PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Outlook in 2018?

Edman
04-28-2018, 07:32 PM
So after a regressed defense from 2016 spelled doom in 2017, the Steelers appear to be banking on the same thing this year. Outscoring a lot of teams in shootouts. Or so we think...

Were the Defensive issues of last year talent-based or was it other things? According to the moves they made, the Steelers say other things, as they didn't pay much attention to addressing Defense this offseason. One FA signing, and one first round draft pick. Will the Defense go up or just get worse next year?

Dwinsgames
04-28-2018, 08:03 PM
So after a regressed defense from 2016 spelled doom in 2017, the Steelers appear to be banking on the same thing this year. Outscoring a lot of teams in shootouts. Or so we think...

Were the Defensive issues of last year talent-based or was it other things? According to the moves they made, the Steelers say other things, as they didn't pay much attention to addressing Defense this offseason. One FA signing, and one first round draft pick. Will the Defense go up or just get worse next year?

I count 2 safeties in FA and 1 linebacker .....

Born2Steel
04-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Looks like the same guys in the LB room. The DB's room has the same CBs as last year, but the safeties look completely different other than Davis. People are saying this means Wilcox is gone but if a couple safeties are moving to ILB hybrid roles, Wilcox may still have a spot.

CBs: Burns, Haden, Hilton, Sutton, Sensabaugh, and B. Allen
Safeties: Burnett, Davis, Wilcox, Berhe, Edmunds, and M. Allen
There are some guys that were on PS last season that will be at camp also but I think I listed all of the main guys to watch.

OLBs: Watt, Dupree, Chickillo, and Adams
ILBs: VW, Bostic, Matakevich, and Fort
Same as the DB room with PS guys.

DL: Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, McCullers, and Frazier
Don't see how any PS guys are going to break into this room this preseason, but go for it.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 11:14 PM
Looks like the same guys in the LB room. The DB's room has the same CBs as last year, but the safeties look completely different other than Davis. People are saying this means Wilcox is gone but if a couple safeties are moving to ILB hybrid roles, Wilcox may still have a spot.

Safeties: Burnett, Davis, Wilcox, Berhe, Edmunds, and M. Allen

you forgot Dangerfield

https://media1.tenor.com/images/864e623d468ddbcd0cd4999c67de4165/tenor.gif?itemid=4892740

Cyphon25
04-28-2018, 11:19 PM
I probably shouldn't feel all that positive but a part of me is when I break it down. Lets look at the starters.

Tuitt - Suffered an injury last season that really seemed to set him back and he never quite played up to his level. He should have a better season barring injury.
Hargrave - Should expect even play from him which has been solid but nothing spectacular.
Heyward - Coming off a career year and I love me some Heyward but I don't imagine we will get a repeat performace. I am thinking a slight regression although that still leaves us with a good performance.
Watt - Could see a sophomore slump but I am betting the other way. He was a pro before he was a pro because his brothers taught him. Shouldn't run into the slump.
Bostic - A major upgrade over Sean Spence and a tackling upgrade over Shazier. For everything Shazier does he was a missed tackle monster. Bostic isn't better than Shazier but he offers improvement in an important area.
Williams - I don't see him matching his sack total but I think he will give us a good season. Good, not great and about equal with last year.
Dupree - So much of me wants to believe the best for him because injuries have been a problem but injuries don't prevent you from developing any pass rush moves and he hasn't. Kind of expecting the same on thing from him. False hope and an average season.
Burns - Not sold Burns is ever going to be that guy and I think there is an outside shot Sutton could take his spot or at least eat into his snaps. Par for the course with him.
Davis- Ditto Burns although if we see a move to FS that could change things somewhat significantly in either direction.
Burnett - Should be a big upgrade over Mitchell. Expecting good things from him
Haden - Our best corner and if he can stay healthy should have his best season in years.

So whats the point of this breakdown? Well if you look most of what I am projecting is either par for the course or better. Which means even without a single new addition in the draft we should be an improved defense. Now factor in Edmunds and Allen potential and maybe there is something there.

st33lersguy
04-29-2018, 12:04 AM
defense doesn't look promising in 2018. Defensive coaches whose performances warranted the pink slip are back. Also the lack of linebacker upgrades is unsettling. Jon Bostic is a good depth player and is a step in the right direction in conjunction with other players, but he shouldn't be the only upgrade you make at the position. Who do you play if Vince Williams goes down or if TJ Watt goes down? I don't see how this defense is noticeably better than the defense that got torched by Blake f-ing Bortles last year or the one that got torched by Tom Brady in the AFC championship game the year before

EzraTank
04-29-2018, 08:55 AM
We will get no pass rush again and we could have 5 Deion Sanders back there. Guys can't cover forever no matter how good they are with no pressure. I mean Blake Bortles looked like Joe Montana because of this problem.

With Shazier still gone where will we get pressure from?

Edman
04-29-2018, 09:01 AM
defense doesn't look promising in 2018. Defensive coaches whose performances warranted the pink slip are back. Also the lack of linebacker upgrades is unsettling. Jon Bostic is a good depth player and is a step in the right direction in conjunction with other players, but he shouldn't be the only upgrade you make at the position. Who do you play if Vince Williams goes down or if TJ Watt goes down? I don't see how this defense is noticeably better than the defense that got torched by Blake f-ing Bortles last year or the one that got torched by Tom Brady in the AFC championship game the year before

I'd take the Defense that got torched by Brady. At least he's the best to have ever played the game, plus he has always tormented the Steelers.

Last year's Defense was shredded by Joe Flacco, Brett Hundley, and the 0-16 Browns. They had problems that were noticable. You can't be too shocked they lost to Blake Bortles.