PDA

View Full Version : Summary Thoughts on the opening 3 rounds

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 12:35 AM
I actually like all 3 players. But I don’t get the draft from a roster construction point of view.

Not sure where Edmunds fits long term if he isn’t going to operate as an undersized LBer. Only other way I see it working is if the team is “out” on Sean Davis long term. Overall, Edmunds is an odd duplication of skills from an initial point of view. Opinion subject to change once the team starts playing some ball.

Washington - an obvious pick in hindsight. I mean what can you really say? Team likes to go deep and they got potentially the best deep threat in the draft. Pretty straight line conclusion here.

Rudolph - ohhhhh boy. They better be right. IF they are, we all do cartwheels down the road. If they aren’t, then at least it was late enough in the draft that no one will get fired. But what about Dobbs? What about Landry? Rudolph as the short term back-up, Jones gets cut and Dobbs is a career back-up? I have a hard time believing they are out on Dobbs after one uneven preseason. But clearly the Steelers have a prioritized skill for QB evaluation - deep ball ability. Despite what they have or have not shown in the NFL, Jones, Dobbs, and Rudolph are all purported to have it. Still, not sure I see the plan here?

The OT, not even gonna look up how to type his name. I mean this is the team that brought you AV and Beachum. I’m gonna trust them on a LT with all the raw skills and none of the polish. Scares me that reports indicate he doesn’t have the nasty needed. Big Dan anyone? Does this push Fieler off the roster? Because this kid has enough size and good enough feet that he wont make the practice squad. And that is the thing that I don’t get. He has to be carried on the 53 and he has no real role. Unless Hawkins goes by the board and then, like Dobbs, he becomes a terrible pick.

Long story short this draft makes the most sense to me if the Steelers plan on Davis, Dobbs, and Hawkins all being off the 53 man roster in 1-2 years. That seems more than a bit odd.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 12:38 AM
does anyone really believe Landry Jones or Dobbs are the long term answer at QB after Ben retires?

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 01:06 AM
From what I've read on social media. The summary is that Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have no idea what they're doing!!!!.

I'm so thankful I don't use twitter, people bother me.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 01:12 AM
From what I've read on social media. The summary is that Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin have no idea what they're doing!!!!.

I'm so thankful I don't use twitter, people bother me.

Fire Colbert and Tomlin!

Six Rings
04-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Fire Colbert and Tomlin!

I think Colbert is a hall of fame type of GM. Sure he misses at times, but he's very good. As for Tomlin, I'd be happier if he coached the regular season only. Tomlin's playoff record has been very poor lately. The Steelers only won 3 of the last 9 playoff games with Tomlin as the head coach. A shocker. Some might say once the old Bill Cowher players retired or became past their prime ( Except for Ben ), the team just stopped winning like they used to in the playoffs. I looked it up, Cowher was 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs.

Once Ben retires, we'll see how good Tomlin really is. Ben's the rising tide that lifts all boats.

teegre
04-28-2018, 08:05 AM
I think Colbert is a hall of fame type of GM. Sure he misses at times, but he's very good. As for Tomlin, I'd be happier if he coached the regular season only. Tomlin's playoff record has been very poor lately. The Steelers only won 3 of the last 9 playoff games with Tomlin as the head coach. A shocker. Some might say once the old Bill Cowher players retired or became past their prime ( Except for Ben ), the team just stopped winning like they used to in the playoffs. I looked it up, Cowher was 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs.

Once Ben retires, we'll see how good Tomlin really is. Ben's the rising tide that lifts all boats.

2010: lost to the SuperBowl champions
2011: Tebow “miracle” game
2014: lost to rival Ravens
2015: lost to the SuperBowl champions
2016: lost to the SuperBowl champions
2017: lost to Jags (they play us well)

They lost to the SuperBowl champions three times. They lost a matchup against the Ravens, which is always a coin toss. They lost to the Jaguars, who have always been a nightmare for us. And, Tebow completed 6 miracle throws (that he never completed beforehand nor afterwards).

While any 6 losses suck, it’s not nearly as bad as the “stats” make it sound.