PDA

View Full Version : Drafted at 92nd, Okorafor becomes third WMU offensive lineman drafted in three years.

stillers4me
04-28-2018, 06:56 AM
The first MAC prospect is finally off the board, and he is heading east to the rivers and bridges of the Steel City.

Western Michigan offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor heard the announcement of a lifetime Friday night when former Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks declared his selection in the third round at AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

The former First Team All-American (Phil Steele, FWAA) was the ninth offensive tackle selected in the 2018 Draft when the Pittsburgh Steelers took him off the board with the 92nd overall pick. Okorafor was the fourth Steelers pick this draft

This marks the third consecutive year where a Western Michigan offensive lineman has been drafted in the first four rounds. In 2016, the Vikings chose Willie Beavers (currently with the Seahawks) in the fourth round (121st) and in 2017, Taylor Moton was selected as the 64th pick by the Panthers in the second round. Okorafor, a First Team All-MAC selection in 2016 and 2017, is the next Bronco to pursue NFL glory.

Okorafor stands at 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds — an ideal build for an NFL tackle. As a sophomore, Okorafor lined up as a right tackle before shifting to the left side for his final two years in Kalamazoo. Not only has he played all over the line, but he’s been all over the globe. He was born in Nigeria and also claimed residence in South Africa and Botswana at a young age before moving to Southfield, MI. He held offers from Oklahoma, Florida, Nebraska, Arkansas, and Iowa but elected to play close to home..........

read more @ https://www.hustlebelt.com/2018/4/27/17294128/chukwuma-okorafor-drafted-by-the-pittsburgh-steelers

Six Rings
04-28-2018, 07:34 AM
They say he's soft and his combine numbers were on the low side

ThorndikeFFA
04-28-2018, 09:01 AM
He's soft...but he hasn't met Mike Munchak yet.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 09:08 AM
probably viewed as a project that can become a future solid LT when #78 contract is done. Or if he cant handle the LT spot, move to Right side when Gilbert contract done. But I have a hard time seeing a guy that is viewed more as nice but not nasty as a RT. I just hope this isn't an indication that Hawkins doesn't look like he is working out, as it should be his time this season to become the swing OT.

Born2Steel
04-28-2018, 03:12 PM
I understand the pick at OL. However, we currently have AV, Gilbert, Hawkins, and Feiler at OT. We have Foster, Decastro, Pouncey, and Finney at OG/OC. Check my math please, but to me that is 4 guys for 2 positions(now 5 guys) vs 4 guys for 3 positions. Hold on there's more...Foster, Pouncey, and Decastro could all be retiring in 1-2 years, and Finney's contract is up after 2018 as well. Is Okorafor going to play OG for us? Because that's where we need him most. IMO, anyway.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I understand the pick at OL. However, we currently have AV, Gilbert, Hawkins, and Feiler at OT. We have Foster, Decastro, Pouncey, and Finney at OG/OC. Check my math please, but to me that is 4 guys for 2 positions(now 5 guys) vs 4 guys for 3 positions. Hold on there's more...Foster, Pouncey, and Decastro could all be retiring in 1-2 years, and Finney's contract is up after 2018 as well. Is Okorafor going to play OG for us? Because that's where we need him most. IMO, anyway.

imo Hawkins and Feiler have yet to show anything that makes me think they can be a starting OT in the NFL...

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Hawkins is the O's version of McCullers.

Born2Steel
04-28-2018, 03:56 PM
So you guys think that because Hawkins hasn't shown anything OT is the bigger need? My point was that I think OG is a much bigger need. I like taking a OL here, just confused as to the position. But if it is to replace Hawkins then I guess that makes more sense now.

Losing Hubbard hurt a lot. More than most think because he played every spot on the OL except C, and played well. Can Okorafor do that? I guess that is the real question for a 3rd round pick.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 05:12 PM
So you guys think that because Hawkins hasn't shown anything OT is the bigger need? My point was that I think OG is a much bigger need. I like taking a OL here, just confused as to the position. But if it is to replace Hawkins then I guess that makes more sense now.

I think the drop off from our starting OTs to Hawkins is way bigger than from our starting OGs to B.J. Finney...

Born2Steel
04-28-2018, 06:36 PM
I think the drop off from our starting OTs to Hawkins is way bigger than from our starting OGs to B.J. Finney...

Maybe. Not even going to debate that point since it has little to do with the original. Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, and Finney COULD ALL be gone as soon as next season. Foster and Finney are in their final year of contract. Pouncey says he's retiring when Ben does. Decastro is right up there in age with the rest. So the dropoff is not the concern or the point of my post. We are having 2 different conversations.

:hatsoff:

Shoes
04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Munch

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Munchak-on-Okorafor/6812ba3a-856d-43f9-9dbe-2ea78e7fbe7c

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 07:16 PM
Maybe. Not even going to debate that point since it has little to do with the original. Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, and Finney COULD ALL be gone as soon as next season. Foster and Finney are in their final year of contract. Pouncey says he's retiring when Ben does. Decastro is right up there in age with the rest. So the dropoff is not the concern or the point of my post. We are having 2 different conversations.

:hatsoff:

the Steelers will most likely let Foster go but try very hard to re-sign Finney and draft an interior OL early in next year's draft or sign a veteran FA...