PDA

View Full Version : Randy Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Mason Rudolph

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 10:30 PM
Randy Fichtner Knows There’s One Too Many In QB Room After Drafting Mason Rudolph

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2018

There’s a bit of an elephant in the room. People have different opinions about who that elephant will be, and when it will be determined who is the elephant. But Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner outright said that the elephant is going to have to go.

The elephant is the fourth quarterback, and after the team selected Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft yesterday, they now have four. With Ben Roethlisberger indicating that he wants to play for a few seasons yet, Landry Jones locked in as the backup (albeit on the final year of his contract) and Joshua Dobbs a fourth-round pick a year ago, there is going to be an odd man out.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/randy-fichtner-knows-theres-one-too-many-in-qb-room-after-drafting-mason-rudolph/

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 11:03 PM
Creates great competition. Bring on training camp.

j-d-s
04-29-2018, 11:21 AM
C'mon, it's obviously that Landry Jones needs to go. Maybe we can trade him to the Browns :chuckle:.

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2018, 01:22 PM
C'mon, it's obviously that Landry Jones needs to go. Maybe we can trade him to the Browns :chuckle:.

I think if Dobbs doesn't have a good pre-season he's the odd man out...

JayC
04-29-2018, 01:43 PM
i'd be surprised if dobbs beats out landry

Steelermania
04-29-2018, 01:54 PM

To me that's obvious as well. If he shows improvement, Jones could be on the hot seat, especially if Mason looks capable of filling in. At this point, Jones needs to look like at least a journeyman NFL qb when he takes the field in the first two preseason games. If he looks lost, what's the point of keeping him.

- - - Updated - - -

To me that's obvious as well. If he shows improvement, Jones could be on the hot seat, especially if Mason looks capable of filling in. At this point, Jones needs to look like at least a journeyman NFL qb when he takes the field in the first two preseason games. If he looks lost, what's the point of keeping him.

steelreserve
04-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Jones is not worth having on the roster. They only reason he's still here is because there was no attempt to find someone better. Rudolph ought to be both the primary backup and the developmental guy, which gets rid of any reason for Jones to be on the team. Anything you get out of your third-string QB is a bonus, so that's usually a what-the-hell guy like Dobbs, or if he doesn't work out, some other rando next year.

Trade Jones for whatever you can get, that's what I say.

st33lersguy
04-29-2018, 05:07 PM
I hope Jones is gone. If Dobbs go, they then essentially wasted a pick there. Plus Dobbs has a higher ceiling

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2018, 07:07 PM
I hope Jones is gone. If Dobbs go, they then essentially wasted a pick there. Plus Dobbs has a higher ceiling

What makes you think that Dobbs has a higher ceiling? He hasn't shown himself worth starting an NFL game yet. He may never show that. He didn't look any better than Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman, CJ Beathard at the 2017 Senior Bowl and in the Steelers preseason, he seemed to take his eyes off downfield receivers the moment the pocket seemed to get a bit messy.

Steeldude
04-29-2018, 07:40 PM
IMO, they will keep Jones. Jones is content with being the backup. Dobbs is younger and most likely wants to start soon or at least be given a shot. Jones is also the more experienced of the two.

steelreserve
04-29-2018, 09:44 PM
It would not be the end of the world if we let Dobbs go. He was a longshot at best, now we've got a guy who we are actually betting on.

At the same time, Jones just seems like one of those guys who is always going to be in the way as long as he's on the roster, so if he's the one they keep, you worry about things like ... they don't even have Rudolph active on game day for the entire first year and he learns nothing, and we bring Jones back again because he "has experience" and that whole thing drags on. Better if he's the one to go.

Shoes
04-29-2018, 10:01 PM
IMO, they will keep Jones. Jones is content with being the backup. Dobbs is younger and most likely wants to start soon or at least be given a shot. Jones is also the more experienced of the two.

The question is, will Jones be content at the #3 position if Mason is the #2 by the season opener? I think it's a very real possibility. Rudolph has said he is going to work to be the starter, this kid is driven.

Craic
04-29-2018, 10:04 PM
What makes you think that Dobbs has a higher ceiling? He hasn't shown himself worth starting an NFL game yet. He may never show that. He didn't look any better than Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman, CJ Beathard at the 2017 Senior Bowl and in the Steelers preseason, he seemed to take his eyes off downfield receivers the moment the pocket seemed to get a bit messy.

Several things. He has a great long ball. He never made the same mistake twice in preseason last year. He moved around in the pocket and behind the LOS, but didn't take off like so many were worried about. He has a rare combination of high intellect and athleticism. His QB rating went from 39.4 in his second game to 64 in is third game and to 113 in his fourth game (16/23 212 yards and a 9.2 average). He has only been in the league one year.

By comparison, Jones's last three years have had QB ratings of 43.8, 43.8, and 67. Granted, that may be a little unfair since one is playing against starters and the other is not. Then again, Jones's only outing this year was against the Browns, a winless team. So, it's probably not so unfair (and his QB rating is still 13 points lower from that game).

All-in-all, last year, Jones was probably a step, maybe a step and a half better than Dobbs, and that was his fifth year in the league. So yes, I'd saying the ceiling is much, much, higher. Does it mean he'll reach it? Nope, but there's a ton more potential there.

st33lersguy
04-29-2018, 10:24 PM

Dobbs is only a rookie and at least showed arm strength and the ability to hit some passes down the field in his rookie preseason. Landry's been in the league 5 years and literally all he's shown is the ability to barely beat the worst team in NFL history over the course of 2 seasons in his home stadium. Dobbs showed more ability in 1 preseason than Landry did in 5, and all the preseason games they won last year Dobbs finished all of them

Lady Steel
04-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Fire Landry!

And that's all I have to say about that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Dobbs is only a rookie and at least showed arm strength and the ability to hit some passes down the field in his rookie preseason. Landry's been in the league 5 years and literally all he's shown is the ability to barely beat the worst team in NFL history over the course of 2 seasons in his home stadium. Dobbs showed more ability in 1 preseason than Landry did in 5, and all the preseason games they won last year Dobbs finished all of them

Just curious, did you like Charlie Batch as a backup QB?

SteelMayhem72
04-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Dobbs will be gone, Jones knows the system very well. Dobbs will pursue his rocket scientist career. Dobbs was a reach anyway, imho what you saw in preseason will be all you get from him

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2018, 12:27 AM
Dobbs will be gone, Jones knows the system very well. Dobbs will pursue his rocket scientist career. Dobbs was a reach anyway, imho what you saw in preseason will be all you get from him

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I agree. I think there were still some TE prospects on the board when they reached for Dobbs as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Interesting fact on the Landry Jones hate, he actually has a better career completion percentage, QB rating and TD-INT ratio than Charlie Batch. So what is it that got Batch all the yinzer love, but gets Jones the hate of Steeler fans??

I think fans can hate all they want, but if the QB room is crowded, Josh Dobbs is gonna have to play like he has never played before to earn the roster spot.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Interesting fact on the Landry Jones hate, he actually has a better career completion percentage, QB rating and TD-INT ratio than Charlie Batch. So what is it that got Batch all the yinzer love, but gets Jones the hate of Steeler fans??

I think fans can hate all they want, but if the QB room is crowded, Josh Dobbs is gonna have to play like he has never played before to earn the roster spot.
I agree. I'm glad we have Landry Jones on the team and he's likely to be the #2 when the season opens. Fine with me. I just wish we could keep Dobbs too.

Dwinsgames
04-30-2018, 09:57 AM
990966343750049794itter.com/PeterDriesenga/statu

BlackAndGold
04-30-2018, 10:49 AM
990966343750049794itter.com/PeterDriesenga/statu

They also had a scouting report on Edmunds and gave the opinion that "Edmunds is going to become one of the top strong safeties in the league and a Pro Bowler." then gave the Steelers a bad grade reporting that they reached. I still have a heachache

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018terrelledmunds.php#ixzz5EAfUUAUH

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 11:09 AM
Best case for the Steelers QBs is the following (at least in my mind):

Ben R is Ben R and stays that way for several more seasons.

Mason Rudolph takes a ton of preseason snaps against the opposing 1's and 2's and shows reasonably well. Well enough that when Ben has to miss a game or two on the road to the playoffs, there is not the annual back-up QB runs a stone age offense and the Steelers try and win 10-7. Rudolph shows enough to run a scaled-down but robust version of the offense.

Dobbs is force-fed his own high number of snaps and shows progress from last year and promise towards the future. Looks like an athletic guy who can still throw a deep ball and is making progress on his short area accuracy. Starts to give one visions of Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor - if you squint a bit.

Landry soaks up some "showcase" snaps and they let him do whatever he feels most comfortable with. Then somewhere in the NFL a back-up QB's leg explodes. Colbert works the phones and magically a 6th round pick appears in place of Landry Jones.

Problem solved.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2018, 12:41 PM

I agree, I'm pretty sure the Steelers didn't pick Mason Rudolph because they thought Josh Dobbs was the answer.

steelreserve
04-30-2018, 12:54 PM

Because Batch was 6-3 as a starter and won a few important games? Despite obviously not being a top-tier QB or having great numbers, more often than not he somehow managed to win. Whereas Jones had basically one good game (one good half, really) and against decent opponents the game has not really been competitive. Literally two-thirds of his yardage and TDs have come against Cleveland in the last game of the season and that game against NE that wasn't very close. There is probably also a lot of disappointment because he was drafted to possibly DO something, but took 3 years of looking completely lost before he did ... not much.

I agree, unfortunately, that he is probably the default choice over Dobbs even though I don't like it and don't think that's what the #3 QB position is for.

Born2Steel
04-30-2018, 01:21 PM
I think time will tell but I think Dobbs keeps his spot and Jones is closer to getting the ax. Why have 2 of the same guy at the backup role? Dobbs at least brings a different dimension to the QB spot. Teams that can and will get after the QB will eat Rudolph and Jones in the pocket. Dobbs can at least escape pressure better. From a purely backup role I mean.

BlackAndGold
04-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Because Batch was 6-3 as a starter and won a few important games?

You think having an top tier defense helped with that?

steelreserve
04-30-2018, 02:18 PM
You think having an top tier defense helped with that?

Definitely. And the offense from 2015-18 was a hell of a lot better than the one in 2005, so you'd think that would favor Jones having much better numbers if he was any good.

Like I said, a lot of it is probably also that with Jones, you can't escape this aura of disappointment, but Batch was a guy who you never expected anything from in the first place and winning some games was a pleasant surprise.

For one, mediocrity was underachieving, for the other it was just enough to deliver some memorable moments.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Definitely. And the offense from 2015-18 was a hell of a lot better than the one in 2005, so you'd think that would favor Jones having much better numbers if he was any good.

Like I said, a lot of it is probably also that with Jones, you can't escape this aura of disappointment, but Batch was a guy who you never expected anything from in the first place and winning some games was a pleasant surprise.

For one, mediocrity was underachieving, for the other it was just enough to deliver some memorable moments.
"Aura of disappointment" with Jones??? He was drafted to be a backup in the prime of Ben's career. He's 3-2 as a fill-in starter. What were you expecting when they took him in the 4th round, supplant Ben?

steelreserve
04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
"Aura of disappointment" with Jones??? He was drafted to be a backup in the prime of Ben's career. He's 3-2 as a fill-in starter. What were you expecting when they took him in the 4th round, supplant Ben?

Not suck?

I mean, the dude had two narrow wins over the worst team in NFL history, plus one good (lucky?) half against Arizona, where 80% of his passing yards were to one guy and more than half were on one play. That's the sum total of his career accomplishments. You could expect the same from any random dingbat off the street.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Not suck?

I mean, the dude had two narrow wins over the worst team in NFL history, plus one good (lucky?) half against Arizona, where 80% of his passing yards were to one guy and more than half were on one play. That's the sum total of his career accomplishments. You could expect the same from any random dingbat off the street.
Lol. Yeah there’s lots of Kurt Warners stocking the shelves at Safeway. Further, Jones’s stats and W/L record don’t suck. He’s a backup and probably a top 12 backup in the league.

FrancoLambert
04-30-2018, 05:42 PM
If Ben goes down, Landry would be our best bet to win a game or two. Sad but true.

Expecting 2nd year Dobbs or rookie Rudolph to do the same is fantasy.

Dobbs is the odd man out IMO.

steelreserve
04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Lol. Yeah there’s lots of Kurt Warners stocking the shelves at Safeway. Further, Jones’s stats and W/L record don’t suck. He’s a backup and probably a top 12 backup in the league.

If he was in the top third of backups, other teams with shitty QBs would be interested in him to compete for a starting job. Either he would've gotten an offer last offseason, or we'd be getting trade offers for him now. Where are they all? A good backup moves in that direction, he doesn't sit there just still barely getting by as a backup.

How about this: Name one thing, even ONE, that Jones is above-average at. I sure can't think of any. There's no benefit to having someone like that on the team. Not unless you've got no one else, which is no longer the case.

- - - Updated - - -

If Ben goes down, Landry would be our best bet to win a game or two. Sad but true.

Why would it be fantasy to expect Rudolph to win a game for us? Just because?

Either you "get it" or you don't as an NFL quarterback, and that goes for rookies too. If he's got a future in this league, we'd have a fighting chance. If not, better to find that out sooner than later by farting around with Landry Jones for no reason.

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Yeah. Rookie QB's that start behind veterans on the depth chart have never been thrown into the fire because of injury and experienced success. Can't think of a single time that has happened. Not a one.

What's that you say, Rudolph is no where near the QB Roethlisberger is/was? OK. Granted.

But how much worse than Dak Prescott can Rudolph really be? What about Russell Wilson? What about Tawwmmy Braaaddy?

Not saying that Rudolph is even half as good as those guys, but to dismiss the idea of a rookie QB opening the season as the #2 and then unexpectedly performing well due to an injury to the veteran starter is a bit of an overstatement.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 06:55 PM
If he was in the top third of backups, other teams with shitty QBs would be interested in him to compete for a starting job.

You really miss the whole point. He is a BACKUP! He's not a starting QB. He wasn't drafted to be a starting QB. I didn't say he was a quality starter. He's a quality backup. There are maybe 5-6 second-string QBs in the league who can potentially be starters. Hopefully Rudolph ends up being that guy. Jones was drafted to take Batch's/Leftwich's place, not Ben's.

Shoes
04-30-2018, 07:27 PM
My gut feeling is Dobbs won't be in the NFL long. He has other interests in life and I don't think playing back up with any team is going to keep his aeronautical engineering mind in the hangar. For now though he's making easy money while planning his way out of the NFL.

steelreserve
04-30-2018, 08:38 PM
You really miss the whole point. He is a BACKUP! He's not a starting QB. He wasn't drafted to be a starting QB. I didn't say he was a quality starter. He's a quality backup. There are maybe 5-6 second-string QBs in the league who can potentially be starters. Hopefully Rudolph ends up being that guy. Jones was drafted to take Batch's/Leftwich's place, not Ben's.

And what is a backup? A guy who you hope can step in and perform as close as possible to the starter when needed. You don't draft them going "We need a crappy quarterback and let's not try to find one who's any good because he's the BACKUP."

He was drafted to take Leftwich/Batch's place, he didn't even do that very well.

Now we've got a guy who we drafted to be a starter, there's no reason to keep messing around with a career backup. See what the future starter can do, if there's time see if another longshot guy also has starter potential. It's time to be done fucking around with this shit.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-30-2018, 09:57 PM
It comes down to how good or bad Rudolph looks in the preseason. If Rudolph looks good and understands the offense then it's bye Landry. If Rudolph struggles and then it's bye Dobbs.

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 10:34 PM
It may have a bit to do with what Ben wants. He seems to like having Landry in the QB room.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 10:40 PM
And what is a backup? A guy who you hope can step in and perform as close as possible to the starter when needed. You don't draft them going "We need a crappy quarterback and let's not try to find one who's any good because he's the BACKUP."

He was drafted to take Leftwich/Batch's place, he didn't even do that very well.

Now we've got a guy who we drafted to be a starter, there's no reason to keep messing around with a career backup. See what the future starter can do, if there's time see if another longshot guy also has starter potential. It's time to be done fucking around with this shit.
So you wanted Batch as your starter? Why weren't other teams trading for him to be their starter? Your ideology is wonderful... it's just detached from reality. When you have a HOF QB in his prime, you don't draft a QB in the 4th round to fill his shoes. His job is to run the offense in a way that gives the team a chance to win. And he's done that: 3-2.

If the Steelers HC and GM shared your evaluation of Jones' play then he wouldn't be on the team.

steelreserve
05-01-2018, 02:27 AM
So you wanted Batch as your starter? Why weren't other teams trading for him to be their starter? Your ideology is wonderful... it's just detached from reality. When you have a HOF QB in his prime, you don't draft a QB in the 4th round to fill his shoes. His job is to run the offense in a way that gives the team a chance to win. And he's done that: 3-2.

If the Steelers HC and GM shared your evaluation of Jones' play then he wouldn't be on the team.

What in the hell are you talking about? You just draft the best guy you can with your pick, and Jones was not very good.

Ideally, your backup can start a game here and there without the whole offense going off a cliff. When that happens, other teams take notice and are interested in offering him a job, and therefore in offering you stuff for him in a trade. THAT'S a great backup situation. Jones neither has other teams offering us stuff for him, nor can he run the offense without it going off a cliff. He sucks.

Batch was a better backup than Jones, even though Batch himself was not all that good either. No, I don't want Batch as my starter, I don't know where you get that.

Anyway, no you don't draft to replace your HOF quarterback in his prime, but hopefully you draft a backup better than Jones. At this point we ARE drafting to replace Ben, so that guy had better be decent, and whatever point Jones had is no longer relevant.

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Was Mason Rudolph the Bills' backup plan at QB?

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 30, 2018

After drafting Mason Rudolph as Ben Roethlisberger's heir apparent, general manager Kevin Colbert revealed that the Steelers graded the Oklahoma State star on par with the best quarterbacks in this year's draft class.

They weren't alone in evaluating Rudolph as a worthwhile early-round gamble.

Appearing on Monday's edition of NFL Up to the Minute, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Bills would have "strongly considered" Rudolph at No. 22 overall had they not been successful in trading up for Wyoming's Josh Allen earlier in the first round.

"There were some teams -- not all teams, but some teams -- who rated him there," Rapoport added. "The Steelers really loved him."

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930614/article/was-mason-rudolph-the-bills-backup-plan-at-qb

DesertSteel
05-01-2018, 01:04 PM
What in the hell are you talking about? You just draft the best guy you can with your pick, and Jones was not very good. Tomlin and Colbert obviously thought he was the best backup QB available for the past few years. What are they talking about?

Ideally, your backup can start a game here and there without the whole offense going off a cliff. When that happens, other teams take notice and are interested in offering him a job, and therefore in offering you stuff for him in a trade. THAT'S a great backup situation. Jones neither has other teams offering us stuff for him, nor can he run the offense without it going off a cliff. He sucks.Winning record.

Batch was a better backup than Jones, even though Batch himself was not all that good either. No, I don't want Batch as my starter, I don't know where you get that.Based on your criteria for a backup Batch sucked too since no team was trying to trade for him to be a starter. Or does that apply only to Jones?

Anyway, no you don't draft to replace your HOF quarterback in his prime, but hopefully you draft a backup better than Jones. At this point we ARE drafting to replace Ben, so that guy had better be decent, and whatever point Jones had is no longer relevant.I hope Rudolph is that guy.

Further, I'd be happy if he picked things up and was the #2 and Dobbs the #3. But... there's a good chance that Jones will once more be the #2 when the season starts. That won't bother me either.

steelreserve
05-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Tomlin and Colbert obviously thought he was the best backup QB available for the past few years. What are they talking about?

I'd love to know. Perhaps something like "We wish this other guy (Gradkowski, Dobbs, etc.) had turned out to be better, but something didn't go according to plan, so unfortunately we're stuck with this bum ... AGAIN." Or maybe "Grrrr we spent a draft pick on this guy and spent so much time on him, he HAS to work out! No, we're not banging our heads against a wall. HAS to! He's the guy and that's final!" I mean, it's not like it would be the first time.

Winning record.

Meaningless games.

Losing record against any game that's not the last game of the season against a team that's a cumulative 1-31. And looked overmatched compiling that losing record, to boot.

Based on your criteria for a backup Batch sucked too since no team was trying to trade for him to be a starter. Or does that apply only to Jones?

No, just Jones. Batch was a mediocre backup and not good enough to generate interest from anyone else. By starting QB standards, he would suck. Jones sucked worse.

I hope Rudolph is that guy.

Further, I'd be happy if he picked things up and was the #2 and Dobbs the #3. But... there's a good chance that Jones will once more be the #2 when the season starts. That won't bother me either.

It would bother me. Jones is not the future, and there is no reason to have him as the "experienced safety net guy" at #2 because he is so bad that he's not a safety net. Time to sack up and get over whatever fear of the unknown has been keeping him on the team, and trust that we didn't blow this pick as bad as the Jones pick itself.

The one and only thing Jones can do to materially affect our chances of success is hog practice time and preseason reps to keep us from finding out whether the guy we just drafted can hack it or not. That's a negative thing. So, adios.

Shoes
05-01-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm very confident Mason will be the #2 this season. Besides his talent, he's on a mission. Watch out Ben! :chuckle:

DesertSteel
05-01-2018, 02:45 PM
I'd love to know. Perhaps something like "We wish this other guy (Gradkowski, Dobbs, etc.) had turned out to be better, but something didn't go according to plan, so unfortunately we're stuck with this bum ... AGAIN."
Yeah that's probably exactly what they said right before they extended his contract.

steelreserve
05-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Yeah that's probably exactly what they said right before they extended his contract.

That was probably more like

Tomlin: "Holy shit Kevin, you smoked ALL the shake?"

Colbert: "I PAID for it, Mike."

Tomlin: "Got any crack?"

Colbert: "I've been smoking all day off that huge pile of rocks over there, help yourself."

Tomlin: (takes several insane hits from the crack pipe) "Wooooooooo! *coughcoughcough* That's some shit! *coughcoughcough* Man! (cracks up laughing) ... Now let's talk about contract extensions."

cubanstogie
05-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Keeping Landry would be the safer bet, but I would hope after training camp and pre season Rudolph could do as well as Landry. He has been a serviceable backup but if Ben goes down Steelers arent going anywhere in playoffs even if they got there with Jones. I would rather see Rudolph or Dobbs get the snaps for experience. But thats from a fans perspective who wants to get rid of Jones, not coaches who see much more from these guys and know what their capabilities are. I don't want to even see Landry in preseason at all. Now if Dobbs hasn't improved at all from last preseason, then get rid of him. Landry is Landry, no use watching him in preseason, we know exactly what he brings. In all honesty its almost irrelevant, Rudolph is Bens replacement so its basically who we want to be inactive all year, Landry or Dobbs.

Dwinsgames
05-02-2018, 04:45 PM

seems many thought the same thing Bens rookie year .....

but the results say otherwise

now I am not saying Rudolph is Ben or will have a Ben like career , but I am saying until they take the field no player is a lock or a bust

BlackAndGold
05-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Training camp...

https://media2.giphy.com/media/JzOyy8vKMCwvK/200.gif

Cyphon25
05-02-2018, 05:59 PM
The more I have thought on it the more I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Landry is the backup and you don't just dump a back up who has won NFL games and possibly knows your system even better than the starter. Oddly enough the one thing that might save Dobbs is Rudolph doing well. If he pulled off a performance enough to earn top backup the Steelers might cut Jones and go with the potential of Dobbs.

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2018, 09:24 PM
The more I have thought on it the more I think Dobbs is the odd man out. Landry is the backup and you don't just dump a back up who has won NFL games and possibly knows your system even better than the starter.

if only Ben studied more film...

Cyphon25
05-02-2018, 09:47 PM
if only Ben studied more film...

I don't mean it as a knock on Ben. He takes snaps and does other things while Landry can sit around just studying and digesting everything all of the time. Would make sense for Jones to know as much or more from a purely academic standpoint.

teegre
05-03-2018, 06:18 AM
I don't mean it as a knock on Ben. He takes snaps and does other things while Landry can sit around just studying and digesting everything all of the time. Would make sense for Jones to know as much or more from a purely academic standpoint.

It’s a tongue-in-cheek reference to Manny Sanders’ comments about why Peyton Manning was a better QB...

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Josh Dobbs could make the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad

Josh Dobbs might find himself on the practice squad next season

by Sam Quinn

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Josh-Dobbs-could-make-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-practice-squad-117939813

BlackAndGold
05-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Josh Dobbs could make the Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad

Josh Dobbs might find himself on the practice squad next season

by Sam Quinn

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Josh-Dobbs-could-make-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-practice-squad-117939813

If he shows anything the Pats will pick him up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2018, 07:21 AM
If he shows anything the Pats will pick him up.

Just like the Cardinals did with Brian St. Pierre?

IMO Brian St. Pierre was a better passer than Josh Dobbs coming out of college. I honestly don't see Dobbs amounting to anything more than BSP. Who, by the way, had something like a 7 year NFL career. I never understood the drafting of Dobbs, when there were players at the TE position still on the board.

BlackAndGold
05-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Just like the Cardinals did with Brian St. Pierre?

IMO Brian St. Pierre was a better passer than Josh Dobbs coming out of college. I honestly don't see Dobbs amounting to anything more than BSP. Who, by the way, had something like a 7 year NFL career. I never understood the drafting of Dobbs, when there were players at the TE position still on the board.

The Steelers QB room needed some youth but yeah I agree going back. I was a fan of taking George Kittle in round 4. (Ben not being committed long term didn't help)

Dobbs was no doubt a project. He has good size, athleticism, solid arm strength but his accuracy was all over the place, it will be interesting to see if he has taken a step in training camp.

Mojouw
05-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Dobbs was taken for a variety of reasons. Primary was Ben's increased musings and mumblings on retirement. Another is Landry Jones is what he is and it isn't all that great. Specifically for Dobbs, he is the bargain bin version of a style of QB that is experiencing success in the NFL. Has the mobility to make-up for busted plays or to escape from pressure. Demonstrated that in the preseason last year, ran to try and find another spot to set-up and pass -- didn't just take off. He can throw deep, something the Steelers clearly value (Ben, Landry (Hey, I'm just repeating what people said when he came out), Dobbs, and now Rudolph).

I mean for a team that looks at Watson and Jackson and says "Yup. That is a style of QB play I can get behind." Then Dobbs is what you end up with when you only spend fourth round resources.

Rudolph is the other end of the style spectrum. I can move just enough to not get killed and I can throw deep.

Both need development and work on their games. but both seem to have a higher current ceiling than Jones.

Extremely interested to see how aggressive the Steelers get with the back-ups. Me, I go with Rudolph and Dobbs. They could still get better. Jones is as developed as he will ever be.

pczach
05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Dobbs was taken for a variety of reasons. Primary was Ben's increased musings and mumblings on retirement. Another is Landry Jones is what he is and it isn't all that great. Specifically for Dobbs, he is the bargain bin version of a style of QB that is experiencing success in the NFL. Has the mobility to make-up for busted plays or to escape from pressure. Demonstrated that in the preseason last year, ran to try and find another spot to set-up and pass -- didn't just take off. He can throw deep, something the Steelers clearly value (Ben, Landry (Hey, I'm just repeating what people said when he came out), Dobbs, and now Rudolph).

I mean for a team that looks at Watson and Jackson and says "Yup. That is a style of QB play I can get behind." Then Dobbs is what you end up with when you only spend fourth round resources.

Rudolph is the other end of the style spectrum. I can move just enough to not get killed and I can throw deep.

Both need development and work on their games. but both seem to have a higher current ceiling than Jones.

Extremely interested to see how aggressive the Steelers get with the back-ups. Me, I go with Rudolph and Dobbs. They could still get better. Jones is as developed as he will ever be.

Good post.

I agree about going with Dobbs and Rudolph as backups. I know many are going to say that Jones gives them the best chance to win if Ben goes down, but I don't necessarily agree with that. If they could trade Jones and Save his salary, and use that money to pick up a quality free agent at a position of need....it's a no-brainer to me. Besides, if Ben goes down for the season, there's no chance they go anywhere without Ben anyway. We know that Jones isn't the answer.

Let's move on with fresh blood,young arms, and young and hungry atitudes going forward.

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Good post.

I agree about going with Dobbs and Rudolph as backups. I know many are going to say that Jones gives them the best chance to win if Ben goes down, but I don't necessarily agree with that. If they could trade Jones and Save his salary, and use that money to pick up a quality free agent at a position of need....it's a no-brainer to me. Besides, if Ben goes down for the season, there's no chance they go anywhere without Ben anyway. We know that Jones isn't the answer.

Let's move on with fresh blood,young arms, and young and hungry atitudes going forward.
Be careful what you ask for, if Ben goes down 4 games with an injury. Jones can take them to 2-2 and save the season. Those guys... maybe 0-4. Oh that's right Jones SUCKS! is what most on here will gladly offer up.

Dwinsgames
05-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Be careful what you ask for, if Ben goes down 4 games with an injury. Jones can take them to 2-2 and save the season. Those guys... maybe 0-4. Oh that's right Jones SUCKS! is what most on here will gladly offer up.

what did Ben do his rookie year with far less talent around him ?

who is to say Rudolph cant do the same ?

DesertSteel
05-04-2018, 05:47 PM
what did Ben do his rookie year with far less talent around him ?

who is to say Rudolph cant do the same ?
Maybe he does, but it's a roll of the dice. TBH, it wouldn't bother me if Rudolph beat him out. I seem to recall Romo getting Dakked after he went down with an injury. I still think Dobbs is the odd man out.

Dwinsgames
05-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Maybe he does, but it's a roll of the dice. TBH, it wouldn't bother me if Rudolph beat him out. I seem to recall Romo getting Dakked after he went down with an injury. I still think Dobbs is the odd man out.

its always a roll of the dice

pczach
05-04-2018, 09:31 PM

There is nothing that is guaranteed. Who's to say that Rudolph or Dobbs can't take them further than Jones.

Part of the reason I am hoping Jones is the guy to go is because of the possible cap savings and the potential to trade him to get a draft pick. Then if the young quarterbacks can step up, the team has gotten stronger, they potentially pick up an additional draft pick for next season, and they possibly clear enough cap space to add a quality free agent to make a run at championships for several years.

This isn't personal. The best thing that can happen is for one or both young quarterbacks to be able to play well and see the team get stronger, deeper, and younger.

hawaiiansteeler
05-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Joshua Dobbs: ‘I Plan On Being’ In Camp ‘And Plan To Compete’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 4, 2018

The Pittsburgh Steelers know that they have one too many quarterbacks in the room. I don’t know that they have much of a plan for how it will play out for the number two and number three positions on the roster. Presumably, there are only three things that they know for sure.

One is that Ben Roethlisberger will be their starting quarterback this year. Two is that Mason Rudolph will definitely be on the roster. And three is that there will be three quarterbacks on the roster. No more, no less.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/joshua-dobbs-i-plan-on-being-in-camp-and-plan-to-compete/