PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select QB Mason Rudolph in the 3rd round of the 2018 draft

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 09:07 PM

teegre
04-27-2018, 09:11 PM
At 28, NO
At 60, no thank you.
At 79, why not.

I wanted Lauletta, but as Born2Steel posted elsewhere, Rudolph was the only QB (in this draft) to check all seven boxes.

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Lauletta was the better prospect. Someone compared him to Flacco in the draft thread and honestly, that may be his ceiling

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 09:13 PM

Neversatisfied
04-27-2018, 09:47 PM
It's like Christmas in April!!!

86WARD
04-27-2018, 09:54 PM
So Ben says he wants to play 3 more years and Rudolph is on a 4-year deal...gonna be hard to evaluate him and then offer him a fair contract that doesn’t screw him over or the team.

j-d-s
04-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Let's get rid of Landry Jones NOW.

Shoes
04-27-2018, 09:55 PM
I like the pick.

teegre
04-27-2018, 09:57 PM
So Ben says he wants to play 3 more years and Rudolph is on a 4-year deal...gonna be hard to evaluate him and then offer him a fair contract that doesn’t screw him over or the team.

If we win a Lombardi, Ben retires.

The “three more seasons” stuff was to get the media off of his back.

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Maybe he shines in the preseason and the Steelers can Garappolo him?

Shoes
04-27-2018, 10:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929640/article/mason-rudolph-drafted-no-76-overall-by-steelers

fansince'76
04-27-2018, 10:41 PM

:iagree:

And even if we don't I don't think he has 3 more years in him anyway.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 10:46 PM
https://pistolsfiringblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/rudycolbert-810x541.jpg

Lady Steel
04-28-2018, 12:06 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929640/article/mason-rudolph-drafted-no-76-overall-by-steelers

"It's not Ben's job to teach me anything. It's my job to learn," Rudolph said after being selected. "I'm going to work my butt off."

Although I don't think Ben would be a dick, that's exactly right, and he better work his butt off because I hate Landry Jones. :lol:

IowaSteeler927
04-28-2018, 01:54 AM
I like Rudolph, hope he turns out to be the future beyond Ben. Have my worries though.

Pros:
* Great arm. Best deep ball thrower in college football.
*Prototypical size at 6'4" and 235lbs.
*Hard to bring down.
*Smart with the football, has a gunslinger mentality but doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
*Accurate and productive. Completion percentage improved from 60-65% over the course of his college career.
*Improved every season.

Cons:
*Played in the Big 12 against simplistic Big 12 defenses.
*Played in a spread offensive system.
*Played pretty well exclusively out of the shotgun.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 01:59 AM

tube517
04-28-2018, 05:13 AM
https://pistolsfiringblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/rudycolbert-810x541.jpg

Colbert is in love. :chuckle:

stillers4me
04-28-2018, 07:22 AM
This right here...........I love the attitude. Can you really imagine ANY of the QB's taken ahead of him in a Steelers uniform or having this perspective?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Texasteel
04-28-2018, 07:34 AM
:iagree:

And even if we don't I don't think he has 3 more years in him anyway.

This is what I am thinking bud. Wanting to play and being able to are two different things.

All kidding aside I'll seen some pretty nice play out of Rudolph this year. He has some good points, and some bad. Now it's time for the team to build us an NFL QB.

To Rudolph, our next Hall Of Fame QB. Work started yesterday bud.

Six Rings
04-28-2018, 07:36 AM

Dobbs will be cut, but I'm okay with Landry Jones being traded :)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 09:01 AM
Dobbs will be cut, but I'm okay with Landry Jones being traded :)

Yeah, I think you are right. Jones is the only guy with any real NFL experience on the roster. Dobbs will have to show a lot of improvement to not get cut.

As for the Rudolph pick, I have to like it now as he is a Steeler and I think its worth it in round 3. I hope he has a good 3 years behind Ben to work on mechanics and footwork and get some preseason reps. He throws a good deep ball when he gets to the top of his drop and throws it. The part I didn't like of his tape was that he didn't move his feet when going from option to option and wasn't squaring up to make his throws. He has size and NFL arm strength and the interviews he had on NFLn show some good attitude. Might turn out to be a good enough passer in 2-3 years.

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Who goes? I hate to give up on Dobbs so soon. Everyone hates Jones but he's an experienced backup. Are they willing to have zero experience behind Ben? Further, Dobbs would probably get snatched if placed on the practice squad.

cubanstogie
04-28-2018, 09:26 AM
If you gave me the option of Rudolph or Mayfield right now I would take Rudolph. Same with Jackson. Steelers drafted the best QB in our division. Its always a crap shoot drafting QB's we know that. A solid gamble on a guy with strong arm and size of Big Ben. I love his attitude as well. Cant stand Rosen and really hope he is a bust. Ben was talking retirement last year and now says 3 years. Even if he makes it 3 years , he will not play in 48 games.

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 09:38 AM
So far, Rudolph is the pick I like the most in this draft.

pczach
04-28-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm on record saying I didn't want Rudolph with the #28 pick.

With the #76 pick, that's a whole other ballgame. If you can get an eventual starting QB in the 3rd round, you've really done something.

What I like about him:

He's a mature kid.
He can make all the throws and throws a beautiful deep ball.
Stays high in the pocket and sees the field well.
Is able to throw with touch, and takes something off of short throws to open receivers to make the ball more catchable.(Very underrated skill)
Can make anticipation throws. He is able to release the ball before receivers come out of breaks.
He doesn't make many mistakes. Really limits throwing the ball to the wrong player or spot based on the defense.
Very good character and work ethic.
Is a good leader, and is very coachable.

Things I don't like or things to worry about:

He needs to work on better movement with his feet in the pocket to be able to throw with more force.
Stepping into more throws. This will be more important in cold weather and wind.
Needs to learn a pro-style offense and be able to diagnose the more complex defenses he will be facing.
He doesn't have the strongest arm. That's why he really needs to learn to drive more of his throws at the NFL level.
Ball security needs to be improved a bit.

Overall, there is a lot to like about him, but the arm strength can be a concern is he doesn't learn to drive the ball on more of his throws. He tends to be an arm-thrower, and because his arm strength isn't the best, it could be a problem at the NFL level. The windows are tighter, and throwing outside the numbers with tight coverage will be an issue for him if he doesn't learn to maximize his arm.

I'm hoping the coaches can get him to maximize his skills. If he does that, he has a chance to be a good quarterback. I really like the kid on a personal level. There are a lot of things about him to like. Only time will tell us what he is capable of and how much he can still improve.

GBMelBlount
04-28-2018, 09:47 AM
A top five value pick for day 2 of the draft?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929716/article/2018-nfl-draft-josh-jackson-heads-day-2s-best-value-picks

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 09:47 AM
I was out on Rudolph as well. My biggest concern is that he deals with pressure like crap and his entire game falls apart when he has to move his feet. That does not sound like a successful NFL QB - at all.

But I was mostly against him and Mayfield when we were talking about a 1st round pick. 2 rounds later? Sure, why not.

Just hope they keep him and Dobbs. Landry Jones is what Landry Jones is gonna be. Dobbs and Rudolph can still develop into more than anyone thought, or at least that is the hope.

Neversatisfied
04-28-2018, 09:48 AM
So far, Rudolph is the pick I like the most in this draft.

Absolutely! Rudolph was mocked in the 1st round to the Steelers a couple of times. This was a need that was addressed, I would like to think he is a steal at 76.

RunNGun
04-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Not a fan of the pick. It's obviously saying they missed on Dobbs, so they either wasted that pick, or wasted this one. It's not so much that I'm not a fan of Rudolph, more so the pick. I was really hoping it would be an all in draft this year. There's more pressing needs to win a Lombardi right now.

Dwinsgames
04-28-2018, 10:17 AM
I will go on record and say I really like this selection for the future , I think this kid has a chance to be something pretty special , no he is not a lock to become the heir apparent but he has a pretty good chance of it ..

when a player of his ability falls to you at such an important position YOU TAKE HIM ... and we did

Yes Ben said 3 more years and many take him at his word on that , however things change , circumstances change , health changes , tools start to diminish at his age for many QBs those are all factors to consider ...... If we Hoist a Lombardi Ben easily could walk off into the sunset Like Bettis did ....

do we need an ILB more than a backup QB , yes we do in the short term but this pick has as much to do with sustaining our long term viability as to not have a 20+ year drought at QB as it does anything and for that reason I applaud the selection

Bostic improved us vs the run at ILB and I hope that Edmunds improves us vs the pass in the short to intermediate area with Burnett upgrading Mitchell ....

its not the end of the world building a roster is much like putting a puzzle together , its all about having the right pieces at your disposal

- - - Updated - - -

Not a fan of the pick. It's obviously saying they missed on Dobbs, so they either wasted that pick, or wasted this one. It's not so much that I'm not a fan of Rudolph, more so the pick. I was really hoping it would be an all in draft this year. There's more pressing needs to win a Lombardi right now.

all in to win the Lombardi in 2018 and Ben hangs em up then what .....

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 10:31 AM
So help me out with this. What does anyone think of the career back-up position now at QB?

Currently being filled by Landry Jones. After last draft Dobbs was the "developmental" QB that had upside.

What if Dobbs is now the career #2 caddy type of QB and Rudolph is the "developmental/starter in waiting" type and Jones is bagging groceries?

I'm starting to think that after you take all 4 to camp and put Ben in shrink wrap, you walk out with the best 2 behind Ben...or maybe just the youngest 2?

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2018, 10:52 AM
I was out on Rudolph as well. My biggest concern is that he deals with pressure like crap and his entire game falls apart when he has to move his feet. That does not sound like a successful NFL QB - at all.

But I was mostly against him and Mayfield when we were talking about a 1st round pick. 2 rounds later? Sure, why not.

Just hope they keep him and Dobbs. Landry Jones is what Landry Jones is gonna be. Dobbs and Rudolph can still develop into more than anyone thought, or at least that is the hope.

ive been much more focused on mma the past few years with all of these dumb new rules in football, but heres a few things that may or may not hold some merit: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929716/article/2018-nfl-draft-josh-jackson-heads-day-2s-best-value-picks

2nd best passer rating on 3rd down (112.2)
2nd best passer rating while under pressure (only Baker Mayfield had him beat there)

These are both relative to all the QB's in the draft apparently

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Who goes? I hate to give up on Dobbs so soon. Everyone hates Jones but he's an experienced backup. Are they willing to have zero experience behind Ben? Further, Dobbs would probably get snatched if placed on the practice squad.

I agree, Jones is an experienced backup and if Ben gets dinged for say 3 games, I am not sure that they are willing to have zero experience behind him.

Dobbs is the current fan favorite, just because they like the underdog. IMO, he is just another version of Seneca Wallace, an athletic QB that is still more of a QB than a runner, but will never really amount to being a quality NFL QB. One could say that Wallace was a more accomplished passer than Dobbs coming out of college. For all the hate that Landry Jones gets, he stands in the pocket under pressure and makes some good throws, but his 1:1 TD:INT ratio drags on an otherwise decent 86.2 career passer rating.

More than likely, the 3QB's on the roster in Sept will be Ben, Jones, Rudolph.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 10:59 AM
ive been much more focused on mma the past few years with all of these dumb new rules in football, but heres a few things that may or may not hold some merit: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929716/article/2018-nfl-draft-josh-jackson-heads-day-2s-best-value-picks

2nd best passer rating on 3rd down (112.2)
2nd best passer rating while under pressure (only Baker Mayfield had him beat there)

These are both relative to all the QB's in the draft apparently

Hmmmmm....raw #s are always a way to sway my opinion.

Wonder why so many scouting reports talk about trouble with pressure? Maybe cut and paste nonsense?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Hmmmmm....raw #s are always a way to sway my opinion.

Wonder why so many scouting reports talk about trouble with pressure? Maybe cut and paste nonsense?

Or maybe they watch film of him playing and not just statistics?

Its like everybody that keeps harping on Josh Allen's completion percentage, but I have read comments and heard pundits like Mike Mayock, Jordan Palmer talk about how Allen's WR's dropped more footballs than most other teams they have seen and none of them were that talented.

I haven't watched a ton of Rudolph film, but think I might look for the K-State game to see what he did under pressure. Sounds like that was the case from a few things I read.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Or maybe they watch film of him playing and not just statistics?

Its like everybody that keeps harping on Josh Allen's completion percentage, but I have read comments and heard pundits like Mike Mayock, Jordan Palmer talk about how Allen's WR's dropped more footballs than most other teams they have seen and none of them were that talented.

I haven't watched a ton of Rudolph film, but think I might look for the K-State game to see what he did under pressure. Sounds like that was the case from a few things I read.

Sure I could do that. But the question I ask still holds. The perception is out there that Rudolph can not operate under duress and is a poor thrower when he has to reset his feet. Now PFF's stats would say that isn't the case in 2017 at all. So, which is perception and which is reality? Both film and stats can lie if you look at them a certain way.

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 11:32 AM
So help me out with this. What does anyone think of the career back-up position now at QB?

Currently being filled by Landry Jones. After last draft Dobbs was the "developmental" QB that had upside.

What if Dobbs is now the career #2 caddy type of QB and Rudolph is the "developmental/starter in waiting" type and Jones is bagging groceries?

I'm starting to think that after you take all 4 to camp and put Ben in shrink wrap, you walk out with the best 2 behind Ben...or maybe just the youngest 2?
Bagging groceries? Backup is a lucrative job with lots of security. Jones will land for sure.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Ok. Took a look at the Oklahoma game -- https://youtu.be/ATT1uImROIA and the VT game -- https://youtu.be/YEgGyWTsP80

Dude is fearless and bounces back well from mistakes and turnovers. But when he has to reset his base after his initial drop, he seems to get inaccurate and sail the ball. He also just seems to randomly chuck a throw to nowhere now and then.

Overall, a 3rd round pick that can throw deep like that? Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Bagging groceries? Backup is a lucrative job with lots of security. Jones will land for sure.

I just meant from a Steelers POV.

st33lersguy
04-28-2018, 12:34 PM
I do like Rudolph and Washington better together as a tandem due to familiarity

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Both film and stats can lie if you look at them a certain way.

I've heard the saying "the tape doesn't lie".

I've also heard my 3rd year Statistics Professor say that "statistically speaking the average human being has one breast and one testicle....but try and find that person on the planet" Stats can be misleading.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 01:24 PM
I've heard the saying "the tape doesn't lie".

I've also heard my 3rd year Statistics Professor say that "statistically speaking the average human being has one breast and one testicle....but try and find that person on the planet" Stats can be misleading.

Since Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Geno Smith, and any # of "bust" QBs indicate, if you look at the tape wrong and let yourself only see what you want to see -- tape can lie as well.

As for stats, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Craic
04-28-2018, 02:01 PM
So, I watched a little tape on the guy (not much, but a little). I'm concerned about two things: (1) arm strength and (2) looking off DBs.

1. At times the ball seems slow getting to the flat. It looks as though he has to put more effort into throwing than the average QB. Of course, it could just be his motion or it might be deceiving on tape, but that's something I'd keep an eye on. The second thing is that he eyes his number 1 receiver and then, if he's open, throws to him. That's a recipe for getting our WRs lit up and injured. That said, he has a couple of years to drop that habit and a great QB to learn from.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Since Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Geno Smith, and any # of "bust" QBs indicate, if you look at the tape wrong and let yourself only see what you want to see -- tape can lie as well.

As for stats, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Geno Smith? Tape didn't lie, he was inconsistent, threw short passes for completion stats, fumbled the football and played poorly in bad weather. Scouting report was that teammates didn't respect him and that proved true when 6th round LB punched him in the Jets Locker room and nobody backed him up. Chiefs had the #1 pick and Andy Reid chose to go trade for Alex Smith instead of draft Geno.

Ryan Leaf...tape didn't lie. He could make all the throws, probably some ill advise, but strong arm made it happen in college. The kid was a headcase and that busted him in the NFL more than talent and what he put on tape.

Akili Smith, he only had 1 good season in the PAC-10 and arguably didn't have good mechanics. Bungles took a flyer on a 1 year wonder and he busted. Not surpising.

I'll try and have a look at the K State game and some others, but if some are saying Rudolph didn't handle pressure well. It could very well be true and you would just have to see it on tape to know its true or not.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Geno Smith? Tape didn't lie, he was inconsistent, threw short passes for completion stats, fumbled the football and played poorly in bad weather. Scouting report was that teammates didn't respect him and that proved true when 6th round LB punched him in the Jets Locker room and nobody backed him up. Chiefs had the #1 pick and Andy Reid chose to go trade for Alex Smith instead of draft Geno.

Ryan Leaf...tape didn't lie. He could make all the throws, probably some ill advise, but strong arm made it happen in college. The kid was a headcase and that busted him in the NFL more than talent and what he put on tape.

Akili Smith, he only had 1 good season in the PAC-10 and arguably didn't have good mechanics. Bungles took a flyer on a 1 year wonder and he busted. Not surpising.

I'll try and have a look at the K State game and some others, but if some are saying Rudolph didn't handle pressure well. It could very well be true and you would just have to see it on tape to know its true or not.

I don't know why we are communicating past one another. This is what I said "If you look at the tape wrong and let yourself only see what you want to see -- tape can lie as well. "

Tape is no more inherently right or wrong than stats and vice versa. Both require person assessing them to understand what the information source is telling them, what it is not telling them, and how best to filter through it to arrive at the best conclusion.

In your stats prof example, one could argue that anyone with common sense would look at that and be like, well you are missing a parameter there. There are two sexes of human beings and you have to average them independently of one another.

Or one could look at the tape of Geno Smith and ignore the bad and only look at the good.

86WARD
04-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Maybe he shines in the preseason and the Steelers can Garappolo him?

I’m good with both of these!! Lol.

86WARD
04-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Unfortunately, Dobbs will follow the footsteps of Tee Martin and Landry Jones will be the number 2 in 2018...hope for the best in 2019...

Shoes
04-28-2018, 07:43 PM
They are both in the same ballpark.

Ben Passing

Passing

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
G
Cmp
Att
Pct
Yds
Y/A
AY/A
TD
Int
Rate

2001 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2001.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2001.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2001.html)
FR
QB

2002 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2002.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2002.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2002.html)
SO
QB

*2003 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2003.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2003.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2003.html)
JR
QB

Career
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/)

Mason Passing

Passing

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
G
Cmp
Att
Pct
Yds
Y/A
AY/A
TD
Int
Rate

*2014 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2014.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2014.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2014.html)
FR
QB

*2015 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2015.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2015.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2015.html)
SO
QB

*2016 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2016.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2016.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2016.html)
JR
QB

*2017 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2017.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2017.html)
SR
QB

Career
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/)

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 07:54 PM
My opinion, Dobbs will have to take major steps to keep his job in Pittsburgh.

Like it are not, Jones is one of the better back ups in the NFL, and I can't see the Steelers going with two young QB's behind Ben. They've been patient with Jones since he was drafted, so I don't see them giving up on him now. He is however a UFA after this upcoming season but I doubt it'll be expensive to retain him

Dwinsgames
04-28-2018, 07:54 PM
They are both in the same ballpark.

Ben Passing

Passing

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
G
Cmp
Att
Pct
Yds
Y/A
AY/A
TD
Int
Rate

2001 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2001.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2001.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2001.html)
FR
QB

2002 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2002.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2002.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2002.html)
SO
QB

*2003 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2003.html)
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/2003.html)
MAC (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/2003.html)
JR
QB

Career
Miami (OH) (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/)

Mason Passing

Passing

Year
School
Conf
Class
Pos
G
Cmp
Att
Pct
Yds
Y/A
AY/A
TD
Int
Rate

*2014 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2014.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2014.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2014.html)
FR
QB

*2015 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2015.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2015.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2015.html)
SO
QB

*2016 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2016.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2016.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2016.html)
JR
QB

*2017 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017.html)
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/2017.html)
Big 12 (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-12/2017.html)
SR
QB

Career
Oklahoma State (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/)

not that it will matter in the end but Masons numbers are better than Bens at the college level and Mason played vs a higher level of competition ...

we were ALL stoked to get Ben .... but several seem not so thrilled to get Mason because we still have Ben ...

this MIGHT be a guess but I wonder of the ones not so thrilled how many of them lived and were Steelers fans from 1985-2003 ?

because not having a quality QB sucks and I lived and suffered through those years ...

sure I worry what if Mason Rudolph isnt the guy but what gives me hope is this organization isnt sitting idly by assuming Ben will play forever

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Colbert: Steelers Had Mason Rudolph With 1st-Round QBs, Considered Taking Him In 2nd

ByMatthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2018

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/colbert-steelers-had-mason-rudolph-with-1st-round-qbs-considered-taking-him-in-2nd/

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Colbert: Steelers Had Mason Rudolph With 1st-Round QBs, Considered Taking Him In 2nd

ByMatthew Marczi
Posted on April 28, 2018

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/colbert-steelers-had-mason-rudolph-with-1st-round-qbs-considered-taking-him-in-2nd/

https://m.popkey.co/dd18dc/Wove_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
Excited

Craic
04-28-2018, 09:57 PM
not that it will matter in the end but Masons numbers are better than Bens at the college level and Mason played vs a higher level of competition ...

we were ALL stoked to get Ben .... but several seem not so thrilled to get Mason because we still have Ben ...

this MIGHT be a guess but I wonder of the ones not so thrilled how many of them lived and were Steelers fans from 1985-2003 ?

because not having a quality QB sucks and I lived and suffered through those years ...

sure I worry what if Mason Rudolph isnt the guy but what gives me hope is this organization isnt sitting idly by assuming Ben will play forever

I'm not too excited, but that's because I'm not completely sure about him. That doesn't mean he isn't going to make it or be able to be a successor IMO. I'm just worried about arm strength and the current inability to look off DBs. The latter can be coached, but the former takes a lot of dedication to fix as well as working on mechanics. Either way, I look forward to seeing him camp this summer.

Mojouw
04-29-2018, 11:30 AM
I'm not too excited, but that's because I'm not completely sure about him. That doesn't mean he isn't going to make it or be able to be a successor IMO. I'm just worried about arm strength and the current inability to look off DBs. The latter can be coached, but the former takes a lot of dedication to fix as well as working on mechanics. Either way, I look forward to seeing him camp this summer.

His mechanics are just seemingly odd and all over the place. Rudolph seems to just have a refusal to move his feet and hips once set. Works okay when he just loads up and whips it deep, but leads to inaccurate passes on short to intermediate stuff. That and he doesn't make great throws when he has to move off his spot and reset. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco.

stillers4me
04-29-2018, 11:58 AM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21378937

Shoes
04-29-2018, 12:05 PM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21378937

Looks like he was moving his feet & hips to me.

Mojouw
04-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Looks like he was moving his feet & hips to me.

https://youtu.be/ATT1uImROIA

All the throws in the Oklahoma game. Watch the first 5. He just flutters and sails short to intermediate throws because his feet and hips look they are bolted to the ground. Then he uncorks a beautiful deep ball.

https://youtu.be/YEgGyWTsP80

Look at the little odd roll-out thing at around 1 minute into the VT game, he couldn't look any more uncomfortable.

https://youtu.be/7PtPg8iDJJ8

Then in the Iowa State game he moves really well in the pocket!

The more I look, the more I think all this kid has to do is clean up some mechanical issues and he will be a really good NFL QB.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm likley just over-reacting because I've been spoiled by over a dozen years of this kind of unrealistic comparisons: https://youtu.be/tZgzKFWgMGw

I mean when you compare almost anyone to Ben R under pressure, they are going to fall short.

A final note on the footwork stuff and I am no expert or even really know what I am talking about. But watch Rudolph throw. Then watch Ben throw. Notice how Rudolph barely moves/rotates his lower body/hips through the throw, particularly on short and intermediate stuff? It is all arm and initial leg drive. That seems to be somehow connected to his accuracy issues (sailing or driving balls into the dirt). In contrast, Ben (again highlight videos so caution is needed) typically seems to rotate his lower body through the throw and drive the ball towards his target. What I mean is that Rudolph's back leg ends up behind him and off the ground in his follow through. Essentially, Rudolphs feet and hips start and end the throwing motion in the same place. With Rudolph's body perpendicular to this target. Ben's ends up pulling his lower body square with his target and on the ground next to his plant foot. Does this matter? No Idea. If it does, it looks correctable.

Shoes
04-29-2018, 12:35 PM
https://youtu.be/ATT1uImROIA

All the throws in the Oklahoma game. Watch the first 5. He just flutters and sails short to intermediate throws because his feet and hips look they are bolted to the ground. Then he uncorks a beautiful deep ball.

https://youtu.be/YEgGyWTsP80

Look at the little odd roll-out thing at around 1 minute into the VT game, he couldn't look any more uncomfortable.

https://youtu.be/7PtPg8iDJJ8

Then in the Iowa State game he moves really well in the pocket!

The more I look, the more I think all this kid has to do is clean up some mechanical issues and he will be a really good NFL QB.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm likley just over-reacting because I've been spoiled by over a dozen years of this kind of unrealistic comparisons: https://youtu.be/tZgzKFWgMGw

I mean when you compare almost anyone to Ben R under pressure, they are going to fall short.

A final note on the footwork stuff and I am no expert or even really know what I am talking about. But watch Rudolph throw. Then watch Ben throw. Notice how Rudolph barely moves/rotates his lower body/hips through the throw, particularly on short and intermediate stuff? It is all arm and initial leg drive. That seems to be somehow connected to his accuracy issues (sailing or driving balls into the dirt). In contrast, Ben (again highlight videos so caution is needed) typically seems to rotate his lower body through the throw and drive the ball towards his target. What I mean is that Rudolph's back leg ends up behind him and off the ground in his follow through. Essentially, Rudolphs feet and hips start and end the throwing motion in the same place. With Rudolph's body perpendicular to this target. Ben's ends up pulling his lower body square with his target and on the ground next to his plant foot. Does this matter? No Idea. If it does, it looks correctable.

I think he is going to be a good QB, but he hasn't even been fitted for a Steeler uniform yet. He is very competitive, a good leader and will work extremely hard. I think he will be the #2 QB when the season starts. I have no idea whereJones and Dobbs will end up, but I Rudolph is on a mission and I think he will succeed.

Ben had to move, he didn't have an O-Line most of his career. :chuckle:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/3/17073246/mason-rudolph-draft-oklahoma-state-qb-2018

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000919190/Combine-Whiteboard-Mason-Rudolph-with-Steve-Mariucci

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2018, 05:46 PM

I think they mean pressure in the clutch. Ok State was down by 3 points with 1:39 left in the game on the Oklahoma Sooners 39 yard line and only managed 2 yards(and lost the game) . Then 2 weeks later vs Kansas State with over 2 minutes left in the game and down by 5, Rudolph had 2WR's drop passes and he over threw 2 WR's. The question becomes "does he just not have the clutch factor?"

Good article here about the K state game. https://pistolsfiringblog.com/cowboys-final-drive-against-kansas-state-eerily-similar-to-bedlam/

Steve Smith said on NFL network...."Mason Rudolph, inconsistent and ball sails too much".

I think 3rd round was good place to get him. I hope he has a couple years of good QB coaching to clean up mechanics and be consistent.

EzraTank
04-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Just as long as he doesn't like to party in bathroom's with college girls.

BlackAndGold
04-29-2018, 09:27 PM

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2018, 09:32 PM
Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco.

good thing Joe Flacco is elite :wink02:

BlackAndGold
04-29-2018, 09:38 PM
good thing Joe Flacco is elite :wink02:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site21/2013/0203/20130203_105652_Flacco_500.jpg

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 03:34 PM
http://presnapreads.com/2018/04/07/mason-rudolph-is-worthy-of-being-a-first-round-pick/

Glowing review of Rudolph.

Shoes
04-30-2018, 07:54 PM
http://presnapreads.com/2018/04/07/mason-rudolph-is-worthy-of-being-a-first-round-pick/

Nice read, thanks for the link!

GBMelBlount
04-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Nice....

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/universe-of-smash-bros-lawl/images/1/1b/Worst_Rudolph.png/revision/latest?cb=20151125161342

Craic
04-30-2018, 08:29 PM
Watching a bit of video, there are plays that kind reminded me of Ben. Moreover, my concern about his arm strength seems to not show up on these videos like they did on a couple of others. Perhaps it was just the video that made the ball look slower (as I said it might have been, same way I got fooled by Watt looking slower on video than he turned out to be). I also noticed he scrambled to his weak side, reset his feet and threw a nice bomb downfield. So, I don't know. Two years behind Ben may be exactly what this kid needs to develop and be ready for the NFL.

crcsnail
05-01-2018, 12:44 AM
Very good read . Thanks for sharing.

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 08:58 AM

Shoes
05-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Nice to see Alex agree with me. :chuckle: