-beat-after-the-2018-nfl-draft
That guy is drinking the Kool-Aid lol. They should just hand the Steelers the trophy now.

GBMelBlount
05-03-2018, 01:39 PM
That guy is drinking the Kool-Aid lol. They should just hand the Steelers the trophy now.

Go Steelers!!!!!

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/styles/mf_image_16x9/public/5j4hk6j45h.png?itok=o_Zpcf9o&resize=1100x619

pczach
05-03-2018, 06:54 PM
2017 Steelers: 0 Lombardis

2018 Steelers: 1 Lombardi

I love you man!

cubanstogie
05-03-2018, 08:02 PM
offense should be as good if not better if Ben plays full season again. No WR drama, I think McDonald will have a good year and all that needs to improve is Red Zone efficiency. So if Haley was to blame like a lot of us think then this offense should be better. Real question is the D that couldn't stop Jacksonville or some really bad QB's. I think Ravens will be better, Browns better and Cincy 8-8. With all the first , second round picks in the secondary you would think they would be a strength. Watt should improve which is scary good, the rest of LB crew has me worried. Im not expecting D to be dominate but average, I hope Im wrong. Special teams better, I think DHB will be replaced by a younger player and the return teams really cant go backwards. With that said, I am a homer. I have a hard time picking Steelers not to win as long as Ben and AB are playing.

GBMelBlount
05-03-2018, 08:34 PM
offense should be as good if not better if Ben plays full season again. No WR drama, I think McDonald will have a good year and all that needs to improve is Red Zone efficiency. So if Haley was to blame like a lot of us think then this offense should be better.

Real question is the D that couldn't stop Jacksonville or some really bad QB's. I think Ravens will be better, Browns better and Cincy 8-8. With all the first , second round picks in the secondary you would think they would be a strength. Watt should improve which is scary good, the rest of LB crew has me worried. Im not expecting D to be dominate but average, I hope Im wrong. Special teams better, I think DHB will be replaced by a younger player and the return teams really cant go backwards. With that said, I am a homer. I have a hard time picking Steelers not to win as long as Ben and AB are playing.

I agree on offense.

Washington can be as good as JuJu and if he hits his stride by the playoffs, watch tf out.

On defense: a young defense with another year of experience, a healthy Matakevitch and 4 solid additions through FA and the draft, I think we will be better and at minimum have more depth.

I am expecting well above average

teegre
05-03-2018, 08:57 PM
I love you man!

(read in the Mike Myers “All Things Scottish” voice)

Aih love yewww!!!

GBMelBlount
06-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Offense: A push at worst, any drop off from Bryant to Washington will be made up for by Washington not being a head case

Defense: If Morgan Burnett stays healthy (big if) and plays well, they will get better. Still though, it might not be enough to prevent the defense from getting roasted to a crisp in the postseason again.

The defense needed major changes and a big overhaul, and it didn't happen

I am curious if you (or anyone here) still feel the changes/improvements needed on defense won't happen?

I feel that with the two safeties (possibly LB) picked up in the draft, the two FA acquisitions and a few healthy people such as Sutton and Matekavich, that we have the elements/pieces that could develop into a possibly very good defense.

Steeldude
06-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Same.

Born2Steel
06-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Same.

I would take another 14-2 season with the #1 overall seed in the AFC. That is what the 2017 Steelers actually earned, even though it was taken away. Beyond that it was an injury that derailed the season again.

st33lersguy
06-02-2018, 10:55 AM
I am curious if you (or anyone here) still feel the changes/improvements needed on defense won't happen?

I feel that with the two safeties (possibly LB) picked up in the draft, the two FA acquisitions and a few healthy people such as Sutton and Matekavich, that we have the elements/pieces that could develop into a possibly very good defense.

One big problem is crap defensive coaches still remain. Keith Butler is a bad defensive coordinator, why he was kept after his porous track record the last 3 years is beyond me. Also not sure why the LB coaches remain after how poorly they had been doing with developing talent (Porter in particular).

Also while Sutton and Burnett are promising (granted if Burnett can stay healthy) Matakevich and Bostic are just guys. I like Edmunds, but he will likely need at least a year before living up to his potential and being the playmaker they need

pczach
06-02-2018, 08:06 PM
I would take another 14-2 season with the #1 overall seed in the AFC. That is what the 2017 Steelers actually earned, even though it was taken away. Beyond that it was an injury that derailed the season again.

I agree.

Lady Steel
06-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Offense: Better

Defense: Iffy at this point.

Special Teams: Needs to practice onside kicks.